Guys,

I guess the fact is that Hamat is undermining the work of the women activists and this is where i have a problem with the guy statement. I quite agree with Edi, he should have named them, you cannot make a statement like that without giving people the prove. These kinds of statements is not new to the women's movement expecially when you have men who want to undermine the work of the movement. Unless he name them or provide us with the prove he remains to be a sexist, sepratist and anti-women's movement.

If he does not have issues to address so he should not waste his voters time in discussing issues that he has no clue about. What does he mean by grassroots women and educated women? We don’t believe in divide and rule strategy. The woman in the village situation is no different from the urban woman. The educated woman’s condition is no different from the situation of the woman without education because being educated or well to do as they would say in Gambia does not protect me from being battered, abused by my husband, neither does it protect me from sexist members of parliament as we are witnessing in the issue of passing a minute silence to a devoted woman of substance as Amie Sillah describes her in her article. It does not protect me from job discrimination because of my gender, so i just want to make this very clear because people having been using this word grassroot women to justify their own sexist behaviour.

How many of these women lead NGOs are in the Gambia compare to the ones lead by men? How many of these women running NGOs are living let me say comfortable life styles because I won’t say it rich or wealthy life styles. These are women who had given up their careers inside and outside of the Gambia to serve our women folks back home. So, if he does not give them the respect they deserve, he should shut up. I agree Edi that how many of these men  seating in parliament with their ties and suits in that heat are channeling funds towards poverty elimiantion in the villages or their own constituencies.

I was so touched by Abdoulie Batchily's visit to our office. He came and said to me he wanted to know what we are doing for women especially the ones in village. He was attending an officiali meeting in Accra but he took his time to come and see what kind of assistance/ help we can give for the women in his area. How manay of these men take their time to do this?

It is not that we don't understand the article but the message behind it.

The Struggle Contnues!!!

Ndey Jobarteh

Express yourself with cool emoticons. Get MSN Messenger today. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~