Jammeh visits Mercy ship

By Momodou Trawally of The Gambia Daily

AS the Mercy Ship  MV Anastasia prepares to depart from Banjul port, in two weeks time, President Yahya Jammeh  went on board the vessel for the first time on Friday.

The Anastasia returned to The Gambia in March 2002 at the invitation of President Jammeh, and has berthed at the port of Banjul for the past three months as guest of the government's Department of State for Health and Social Welfare.

Mercy Ships is an inter-denominational Christian relief organisation which uses ocean-going vessels "to bring hope and healing" by offering surgical and dental assistance.

During the ship's first visit to Banjul from January to May 2000 the medical crew of the Anastasia performed surgery on 628 adults and children, including 344 eye procedures.

Service offered

President Jammeh and members of his entourage were able to receive first-hand information on the activities of the crew and others working on the ship during their second coming. The President was received on board by Captain Clement Ketchum and the chief executive officer, Dr Gary Parker, who led him on a conducted tour of the vessel.

Over 350 crew from more than 35 countries, including The Gambia, serve on the 522-foot Anastasis, formerly a cargo vessel now fitted with three operating rooms and two hospital wards, which has been offering free medical services since March 18 when it docked at Banjul port.

Parker informed the President that the medical crew have performed 355 operating room procedures on 346 patients. The ship's dental team performed 3,542 procedures on 1,086 patients, and 2,161 people were taught dental hygiene. The ship's community health team members also provided health education, and assisted in clinical care in the Brikama area including proving lessons in HIV/AIDS prevention.

Gambians are grateful

President Jammeh thanked them for coming to The Gambia for the second time, and for offering free medical care to Gambians and others resident in the country.

Gambians, he said, cannot thank them enough for not only taking care of them, but teaching them valuable lessons such as love, respect and caring for others irrespective of where they come from.

"It is only God who can reward you for what you are doing," President Jammeh said, and that "Gambians are very grateful and will never forget the lessons taught us."

"If as individuals and as communities, we share the little we have, and give part of our hearts in the service of humanity, we can make heaven on earth before we meet God."

"If we follow you people, your example, what a wonderful place this world would be," he said, adding that there will be no hatred, no fighting, no wars, neither suffering."

"We have more than enough wealth in this world, but the majority of it falls in the wrong hands, because people want to be rich and super rich.

"If 20 million US dollars is spent on children in other parts of the world, to give them a brighter future, you will be a better hero than going to space as a tourist," he pointed out.

On behalf of the government and people of The Gambia, the President prayed for God's protection on the crew of the Mercy ship, and called on them to.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~