Well, Brother Shiek Tijan,

It could be very productive in the sense of developing the tourism sector by organising such fares in the country. I was to respond to you but due to the paradoxical manner on my posting changed my intention. However, tourism is now our largest foreign currency earner and it also employs a large potion of our population, therefore, it should be reform and look into thoroughly by doing or undertake a research to uncover the weaknesses and the threats towards its development. It is really kind of you to sending and informing the people on the progresses because there can be experts among us who could be willing to help in idea brainstorming to rebus the sector.

Considering the back steps, regarding benefits the local population should have gain but enable to, is the fact that, hotelier have dominated the market and preventing entry from the local people. My reason for this, is the fact that, each and every hotel has souvenir shops to preventing the tourist from getting access to the local vendors. The few that are able to reach the local markets are given price to pay for the local product by either the tour operator or the hotel management team.

To distribute the wealth of the tourism, door should be open for the local vendors to demonstrate their products in the eye of the visitor. Secondly, most of the people including myself are having an image that what is white is the best, this is resulting to a disaster to the home producer and their product and the market. If for example a tourist came to the Gambia seeing everyone in suit in the hotel, he or she "might not" be motivated to trying our local dresses.

Secondly, I wish there could be some research and development on palm wine to make it risk free for the visitors by the Banjul brewery to advertise as Gambia trade mark to be introduce in hotels and restaurants and other kinds of traditional wine making that can be developed. Instead of the tourist buying orange, mango, etc products bottled in Spain, or Portugal and sort, why can’t we try ways and means of bottling and brewing them in the country hence there is two or more breweries. These kinds of initiative activities can be attractive to tourist and good to increase the labour face for it will give some motives to the locals to involve in the activities of developing the sector.

To burst up the employment facilities, there could be people such as the educated so called (bomsters) whose job will be to train the tourist our local dances and teaching the local languages at the cost of the tourist, the local language book binders and writers can also have direct benefit by selling their book and stories. The historic places can also gain more by binding booklets to sell them to the tourism. There are lots and lots events to be modernise to creating attraction and profitable selling of the sector. All this should be organise and co-ordinate to benefit the rightful owners. Such activities can motivate the guest to make a repeat purchase or buy more needed stuff being videos or cassettes etc. These are all as well, creating the best picture of the country in the tourist heads and minds, as an unforgettable trip of their life.

Shifting the marketing preference (market the environmental friendliness)

The visitor, the place, and the host community are basic components in tourism. However, the resource bases itself, whether natural or cultural, is fundamental. Marketing activities should be examined in this light. Today's travellers are increasingly well educated, well read, and concerned about the environment. Knowing a destination's perceived environmental record can influence market perception and penetration.

However, green marketing is a potentially dangerous area. It is one of the greatest concerns by critics, as well as the industry, and consumers. The prime criticism is that operators (or destinations) are marketing a product as "green", but are actually doing business as usual, or doing a "green wash". This ecological selling perspective uses general, sweeping statements, to sell. Companies eager to improve their green image have done this. This strategy can backfire.

If you can show you care for the environment as well as the visitor's comfort, you will gain their respect and customer loyalty. An important question is "does the visitor know about your green practices"? In addition, do the media (at all levels) know about them?

Tourism businesses have two "green" opportunities through marketing:

1. How best to depict/help the environment
2. How to improve their own environmental performance to gain competitive advantage

3. Product linkages should be extended into marketing linkages, and there are opportunities to tap into green themes with such green marketing.

The likelihood of tourists being attracted to an area is heightened if each experience builds upon a central travel motivator, for example, if:

Marketing Includes Education - a Tool for Profitability and Sustainability

The division between marketing and information is blurred. Generally, marketing is targeted at potential visitors, while information is aimed at visitors once they have arrived. Marketing and information provision is two key tools for changing visitor behaviour. Visitor education is both an opportunity to market your green dimensions, and an opportunity to educate the visitor to: explain the "why" including why you'd like them to share in the green experience. It may be used to convey the right image so as to target markets - to encourage those niches who most appropriately match the product, which you have to offer. Marketing has a role in both sustainability and profitability. Marketing as a conservation tool can be used to give visitors messages about the environment, for example:

Green Marketing Needs Green Ethics for Sustainability

One of the fundamentals for a sustainable industry is conservation of the resource base, (whether natural or cultural). It is not only a smart long term approach to provide benefits to the resource (research, contributions, dalasi, resource maintenance), but it can add credibility to marketing efforts. Consumers are concerned about the environment, and are likely to ask questions. It makes sense to partner with compatible organisations, whether conservation groups, research facilities, zoos, universities, or museums, for resource benefits, advice, and credibility in marketing. In addition, the greening of internal operations and practice, whether facility based or not, can only add to credibility.

Some of the basic principles for your green marketing program should include the following:

All too often, marketing is a selling tool. But marketing should never be seen as a totally separate area than the product itself. It is important to remember that part of conservation (or resource management) is management of the visitors themselves, and so of their potential impact. This involves education and information, both in outreach (marketing) activities, and during their trip. Marketing and information provision is two key tools for changing visitor behaviour, and showing you care.

STANDARDS FOR IMPROVED COMPETITIVE POSITIONING

The more ethically based approach to marketing gives specific details or examples. Consumers have indicated that they are often confused about which product to select. This is often because there is insufficient information presented to them about the product to make judgements. They need concrete information to select their trip. It should be remembered that ecotourists and those who are interested in environmentally sensitive travel tend to be above average in education and well read. There are many examples of marine and land-based ecotourism codes and standards.

A number of destinations and institutions are offering a greener experience and opportunity for guests. These include:

Finland provides a good example of a sustainable tourism initiative. Part of this involves a CheckList for Tourist Companies, which covers a range of aspects of their operation, which should be addressed. In addition, Finland's Tampere Hall (is the second capital after Helsinki) is an example of the first environmentally sensitive conference facility to market itself as such, globally.

What is the Potential for Growth?

There has been significant growth in ecotourism markets which are among the fastest-growing in tourism, with anything from 10% to 30% growth per year, as compared with 4% p.a. for tourism overall. Individual destinations may have far greater ecotourism growth.

The challenge for The Gambia is to:

  • respond with products that meet environmental, cultural, and economically sustainable principles
  • ensure that, they are well positioned and tailored to suit the target market

However, where co-operation is missing, progress is always difficult to achieve. I love the Gambia and my people and wanting to see a time when everyone will come together despite our political differences to work for the betterment of our beloved country. I don’t have to hate the president or the government to affect my good will to the people’s progress. You can call me names and pick up my syntax or spelling mistakes But you should remember that, am already aware of my grammatical putridity which will be the last thing to apologise for. I preferred apologising for insulting or misunderstanding on the forum than apologising for the grammatical error hence I have seen even the native speakers having difficulty in their own language, were will that leave me?

Thanks

Edi

Better now than ever > cooperation and understanding featuring better Gambia and willingness of her people to commit intellectually

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~