Guys,

I share your concerns on this  NEW  BABY THAT HAS BEEN DELIVERED AT THE Durban Conference Centre in the Natal Province of South Africa, under the name, new hope for a continent reputed  as the world’s poorest harbouring mankind’s largest number of the sick, poor, illiterate, ignorant and socially and politically marginalized.

The birth of the AU also sent to the dustbin of history, the Organisation of African Unity (OAU), the body that was founded 39 years ago to mainly spearhead the decolonisation process of the continent.

It is interesting to read through the comments made by people on the Birth of the AU. I believe all the comments and worries are based on the question as to whether AU  can leader Africa to prosperity, progress and development in this millennium?

I share Saikss and Eddy's concerns and also understands Foroyaa's position when they said "History that will be the final judge"

The OAU before it was accused of slumping into what has been described commonly as a club of dictators who met for the annual orgy of lavish parties sponsored from the dry kitties of their already impoverished countries.

The organisation lost touch with realities after the founding Fathers such as Dr Kwame Nkrumah, Gamel Abdel Nasser and Julius Nyerere who lost their lives, political power or got overwhelmed by a fresh breed of leaders, most of whom came to power through the barrel of the gun and whose interests were more self centre red than nationalistic.

The OAU failed to shift focus in consonance with the new international order and allowed itself to be bogged down by bureaucracy, inertia and played to the selfish dictates of despots and corrupt leaders, some of whom proclaimed themselves Life Presidents and Emperors.

There came a time when the organisation existed only in name and many African leaders fear, to attend the annual summits because of possible coups back home.

It would be unfair to treat the OAU like a dog giving it a bad name and hanging it.  It played its decolonisation role quite effectively and today, from the original 32 members that constituted it, there are 53 members now who signed the protocol bringing the AU into existence.

Africans are not worried about the demise of the AOU, but about the unknown world that the AU is leading them.

The AU, according to its sponsors, is to do more action than talking, Shaped on the same lines as the European Union, the AU will see to the establishment of a Common Parliament, a Court of Justice and a Central Bank that will issue and manage a common currency.

One very important institution which is to bring more dynamism into the new body is the Peace and Security Council, which has the mandate to intervene in times of war crimes and genocide.

This is a clean departure from the AOU charter, which was quite unambiguous about the non-interference in member states’ internal affairs.

Liberia, Sierra Leone, Angola, Namibia, Mozambique, Burundi and Rwanda, to mention just few are all heritages of the past system which allowed wicked and despotic leaders to destroy their countries without any sense of guilt.

To show that they mean business the African leaders at their maiden summit in Durban, have agreed to the immediate establishment of this Council.

Other objectives of the AU include ensuring good governance, peace and stability, respect for the rule of law and intra regional cooperation in the areas of trade, security, economic, political and social integration.

These are noble objectives that cannot be attained without a firm democratic culture. That brings to the fore Africa’s preparedness to dump those leaders that are still living in the past and who do not want to relinquish power and open the valves for democracy to thrive in their countries.

The AU may have grandiose ideas but without the faith and commitment of the leaders it will in the long run become a paper tiger and I was glad that president Kafour of  Ghana in his interview last night stressed on good leadership as a way forward.

The celebration and the accompanying fanfare may still be reverberating in the dance halls an dining rooms in the various capitals, but the task ahead has just began It is important Africans marches not only to a new tune but also towards new directions.

As FOROYAA rightly pointed it out it is only history that will be the final judge but can we afford to mess up again? Can we afford fail our people again?

The Struggle Continues!!!

Ndey Jobarteh