Folks,

Some months back Gassa wrote to Gambia-L inviting people to discuss issues relating to the intended single currency within the Ecowas region. Since then nothing was said about this very important topic. From the focus on Africa news it seems this single currency idea is still going on and 2003 is set as a target for the currency to start circulating.

What worries me is that such an important change is about to take place and nobody bordered to discuss it.Not even the Government. I haven't seen any reports from any of the local newspapers talking about the pros and cons of a single currency to our economy. I am not even sure if the National Assembly has ever discuss it. I believe there is much to talk about in the topic or atleast the general populations should be well educated or atleast inform of the changes. I don't expect people to wake up one morning only to be told that Gambia has a new currency other than the Dalasi.

It took Europe so many years of discussion and educating the masses before they introduce the euro so why is Gambia want to do it months or weeks.

I am not an  economist and do not know anything about monetory policies  so i don't want to start any discussion but i will love to read contributions from experts. It is such an important topic to be brush away.

Hope to read more on the topic

Gai