Lamin,

Thank you. It was a pleasure reading you. Sarcastic enough but not condescending, intelligent enough but understand your limitations, Sincere in your commentary but with a generousity of spirit. I join you in wishing Bekai a speedy recovery.

You have opened up an area where all of us can be valuable and not be seen as being apologetic or apathetic. I would love for us to continue discussion (not debate lest Edi gets any funny and wide-eyed ideas) in the area of healthcare and its delivery with specific reference to Gambia. I believe you may have a lot to offer. I hope you will oblige. I promise I will not mention Jammeh or APRC in a derogatory or non-factual manner in this discussion. Are you game?

I do know that medicine, like numerous other professions everywhere in the world would have certain canons or professional oath for their apprentices. And yes the language may vary but the essence is similar.

So since all doctors and aspiring doctors are, at some point in their career, exposed to some oath or the other, efficient delivery of healthcare in a particular country is is not dependent on oath. I think you agree. I also understand that the importation of doctors from cuba has a lot to do with their success in cuba. I tend to believe that there are certain services in a country that can only best be undertaken by its citizens or naturalized citizens. For example; Healthcare, water treatment and distribution, sewerage, military service, police, Judge, Jury, and ambassador. There may be a few more but I wish to focus on Healthcare. The reason I hold this belief is that in addition to the professional oath, familiarity and intelligibility (ability to communicate with your audience) are crucial.

First I guess I would ask you if you think there is anything fundamentally wrong with healthcare delivery in the Gambia. If you thought so, then let's say you are in charge of Healthcare delivery in The Gambia - from construction to staffing and accessibility. Say your budget is not much 5million Dalasis say. Could you share with us how you would proceed to staff and equip them ready to serve your fellow citizens. Let us only consider the current resources in the Gambia in this area.

Les plus importants transformations sont les modifications accidentelles".
Yours truly - Haruna.

Ron,
"No i do'nt have a copy of the Cuban Oath of Hippocrates. 'Guess it may be in Spanish, but basically containing the essence of the ethics laid down by the
Father of Modern (Western) Medicine. How the ceremony is done or the incantations by our Iranian/Iraqi sisters and brothers is knowledge to be sought. I have no clue.

However, students at the Ben-Gurion Medical School in Beer Sheva, Israel, take the physician's oath at the beginning of their studies. Whereas in parts of Australia & New Zealand ethical commitment is made upon graduation,and usually combined with a prize giving ceremony.

Ron, this is one oath which has received a lot of criticism in recent years,when the debate on Euthanasia(or Physician Assisted Death - PAD) has been tabled.

At any rate, i hope the Cuban Doctor at the Serrekunda Health Centre has a strong humane side(with reference to the inspiring history of his country in the field of medicine). I hope he is NO Dr Harold Shipman! Wishing Manneh's brother a continued quick recovery. For you, a top weekend!

Sanyang

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~