As Investigations Into The Brutish Killing Of Deyda Is Still Pending

GPU Peeved Over Impunity

 As investigations into the cold blooded murder of Deyda Hydara, the Managing Editor and co-proprietor of The Point Newspaper is still dangling in the bins, the Gambia President Union (GPU), led by its President, D.A. Jawo pushed for an urgent intervention to end impunity of one of the valiant sons of the land, who demonstrated his heroicism to defend press freedom and freedom of the speech, despite numerous threats on his life. Below we reproduce the full text of the letter addressed to the SoS for Interior and Religious Affairs and the Inspector General of police:

The President of The Gambia Press Union, Mr. Demba A. Jawo, was on 24 January 2005, at the head of a delegation, which called on the Secretary of State for the Interior and Religious Affairs, Mr. Samba Bah, to follow up on a request to the authorities for "urgent intervention to end impunity." The request, which was addressed to the SoS and to the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Landing Badjie, was delivered on 22 December following the solemn procession made by journalists aggrieved by the assassination of Deyda Hydara, co-proprietor of The Point newspaper, by unknown assailants.

Among other things, the submission asked for the following:

" I. Let the President set up a commission of inquiry to find out why the Police are unable to conduct investigation and bring the culprits to justice and to urgently seek international assistance if the nation lacks the capacity to carry out the task.

"2. Take immediate action to arrest and charge those accused of the arson attacks against The Independent newspaper or give the nation the evidence why they are not culpable.

"3. Give an immediate order for an end to the utilisation of vehicles without number plates to carry out security duties.

"4. Set up a mobile patrol team with mobile phone numbers that are accessible to the public so that they can be reached at any time of the night."

Accompanied by Swaebou Conateh, Editor/Publisher of the News and Report weekly magazine and Sam Sarr, a member of the Editorial Board of Foroyaa newspaper, both members of the steering committee established to coordinate activities after the assassination, Jawo told the SoS in the presence of the IGP and Mr. Yaya Sireh Jallow, the Permanent Secretary, Department of State for the Interior and Religious Affairs, that the purpose of the visit was to follow up on developments since the letter’s submission.

He intimated that the visit was not to be seen as a one off affair, but a strategy adopted to be in regular dialogue with the authorities on such problems affecting journalists and their practice in the country.

The SoS apologised for the fact that he was not in the country to receive in person the letter submitted at the end of the journalists, procession. He agreed that dialogue was important and said the doors of his department of state were always open to members of the delegation.

He assured that a reply had already been sent to the original submission since 4 January 2005 (see attached copy) and said the concerns raised therein were forwarded to higher authorities. The SoS then spoke about the points noted above saying that the call for a commission of inquiry could not be dealt with by his department of state since the setting up of commissions was beyond his office.

With regard to the investigations, he said these were still on-going and included the latest move which was to arrange for the police to travel to Dakar in order to interview the two secretarial staff of The Point who happened to be the only living witnesses to the murder of Mr. Hydara. He said the police could not have gone earlier because they had to handle the matter through the Senegalese authorities and the Senegalese Journalists Union, whose President had travelled soon after the two members of staff were admitted in hospital.

With regard to the other unresolved cases affecting journalists, the SoS said they took place before he came to office.

On the request for international assistance to be sought if the police lacked the capacity to bring the investigations to an end, the SoS argued that; "We have the capacity, what we lack are the resources." In that respect, he said 60% of police stations were without a vehicle. He said their concern now was to have vehicles for patrol duties, that they were working hard on that and before long they would have the vehicles.

The Inspector General of Police also spoke of the heightened level of cooperation between the President of the Press Union and his office. He said Mr. Jawo had become his focal point and he had personally been bringing him up to date on the progress of the investigations.

Even though there was no public disclosure about the action taken against those members of the State Guard accused of complicity in the burning of The Independent printing press, but the IGP said he was personally involved in the investigation and they examined those who were named and they found no burns on their bodies. He however admitted that there was no expert examination done to determine whether they had burns or not. He however said the weapon left at the scene had too many fingerprints to be of any use to the investigations.

With regard to Deyda’s case, the IGP said the bullets recovered from his body have been sent for analysis. He then updated members of the delegation on some aspects of the investigation. He reported on the steps being taken by his office to acquire vehicles from donors adding that after Deyda’s murder, those at the Police Intervention Unit, which was close by had to go on foot to the scene of the crime due to their lack of a vehicle.

The IGP indicated that as far as the use of vehicles without number plates was concerned, he had written to all service heads about it and instructions were given to the police to start parking and to take to court all those caught with vehicles without number plates. He cited recent cases concerning some prominent individuals. He said the Customs were also requested not to release any imported vehicles unless they were provided with license plates.

In the discussions about the night patrol, reference was made to the police emergency number, 112 dialing of which the IGP said takes one to the nearest police station. He however deplored the fact that some people had used the facility from telecentres to heap abuse on the police to the extent that the system was being rendered useless especially in Serrekunda, Kotu and Brikama. He appealed for more responsible use of the number by the general public and the SoS also stressed the need for the police not to be deterred by the abusive use of the number because of its importance in reporting real cases of crime or disaster.

For improved communications, the IGP reported on the progress being made in developing a radio network for all their police stations and added that consideration was being given to providing a special telephone line for journalists in distress. He underscored the fact that whatever affected the press tendered to have both a national and an international dimension.

The Permanent Secretary commended the journalists for the visit and the IGP for his detailed report on the situation. He said their problem was more of capacity and scarcity of resources but the commitment and will was there on the part of everybody. "If you have information, share it with us. Government’s goal is to make our society crime free", he added.

In conclusion, SoS Bah stressed that "This case is of concern to all of us and we want to see it resolved as soon as possible."

-0-

KMC Blamed For Negligence

by Fatou Badjie

 Reports reaching The Independent from Tallinding (Farokono) indicate that residents have raised concerns over KMC’s negligence to collect waste materials from the area for the last couple of months.

Speaking to The Independent, some of the disgruntled residents, particularly women lamented bitterly about the devastating effects of waste materials on the lives of the living, since it easily exposes people to the infection of malaria, which is one of the main killer diseases.

Most of the residents around the vicinity complained of filthiness and unhygienic exposure of the environment to the hazards of waste materials, which they claimed remain stagnant at the sites, leaving some of the residents with no other alternative than to plow the rubbishes into holes.

It is reported that some of the residents, whose compounds are not adequate enough to contain the refuse materials had to dump them into a river site to get away with the pollution, while others accused some of the refused collectors of demanding tips from them before they could discard the wastes from their ends.

"I met the KMC Cleansing Service vehicle at the cross side of the main road and asked for assistance but they did not even bother to respond until when I had to offer them some money", said one of the distraught residents. Does it take money for our rubbishes to be collected?", an old woman asked.

Meanwhile, residents in the area, have urged the KMC and its mayor to come to their assistance before matters got out of hand as the situation is horribly deteriorating.

-0-

 Jammeh Named As World's Youngest President

As Guinness World Celebrate 50TH Anniversary

by Lamin Njie

President Jammeh, who ascended to the mogul of power in a military coup to be the world’s youngest president has been crowned the youngest current Head of State in the world by 2005 Guinness World Records, listing out all the Presidents of the world.

In a statement acknowledged in the Guinness World Records marking the 50th anniversary of the edition, the Gambian leader President Yahya Jammeh is the youngest current Head of State in the world, stating that the Gambian leader was born on the 25th May 1965 and became the head of a provisionary military council that toppled the first President of the Republic of The Gambia and the Gambian Head of State following a military coup on 22nd July 19994.

In a similar development in the Guinness World Records of the 50th edition, General Gnassigbe Eyadema of Togo became the President of the Togolese republic on 14th April 1967, after leading a coup to oust President Nicolas Gruniky making him the world oldest president, the edition stated.

-0-

 Police Insist To Prosecute Rapists

by Momodou Gassama

Confirmed reports reaching The Independent from Jarra Central District, divulged a case involving five boys of Jappine village, who had alleged unlawful carnal knowledge with a 16 year-old girl of the same village.

It is reported that the alleged rapists: Lamin Slami, Lamin Dinding Slami, Lamin Gitteh, Lamin Njie, Lamin Ceesay and Yankuba, have raped and destroyed the virginity of the young girl (name withheld), as they struggled to force her down.

Sources indicate that the culprits, who are still languishing at the Soma Police Station are yet to face the full force of the law as no date is fixed for their trial.

It is also indicated that attempts to compromise the issue out of the courts by the members of the family proved futile as police insist to pursue the matter to the court, but nevertheless the culprit’s family seek to bail the offenders.

One of the relatives of the raped girl, Yusupha Jokou, said regrettably it is the responsibility of the family to solve the matter out of courts, than to resort to the courts. "We are the people to decide whether to take them to the court or forgive them. But certainly they will be tried, considering the gravity of the offence", he added.

It is further revealed that the 16-year-old, who was raped during the night after attending a naming ceremony in Buiba never wanted to uncover the incidence but with familial pressures she had to name the rapists at the hospital were she was receiving medical attention.

A brother to one of the rapists Bakarry, said the police have indeed expressed interest to file the case to the Mansakonko Magistrate court within the shortest possible time.

However, the Police PRO could not be reached for further comment.

-0-

Editorial: The Need to Enfranchise Gambians in the Diaspora

The debate as to whether and how Gambians in the Diaspora should participate in our national
elections has been going on since the advent of the second republic. The issue was rekindled recently during the launching of the Independent Electoral Commission launched website when the chairman Gabriel Roberts re-affirmed their commitment to extend the franchise to every Gambian wherever he or she may be in the world.

However, in view of the apparent foot-dragging on the issue, it is hard to believe that the authorities are really keen to see it happen, or even whether there is a political will to make it a reality.

While it is an undeniable fact that such an exercise would be expensive, in view of the logistics involved, but it would certainly be worth every butut spent in order to make it happen. Indeed if the APRC government can spend D40 million on the celebrations of the 10th anniversary of the July 22 ‘Revolution’ as was alleged, then it is hard to believe that they cannot spend even a lesser amount in order to achieve such a noble objective.

However many people have expressed some skepticisms about such an exercise ever being undertaken by the APRC regime because there is a general assumption that a majority of Gambians in the Diaspora are perceived to support the opposition and just for that reason, the government is unlikely to facilitate their registration to vote.

It is now a trend in Africa and beyond to extend the franchise to all their citizens wherever they may be in order to give them the opportunity to actively participate in the governance of their countries. Therefore, it would be a shame if The Gambia would be seen to go against the tide. We have seen citizens of neighbouring countries resident in The Gambia being given such an opportunity and therefore it makes many people wonder why such a facility is not given to Gambians in other countries. If a country like Guinea Bissau, for instance, which is endowed with fewer resources, can extend such a facility to their citizens in this country and beyond, then it is hard to see why The Gambia cannot do the same to its citizens in other countries. All that it requires is the political will and everything else would no doubt fall in place.

While it may not be financially and logistically possible for every Gambian living abroad to have the chance to vote, but the authorities could at least pick on a few places where there is a concentration of Gambians, such as the United Kingdom and the United States and give them the opportunity to vote.

Indeed if the government wants those Gambians in the Diaspora to continue to be actively involved in the development of the country, it is only fair that every effort is made to give them the opportunity to exercise their civic rights, which of course includes having the right to vote in our elections. We are all aware of how much our compatriots abroad have been contributing to national development in various ways and as such, they should not be denied the opportunity to exercise their basic civic responsibilities of choosing the political leadership of this country.

-0-

OPEN LETTER TO GAMBIAN JOURNALISTS

 By Baba Galleh Jallow

My dear brothers and sisters in the media, please allow me to take this liberty to address this open letter to you.

I want to start by extending to you my heartfelt condolences at the loss of our dear colleague and brother, Deyda Hydara. Needless to say, Deyda the man has been taken from us. But Deyda the Spirit can never be taken from us. By his death Deyda has both exposed the nature of the evil lurking among us and trying to frighten us, and reaffirmed that the more blows you strike at truth, the more defiant and resilient it grows. And the more you try to douse the light of justice, the brighter it shines.

So those who, in their blind hatred of truth and their mad intoxication with the power of the gun, have dared snuff out a life they have not and could not create, are today being tortured by guilt, by their consciences and by the enormity of the evil they have committed. No, we should never think that they are happy, or comfortable. Indeed, they are more unhappy and uncomfortable today than they were before they committed their heinous crime. The evil doer, blinded by hatred, thinks that after his commission of evil, he will be free of the anxiety torturing him. He is too mentally deficient to realize that what he is trying to kill is not out there, but is within his very soul. He comes to realize this with a crippling sense of fear and despondency after the fact, after he has already committed the evil.

Whoever killed Deyda Hydara is nothing but a terrorist. A terrorist is one who kills or destroys an innocent person or people with the sole aim of instilling fear into the hearts of the populace. When some gun men shot Lawyer Ousman Sillah, they were seeking to instill fear into the hearts of lawyers. And when gunmen burnt the Eagle Press, they were trying to instill fear into the hearts of the media. There is no doubt that they have succeeded to some extent. It is only natural for human beings to fear being victims of heartless killers. What must, however, be avoided at all cost is letting the fear cripple our sense of purpose and dampen our determination to strive for the truth, for peace and justice in our society. As good Muslims and Christians, we all must remember at all times that all power belongs to God. In our prayers, we must seek His protection from the evil forces trying to play God and trying to silence us.

It is clear that you journalists on the ground are working within a badly dysfunctional political system. A system that picks and chooses what it stomachs and what it spits out. A system that thrives on sycophancy and hates truth-seekers. A system that is like a very sick man who stubbornly refuses to take the medicine prescribed for him because it does not taste good in his mouth. A system that without the persistent efforts of you and other like-minded truth and justice lovers, is bound to erupt into bloody anarchy. You do not write stories and editorials and commentaries for the mere fun of it. Certainly, the fun element cannot be dismissed out of hand. You love what you do. Otherwise you wouldn’t be doing it. But more important, much greater than the job satisfaction you enjoy as journalists is the sense of mission you feel. You are servants of the nation in the truest sense of the term. You are servants for truth, justice, fair play and progress. And you must be proud of that fact.

President Jammeh is in the habit of calling you - and all of us journalists, liars. Of course, we cannot, and do not wish to retort in like manner. But we know that being called liars does not make us liars. We know that if we report falsehoods, only the laws - only the just laws I must add - should be qualified to pronounce us liars. What President Jammeh does is simply betray the hatred for journalists burning in his heart. And so he must not be taken seriously when he calls us liars. When you are convinced that your cause is just, that what you are saying is the truth, go ahead and say it with a readiness to accept whatever the consequences are and with the knowledge that the truth will always prevail. It will always prevail because it is an attribute of God, who is infinitely more powerful than any president or gun man or devil can ever dream to be.

When he was arrested and locked up in a Southern jail at the height of the civil rights movement in the United States, Martin Luther King, Jr. was labeled an extremist by some of his fellow clergy who were opposed to his non-violent direct action. For a brief moment, he tells us in his Letter from Birmingham Jail, he felt unhappy and disappointed at being labeled an extremist. But then upon reflection he cheerfully accepted the label. He reasoned that being an extremist is not necessarily a bad thing. What is important is what type of an extremist you are. Are you extremist for truth? For justice? For peace? Or are you an extremist for injustice? For falsehood? For oppression? He reminds us, and himself, that all the great prophets - Jesus, Mohammad, Moses - the whole lot of them, were extremists for truth, for justice and for peace. So have all the saints and the great men of history. So, be an extremist for truth, for justice, for peace. Expose lies and corruption and injustice wherever you see them. Shun falsehood and sycophancy. Obey laws only if you feel that they are just laws. Oppose unjust laws with all your might. For as St. Augustine and many great minds of history have testified, an unjust law is no law at all.

Do not let up on asking pertinent questions. Until you get a satisfactory answer to each one of them, keep pounding at the door. The major questions that are matters of national survival must be asked. And you are the ones to ask them: Who killed Koro Ceesay in 1995 and why has no one still been arrested for his murder? Why have the soldiers who shot and killed twelve students and our colleague Omar Barrow on April 10/11, 2000 not been arrested and brought to justice? Why has Citizen FM, a radio station that translated the newspapers into local languages and offered a beacon of light to our illiterate brethren been forcefully closed? Why has no one been arrested for the arson attacks on Radio 1FM and on the house of journalist Alieu Bah? Why has no one been arrested for the two arson attacks on The Independent newspaper, even though Hamat Bah has publicly named two suspects in the latest case? Who killed Deyda Hydara and why are the police unlikely to make an arrest in this brutal murder? If the police are afraid, as some of us believe they are, what are they afraid of? Who are they afraid of? Why are they afraid to do the work for which they are paid? In the light of all these lapses of security, what moral right does the government have to persistently parrot in our ears that security is one of its top priorities? Ask these questions and ask them persistently, until it becomes impossible for you to ask them anymore. That is the major task facing all truth loving journalists. That is what it means to be an extremist for truth, for justice and for peace.

-0-

 GCCI Joins HIV/AIDS Crusade

by Lamin Njie

As the crusade against HIV/AIDS is gathering pace both nationally and internationally, the Gambia Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI), last Tuesday organised a one day seminar on the sensitisation of women in the private sector on HIV/AIDS at the Corinthian Atlantic Hotel in Banjul.

The seminar aim to educate participants on the effects of HIV/AIDS and provide them with an opportunity to create awareness, which would enable them to make a difference in their lifestyles both at work places and homes.

The seminar also aims to provide opportunity for creating public and private sector partnership to solidify strong private sector response in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

Speaking at the occasion, the Deputy Director of NAS, Nuha Ceesay told participants to fully utilise the knowledge gained from the seminar. He urged them to spread the message to all and sundry for the benefit of all, as the disease he warned is getting its toll on several people.

He added that the scourge of the pandemic is on the increase, with HIV 1 worsening at an alarming rate, while HIV 2 which is less worst decreases.

On her part, Sarata Conateh of GCCI, underscored the importance of the seminar, noting that it is very relevant as the disease is on the increase both here and abroad. She said GCCI would strongly join the fight against the pandemic in partnership with other agencies, and urged participants to make good use of the knowledge gained from the seminar.

-0-

Chief Bojang Preaches Peace

by Alieu Darboe

Dembo Santang Bojang, the Head Chief of Kombo Central District has called on the people of the district to strive for peace, unity, and love as the best practices and virtues for the socio-economic development of the society.

In his Tobaski address, Chief Santang Bojang, said there cannot be meaningful development without peace, which in principles means a society free from the decadence of troubles. "There should be peace and without peace we cannot live comfortably", he said.

Tobaski, he added is a feast in which Muslims worldwide celebrate to fulfill their obligations to God in the form of sacrifice. He noted that Muslims should always comport themselves with virtues that promote peace in our midst.

While indicating that he is with a strong conviction that the people of the district would continue to promote peace as good loving citizens, he said as the Head Chief of the district he will do everything humanly to promote oneness, unity, and peace in the district and all other parts of the country, since it is the responsibility of every citizen to work for peace.

He told Muslims that it is their duty to take good care of their families and make sure that their children adopt to good practices and moral conducts.

Other speakers included the village elders, the Alkalo of Brikama, Baba Njie Bojang and Imam Touray junior who urged Muslims and the entire citizens of Brikama to promote peace, unity and love at all times.

Shortly after the chief’s speech, some residents who spoke to The Independent commended him for preaching peace in the district, which they indicated are good virtues of Muslims.

-0-

Security Chiefs On Routine Tour

The Gambia Armed Forces Chief of Staff, Assan Sarr recently embarked on a nationwide tour of key security installations with the Heads of the various security forces including the Service Commanders of the Armed Forces, the Inspector General of Police, the Director General of the National Intelligence Agency, Immigration, Customs and Excise and Fire and Ambulance Services.

The tour is expected to cover the following units: Naval Fleet in Banjul, Tourism Security Unit, Yundum Barracks, Kartong Camp, Farafenni Barracks, Kudang Camp and Basse Camp, among others sensitive security points.

The itinerary include the following units, Police Intervention Unit, Police Intervention Unit in Kanifing, Police Intervention Unit in Fatoto, Police Training School, Yundum

Police Station, Farafenni Barracks, and Fire and Ambulance Services in Bakau.

The high-powered delegation of security heads will also pay courtesy calls to the council of elders and administrative heads in the North Bank Division and Upper River Division in order to strengthen the bonds of cooperation and solidarity that exists between the security services and those communities.

The aim of the tour is multi faceted and it is borne out of the initiative and mission of the Armed Forces Chief of Staff in collaboration with the Heads of the Sister Security Services to visit key security units and installations in the country

-0-

New Gambian Club Opens In London

 Since New Year’s Eve, the Senegambian community living in the UK is no longer breaking its neck over meet up place during occasions. A nightclub called Mbalax, which is trying to represent Senegambian culture in every way, has been opened in south -east London, Peckham by Omar Jagne, a Gambian entrepreneur resident in the U.K. The initiative, set up to represent a new genre of African entertainment, adds up to the diverse African entertainment showcasing Africa in the English capital.

Nothing is more delightful than to have a perfect representation of your homeland, through your culture, when in the western world. The United Kingdom, especially London is mostly, the number one destination for Africans especially Gambians. These people, even though there for different reasons, need once in a while to chill out but lacked one thing i.e. a fixed meeting place that will remind them of home. Thus Mbalax’s presence in the English capital is timely. "This has been something the Senegambian community living in the UK, have been yearning for, for years and didn’t have. Over the years, we were stuck to renting premises, and scouting around to meet up when we have to, especially during occasions, but we are here finally," says Omar.

The thirty something year old entrepreneur who is an operations manager at one of the Supermarket chains in the UK, says the club is more than just a seasonal meeting up. "We will be serving that ‘chebu jenn ya boye’ people would have prepared, and a menu of a taste of true Senegambian cuisine. I want to see Jatto Ceesay fly over from Belgium, Elhadj Diouf and the likes representing us in this part of the world to come in for the meals, and add value to what belongs to us all", a delighted Omar revealed.

The club is open to the public since New Year’s Eve, a usually thronging period for Gambians in the UK. Mbalax management fulfilled the bag of surprises it promised for the grand opening, which was attended by hundreds. "I want to be always seeing faces of Senegambia coming in for hangouts, parties and weekend clubbing, and all that the venue can do for Senegambia", Mr. Jagne further said.

Mbalax is a wollof word for a senegambian genre of music played by stars like Youssou Ndour and others. It is also called Ndaga and embodies a fusion of traditional and modern instruments. Mbalax night, which yearns to represent our culture, does not only play mbalax but also r’n’b, zouk, reggae, and soul nemali.

-0-

Talk All Leave None

With Khadija

 Our Dalasi Notes

Our dalasi notes are an embarrassment to the nation. Every day people are quarreling in the market or in taxis when they are given change. "I do not want this note, it is too old. It is torn" etc, etc. To be candid, the condition of our dalasi notes cannot be described. Some of them have gone under different type of operations just for people to spend it. Some are cut, joined, washed, peeled off… It is an eye sore. Can’t the authorities do something to replace them?

What will visitors to our beloved country say about them, when our own people are rejecting them? Mr. Custodian of our currency please take action or you are waiting for the new currency ECO.

School Children are suffering

How sympathetic to see school children begging lifts to and from school. Why? Just because school buses are not provided. School children now pay the same fares as workers. What a burden on the breadwinner of a particular family. Paying fares for him/herself and the kids. This is not correct.

Help is needed from somewhere- increase salaries and transport fares for the people who are responsible to provide these fares. Or in short, provide school buses for the children with normal fares. Sometimes very late in the evenings children are seen in uniforms

walking home very tired and hungry.

Illegal Transport Fares

Since the hue and cry, nothing has been done or an action has been taken to put a stop or to solve the illegal transport fares commuters are now paying. Commuters are forced to pay these fares from their hard earned merger salaries and are really feeling the pinch of the salt. Is this fair? No. Government should set an example by increasing salaries and transport fares for the private sector to follow suit.

As the saying goes "Silence is golden" and for the authorities to sit down and turn a blind eye to this situation while people are suffering is not a good precedence. It is only the motor owners and the drivers who are enjoying. The drivers union has no right to increase fares. What is our security forces doing.

Born Again Christians

The Gambia is a secular state. Period. No need of arguing about the number of mosques and churches being built. But? But what? The number of churches springing up around the Kombos is very alarming, and they claim to be Born Again Christians. Fine, no bones to pick with them. Their places of worships are even in private residence they hire or any space they have. Why can’t they build churches and carry on with their worship. Religion is not money. Because most of these born again churches are headed by people who are not Gambians, and some use money to attract members to their churches.

The Department of State for Religious Affairs should put in place rules and regulations, so that those who do not confront with them should be closed down.

Malian Marabou Forced To Leave

A marabou from Mali has been asked to leave the country, as rumours have it that he worked for members of the opposition. The marabou on his arrival in the country made advertorial in newspapers informing the

general public of what he could do. He claimed to cure any illness within five minutes.

Rumours also have it that he was involved in certain rituals. The marabou called relatives from Dakar informing them that he was asked to leave the country to save his life.

The Poorest Tourist Season

This tourist season has been described as the worst tourist season in the history of tourism in this country. Gambians involved in the industry – wood carvers, batik makers and others are complaining that tourists are not arriving. They pointed out that the Christmas period, which used to be the peak of the season, was very dull.

Since it was announced that only 90,000 tourists are expected this season, people have been very skeptical

about the prospect of this season. Even the tourist taxi drivers are feeling the pinch, as most of the tourist now prefer to use our local taxis, which they claimed are less expensive than tourist taxis.

A wood carver at the Senegambia craft market said "this is the worst season since I started my business. I have invested over D6, 000 on wood and I have not even sold D600".

-0-

Al-Qaeda’s Secret Plan for Africa: Terrorise, Divide, Seize

The world has heard
the sound of the
African oil boom. So has al-Qaeda. The continent has more than 75.4 billion barrels of proven reserves, edging toward 10 percent of the world’s total. Five large producers — Nigeria, Libya, Algeria, Egypt and Angola —top the list of African oil exporting countries.

Lesser producers, such as Chad, are also in the mix. Sub-Sahara Africa supplies as much oil to the United States as Saudi Arabia. Al-Qaeda sees Africa as a prize well worth going after. It is a graveyard of failed states, of corrupt governments whose power seldom goes much beyond capital city shantytowns and of areas of Muslim radicalism. The problems of the region are opportunities for Al-Qaeda.

At the same time, al-Qaeda strategic moves in Africa serve its larger purpose of attacking Western economies. In 2002, Ubeid al-Qurashi, a pseudonym of an Osama bin Laden lieutenant, wrote an article saying that Western economies cannot stand high oil prices. One way to strike fear into the West, he wrote, is by repeated attacks on oil installations or on tankers. After the attack on the French tanker Limburg, in October 2002, the al-Qaeda political bureau described the attack as not merely an attack on a tanker. Rather, al-Qaeda said, it was an attack against international transport lines and an attack on the West’ s commercial lifeline, petroleum.

Terror and attacks on Western economies are one part of al-Qaeda ‘ s grand plan. A second part counts on the vulnerabilities in the continent that will allow al-Qaeda to establish radical Islamism in one state after another. Nigeria is a case in point. The tenth largest producer in the world, 95 percent of Nigeria’s foreign exchange comes from oil. It has close to 25 billion barrels of proven reserves, and major explorations are underway for more.

Nigeria is a tempting target for al-Qaeda. According to Transparency International, Nigeria is the most corrupt state in Africa. It is also a state that has received the attention of Osama bin laden. In a tape broadcast by Al-Jazeera television channel in February 2003, bin Laden urged Muslims to unite and mobilise the Islamic nation to "liberate themselves from unjust regimes". He named Nigeria as one of those nations where Muslims should unite.

Bin Laden’s aim almost certainly was to foment civil war in Nigeria between the Muslim north and the largely Christian south. Shari’ a, Islamic law, is the law in 12 of 36 states in Nigeria. Federal authorities largely have leaved these 12 states to themselves, almost a de facto division of the country already. Jihadist militants occasionally occupy towns in the north as press gangs, forcing others to join them.

The growth of al-Qaeda cells in Nigeria, particularly in the fertile breeding ground of the north, give evidence of the growing radical Islamic threat in the country. The increase in Islamic militancy and government corruption and weakness entice al-Qaeda to step up activity in the country.

Radical Muslims have already struck at the state in attacks on police stations. In September 40 armed insurgents assaulted a police station, killing its commander and two other officers. Several other police stations have also been assault targets. Al-Qaeda usage of Nigeria as a communications hub is also evidence of al-Qaeda aggression in Nigeria. The capture of al-Qaeda information systems operative in Pakistan led investigators to Nigerian web sites and e-mail systems used by al-Qaeda to diseminate information and instructions. Again, the weakness of the central government with no regulatory policy over the telecommunications industry in the country is what drew al-Qaeda to Nigeria. The breakup of the Nigeria state is a real threat because of al-Qaeda.

Angola is another African country with vulnerabilities attractive to al-Qaeda. The country has been producing oil for decades, but the people have benefited little from oil income. A United Nations official has said that the Angolan people were becoming restless as the price of oil was increasing but with no effect on the lives of the people. Seventy percent of the people live in poverty and 80 percent have no access to medial care. Civil strife is becoming a frightening possibility.

An Angolan security service official has warned that al-Qaeda is trying to gain a foothold in Angola through Muslim NGOs. Al-Qaeda’s presence in Angola, however, may be more than a foothold. The Pan-African News Agency (PANA) has reported almost 3 percent of Angola’s population of 11 million are Muslim. Mosque construction, Islamic centers and Qur’anic schools are all signs of Muslim growth in Angolan cities. Can al-Qaeda be far behind or are al-Qaeda cells already up to something?

The eyes of al Qaeda on these two oil-producing countries, Nigeria and Angola, are looking beyond the replacement of existing governments with Islamic states. If al Qaeda can triumph in Nigeria and Angola, seizing the national patrimony of both states, it can continue its plan to wage economic warfare against the West. It also will have seized a major income-producing resource for its own ends. African security services and multilateral organisations must be on alert to thwart al-Qaeda plans to terrorise the continent, to divide its people and to seize its resources.

-0-

 Married Women’s Property

by Fatou Badjie

 An Act To Amend The Law Relating To The Property Of Married Woman (27 August, 1885). The question of a married woman being capable of acquiring, holding and disposing any of her personal property by will or otherwise as her separate property has been debated between men and women, interpreted by various religious leaders and argued by society itself. Thus, Every Woman brings you some of the provisions in the Constitution and Laws of the Gambia relating to the Married Women’s Property Act. (27th, August 1885)

The Supreme book of the country as at 1885 stipulated that "A married women shall, in accordance with the provisions of this Act, be capable of acquiring, holding, and disposing by will or otherwise of any real or personal property as her separate property in the same manner as if she were feme sole, without the intervention of any trustee.

A married woman shall be capable of entering into and rendering herself liable in respect of and to the extent of her separate property on any contract, and of suing and being sued either in contract or in tort or otherwise in all respects as if she were a feme sole, and her husband need not be joined with her as plaintiff or defendant, or be made a party to any action or other legal proceeding brought by or taken against her, and any damages or costs recovered by her in any such action or proceeding shall be her separate property and any damages or costs recovered against her in any such action or proceeding shall be payable out of her separate property.

Any contract entered into by a married woman shall be deemed to be a contract entered into by her with respect to and to bind her separate property, unless the contrary be shown.

Any contract entered into by a married woman with respect to and to bind her separate property, shall bind the separate property of or to which she is possessed or entitled at the date of the contract, as well as all separate property, which she may thereafter acquire. Any woman who marries after the passing of this Act shall be entitled to have and to hold as her separate property, and to dispose of as provided in Section 2 of this Act, all real and personal property which shall belong to her at the time of marriage or shall develop upon or be acquired by her after marriage, including any wages, earnings, money and property gained or acquired by her in any employment, trade, or occupation in which she is engaged or which she carries on separately from her husband, or by the exercise of any literary, artistic, or scientific skill.

Any woman married before the passing of this Act shall be entitled to have and to hold and to dispose of as provided in Section 2 of this Act as her separate property all real and personal property, her title to which, whether vested or contingent, and whether in possession, reversion, or remainder, shall accrue after the passing of this Act, including any wages, earning money and property gained or acquired by her.

Any married woman carrying on a trade separately from her husband shall be subject to the law affecting traders and debtors.

Any deposit or investment in any savings bank or in any public securities or loan of The Gambia, which at the passing of this Act shall be standing in, or which after that time shall be made in the name of a married woman shall be deemed, unless and until the contrary be shown, to be the separate property of such married woman, and such deposit or investment and the interest, profit, or other income thereof shall be accounted for and paid to her as her separate property.

If any such deposit or investment shall have been made by a married woman of moneys of her husband without his consent, the Court of the Chief Justice may upon an application under Section 15 of this Act, order such investment and the dividends thereof to be transferred and paid respectively to the husband and nothing contained in this Act, shall give validity as against creditors of the husband to any gift by a husband to his wife of any property which after such gift shall continue to be in the order and disposition or other investment of moneys of the husband made by or in the name of his wife in fraud of his creditors: provided that any moneys so deposited or invested may be followed as if this Act had not been passed.

Any woman whether married before or after this Act shall have in her own name against all persons whomsoever, including her husband, the same civil remedies and also, subject, as regards her husband to the provisions of subsection (3) of this Section, the same remedies and redress by way of criminal proceedings for the protection and security of her own separate property as if such property belonged to her as feme sole: provided that except as prescribed by this subsection, no husband or wife shall be entitled to sue the other for a tort.

In any information or other proceeding under this section it shall be sufficient for such woman to allege such property to be her property: and in any such proceeding a husband or wife shall be competent to give evidence against each other, notwithstanding any statute or rule of law to the country.

No criminal proceeding shall be taken by any wife against her husband by virtue of this Act, while they are living together, as to or concerning any property claiming by her, nor while they are living apart as to or concerning any act done by the husband while they were living together, concerning property claimed by the wife, unless such property shall have been wrongfully taken by the husband when leaving or deserting or about to leave or desert his wife.

A woman after her marriage shall continue to be liable in respect and to the extent of her separate property for all debts contracted, and all contracts entered into or wrongs committed by her.

-0-

Sports Page

by Namory Trawally

U-17 Logo to be unveiled

 The official logo of the CAF U-17 football tournament, to be hosted by The Gambia in May 2005, will be officially unveiled and launched on Saturday, February 5th, 2005 at the Kairaba Beach Hotel.

The launching, organised by the sub-marketing committee of the National Local Organising Committee (LOC) of CAF 2005, will mark the beginning of a massive fund raising campaign for a successful hosting of the first ever-continental competition in the country.

Speaking on City Limits Radio Sports’ programme last Thursday, Tombong Saidy, CEO of amRa consultancy firm and member of both GFA and LOC marketing committees said that to give more weights to the CAF U-17 marketing committee, they have decided to join both the GFA and the LOC marketing committee for 2005 championships.

Mr Saidy added that to give the campaign a national support, they have invited President Jammeh to lead the fund raising campaign and do the official unveiling of the CAF U-17 logo. He pointed out that, they need the support of all Gambians, as it is a national issue.

He further appealed to companies to come up and support the marketing committee for successful CAF U-17 championships. He also called on all football veteran players to come on the 5th February at the Kairaba Beach Hotel. Adding that the open invitation is so as not to leave any of veteran players out, as they did not send personal invitations to each of them to avoid the mistake of leaving one out.

Mr Saidy added that they are also planning to comment live the official launching of the logo on City Limits, West Coast, Sud FM, Radio one FM and GRTS. He called on sports journalists to assist them on their campaign.

Mr Alex Dacosta, another member of the marketing sub-committee, said that during the launching of the logo on Saturday, some good time pictures of Gambian football will be exhibited at the launching venue.

He called on Gambians to all come out on that day.

FIFA Plans Training For Journalists

The World Football governing body, FIFA have revealed plans to organise training for sports journalists worldwide. According to the welcome statement made by FIFA President Joseph S Blatter in their 2004-2005 FIFA Course Catalogue revealed that FIFA will hold special symposium primarily for journalists.

Mr. Blatter added that the new concept of Com-Unity course will form the core of future courses, anchoring football in a wider context by ensuring that other essential influences are taken into account.

FIFA boss also revealed that efforts are being made to improve relations between the football family (associations, clubs etc) and government departments and bodies as well as the media, relief organisations and NGOs.

Mr Blatter revealed in his statement that new courses have also been divided for administration, sports medicine, coaching and refereeing following the success of the two predecessors; Futuro III will be dedicated to training instructors in these areas.

He added that central standardised courses will allow FIFA experts to reach attendees from up to 10 countries at a time, ensuring the ideal platform for an international exchange of know-how.

Mr Blatter revealed that in the future they will be pleased to describe in the following purpose and format the course programmes offered by FIFA for the years 2004 and 2005.

The courses are as follow:

Com-Unity course programme, Futuro III, FIFA’s new pro-Active course programme, FIFA’s Flying Teaching Team (FFTT), Olympic Solidarity courses and Member Association courses.

It could be recalled that two Gambian referees, Adama Mbye (ADUWA) and Bai Jobe last October attended the Futuro course in Ghana and come out as FIFA referee instructors who would be training Gambian local referees.

Kaira Silo Held Bakau United

The newly promoted team in the GFA first division league, Kaira Silo FC of New Jeshwang last Wednesday added another credit to their league campaign by holding Bakau United to a draw.

In the first game of Week Three playing on Wednesday at the Serekunda west mini-stadium, New Jeshwang boys came behind to collect a point from Bakau United. Modou Gai alias Daddy Gai opened the score for Bakau United in a well contested game while Kaira Silo levelled the score through Essa Njie.

Their good result against Bakau United is a clear demonstration that Kaira Silo came in the top league to stay after a short journey in the first division in 2001.

Kaira Silo FC, who came first in the second division league last year, gaining automatic promotion to the first division, have not wasted time since then to put their house in order.

They started this year’s league campaign with a precious victory over Gamtel FC 1-0 and lost narrowly to Steve Biko 2-1. Their draw against Bakau United gave them 4 points in three matches played. But for Bakau United, they are still looking for their first three points after three games played.

They drew all their games, against Armed Forces, Real de Banjul and Kaira Silo with the same score 1-1. They now have three points.

Kairo Silo will return on action on Friday against Hawks FC in Serekunda west while Bakau United will line up against GPA on Sunday 6th February 2005.

FAP Funds Not For National Teams

The world football government body, FIFA have revealed in its world report on football development of 2004 that national football teams should not be financed from the Financial Assistance Programme (FAP) funds donated to national member associations by FIFA.

According to the world report, the USD 250,000 annual assistance should be used on developmental programmes.

According to the report, national teams should either be financed by government or with own funds from respective association.

The report revealed that member associations are responsible for deciding on the allocation of these funds for the different areas of football development. The report added that the primary aim is to invest ‘ in football development. "The financial assistance programme funds serve as an important source for running and maintaining the infrastructure provided through the Goal Project as well as for the implementation of follow up activities for FIFA Futuro III and other courses, financing courses at national level", the report revealed.

Continuing, the report outlined that the FIFA funds are vital as they enable the member associations to: establish a basic and structured administration, build the house of football, improve the member associations’ communication with FIFA and other FIFA members and clubs; launch special development programmes specific to the needs of the country, plan football development thanks to the guaranteed, continuous support of FIFA and finally increase participation in FIFA competitions.

It could be recalled that in 1999, FIFA boss Joseph S. Blatter delivered the pledge made by his predecessor Joao Havelange in 1996, (based on the principle of democracy); since then FIFA’s Financial Assistance Programme (FAP) provides financial assistance to each member associations and the six confederations.

In that line, every member association (MA) receives USD 1million over a period of 4years and each confederation receives USD 10million over the same period. Member Associations (MA) are required to submit an annual request for this support based on an annual investment plan and the long-term development plan. After a review that checks that the project is in accordance with these objectives, and upon approval of the request, the member associations receive the funding in four annual payment of USD 250,000.

The FIFA finance committee governs the FAP and its day-to-day administration rests with the development management team in Zurich.

-0-

Sporting Associations Urged To Present Report

by Njonji Drammeh

The Gambia National Sports Council (NSC), the umbrella body of sports in the country, have urged all sporting associations affiliated with them to present their 2004 report outlining their achievements, constraints and plans for 2005.

In a meeting held earlier this month between sporting associations and the national sports council, the chairman of NSC Omar Sallah said that his council is ready to assist the sporting associations with any thing that comes on their way. He was quick to add: "But we cannot do that without knowing your problems and plans".

Mr Sallah pointed out that they will support any association, which wants to decentralise its activities nationwide specially those using the school system. He added that associations that are not using the school system are not functional.

Presidents and secretary-generals of all sporting associations attended the meeting, held at the office of the National Sports Council (NSC).

Ground Constraints Hit Division Two

Reports reaching Independent Sports have disclosed that the delay of the commencement of GFA second division league is caused by the lack of ground where the match can be played.

Reports added that the GFA is facing big ground constraints after the closure of the Independence Stadium.

The report further pointed out that the division two matches were scheduled to be played at the Bakau mini-stadium. The report added that the competition was planned to kick off the same day with the first division on the 07th January but could not take off.

Report revealed that the delay was caused by an administrative lapse at the GFA secretariat, as the national football governing body have not officially contacted the Bakau zonal committee who are the direct manager of the mini-stadium.

The report added that the Bakau zonal committee deny access to the mini-stadium unless a proper agreement is reached between them and the GFA.

The reports added that Bakau zonal committee are now responsible for the maintenance and up keeping of the mini-stadium including the water bills as the KMC have officially handed the responsibility to them.

The second division teams are worry about the situation especially with the forthcoming of the CAF U-17 championships.

-0-

 Epilepsy Worrisome In Africa

by Fatou Badjie

The statistical figure emanating from the Gambian Epilepsy Association (GEA) reveals that out of the 50 million people affected with epilepsy in the world, 40 million are found in Africa.

The report indicates that although 70% of the children and adults could be treated and cured with anti-epileptics drugs after five years of uninterrupted medication, the bothersome disease still remains critically unresolved.

According to the association’s PRO, Mr. Paul Colley, "epilepsy is a tendency to have recurrence seizure which is untransferrable but curable". He noted that the annual march organised by the association aims to sensitise the community about the effects of the disease, which is mainly ascribed to be a causal of supernaturalism.

Phillip Chiga, GEA’s executive, revealed that the association sponsor people with epileptic complications; support them in their schooling, provide accommodation for them and often give them fares to collect medications.

He, however, lamented that most of the patients are prone to the problems of stigma and discrimination in both schools and homes, while some of them who are rejected by society continue to sleep in streets and thereby shorten their life spans.

-0-

 Nema Kunku Jolly Over New Stand Pipes

by Juldeh J. Sowe

Last week Wednesday marked another joyous occasion in Nema Kunku, when a cheerful crowd witnessed the handing over ceremony of five new standpipes to the villagers by the Rotary Club of Fajara and the Rotary Club of Bongstrand, Denmark.

Speaking at the occasion, the deputy Permanent Secretary at the Department of State for Fisheries, Natural Resources and the Environment, Mr. Suwareh Jabai said The Gambia is one of the Sahelian countries, seriously affected by climatic fluctuations and persistent drought spells, which led to reduced water availability for economic productivity, and provision of safe drinking water to the rural communities.

He said the government of The Gambia, has since 1970s, set itself to the objective and strategies of improving the overall water supply situation in the rural areas, and in particular to ensure safe water supply to all as required under the International Decade for Water.

"Government policy is to achieve this goal through the implementation of durable and self-sustainable water supply projects, as an integrated part of national as well as decentralised rural development projects", he indicated, noting that Unicef programme has provided and continues to provide support to the government of The Gambia on water and sanitation (WATSAN) through the Department of Water Resources.

This programme, he added provide an annual average of wells and sanitation facilities to schools and Early Childhood Development Centre, though he indicated that Unicef is unable to attract optimum funding from its development partners, thus, limiting the capacities of facilities constructed per year.

The President of the Rotary Club of Bongstrand, Mr. Freddy Jensen, said water is one of the world’s most important raw materials, without which it is impossible to live. It is definitely true that water is equal to life".

-0-

 Prime Minister Tony Blair On Global Focus On Africa And Climate Change

 In an address on Wednesday, 26 January, at the opening of the of the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting 2005 in Davos, Switzerland, the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair called on the international community to renew efforts to tackle the problems of poverty and deprivation in Africa, and climate change globally. Mr. Blair said the two issues would be priorities for the G8, which Britain chairs this year, and the European Union during the British presidency in the second half of 2005.

He further stated that if the differences on both problems could be reconciled or at least be moved forward, it would make a huge difference to the prospects of international unity, as well as to people’s lives and for our future survival.

The British leader told the forum that the Africa Commission, which he established last May, would issue a report in March that would attempt systematically and comprehensively to deal with all aspects of Africa’s plight. Furthermore, he said that aid to the continent must be increased, pointing out that Britain has proposed that it be doubled and 100% debt relief given to the most highly indebted nations. He noted that 300 million Africans do not have access to safe drinking water, while 6,000 people die each day from AIDS. Prime Minister Blair declared that the world cannot confront the endemic perpetual crisis of African poverty on any basis other than a partnership between African governments and those of the developed world.

Mr. Blair further argued that the interdependence of nations is now widely accepted and there is a common global agenda emerging. In addition to Africa and climate change, he highlighted other priorities including maintaining vigilance and co-operation against global terrorism; the urgent need to revive the Middle East peace process; and the promotion of human rights, freedom and democracy.

-0-

 First UTG Vice Chancellor Dies

by Lamin LK

 Professor Donald Ekong, the first Vice Chancellor of the University of The Gambia, last week passed away after a prolong illness.

Professor Ekong, was appointed as vice Chancellor of the University of The Gambia on October 1st, 1999, after the establishment of a University in The Gambia and notably establishing several universities in Nigeria.

During the term of his tenure, he served as the Secretary General to all African universities and was an educational consultant in South Africa under Fort Foundation before he met his untimely demise.

Dr Awanson, a senior lecturer in the university expressed shock and sympathy for the sudden death of the able professor Ekong, whose outstanding contribution has raised the banner of the university high aloft.

He urged the younger generation to emulate professor Ekong’s mastery of academy, which has been amply evident in his traits as an outstanding educationist.

On his part, Mr. Jaiteh, a senior registrar at the university expressed sadness, noting that the professor is one of the pioneers of the University of The Gambia, who deserves all forms of gratitude, counting on his experience.

Lamin Camara, a fourth year student in the faculty of Science and Agriculture expressed similar sentiments and for him basically death is something inevitable.

"We pay tribute to him as the first Vice Chancellor of our University and for making our dreams come true", he added, noting that he played a pivotal role in the establishment of the university.

Louis AD Mendy, a third year student in the faculty of Humanities expressed shock and prayed for his soul to rest in peace. "It is a sad news but all we have to do is to pray for his soul to rest in peace. We thank him for his outstanding contribution", he added.

Similar sentiments were expressed by various students of the university.

-0-

 Morocco Donates To Gambia

The Kingdom of Morocco has recently rendered assistance to the government of The Gambia, to help combat the current locust invasion including: 1 aircraft and 2 motorise pumps with accessories to fuel the aircraft, 10,000 litres of ULV pesticide (chlorpyriphos 240g/l), 30 complete set of protective gears, 1 pilot, 1 mechanic and 2 experts in locust’s control.

The donation is in response to President Jammeh’s request to the Kingdom of Morocco.

The aircraft and the crew arrived in The Gambia on the 19th January 2005, at 20.00hrs. The counselor of morocco in Dakar with two experts in locusts control arrived in The Gambia on the 23rd January 2005, while the pesticides and equipment is expected to arrive today, by sea, to be transported by a Morocco Royal Navy ship.

The counselor of Morocco in Dakar is here, to perform the official handing over of the aircraft, pesticides, protective gears and technical assistance to the President of the republic of The Gambia, on behalf of the kingdom of Morocco as soon as the remaining materials and equipments are in tact.

-0-

Don't just search. Find. MSN Search Check out the new MSN Search! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤