Our Nuts Would Not Move - Farmers

Some repeated calls were again made by farmers on the need to pay them for theuir nuts. This time the farmers, at the top of their voice, said that even if the heaven and the earth break into one, their nuts would not move an inch without the payment of what it owed to them. This was the message received at The Point last Friday when a group of farmers on a visit to Banjul stormed our offices. The group that comprised over half a dozen people from part of CRD and LRD narrated that when a transport came to collect their groundnuts in Niamina Dalaba, they protested that their groundnuts would neither be loaded in the vehicle nor be transported anywhere without the payments of the money owed to them. They complained that since November they could not get their money for their groundnuts. “

The Ramadan came, it was worse, while Tobaski became the worst for us. How can they treat us like this? Trying to take our nuts without our money” complained Ebou Bah. They further complained that if the Government cannot help them alleviate their sufferings, they should not laugh at them in such a manner. Meanwhile reports, reaching this reporter, are indicating a similar situation in the other parts of the country. They say some farmers’ nuts are not yet paid for.

It could be recalled that the SECY for Agriculture, Mr. Assan Sallah about a week ago called the editor of this paper to react to our Editorial on credit buying. According to SECY Sallah, credit buying has been reduced over the past few weeks.

He further revealed that as at now it stands at D45m which according to him should have been reduced with the pumping of an additional D23m. For the remaining, Sallah said, plans are afoot to clear all the debts by the end of this month. He also indicated that some 70, 000 tons were bought this year as against last year’s 43, 000 tons. SECY Sallah also declared that farmers were indeed consulted about the closure of the season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~