Folks,

As we commemorate the tragic events of April 10/11, 2000, here is a fitting reminder from The Point's editorial column. Unfortunately, The Daily Observer has not futured anything concerning the April 10/11 2000.

Have a good day, Gassa.

April 10/11 Revisited

Two years ago this day, our hear bled for the innocent that lost their lives

We remember calling the actors the good, the bad and the ugly.

Lets look at our April 12 editorial "The good ones were the peaceful students who were sincerely demonstrating for government to address their demand for speedy justice in the two cases that they had clearly lamented over and over. And the security forces that showed restraint.

The bad ones were the students? Or vandals who engaged in wanton destruction of properties. This was unwarranted and condemned by all and sundry.

The ugly gave the orders and the others carried them out, causing the unwarranted killing and maiming of innocent school children with gun fired from, by Gambian standards, their fathers, uncles, brothers and cousins."

It was terrible and unacceptable.

And then the enquiries were carried out. Later, government pardoned the culprits thereby causing an outcry for such an indemnity from both The Gambia and beyond her borders.

Last year, GAMSU celebrated the event in dignity. This year GAMSU has decided to celebrate it in dignity.

We salute GAMSU for extending their hands for a constructive dialogue with the authorities.

Government has granted amnesty to the officers who pulled the trigger and said that it would not prosecute the former GAMSU leadership. However, the question that one must ask is, what plans has government in terms of compensation for the families of those who lost their lives?

Is government considering compensation?

May the souls of those who fell on 10/11 April rest in perfect peace.

"11 Likhlass for the departed souls and pray for peace in The Gambia"

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~