Culled from The daily Observer.

Baby boy found alive on dead mothers back Two weeks after sea disaster

A baby boy was found alive on his dead mother’s back, nearly two weeks after the sea disaster that claimed several lives along the Banjul Barra route, reports reaching the Daily Observer revealed. According to reports, the baby and the mother were among scores of passengers who reportedly drowned in the sea on the day of the accident and were found on the banks of the river at the Barra end about a week ago.

The baby, according to reports, looked tired by the time he and his dead mother were found on the banks of the river. He was rushed to an undisclosed health centre where he was admitted. Reports further revealed that the bodies of another Mauritanian national and that of a Gambian were recovered with cash in the sums of D100, 000 and D30,000 respectively, in their bags. The body of a Senegalese national, based in Italy and on a day’s visit to Banjul, was also reportedly found together with his wife and children. Reports are now putting the number of dead at 58 or more as more dead bodies are being recovered almost on a daily basis since the disaster.

However, the Royal Victoria Hospital’s public relations officer, said the hospital did not receive the baby whose mysterious survival was reported but that the body of a Mauritanian national was recovered in Sitanunku, Upper Niumi and was buried there. He said about sixty people are reported to be still unaccounted for. It could be recalled that disaster struck at sea some three weeks ago when two passenger boats capsized with a considerable number of people on board.

Woman acknowledges herbalist talent

Astou Secka, a Senegalese national, has hailed and acknowledged the talent of a Ghanaian herbalist, Dr Alhaji Ibun Abubakarr, residing in Burufut Ghana town, describing him as a supernaturally talented herbalist whose kind is one in a million. Astou who hailed from a senegalese village, Rufisque, told the Daily Observer that she had been suffering from a very serious eye and body pain for the past years and had tried so many hospitals both in Senegal and The Gambia and local marabout but still was unable to find cure for her sickness which landed her in many difficult situations, including divorce.

After undergoing so many treatments in Senegal without noticing any sign of improvement on my health, I then decided to leave for The Gambia, some time in January and while in the provinces, a marabout directed me to Dr Ibun Abukarr, whom I visited last week and explained my problems to him. He told, me that he could cure it but I could not believed it. Then I stayed with him taking my medicine and I was cured within a week. Now I am not feeling any pain and my eyes which were disturbing me, are no more disturbing me and when I was coming to him, my two eyes were as red as a drop of blood but now, you can even see it for yourself. My eyes are white and clear as what,” Astou told the Daily Observer. “I though I was finished but thank God I meet people of Dr Abukarr’s calibre, who saved me from being blind and his knowledge is full,” said Astou.

The herbal doctor, Dr Abukarr, speaking to the Daily Observer said he could cure all kinds of sickness by the help of the Almighty God. He said he cured Asatou in a week noting that he had cured more serious sicknesses. Dr Abukarr claimed that he normally obtained his herbs from Ghana, bring them to The Gambia process, use them herbs as medicine.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-