Soffie,

"Add to that my uncle who gave me away telling me "munyal, sa dorm yi nyoi barkeh".  If this were true, why are so many of us suffering/struggling when we know and have seen how our parents suffered in their marriages. I pointed out this paradox to some elders and all they could do was agree.  All of Gambia's children should be successful because our parents did "saye"! "

It is as if you were reading my mine. I did challenge my Mum on this issue. I told my Mum that most of these kids raised in such relationship are always not successful, they turn out to be crimminals, angry, hopeless, lost their sense of life and belonging, low self esteem and the abuse continues.  My Mum was so mad with me because she felt i was going on the extreme but this was the only way i can get her to understand how bad it is to stay married just for the shake of marriage of kids.  I told my mum i am not asking anyone to divorce or live your husband what i am saying is that no one , i mean one has the right to beat anyone. No one deserves the rights to be humiliated and abused. Being someone's wife does not mean being a property, slave.  Married means partnership, love and care. If one cannot love, care and share with you, then they don't deserve you.

I also understand Habib, not until when i join the women's movements i did not undersatand the dynamic of women staying in an abused realtionship. I use to blame them and i remember when i use to work for AMWA in London. We had a Counselling Unit and the counsellor use to tell Ndey you don't understand, you really don't understand. Something that is very important in human beings are taken away from these women and that is their self esteem.  These women ends up blaming themselves for what has happen to them. They end up hating themselves. The situation is more complex than you think.

We all love our men, we care for them, we are proud of them and we want the same back. That is all what women are asking for and if we don't get it. We demand it because it is a right not a priviledge. This is what some of us as feminist we believe in, the struggle for democratic rights for all citizens comes  hand in hand with the struggle for the total liberiation for women.

We appeal to all our brothers in struggle for a clean and democratic Gambia to look into their relationship with our sisters because we won't spear them for that and we won't forgive them. As we forged alliances with them we want them to understand that we are partners in the struggle not the other way round.

The Struggle Continues!!

Ndey Jobarteh