Interview With Mayor Elect Of Banjul

Pa Sallah Jeng

FOROYAA: Can you tell our readers your educational background?

Pa Sallah: I was schooled here in Banjul up to GCE O’Level, had a year’s working experience at GPMB and as a teacher at Farafenni Secondary Technical School and then left for the United States in 1977.

FOROYAA: What were you doing in the United States?

Pa Sallah: In the United States I also furthered my education, one year in high school, college and then university up to a Masters Degree in Business Administration.

FOROYAA: So when did you come back to the Gambia?

Pa Sallah: Actually I came in 1984 for a visit, went back and in 1985 I finally came back for good.

FOROYAA: What were you doing, when you come back?

Pa Sallah: When I came back I was teaching at Muslim High School for a while, Nusrat High School and then I quit the teaching profession. Every now and then I would be travelling to the US, work for three months and then come back. And then I have been living on the income earned within the three months that I worked for in the United States

.FOROYAA: What motivated you to become a politician?

Pa Sallah: There are a multiple of factors that motivated me. First my interest to help people, secondly I believe I can contribute to the total Gambian socio-economic development, thirdly my family are always involved in politics so the family background comes down. But the bottom line is my willigness and ability to make a difference when it comes in helping the country and working with people.

FOROYAA: You contested the 1997 National Assembly elections as an independent candidate, is it that you share no principle with any of the parties that were existing at the time?

Pa Sallah: Actually I never believe in party politics. I believe that we should think about what is right and do it. I pray for the day to come when Gambians would look more into what somebody is addressing or want to do rather than what party he/she is affiliated to. I strongly believe that what the founding father of America has said at the time that political parties are some of the institutions that will inject interest that does not necessarily comply with national interest. So I am very much committed to these principles. So I want the people to see what is good and in the interest of the country and then we do it, rather than being under party directives.

FOROYAA: Now that you are mayor elect, are you thinking of joining a political party?

Pa Sallah: I am independent and I will remain to be independent, but will work openly with all the parties. If they have brilliant ideas, I will be more than happy to endorse it as long as it is for the interest of the people of Banjul. I don’t care from which party it might come from.

FOROYAA: When do you think you will assume office?

Pa Sallah: There has been a lot of rumours that we were going to do the handing over on the 9th of May. I went to the ministry to find out because I have not received any formal information, but from there I was told that the day was not confirmed yet. I am looking forward and waiting between now against next week may be something will be worked out.

FOROYAA: So what did the IEC say about this?

Pa Sallah: I haven’t contacted them yet, I just went to the ministry to find out and they said very soon.

FOROYAA: As mayor, what principles of work do you have?

Pa Sallah: As mayor, I am going to empower the people of Banjul. Let them decide and I will execute that’s my principle. Anything they want and is feasible and practical, I’m out there to make sure that it is done.

FOROYAA: Do you envisage the SOS for Local Government controlling the municipality and Banjul for that matter?

Pa Sallah: I think the city should be autonomous. I truly think that Banjul the capital city and KMC which is a very big administrative area, should have a very high degree of autonomy. They should work within the framework of central government but in terms of operation, city council and municipalities should be autonomous.

FOROYAA: Do you have projects in mind?

Pa Sallah: A lot.

FOROYAA: Can you name some of them?

Pa Sallah: Getting another city council, getting the drainage system working, street lights, getting the roads up to standard, building skills centres etc, etc. in short our development board will know how best they can do to make Banjul a world class city like I have been saying all about in the campaign.

FOROYAA: Do you have any plan in mind to work with the National Assembly members in Banjul?

Pa Sallah: Yes in fact the three National Assembly members are part of the city development board and they will be attending our meetings and we will be hearing from them and they will be helping us.

FOROYAA: Thank you Pa Sallah.

Pa Sallah: Thank you very much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~