I received this message from one of my associates
Please read and pass on
>  Telephone Alert
 PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW   I received a
telephone call last evening from an individual
identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician
 who was conducting a test on telephone lines. He
stated that to complete the test I should touch
nine (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and
then hang up.
 Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.
Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed
that by pushing 90#,you give the requesting individual
 full access to your telephone line,which enables them
to place long distance calls billed to your home phone
number.
 I was further informed that this scam has been
originating from many local jails/prisons. I have
also verified this information with UCB Telecom,
Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE.
 Please beware. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.
The GTE Security Department requested that I
 share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.
PLEASE pass this on the everyone YOU know.
If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters
from organizations you are connected with,
I encourage you to pass on this information to them.
After checking with Verizon they said it was true,
 so do not dial (9 zero),the pound sign # and hang
 up for anyone.  PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~