Omar you wrote,

"However, the point to make in our case is that colonialism was as patriachal
as feudalism. It destroyed the vast majority of matrilineal institutions in
place and generally replaced them with patriachally biased systems of
administration, jurisprudence and production. Colonialism reinforced the the
indigeneous patriachal structures we had to such an extent that by
independence, the status of women had deteriorated significantly to leave
behind a colassal system of patriachy. Thus since our interaction with the
west through colonialism has contributed greatly towards the current
predicament, it would not be wrong for our sisters to borrow from the ideas
of women involved in the liberation movement in the west.
But be aware, even this is a brother's perspective! "

I completely agree with you, all i was saying is that people have the tendancy to label women especially African women who advocate for their rights and condemn the unfair and unequal treatment they have being receiving. It is unfair  and wrong for us to condemn Jammeh's dictatorship on the other hand oppress our women. The personal for me is political.

I agree fully with your statement above and as i always say and said before is for me one of the crucial theory of African Feminism which as an African woman cannot talk about feminism in Africa without taking for instance the historical realisation of Africa as a continent and all the things we have gone through as a continent as men and women in this continent.  Our history of slavery, colonialism, neocolonialism, globalisation all these have an impact in so many different part of the continent.  As women our lives are shaped by these event and they still continue to shape them.

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

Stay in touch better and keep protected online with MSN’s NEW all-in-one Premium Services. Find out more here. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~