Jabou

The Saudi government wanted concrete guarantees that such results will not happen especially with fly by night travel agencies thus the Gambia government s involvement.

I think I read somewhere that the Saudi government refused Jammeh's jumbo jet landing rights in Jeddeh because they could not produce maintenance records . Therefore they have to look for other airlines to come get the stranded pilgrims. And I am guessing that the other airlines want to be paid up front in hard currency first which is now a scarce commodity in the Gambia.

I do not know the real cause of the delay = all I know is that those folks are not having a picnic out there with all their luggages to care for and a place to sleep.

I would suggest if you have family send them some money -yes by western Union  or through a bank -there are many there fyi - just make sure you get the location and tel numbers of the money transfer and their authorization number first as a security measurement - or pay for the hotels by cc -mc or visa -directly . it is acceptable too

Fortunately food is not too expensive in Jeddah and Mecca - and good tasting too. or if they form groups they can get gas cookers and get all the ingredients and cook for themselves  outdoors . it hardly rains there nor is it too cold at night.

regardless of the survival ,I think these folks should be reimbursed for all additional expenses incurred  and paid perdiems

Habib