Sannusi,

You may be right as I happen to know something about how the hajj system works here in the US.  Yes some richer muslim countries collect zakat tul mal ( some form of compulsory taxation which is about 2.5 % of cash assets at year's end) from some muslims who have performed the pilgrimage already he/she would donate the extra funds to someone else who has not done so yet as a form of charity. or it could be just a goodwill gesture to the people of the Gambia (for example) from a rich muslim ruler.

Unfortunately the money does not go directly into the hands of the intending pilgrims but to the ruling government parties who in turn choose their friends or sympathizers to go. many new reverts(converts ) get such tickets and acomodation covered fully or just the tickets and they cover their hotel etc.

sadly it is similar to a situation like say  what the rotary club would do ie to build water wells for some villages in the Gambia and the ruling party would insist or manipulate  the wells to be dug in the villages that support the government not the villages who is known as opposition sympathizers . this happens all the time it is not new even here

Another good example is when scholarship is awarded to say ten students to study in a foreign university be it religious or just academics the education minister hushes it up and gives them to family or friends .

There must be some merit equation to stop this form of nepotism .

It is wrong it should go to those who really deserve it but we all know what happens  some even choose themselves or thier spouses or choildren to benefit rather than share with the Gambian population

best regards