Sanusi,

You are right that I should have followed events concerning my company with regards to the then commissions of inquiry. Unfortunately however, at the time I did not really care about the events unfolding in the country, particularly the commissions. I was only interested in my work and very little else. During the first few years of the coupe I was involved in a number of global submarine cable projects which meant that I was out of the country very frequently. In addition to that I was also overseeing the expansion of the network in the country. For this reason the little spare time I had was mainly dedicated to my work and very little else.

Secondly, and I have said it here before, I did not have any faith in our new leadership at the time. I was very much convinced that they were bad news for the country. I also hated their inteference in Gamtel. This view was further buttressed when we were asked to provide nationwide radio and TV coverage for the country instead of a phased introduction of a national TV and nationwide radio. However a lot of things have happened to change my mindset since then.

These, Sanusi, are the main reasons why I do not know much about Mr. Njie's case or most of the other cases. I can assure you that my working in Gamtel had absolutely no bearing on the answer I gave you. I hope my position is much clearer now.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-
>From: Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: One Step Towards Justice-Gassa
>Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:32:08 +0100
>
>Gassa
>
>Please note that I made a mistake by asking you that
>question about Bakary Njie. Knowing that you are an
>Employee of Gamtel, it was very likely that you will
>give me an EXCUSE about Bakary Njie's appointment. I
>do understand your situation and that is life under
>APRC.
>
>You wrote;
>
>" Being no legal expert and not familiar with the
>ruling of the commision in his case, as I was not in
>the country then, it would have been very unfair to
>try to give any opinion"
>
>Gassa
>
>Notwithstanding you were out of the country, Bakary
>Njie appearnce before a Commission of Enquiry was in
>the public domain and no patriotic Gambia would have
>lost sight about this Inquiry. For your information, I
>have been out of the country for quite awhile, but I
>have always made time to enquire on what is happening
>in the Gambia. I have followed the events taking place
>in the Gambia since President Jammeh came to power. I
>don't alawys have to be there to draw my own
>conclusions on certain issues which are factual. By
>the way, I did have in my possession, a copy of the
>Newspaper article indicating that Mr Njie has been
>ordered to pay D9million and be retired from public
>office. In that same article, the Commission made a
>judicial order for Eliman Cham to be reinstated ass
>Deputy Managing Director. You see Gassa eventhough I
>was away from The Gambia, I still followed the events,
>so why did n't you to do the same?.
>

>Since there was a Commission of Enquiry into the
>activities of your department, then surely you should
>made time to follow the events. Being a Senior Figure
>within GAMTEL, there must have a genuine reason for
>you to follow events taking place in The Commission of
>Inquiry. So Gassa, take note about this information,
>it may be one day useful.
>
>Have a wonderful day

Send and receive