Edward,

This is very interesting,sure coming from Tombong. I  do also tend to understand  the inner content of his article and where he is coming from. What Tombong failed to say in his article is that, where there is this "culture of silence" there is most likely a dictatorship and oppression. "Culture of silence " in relation to both objective and subjective condition of a people and nation, don't go hand in hand with a lively democracy where people can feel free to criticisee and be heard and this is where the contradiction  in Tombong's article is easily found. You do not see this " culture of silence" in a democratic atmosphere.

Secondly ,for intellectuals  to express their view points in bars and Vous and not in any formal way shows  the level of oppression and suppression in the country.  Of course there is intellectual dishonesty, intellectual  laziness and corrupt  intellectuals but this should not be mistaken with the suppression and oppression of intellectuals.

Tombong's  article was dishonest and lack the analytical tool to address the "culture of silence" in this oppressive atmosphere.  Either Tombong is confused or dishonest but it is clear that political oppression do encourage the "culture of silence".

Tombong lives in the Gambia but he refused to see and accept the fact that Jammeh's regime is a dictatorship and this is where his intellectual dishonesty is coming from. I won't call this intellectual laziness because he is very well aware  of the situation at home and the kind of regime we are dealing with. As i always say, there is very little we can do when intellectuals like Tombong want to put the blame on innocent people and not the regime that create these environment.

Tombong made an interesting comparison of the Jawara and Jammeh regime. Yes, I never supported the   Jawara regime  but there has never been  so many killings and murder   in our country.Gambians never felt  so insecure and terrified during the Jawara regime. This is what makes this APRC regime a  monsters regime . It will take the likes of Tombong not to realized(accept) this ,but he might soon find out, we have seen the likes of Baba go down the drill.

The Struggle Continues!!!!!

Ndey Jobarteh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい