Saiks,

Thanks for the new perspective that you've brought into the debate. I must first of all confess that my knowledge of the global economy is very limited. As such, I would appreciate it very much if you would throw more light into some of the negative aspects of globalisation and how we might learn from other people's mistakes. This is particularly so because this gateway project seems to have a lot in common with some of the examples you highlighted. We cannot afford to make the same mistakes.

Having said that, you would agree with me that our choices, as of now, are very limited. Our available land for agriculture is not big and our choice of produce not very diverse. And yet, this sector contributes more to our GDP than any other sector. The second highest contributor to GDP, tourism, is also something that we have very little control over and from what I have read from Edi Sidibeh's articles, we need to plan very carefully and develop strategies that would benefit us while safeguarding against some of its potential negative aspects. For this reason, it is very important that we scrutinise every strategy our government takes to try to pave a way for Gambians so that, at the end of the day, we would have exhausted all our options.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~