Ngorr Ciise asked:

"Can you cite any DEVELOPED country where Grade 9 students are prevented from taking their final exams because their parents can't afford - thanks to an irresponsible and corrupt gov't - to pay the exam fees?

And whilst we are at it: can you cite any period during the PPP when 53 Grade 9 students were prevented from taking their final exams because their parents can't afford to pay their exam fees?"

Ngorr, first and foremost, it is very disingenuous of you to try to draw parallels between 'DEVELOPED' countries and The Gambia. As such, I cannot answer your question.

As to your second question as whether I can cite a period during the time of the PPP when 53 Grade 9 students were prevented from taking final exams because their parents could not afford to pay their exams fees, my answer is that I can cite tens of thousand of cases much worst than this. Ngorr, according to our 1993 census, the population of The Gambia was 1.2 million and yet we had places for less than 20,000 pupils beyond grade 6. This means that tens of thousands of school going children never made it beyond grade 6 each year. This should be quite obvious to anyone accepts the possibilty of at least 5% of our 1.2 million people (60,000 children) were of school going age.

As to what this government is doing for the education of our kids, let me refresh your mind of the developments that has happened in just the past 2 years.

From the 2002 budget speech, read on!

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~