Yus wrote:

"Gassama:

Everything you have listed here is a foreign initiative."

Nope, Yus. None of the initiatives are foreign initiatives. Some of them may be foreign funded but that does not make them foreign initiatives.

Given, they are "possitive" developments for the people of The Gambia, but it would be nice to see a long term plan for the supply of water out there."

You again wrote:

"Gambians do not need wells. Instead, clean running water from boreholes that use pipes to get to there destination so that folks can drink clean and sanitized water. Thats what we need not more wells."

My answer to the above would be to use Momodou Camara's email signature which goes:

"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible".

At the moment what is necessary is to have clean water and what is possible is to construct concrete-lined covered wells with hand pumps in most cases and sometimes solar powered. Perhaps in the next 15 or so years from now we would be doing what may seem impossible now.

Saiks,

I have answered your question regarding what government is doing to provide clean drinking water for our rural folks quite precisely. Perhaps you do not like the manner I answered it but the fact of the matter remains that as far as our rural folks and I are concerned it does not matter who constructs the well or funds its construction. What we care about is to have clean drinking water.

Secondly, donor partners and NGOs alike, are only doing what government wants and allows them to do. They cannot initiate anything without government approval. If that is the case, then we are speaking the same language here.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~