Saiks wrote:

"There is so much truth in this but a common West African market or a common currency does not necessarily mean that these institutions will disappear from the continent. These institutions have an interest to take care and that these interest will be in conflict with the interest of ordinary Africans is without doubt most likely than not.

I am presently with the feeling that we still need our trade barriers and we should be more nationalistic in taking care of these barriers."

Saiks, like I said before, I am not very conversant with monetary matters particularly when it has to do with globalisation and common currency matters. I would however like to give my opinion regarding trade barriers, government subsidies, common currencies and regional integration.

I am of the opinion that in the case of The Gambia, we  have more to gain from an integrated market and common currency that we are likely to loose. This will not happen however unless our people, particularly SMEs, are sufficiently sensitized about the advantages and dis-advantages of having a common currency or an integrated regional market. I strongly believe that most Africans would rather buy from Europe or America than from within Africa or our sub-region. For example, why do we have to import cement from the UK or Poland when we could have imported cement of the same quality, if not better quality, from neighbouring Mauritanea? Why do we have to import milk from Holland or Denmark when we could have imported the same from senegal at a much cheaper cost with no need to look for Dollars or Pound sterling? I believe that for regional trade to take place effectively, we need an alternative to trading in foreign currencies. What I am not sure of is whether a common currency would be the answer or not. For example, why not make our currencies easily converatable in our sub-region for a start and see how it would affect our currencies or economies while at the same time allow our respective currencies to find their own levels prior to having a common currency?

As for putting up trade barriers, it is only the poor countries who are forced to open wide their markets whilst the rich put up barriers that bar the import of our produce. This is done directly by the EU by the subsidies it gives to its farmers and indirectly by all the rich countries by indoctrinating their people against buying some of our produce for health reasons. We have seen this over and over again when tourists visiting our countries are strongly cautioned against drinking our water or eating our foods. These visitors are scared out of their senses about all sorts of things that we all know is just to encourage them to be eating imported European products such as salted peanuts, peanut butter, mineral water, imported fruit juices, alcahol, meat, poultry etc, etc. The EU in particular would come here fish our fishes, take them away for consumption and yet if you try sending  even a limited amount of fish to a relative in Europe the obstacles that would be put your way would totally put you off. Anyway, I put the blame squarely on our governments. I cannot for the life of me understand why we do not put such import restrictions on things like peanuts, peanut butter, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, goundnut oil, mineral water, some beverages etc, etc. This would discourage their import and encourage our people to produce some of these. If people can sell these products locally, they would produce them. However if you want them to compete with EU farmers with all their state subsidies, then they don't stand a chance. They must be given some degree of advantage.

In the case of the USA, you have the Food And Drug Aministration (FDA) that applies so many rules and standards on what can be brought to their country that most people do not even bother to try to export anything to them.

Finally, I hope that the Gambia Chamber of Commerce and Industries (GCCI) would discuss these issues thoroughly so that we would make the best of what a common currency or integrated market could bring us. Even though we are not a manufacturing nation per se, our strategic location, existing facilities and human resources puts us in a very favourable position to improve our lot. Our business people must also look into the markets of member states to see what we need from each other that can be imported much more cheaply than only importing western countries. We must also improve communications between our countries. As of now, not more than four African airlines fly into Banjul. You are more likely to fly in a European airline when you want to go to places like Guinea Conakry, Zambia, Namibia, Egypt, South Africa, Angola etc. In fact, I dare say that for a Gambian to travel to over 80 % of the African continent and over 95 % of the rest of the world is more likely to travel by a western airline and would most probably spend a few days on transit in one or more of their capitals. Why should this be the case? Which African airline travels within Europe? I would say none!

These were a few thoughts I had and I hope more people would give their opinions about it.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~