Yus,

I agree with most of what you've said. I however believe that you are underestimating the quality of these wells. They are not the open primitive types that we grew up with. Those cost only a few hundred Dalasis and are not usually done properly. These ones however, are dug by professional well diggers under the supervision of water engineers, with the Department of Water Resources or the UNDP usually providing the Water engineers. They are always concrete-lined to prevent 'surface water' from seeping into them and covered with a concrete top and a hand pump erected on top of it. This is what you will find in most small villages.

Bigger villages and towns usually have solar powered reticulation systems and usually have several points where stand pipes are erected for communal use. These are opened for use usually twice a day, in the mornings and in the afternoons. To ensure their sustainability, each household usually makes a monthly contribution of D5.00 to a village comunity fund to pay for their maintenance. Government inspectors usually make rounds to see that any maintenance and use agreement is implemented. I am sure you will agree with me that this is a far cry from what some of us knew as kids.

As for planning for the long term, this is entrusted to NAWEC. Whether they have such medium to long term plans, I really cannot tell.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-