Saiks,

I am not disputing that you quoted it from an authentic report. What I am saying is that the press release from the US embassy in Banjul commends The Gambia for conducting presidential and National elections that most international observers deemed to have been generally free and fair albeit with some shortcomings. This is supported by the same article you reproduced for me to read. It is this same report that says:

"In the October presidential election, which MOST OBSERVERS considered to be RELATIVELY FREE and FAIR DESPITE SOME SHORTCOMINGS, CITIZENS EXERCISED THEIR RIGHT TO CHANGE THE GOVERNMENT, THE PRESIDENT WAS RE-ELECTED, Presidential election day passed SMOOTHLY AND WITHOUT INCIDENT, despite predictions to the contrary". Emphasis mine.

The same report also says:

"The repeal of Decree 89 allowed some previously banned political parties to participate, OPPOSITION PARTIES HAD FAIR AND FREQUENT ACCESS TO THE STATE-OWNED RADIO AND TELEVISION DURING THE CAMPAIGN, VOTER PARTICPATION WAS HIGH AND VOTING TOOK PLACE ORDERLY". Emphasis mine.

Saiks, the above two extracts from the same report clearly vindicates the government or IEC of any electoral mal-practice. I am sure any unbiased person can only come to the conclusion that both elections were above board. In fact any election that is described as above can even be described as exceptional! No ifs or buts there.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~