Dave asked:

"Mr Gassama,

But what else in the world can anyone value more than life??"

This is in reaction to the following from Gassama:

"Now to answer those who seem to think that Gambians do not value rule of law, good governance, human rights etc. let me just say that you must be deluding yourselves if that is what you think. There is nothing farther from the truth and reality on the ground is there for all to see. What the majority of Gambians living here and support Jammeh and his government are saying is that, we have our priorities. Someone who is dirty and needs a bath cares more for water than soap. Someone on a long journey and tired of walking does not care whether he gets a lift from donkey cart driver, horse cart driver or limousine driver. For one in that position, getting a lift is more of a priority than the mode of transport. "

Mr. Manneh,

I have never tried to justify the shooting of the student demonstrators way back in April 2000. It was a very tragic occasion for the whole nation. I have also, on one of those very rare occasions that I concur with Dampha, condemned the passing of the indemnity bill last year by the previous National Assembly.

I also happen to strongly in the sanctity of life and that its sanctity should be respected by all and sundry. I once quoted the Roman Catholic Pope who said, "Murder is murder, whatever the motive". On this occasion, the pope was speaking after a reprisal murderous revenge attack by some Catholics against some protestants in Northern Ireland. In short, life is very important!!

However, one may be forgiven for asking the question "Is living, all that is important"? I will attempt to answer it by saying No!. I would rather be dead than live the rest of my life in destitude and misery. I also pray to God to protect and guide me so that I never find myself in a situation where I may even comtemplate the taking of anyone's life.

My problem with some on the list, is not their condemnation of the government when it does something wrong, but their arrogant attitude of, dismissing everybody and every thing they disagree with, as nonentities or ill-informed.

Finally Dave, I respect your stance, vis-a-vis, the murder of the demonstrating students. I would however implore you to understand that those of us who are calling for forgiveness and reconciliation also believe that an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. We don't have to spill any more Gambian blood.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-