Pro-Democracy Group Challenges Coalition

Urges NADD to expedite the process of choosing a flag bear

By Baba Galleh Jallow

Save The Gambia Democracy Project (STGDP), a U.S.-based group of Gambians dedicated to the promotion of democracy, human rights and good governance in the country has challenged the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD), to build on the momentum they have generated so far "by wrapping things as expeditiously as possible" and to expedite the process of choosing a flagbearer for the coalition in the October 2006 elections.

In an exclusive interview with The Independent, STGDP chairman Kebba Foon also challenged the Gambian people to work hand in hand with the forces of democracy inside and outside the country to bring about what he called "the much needed system change." Below we reproduce the full text of Mr. Foon’s interview with The Independent’s Founder Editor Baba Galleh Jallow.

Q. What is the origin of the STGDP? Why was it formed?

Mr. Foon: The Save the Gambia Democracy Project was conceived on the Internet; on the Gambia L and the Gambia Post forums used by Gambians and friends of The Gambia in the Diaspora to discuss issues concerning The Gambia and Gambians. An idea was suggested by Dr. Abdoulaye Saine – a prominent Political Scientist and Professor at Miami University in Ohio - to set up a fund in which Gambians and friends of The Gambia in the Diaspora will contribute to help the victims of the April 10th. and 11th 2000 student massacre, the private media and in a nutshell, the victims of the APRC tyranny. Joseph ("Joe Tennis") Sambou, an Accountant and one of the founder members of the STGDP started collecting money for this fund. After a series of long debates and discussions over the Internet, which were sometimes very heated, the majority came to the conclusion that Save The Gambia Democracy Fund, as it was initially named, should do more than just help victims. STGDP was formed in order to get to the root causes of the predicament of the Gambian situation: dictatorship, lack of respect for the rule of law by the current administration and non-adherence to the principles of democracy. The mission of the STGDP as stated in our constitution, is to create an environment in The Gambia within which democracy and all its instruments can be nurtured and enhanced for a better Gambia. STGDP shall accommodate all Gambians and friends of The Gambia regardless of their religious, economic, regional, social, political or ethnic background. These goals will be accomplished by working with Gambians and Gambian Associations around the world.

Q. When and where was the STGDP formed?

A: STGDP was formed in Atlanta, Georgia on February 18, 2004. This was the date when the organization and its structures were formally launched and its officials elected. However, STGDP was very active prior to its formalization. The launching of the organization took place on the campus of Morehouse College in Atlanta, which was fitting to start this journey to freedom from tyranny and the establishment of true democracy in The Gambia because it is the alma mater of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. who spearheaded the Civil Rights Movement in the USA in the 1960s.

Q. What is the structure of the organization, roughly speaking?

A: We have a management committee that consists of the Chairman (myself) Kebba Foon, Vice Chairman Mustapha Ceesay, Secretary General Musa Jeng, Treasurer Banka Manneh, Public Relations Officer Sigga Jagne, Auditor Saloum Njie, Political Liaison Maila Touray and regional coordinators all over United States who represent the organization in their localities. We also have a fund raising committee which is very vital to the organization.

Q. Your term limit of one year expired last February. Why has there been no election of a

new chairman yet and what are the plans in this area?

A: We had been involved in a lot of work in strategizing and planning for the upcoming election next year and because of this we did not start on time to plan for our congress in February. As chairman of STGDP, I was out of the country for over three weeks in December and January. Because of the above reasons, we were unable to hold our annual congress to elect officials of the organization. We voted on this issue and an over whelming majority of our members voted to hold the congress during the July 4th Gambian reunion in Atlanta this year.

Q. The STGDP clearly played a pivotal role in bringing the opposition parties together to form NADD. What were the major steps in this process?

A: Yes, we played a pivotal role in bringing the opposition parties together to form NADD. AGERA (the Atlanta Gambian Emergency Relief Association) invited all the political parties in The Gambia to send a representative to a conference on July 4th 2003 to meet with Gambians in the Diaspora and discuss a way forward in the political affairs of the country. We took the opportunity to organize a meeting with the leaders and representatives of all the major opposition parties in The Gambia to discuss the idea of a coalition. The meeting was a success and the present coordinator for NADD, Mr. Halifa Sallah was elected in that hall at Morehouse College by his peers. I will take this opportunity to congratulate him and all the party leaders for keeping their promise and going ahead with making NADD a reality. I will reassert what I promised them in that hall again and that is we in the Diaspora will also keep our promise to fund NADD. The process that led to the creation of NADD started from that meeting at Morehouse College after which the leaders promised us that they will go back home and start deliberating on forming the coalition, which they did.

Q. STGDP is involved in facilitating the coalition process. What are the major steps taken in this direction so far?

A: STGDP had been in consultation with the coalition from the time the parties started deliberating after they left Atlanta to the signing of the MOU in January of this year. Actually I was supposed to witness the signing of the MOU but due to some delay in logistics, I left Banjul four days before the signing ceremony. We are partners with NADD in this process to create a level playing field in the political arena and ultimately true democracy in The Gambia. We asked the leaders to go back and engage in the dialogue to forge a coalition and most importantly to put the country first and put aside all their differences in order to save our dear country. We contributed our ideas in the formulation of the MOU. Our next challenge is to raise the much needed funds for NADD to conduct a formidable campaign next year and bring about the much needed system change in the country.

Q. There has been some delay in NADD choosing a flag bearer for the coalition. What has been the problem and what’s the situation now? Is the STGDP helping facilitate this process?

A. I do not think there is a deliberate delay in choosing the flag bearer. From my discussions with Mr. Halifa Sallah while I was in the Gambia, the plan was to sign the MOU first, set up the Secretariat, register NADD with the IEC as a political party, go on a nation wide tour as a group to inform the Gambian people about NADD and its aims and objectives, and then start the process of choosing the flag bearer. Therefore, I do not think that they are delaying the choosing of the flag bearer; they are going according to schedule. We at the STGDP are asking the coalition partners to expedite the process. Anyhow, I will take this opportunity to suggest to the NADD executive that in choosing the flag bearer, they should consider more than anything else, that the flag bearer should be one who can effectively execute the aims and objectives of the coalition. We understand that all the opposition leaders are capable of being the flag bearer but we can only have one flag bearer. It is already clear that whoever is chosen with the support of all the parties which consist of NADD will definitely clinch victory come October 2006.

Q. What are some of the difficulties encountered by the STGDP so far both at home and in the Diaspora?

A. Getting the information out to the people to create awareness both in The Gambia and the Diaspora.

Q. And what would you say are its major successes?

A. First, helping forge the coalition and staying engaged with the coalition partners; the cohesiveness of the STGDP management committee; and the constant engagement of the general members in all matters that affect the organization’s goals. These are some of our major successes.

Q. Do you see the STGDP continuing beyond the 2006 elections and if so what role do you foresee it playing, particularly in the event of a coalition victory?

A. Yes STGDP will definitely be here beyond the 2006 elections. This organization is here to stay and we are not just about regime change which is only a step towards changing the political culture to one where leaders will be accountable to the people. Our goal is to have this organization be the watchdog for good governance and the rule of law in The Gambia. Our biggest strength so far has been the diversity of this organization. It consists of members from all political affiliations and members who do not belong to any political party and that explains why it is seen as an organization of conscience.

Q. What activities are the STGDP currently engaged in?

A. We are engaged in several activities such as raising awareness of the existence of the organization, fund-raising and identifying local coordinators around the world, among other things.

Q. Any final words to the coalition and the Gambian people?

A. To the coalition partners we say: we are proud of you for the awesome job you have done so far. So let us build on that momentum by wrapping things as expeditiously as possible. We are here as your partner and we are all in this together.

To the Gambian people we say: we are sons, daughters and friends of The Gambia and are just playing our part in helping establish good governance and the rule of law. As democracy is a prerequisite for development, we have to nurture and put its institutions in place in order to bring about better and prosperous living conditions for the entire nation.

Q. How can STGDP be contacted?

You can contact us through our website: www.sunugambia.com or by email at [log in to unmask]

-0-

 Gov’t Outlines Plans for the Judiciary

by By Lamin Njie

President Jammeh has revealed government plans to provide effective justice delivery system in The Gambia that is not only affordable but also accessible to Gambians and non-Gambians alike.

To this end, he said a decentralisation of the High Court system is in the offing for the realisation of the objective, beginning from Brikama to the other administrative regions of the country, including Basse and Mansakonko.

In his 55 pages 2005 speech of the state opening of the National Assembly, the president said the High Court is now fully operational with different divisions dealing with criminal, civil, admiralty and other matters.

Outlining the rationale behind the stance, he said it would ensure that court cases move with all deliberate speed and to mitigate all the unnecessary delays in the justice delivery systems.

"Brining justice to the doorstep of the Gambian people is the ultimate aim of my government and the people expect that litigation would be completed quickly" he indicated.

In pursuance of the goal, he said the State Department for Justice and National Assembly matters would seek the approval of the assembly for the promulgation of certain laws that will effect the required impacts on key policies of the government.

-0-

 Fire Guts House In Sukuta, Leaves inmates poor and desperate

 By Momodou Gassama

A devastating fire has completely gutted down a house in Sukuta between the wee hours of Sunday morning destroying incalculable amount of goods, including 3 beds, 3 cupboards, big suit-case, 2 sets of chairs, 2 TV sets and 2 videos, 3 brand new bicycles and other valuables.

According to one Musa Sambou, one of the occupants, the incidence was believed to have sparked from a candle, which a 12-year-old boy was using for studies but all of a sudden caught fire in the house.

Mr. Sambou added that not a single household material was retrieved from the house, since according to him the fire has completely periled everything into ashes, despite people’s attempts to exterminate it.

The situation, he narrated was worsened by the fact that the first arrival of the fire fighters had come with an empty tank, and before the intervention of the second team, the fire already went out of control. He further lamented that it is a pity that the family has to loose all their precious materials, when they could not make ends meet for their daily needs.

Ma Nyima Manneh, a mother, said "we are calling for help, cause we do not have anything to eat. Even our children sleep on bare floors, since all our belongings were being set ablaze."

Musukebba Sanyang, a house wife, said she is desperately in need of assistance since according to her, she had nothing on her for the upkeep of the family.

Pa Sabally Njie, first son of Late Sulayman, the owner of the compound and grand Pa Sanyang expressed similar sentiments.

-0-

Editorial: Frequent Arrests Versus the Country’s Image

Virtually on a daily basis nowadays, there are reports of people being arrested and detained for one reason or another, or sometimes for no obvious reasons.

Whoever may be responsible for ordering these arrests and detentions is certainly not doing any good to the country’s image. Indeed some of the reasons given for these arrests and detentions are so flimsy that it makes anyone wonder whether those responsible have any regard for the rule of law.

A good case in point had been the reports of the recent arrest and detention of the wife of the former vice chairman of the Armed Forces Provisional Ruling Council (AFPRC) Captain Sana Sabally, while she was accused of trying to secure a passport for him. Obviously, such a reason did not make much sense to anyone because it is not a crime for any Gambian citizen to secure a Gambian passport, whether for oneself or on behalf of another Gambian. Therefore, it is hard for anyone to imagine what crime Mrs. Sabally may have committed merely for trying to secure a passport for her husband. Probably there was much more to the story than what was published, and everyone expects the security forces to come up with a clarification on the issue. This is because as far as the public are concerned, Captain Sana Sabally is still a Gambian citizen, no matter where in the world he may be and as such, it is not illegal for him to obtain a Gambian passport, either personally or through his wife.

While President Jammeh may be using these arrests and detentions to enforce his ‘operation no compromise’ but he should not overlook the fact that the people also have their civic rights and therefore, those rights need to be protected at all times. There is no justification in him wanting to enforce his ‘operation no compromise’ at the expense of the people’s fundamental civic rights.

It is indeed worth pointing out here that while it is an honour for The Gambia to be chosen to host the next African Union summit, but that has also placed a heavy responsibility on the government to ensure that they meet certain basic criteria. Those criteria of course include respecting the fundamental rights of the people of this country. Long have gone the days when African leaders can give the honour of holding their summits in any African country regardless of how the government of that country treats its people. We are now living in a completely new era where we are all supposed to be our own brothers’ keepers. Therefore, if our leaders or anyone else think that they can do anything here and no one would ever ask them to account for it, they are mistaken. Accountability should not be a one way traffic, and if those in government want the people to account for their actions, they should also be ready at all times to account for their own actions.

-0-

 Resource Centre For Sanchaba

 By Juldeh J Sowe

Sanchaba Sulay Jobe Lower Basic School, last week inaugurated a new library and resource centre sponsored by the Strand Educational Support Trust (SEST), UK.

Deputizing for the Secretary of State for Education, the Deputy Permanent Secretary at the Department of State for Education, Mr. Kunkung Jobarteh commended the SES Trust for their benevolence, adding that the gesture is a great contribution to the socio-economic development of the country, as no meaningful development takes place without effective educational materials.

He underlined the importance of a library, adding that it would greatly impact on the welfare of the children, since according to him the books will equip them with a wide range of information and inculcate into them the culture of reading.

In her remarks, the headmistress of the school, Mrs. Isatou Joof-Gajigo, said three years ago, the school had only three structures, and three classrooms made up of corrugated iron sheets.

-0-

Her Majesty's Commonwealth Message

Of the nearly two billion citizens of the Commonwealth, more than half are under the age of twenty-five. That provides our association with a strong foundation for the future. Of course, we all face significant challenges. Some people live in conditions of conflict or insecurity, while others have suffered the impact of natural disasters, such as flooding or hurricanes, which can cause great damage to their communities and countries. Quite how destructive this can be became apparent with the hurricane in the Caribbean last September; and of course the devastating Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.

Overcoming these global challenges, whether as individuals or nations, depends on human ingenuity and commitment it involves young people in particular having the chance to develop their talents and their abilities -without being held back by inequality. In my lifetime, I have often seen that when people are encouraged to develop their skills of writing and reasoning, they are well placed to contribute their ideas and energies towards building a better future.

The key to unlocking human potential, and creating opportunity, is education.

Education is sometimes described as the golden thread that binds the Commonwealth. Our shared use of a common, world language -English -has underpinned a long and rich tradition of educational co-operation. With our shared practices and similar systems, an extensive network of scholarships and many examples of excellence, much has been achieved.

That work continues as the Commonwealth responds to today’s new challenges. In our association, where around 75 million children lack access to basic education, one clear objective is the UN Millennium Development Goal of achieving universal primary education by 20 15. Another is mitigating the effects of HIV and AIDS, two-thirds of whose sufferers around the world are Commonwealth citizens, and which in some member countries each year causes the death of more teachers than can be met by newly qualified replacements. A third objective is to expand distance education, through bodies such as the Commonwealth of Learning -based in Canada -which encourages Commonwealth countries to pool their expertise. Knowledge-based economies are the key to future prosperity, and overcoming technological and other inequalities will be much in the minds of Commonwealth Heads of Government when they meet in Malta in November:

For all of us, knowledge is a life-long journey. Education is a precious gift. which should be available to everyone, young and old. Not only does it equip us with the skills and the intellect to overcome the problems we face; it also increases our understanding of- and respect for -other people, whatever our differences may be. Perhaps Nelson Mandela put it best when he said, ‘education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world’.

To everyone throughout the Commonwealth who is working towards this worthy goal, I extend my heartfelt thanks..

-0-

 Rtd. Captain Saine Launches Book

Ripped Apart, a novel authored by a visually impaired Rtd. Captain Lamin K. Saine, was two weeks ago formally launched by the SoS for Communications, Information and Technology Amadou Scattred Janneh.

The book depicts a war-ravaged country, with peacekeepers grappling with their own socio-economic conditions, while trying to put an end to senseless ethnic clearing and fratricidal conflicts. It at the same time talks of the escapades of an army NCO bewitched by two beautiful girls. His pranks led him into amorous and criminal adventures.

Deputising for President Jammeh, Mr. Janneh indicated that Ripped Apart, beside being a fictional work with much entertainment value, "is an interesting piece of work that does not only help to shed light on key aspects of soldiers’ peace keeping experience but also touches serious matters that soldiers must grapple with during their course of duty".

SoS Janneh indicates that the book can serve as an important source of lesson and inspiration for soldiers, and hoped that readers would find Ripped Apart quite intriguing and illuminating.

Describing the author as a remarkable Gambian, Dr Janneh said Capt. Saine’s service to the country and the seemingly insurmountable obstacles he overcame, including his loss of sight to become what he is today should make him a role model for Gambians. "His determination and hardwork are worthy of emulation", the SoS emphasised.

Janneh noted that books, whether fiction or non-fiction, plays a crucial role in our spiritual, social political and economic development. He asserted that books also help people to learn from the wisdom, the joy and the mistakes of others, and that no time is ever wasted if one has a book as a companion.

In his review of the book Justice A.K. Savage of the High Court stated that the book demonstrates that the blind cannot only lead the blind, but also people with sight. "We know that here is a man who accepts his fate with a huge dose of faith, as far as I am concerned this is alpha and omega", he said.

A.K. Savage explained that the book was written with modern literature techniques. He said that the author has supplied readers with flashback within flashback, pointing views within points of view, reflections within reflections so as to sustain their interest.

Rtd Capt. Saine was a teacher and a military intelligence officer who served in the ECOMOG contingent in Liberia, among others. He lost his sight following a car accident in 1993. With the facilitation of the Gambia government and encouragement from his friends, he overcame the effects of his accident by learning Braille and subsequently became a computer literate. This achievement of publishing a book makes him an example that sensory disability can be overcome and does not necessary mean one would have to be dependent.

In his launching statement, Mr. Saine thanked President Jammeh, The Point Newspaper, friends, relatives and all those who contributed to the success of the book.

-0-

Murder Case Suffers Setback

 By Dawda Faye

A murder case involving One Mamudu Bah, who was on the 4th November arraigned before Magistrate Saho, has suffered a set back.

The particulars of offence states that on the 6th July 2004, the accused murdered one Ousman Sowe whose body was found at Sun Beach Hotel.

The accused pleaded not guilty.

Magistrate Amina Saho then told the court that the accused has a right to a lawyer but said that he could not afford the service of a lawyer.

The magistrate then indicated that the state must provide the accused with a lawyer and added that the offence is not bailable. He then ordered for the accused to be remained in the custody, and finally referred the case to the Attorney General’s Chambers.

The case was then transferred to Magistrate Kebba Sanyang of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court, where it was mentioned again.

Prosecutor Touray said before Magistrate Sanyang on the 14th March, 2005, that the file was not available at the court, since it is still in the Attorney General’s Chambers.

The accused maintained that he could not hire a lawyer because of financial constraints.

The case was finally adjourned for the Attorney General’s Chambers to make the file of the case available to the court and also for the state to provide the accused with a lawyer.

-0-

Another Link For Gunjur

 By Lamin Njie

 The people of Gunjur, have recently forged link with a group of Belgians under the auspices of the Trust Agency for Rural Development (TARUD).

In a bid to cement ties between the two groups, four Belgians from Erasmush-ogeschool Brussels Teacher Training Department, last Friday arrived in the country to acquaint themselves with the people of Gunjur and its environs.

Speaking to reporters at the Tarud office, shortly after their arrival, the coordinator of Marc Van Camp International Erasmushoges

chool Brussels Teacher Training Department, said they are on a fact finding mission in Gunjur and intend to embark on a project in the coastal town.

She said among them are teachers for the nursery school, nutritionist, and specialist in laboratory.

According to them, they would like to exchange visit from both sides in the near future, since according to them their aspirations would bear fruitions.

In his welcoming remarks, Famara Demba, a community member from Gunjur assured the four Belgians that they would do everything possible to ensure the full realisation of their aims and objectives.

Another native of Gunjur, Star Janneh, also expressed similar sentiments.Gunjur/Belgians link dates far back in December when Marc Van Camp made a visit to The Gambia.

-0-

 Charting Our Own Destiny, Valiants Are Not Afraid Of Confrontation But Always Avoid It

By Seedy Bojang

A sword has always found itself in the destiny of the people. These peace-loving people with a unique culture of thousands of years, standing and born in the midst of century-long beauties, hospitality, friendliness, patience and cultism for which her people have been known for ages and from time memorial.

It has always born up the rigors of attack, treat, intimidation and violence against humanity, as the stroke of the sword against independence, patriotism and liberty of our dear people, who have charted their ways through relentless and resolute struggle. And with the sword they have also responded to aggressions, thereby restoring their destiny and hewing out their ways towards the future.

It is under the same token that we whetted our only weapon against enemies of progress and democracy to thwart the insidious schemes of "reactionary elements" who are the only obstacle to our nightmarish worries.

In our domain as journalists, we are here again confronted with another claws of frustration, where the fourth estate of the government are aggrieved over legislation of new media laws, which have widened the parameter of libel and increased the bond of registration to five-fold. Though it is seen by the state as checks on the professionalism of journalists, but is perceived by many in our peninsula as obnoxious, with many receiving it with consternation, including the GPU, human rights association and the international press associations.

While it is not my intention to give a negative connotation to the issue, others claimed that "history has shown that such draconian regulations were meant to defend the clutches of the colonial era", when the black race was subjected to foreign domination and subjugation.

As a result of this milieu, journalists in The Gambia have resolutely stood heroic to challenge the legislations in the courts, hence it is unreservedly perceived by the whole cadre of Gambian journalists as draconian as any other claws of subjugation, which is not only against the dictum of peace, progress, love, democracy and development, but also inimical to the true dictates of the constitution (the supreme laws of the land).

Therefore, there is a need to engage both sides in a dialogue to redress the situation and reach at a compromise for the interest of the future generation. While we cannot refrain from the fact that government has all the wielding powers at their disposal to gag the press, it is important to note that journalists on their part have the right to defend the freedom of speech and of the press and their rights and interests.

It is in this light that we extended our hands of friendship to the Secretary of State for Information, Communication and Technology Ahmed Scattred Janneh, who is supposedly vested with the responsibility of advising the President on issues relating to the media, to solidify relations with the media and engage them in a dialectical deliberation for possible harmonization.

Yes, we did categorically state our position to the visit, but lot of water have flowed under the bridge, since the visit of S0S at the media houses and up till now we are yet to witness a positive outcome from the deliberations. It is evident that there is bound to be negativity around issues of this magnitude, particularly on the proposed match between the media and the government officials, but it is interesting to note that FOROYAA ran an editorial on the issue, depicting voluminous positivity about the need for dialogue. It indeed crowned the move by the SoS as a way forward for the Gambian media, especially at this material time. Yes, we may have different political orientations and connections, but journalists should always breathe the same air and think the same way, as patriots and heroic people in other parts of the world, who are fighting for a common goal and as people who are gallantly building a new life for the interest of peace, democracy and development, without recourse to one-sidedness, parochialism and indoctrination of any form, but for the good of our dear fatherland.

The courtesy of FOROYAA and some of the concerned journalists is classical, to say the least. It is as much neat and informal as they are in most cases sincere in matters of national interest and development. I personally would not regret to vouch that it is only through such engagements that we can build paradisiacal nation, free from all forms of rigidity and backwardness and where we could all feel the full blossom of nationalism.

While it is our utmost desire to extend our solidarity to all peace-loving compatriots and movements, we hoped the occasion would not be used as a political platform to ridicule us, but as an edge-cutting plan of action for the promotion of democracy and progress. (Over to the press).

-0-

THE WAY OF FRIENDSHIP IN ISLAM

 By Ibrahim Kromah

 In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.

Dear Reader,

I do humbly take this opportunity to present to you this discourse in accordance to the nature of Islam, being the most complete and perfect religion with total guidance in all aspects of life for both this world and the next.

Human beings in all phases of life from the beginning of childhood and youth till old age are in need of friendship and association with others. Owing to his social nature, man is compelled to live in society and with individuals and in order to attain his objectives, he must benefit from the help and co- operation of friends. In this regard, those who have worthy friends are never lonely and friendless in the world, since in joy and in sorrow, their true friends aid and support them. A human being naturally feels happy at the companionship of friends, and is sad at being lonely and having no worthy companion.

It is very important to note that this relationship among human beings is of sensitive nature and has to be established with great care and guidance. And as Islam being the perfect way of human existence to effect both happiness and satisfaction for man, then it becomes imperative for man also to adhere to the teachings of Islam as contained in both the Quran and Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (SAW). As to the means, one can be able to benefit and derived guidance from the Quran and Prophetic Sunnah in order to gain happiness and satisfaction, we must therefore turn to the Holy Imams of Ah1-ul-Bait (AS) who are Imams of guidance and beacons of darkness, being the true interpreters of the Quran and Sunnah, being meritorious for what the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said in their regard:

"The parable of my Ahl-ul-bait among you is that of the Ark of Noah, whoever gets aboard it is saved and whoever strays away from it is drowned. So don’t outstrip them, for then you shall perish.

Don’t teach them for they are more knowledgeable than you", (Ibn Hajar in his al-Sawa’iq al-Muhriqah PP 136-227, al-Suyuti in his Jami’ al-Saghir, Vol.2 P132, Ahmad Ibn Hanbal in his Musnad Vol.3, P17 and Vol.4, P366, Hilyat al-’awliyah Vol.4, P306, Mustadrak al-Hakim, Vol.3, P151, Talkhis a1-Dhahabi, al- Tabarani in al-MuJam al-Saghir Vol.2 P22). With regard to this reality to which the holy Prophet of Allah himself has attested to without the slightest doubt in respect of their status and knowledge, we may now see what they said with regards to the subject under discussion. Imam All Ibn Abi Talib (AS) the first Imam of Ahl-ul-bait (AS), that is, the pure Household of the Messenger of Allah (SA W) considers real friends as the treasures of this world and the hereafter, and says: "Find friends for yourself from among your co-religionist brethren since they are the treasures of this world and the next." In another remark, he considers virtuous friends the equivalent of the noblest members of the body and says: "He who loses his pure- hearted friend whose friendship he has sought for the sake of God, resembles as if he has lost the noblest part of his body." The point of which the Imam (AS) of the Ahl-ul-bait with due regards to Islam wanted to emphasize, is that, friendship may be considered worthy only if it is fostered for the sake of God, and reliable friend is one whose friendship is based on spirituality .A friend that is made for the sake of wealth, position, beauty and such things, will disappear automatically when those factors come to an end. No material thing can act as the basis of a lasting friendship or produce happiness. Another point to which Islam attaches much importance to, is the choice of a friend. From the view point of the Imam All (AS) one should not make friendship with each and every individual, since there are persons whose friendship is harmful and dangerous. Without a doubt every friend affects the material and spiritual affairs of his own companion, and each of them unconsciously influences the ideas, morals and conduct of the other. Experience has shown, too that many friendships have changed the destiny of individuals and their course of life. Friends influence each other’s ways, faith and religion. The head of the Ahl-ul-bait, the first infallible and Messenger of Allah, Muhammad Ibn Abdullah (SAW) said: "The way of each person accords with the faith and religion of his friend and companion".

Some people are so confident of their purity and nobility and imagined that they will not be subjected to any harm in their association with bad persons.

They consider their personality as strong enough to be influenced by vices. They however, forget that cotton wool gets aflame by nearness with fire, and glass gets broken through contact with stones. Unfortunately, corruption and impurity can verily affect the human spirit, and easily make it catch fire like gunpowder, and burn the entire world with their flame. As a matter of fact, supposing you are so dignified and noble that you are not influenced by the bad persons in associating with them. What will people say about you? Will they not consider you as one of the rabble when you associate with them? However, in any case, it should not be forgotten that association with good people is a condition of happiness. Many a person is miserable only because he has not been careful in the choice of friends. The danger of having corrupt friends is not confirmed to the worldly life alone. Such friendships produce regret on the day of resurrection too. The Holy Quran spoke about those who are to receive chastisement from God in future life: "They wish that they had not made friends with the impious, for, it was they who misled them" (25:32).

With regards to friendship and association the 8th infallible person of the Prophet’s Household and 6th Imam of the Ahl-ul- bait, Imam Jafar Al-Sadiq (AS) says: My father (ie Imam Muhammad al-Baqir 7th infallible and 5th Imam of Ahl-ul-bait (AS) while advising me, said once: "0 my son! He who associates with the wicked persons, will not remain safe from their injury, and he who steps into unsuitable places, will become defamed and he who can not control his tongue will become repentant" .

The forth Imam of the Ahl-ul-bait, (Son of Imam Husain (AS) the beloved grandson of the Holy Prophet (SAW) and Chief of the Martyrs). Imam Zain-ul-Abideen (AS) says: "Do not associate with five persons, never talk with them, and never keep their company on any course. They are as follows:

(1). Avoid liars since they are like mirage, altering the truth with their words. They depict what is far as something near, and what is near as something far, and thus divert you from the truth.(2.) Avoid a lewd and sinning fellow, for his friendship is not trustworthy, and he sells you for a bite or even less.(3.) Avoid miserly persons, since such fellows drag you towards abjectness and basement at the time of need and distress.

(4.) Avoid stupid fellows since, although they intend to be useful to you, owing to their foolishness, they involve you in difficulty and losses.

(5.) Avoid those who are trenchant of mercy and who break away from kinsmen and treat them badly; for this group has been cursed and damned in the Qur’an.

Imam A1i (AS) the Gate of the Prophet’s knowledge in his last will to his son (the 2nd Imam and beloved grandson of the Holy Prophet of Islam) says: "Keep away from notorious centers, and avoid such gatherings which are suspicious. Remember that a bad companion deceives his friend, encourages him to commit ugly deeds, and eventually contaminates him". My brothers and sisters; this is just a jist of the illuminating knowledge from the folks of the Household of the Holy Prophet of Islam with regards to guidance on the issue of friendship and association in Islam. There is a lot more to benefit on this discourse but I will stop here so far and God willing, you will be benefiting from these holy personalities whom the Prophet himself has instructed us to adhere to because of their unmatched faith, purity, knowledge and status with regards to guidance both in temporal matters and spiritual affairs as enshrined in the Prophetic Tradition of the Ark as cited in the beginning of this discourse. May Allah bless you and guide you toward the straight path.

There is no might and power save in Allah. Wa Salaam.

-0-

 Lord of the Rats - Part Two

 By Baba Galleh Jallow

The door opened slowly and the bald head of a middle-aged white man peered from behind the panel, his red face one big exaggerated grin.‘Your Excellency…,’ he said.

‘Come in, Whitehead,’ General Ratty said, not taking his eyes off a folder he was slowly browsing. Mr. Whitehead gently stepped in and gently closed the door behind him, gently, gently. He walked gently across the large office, gently readjusting his tie and brushing down his suit, gently. Like a well-behaved child, he remained gently on his feet near the chair in front of the presidential desk, his arms gently clasped before him.

‘You may sit down, Whitehead,’ General Ratty said, still flipping the pages of the folder.

‘Thank you, Your Excellency.’ Mr. Whitehead gently eased himself into the chair. General Ratty looked up, sighed and slowly shook his head.

‘Tell me, Mr. Whitehead,’ he said. If you walk into a court room, how do you address the chief justice?’

‘My Lord, Your Excellency,’ Mr. Whitehead answered. His heartbeat quickened at the unusual question.

‘And tell me, Mr. Whitehead,’ General Ratty pursued, ‘who appointed the chief justice to that position?’

‘You did, Your Excellency,’ Mr. Whitehead said, struggling to force the words out of his tightening throat.

‘Now - if I appointed the chief justice and you call the chief justice your lord, what should you call me, Mr. Whitehead?’ General Ratty asked, peering suggestively at the increasingly red-faced Mr. Whitehead.

‘Anything you want me to call you, Your Excellency.’

‘Well I want you to call me your Lord too, since there is no higher title in the land. I cannot have my juniors addressed in higher ways than me. Do you understand, Mr. Whitehead?’

‘Oh yes, Your – My Lord. That’s perfectly understood.’

‘That’s a good boy,’ General Ratty said. ‘Now let’s turn to official business. What is all this nonsense in this so-called U.S. State Department Country Report. They accuse my government of human rights abuses, detention of criminals and a whole lot of other nonsense. You Americans, who do you think you are? You try to tell everybody how they should run their own countries?’

Mr. Whitehead was lost for words.

‘Well, my Lord….’ he blurted out. General Ratty sounded angry.

‘What gives you Americans the right to come here and tell me how to run my own country when I do not go to America and tell you how to run your country? All of you white people are the same. First you came and colonized us; now we are independent but you still try to control us? Why is that, Mr. Whitehead?’

‘Well, My Lord; I totally agree with you. I do not at all agree with the State Department. They should not interfere in the internal affairs of your country. You are a great and wise ruler and your people love you. Also, it violates the principle of sovereignty and territorial integrity as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,’ Mr. Whitehead said, quickly slipping into Smart Mode and punching his mental button for ego-stroking. He knew how to get out of difficult situations like this: Just stroke the despot’s ego. Stroke it hard! Stroke it! Tell him he is right and everybody else is wrong! Tell him he is God! Come on, come on! Stroke it – stroke the bloated ego! Lick it! Let him come right into your mouth and swallow the slimy shit.

‘Good sense, Mr. Whitehead. Good sense. That is why I’m paying you $50,000 a month to serve as my international adviser,’ General Ratty said, broadly beaming. ‘Now, I also received this so-called memo telling me that my government will not qualify for your president’s what’s it called? Minimum change amount..?’

‘Millennium Challenge Account, My Lord,’ Mr. Whitehead corrected, red but beaming. Happy that the storm has passed for now.

‘Whatever it is called, Whitehead. General Ratty is not a leader to worry about names. I am interested in practical results, Whitehead. Hard, practical results. Not so-called names. So, what is this whole thing about?’

Mr. Whitehead, a professional strategist with a keen understanding of his boss’s mentality, straightened up, already poised with suggestions as to how his boss could walk over or around all the diplomatic strictures in order to qualify for the lucrative Millennium Challenge Account. Already, his financial mouth was watering. He smelt another fat deal!

‘Not to worry my Lord. I will contact Washington right away and get this mess straightened up. I know a consultant very close to the White House. We will pull some strings.’

‘Very good. Whitehead,’ General Ratty said. ‘I like that sentence - pull some strings. Just make sure you pull them hard enough, Whitehead. Don’t worry about the cost. Just pull them hard enough so they will know that we African leaders can also pull strings. By the way, how much do you think your friend the consultant will ask for?’

‘I would say a million or two dollars, My Lord. But I can talk to him.’

‘Ha! Be careful you don’t make him think we are so poor we will go groping for mercy at his feet. Just let me know how much he needs okay?’

‘Consider it done, My Lord,’ Mr. Whitehead said. As the General waved his hand in dismissal, Mr. Whitehead rose from the chair and backed humbly out of the office. When he closed the door to his own office, Mr Whitehead threw his arms in the air, let out a muted Yes!! and did a classical waltz to celebrate yet another big catch. It was so good for working for such fools as His Pious Excellency the General! He will Mugabe him and Mobutu him and Bongo him real hard!

-0-

The Amazing President - Part Two

by Fatou Jaw Manneh, Washington, DC

 Guess who is talking irresponsibility, our amazing President. A friend posted the President’s GRTS interview on the net. How interesting I thought.

Gambian journalists are so irresponsible that our President makes it a top priority to deal with them accordingly. Gambian journalism is so bad that our SoS for communication makes it such a top priority that he is soliciting the University of Tennessee to come to the rescue.

"Do you know why? Because I have given them too much freedom and that’s why they are talking about it. And now we are going to make sure that for somebody to practice as a journalist you must have the qualification that makes you a journalist. It’s just like you can’t just allow everybody to open health center when he is not a doctor. Do you understand? So if you allow everybody….a free for all. Like if you say, oh, anybody can wear the outfit of a doctor and become a doctor and open up a medical center, you have so many. And then those who do not wish this country well will say oh there is…to have more hospitals. Do you understand what is saying? How many newspapers do we have under 400 years of British rule? One prominent newspaper in The Gambia? If they are talking about press freedom, how many, under the former regime how many newspapers did we have?" The president goes on and on.

First, comparing journalism to science and the doctor is a bad analogy. Of course we have specialised doctors. But unlike journalists, doctors have mostly only one formula for curing a migraine, diarrhea, dehydration or malaria. In journalism, we have reporters, satirists, essayists, columnists and so on. All these categories use different words to describe certain things and even that will depend on the style of the writer. Journalists have a greater choice of words than doctors have formulas or cures for diseases.

For example, one reporter may write that the police found the president in the nearby bushes, another that the president emerged from the nearby bushes or the bushes covered him or he happened to be in the bushes panting or shaking, or breathing heavily, or choking, or dazed, confused, vulnerable, pathetic or frightened, needed help, or was flat on his stomach. Whatever the description, every journalist will have his or her way of reporting it and no matter how it is written, it conveys the same message, that the president was somehow hiding in the bushes. So there is great variety of style in journalism.

How the editors will direct or where they will cut and save again will depend on their professionalism, cowardice or style of editing or in a dictatorship, on their patriotism. So if the University of Tennessee is going to come and teach us otherwise, then good luck Gambian journalism.

The president is boasting of many newspapers in The Gambia during his watch. But if I remember correctly, the initiator of the Observer newspaper which many are now accusing of being a Government paper, was continuously humiliated by the APRC regime and finally deported to Liberia where he was on the run from another dictator. Ironically, many writers ‘prophesizing’ Jammeh today are Kenneth Best’s students. The Observer brought journalism, reporting, print media and the culture of reading as a whole to another level in The Gambia. But we have seen what this leadership did to the man behind the Observer.

What Jammeh must understand is that journalists, like presidents live side by side in every society. I guess some are born but as presidents most of them are made. There are uneducated journalists and uneducated presidents; like we have some stylish, thorough and good writers, so do we have educated, handsome and charming presidents; we have very boring and extreme writers, so do we have very boring and ugly presidents. Every

trade got its fine and ugly points and journalism is not excemptional. The President claims he believes in justice and will use the law to hang people; so do journalists have the pen to defend themselves in the face of tyranny, seek for truth and justice for all, and report things as they see it not as how a particular president wants it to be seen.

Deyda Hydara has been brutally murdered, and as usual this government instead of giving answers, points fingers at irresponsible journalism. Gambia has not yet produced gun carrying journalists. Did journalists kill Koro Ceesay? Did journalists shoot Deyda Hydara? Who shot the school children on April 10/11 2000? Who burned The Independent newspaper? Who shot Lawyer Ousman Sillah? Did journalists arrest and detain citizens over the Ramadan gifts? If we should point a suspicious finger at any person or group, it should be this Government. If there is any sector in the Gambian community that is creating fear, disability and is a menace to its citizens, it is The Gambia government. We have seen the whole nation terrorized and shaken with the crime of mismanaging the Ramadan gifts. The recipients, the carriers, the distributors; the well-wishers, all have their share of humiliation in the President’s gift saga. It was a very difficult Ramadan as many a head of household spent it in serious crimes units instead of their homes.. The gifts whose source only God knows carrying the tag of operation no compromise. Indeed!!!

This government has failed to protect its citizens economically or from crimes and Gambians, because of cowardice and confusion and resort to pointing fingers at journalists. Jammeh and his parroters are doing their best to protect us from journalists’ crimes. What a nation! Isn’t it funny? Even journalists themselves have begun doubting themselves and accusing each other on those who analyze well or who should spare the president or not. There is this top Gambia writer and friend. Very brilliant, my mentor, friend and colleague. I always feel honored to know and keep him as a true friend for more than ten years. He is a mother’s dream son; a sister’s dream brother and any girl’s dream man. He writes with precision, clarity and simplicity. He is humble, easygoing, and likable. You can divulge your heart to him and go to sleep knowing you are secured and protected. He is down-to-earth and in short, is one the most serious, well mannered, good, brilliant and very professional young men I have ever seen. You will not trade him for Socrates. A very active intellectual. But guess what? One time this writer, who I looked up to, told me that I should either stop writing or use a pen name. I asked why and he replied that I am not well recognised or popular like Demba Jawo (a hero of mine) neither do I write often. I responded that I am not writing to be Demba Jawo or to be recognized. I am not a reporter or a journalist at this moment. I just contribute my ideas once in a while to the Gambian print media. I know this Guy is not talking out of jealousy because he can take me to the blackboard and teach me the how, when and where of journalism. I suspect this Guy has Jammeh at heart and cannot just bear the writings of such Jammeh critics like myself. A lot of friends have warned me that he is a die-hard undercover Jammeh journalist, which is very OK with me as long as it does not infringe on our friendship, my rights, or ideas. But that friendship has been on rocky waves since the APRC takeover. We pretend not to notice hence after several trials we realized it was very tough to give our backs to each other. But I still mourn over that comment. It has crushed me not because I care about who says what about what I write, but I do no expect it from that particular person. I love to read whatever this guy writes even if I don’t agree with him; I can read his piece and go to sleep. That is how good the guy is.

Jammeh’s era is difficult on journalists. Journalists have their political leanings too and in a dictatorship, you either have to come all the way out or suffer jail and arrests. There are those Gambian journalists striving hard to show that Jammeh is a God-sent prophet taking us to the promised land. They strive to find any silly excuse to cover Jammeh from all mischievous happenings in town. Likewise there are journalists and commentators who do everything to expose all terror and injustice. Even journalists who are neutral do not have a choice because they find themselves in the NIA net constantly. Journalists find themselves between the devil and the deep blue sea; defending their profession or the President or their political leanings. We have seen all kinds of coyness and craftiness journalists use to continue their trade without being labeled for or against this government. You do not have an option, you either promote the regime or you are dubbed an enemy or unpatriotic whether you recognize it or not. In a dictatorship there is no safe corner. Journalists do not have a choice but to keep defending themselves from the constant harassment and injustices meted out to them. Journalists like most Gambians, were fed up with the Jawara regime and were all very anxious and curious about how this new government will proceed with the nation’s affairs. Alas, if only we knew.

The Independent media is not under any government branch so censoring it is acomplete waste of time. If not for his drama loving, this government should redirect its energies to what really matters in Gambian society not checking on what journalists write. The vocabulary is toovast and actually Jammeh is not the one to censor any writer because he neither writes no speaks well. So let us all give each other a break!! TheD500,000.00 bond will not and cannot restrict the flow of the PEN!!!! Where are Jammeh’s wise men. Never mind, he doesn’t listen. This media bill is unjust and will not scare journalists or bury journalism. Jammeh is dreaming of a Gambia without journalists so that he can rule for 120 years; good luck to him.

Just as the President uses words impolitely, as the father of the nation (excuse me?), patriotism, development, hiring and firing, appointed, redeployed, sent home, secret agendas, unpatriotic, swearing in, recycled, so will Gambian journalists continue to write words like hire, fire,arrested, detained, tried, dumb and dumber, tyranny, despotism, corruption, tribalism, NIA, serious crime units, lack of water, poor education systems, sycophants, ridiculous bills, and so on. The descriptions are inevitable. Can’t you see? It’s a dictatorship.

-0-

Ndongo Lo Memorial Charity Launched Today

by Tunkalemeh

 "Kul’lu naffsin zaa’ikhatil mawti: Whoever lives shall die", the Quran says. This, Ndongo knew but he never knew that come his death, his deeds will keep him living in the heart of not only family, friends and fans but also those who never heard of him. Two young Gambian music promoters Dj Njag’s and Dj Abdou Njie, friends of the late artist, have decided to organise a charity festival in memory of the artist not only in The Gambia, but Senegal, Europe and the USA.

On January 16th 2005, Ndongo Lo a thirty-year-old young Senegalese artist passed away. That day, the nightingale stopped singing as it was called upon by the poignant sentence of fate: death. But for artists though mortals, this sad journey end is diluted as they defy time through their works, which makes them immortals. Ndongo’s formal 'resurrection' comes with this big concert organised in the Smiling Coast.

Ndongo Lo’s band, Groupe Jamm will be playing in the Gambia from today 18th March to the 21st March with a number of Senegalese and Gambian artists. This memorial festival according to the organisers will become an annual festival and will be celebrated around the 17th of January each year to remember the artist.

The lead vocalist of Groupe Jamm will be Birane Dieng, a backing vocal of the Super Etoile of Youssou Ndour. Artists have been rehearsing with the band as each of them will be singing one of the late artist’s songs from the latter’s debut to his last album Aduna.

A song is at this stage being worked on in memory of the late artist. This show according to organisers is an opportunity for Gambian fans to present their condolences. That is why the concerts’ tickets have been made accessible to all.

Renowned Senegalese artists as Falou Dieng, Salam Diallo, Papa Ndiaye Ngewel, Papa Ndiaye (dancer), Aliou Kasse, Aliou Mbaye Nderr, Mapenda Seck, Abdou Guiteh Seck, Secka (Leumbal Narr), Soda, Amie Kolleh Jeng, Tenor, Sing-sing sisters, Bala Gaye (2 wrestler); Gambian artists like Sambou Suso, Mam Tamsir Njie, Abdul Kabir Ngum, Pa Omar, Machu B, Mbaye Gaye and many others will be present. It has been indicated that Pape Diouf will not be able to make it due to other engagements.

On Friday, the artists will play at Jaama Hall, on Saturday 19th March at Jokor Brikama, Sunday 20th at the Teranga Beach Club and on Monday 21st March at Destiny’s Night Club.

All fans of Ndongo Lo and Mbalakh should come out in masses and contribute to the celebration of the two countries’ sisterhood. See you all there.

"People have lived hundred years without being acknowledged in the world, ..., the most important is to fully live his/her life and leave behind something beautiful for posterity", said Ndongo. This, he has achieved today as his last album deals on themes for humankind to reflect on forever.

According to the organisers, a certain percentage of the charity concert revenue will go to the artist’s family.

-0-

KaaBully . S. Nimaga - A Man Of Vision, The Father Of Sonni Alphabet

 One of the stories gracing the pages of local papers of the country in recent times is about Mr. Kaabully Nimaga, Director of Africa Arts Collection (in sonni alphabet KU5D stands for Africa Arts Collection), who is the pioneer of Sonni Alphabet currently being developed into a language.

In this chat with Portrait at Latrikunda, Mr. Nimaga takes a journey into the history of this alphabet and numerals, how he came to discover it, the opening of learning centers for such an alphabet and many other issues.

Would you tell us who Kaabully is?

I am a Gambian who is out with a mission and vision of constructing a fountain of knowledge in a world nowadays largely troubled with struggle for wealth. We have heard about ‘Yesterday’; but as we live today we should clearly know that our time will end too, hence there is a need for one to work towards leaving behind something significant for future generations. People of conscience will agree with me that our world has been founded upon the foundation of knowledge from which all other developments derive their sources, and that including Wealth.

How did your invention come about?

I had not gone to school, i.e. western education. I grew up in a humble peasant background. My father was a farmer-of course I am also one and I did some studies of the Qur’an during my childhood days. I did my entire youthful struggle on the farm, helping my father in the cultivation of different crops then I left this country at age 21.

From that age, I spent all those years searching in the world, traveling across many lands, collecting what I will call ‘lost pieces of historical facts’ until the age of 39. By the time I was forty, about seven years ago, this Sonni alphabet materialised.

It will be important to note here that during these years of my travel, I lost total contact with my family until I had a set of fifteen numerical figures. The first ten were the lost ones, which have been re-discovered while the five are new, i.e. as a result of my own research. The first ten globally exist in all languages but these five have a different source.

Tell us, When you reappeared with the discovery of your language with its own alphabets and figures, how did your people react to such a strange discovery?

That could be anybody’s guess! This world has been witnessing that as history proves.

At first, I was labeled as a mentally ill somebody. I was clearly despised by my own people. They said lot of things about me, clearly casting doubt over my discovery. ‘This man is not educated’, some people would say, ‘how comes he discovers such a language that no one had ever heard of before’. Others even claimed that I was a looser, after spending all those years abroad, I couldn’t bring home anything other than such a strange language. I took all that in good faith. For I know history will be the judge. But one thing remained the fact, these alphabets had existed in ancient African civilisations.

The unfortunate history of slavery and colonisation has succeeded in wiping away our continental heritage. The scattered bits were spread all across the world, waiting for someone to collect them into a whole to rekindle that pride and cultural dignity we lost in the course of history.

They are right when they claim I am ignorant. I have not gone to school or a university either. But the day they were gathered to be taught these sonni alphabet and numbers always make me reflect the beginning of my discovery, its source from day one.

I was reported to the police as a mad person, jailed (indefinite detention), taken to psychiatric centre twice (in Campama) in chains. In other parts of the world, even the United States, at first I was seen as a mad person. But destiny vindicated me, as truth shall never die in the face of falsehood. It may take long but it has finally dawned and it’s ongoing!

So at what age and time did you begin your work on this alphabet ?

That was at the age of forty. In my own words: "Right time, right place and right person".

The time that I lost contact with my people and also my coming back was no secrete to anyone. It was destiny at work. After my discovery (collection) I began documenting them for the purpose of history, while I continued on with other stages of my work. The next stage, i.e. the second stage of my research is yet to come, which is the true message. It is now a matter of erecting the walls….!

What sort of message are you talking about and which is yet to arrive?

I mean the mission is in process, and each discovery has its method of work. That’s what I can say.

Tell us how you started your schools in the country?

To begin impacting this knowledge as soon as it became documented had been a long-standing desire. Hence I needed to embark on such ventures for an inherent dissemination of a language that Africans lost! The European and Arabic languages are both foreign to Africa. People do speak it but it only exists in our recent history. This shows you that we’re totally out of touch with our historical heritage. If we could learn to become scientists, engineers, and so on and become professionals or even experts in those languages, why not our own. We can learn and study in these languages but I think it is also essential to complement it with one of our own.

Coming to languages, it reminds me, Africa is a vast continent with thousands of languages, yet these were largely left undocumented. What do you think such tendencies will lead us to?

You see, we are not totally loosing out as we still speak our languages. But since it was not and is not still documented, therefore us and our future generations won’t be able to study them to become experts and professionals in our own languages. Hence speaking it alone without studying it is like burying it everyday and this will continue until at such a generation that one would not be able to hear a word of it spoken. It’s rendering us to live on this earth without actually excelling like other peoples.

This is the bases upon which African Arts Collection was established with a mission to recollect the glory of our past and harnessing it for the benefit of the future. This mission has spiritual inspirations, divinely guided to achieve its goal in this world. Krio (lingua francas) languages came about by historical coincidence. So this one has its roots and source in our historical heritage. As people pass along this road, one could hear children fully reading these alphabets on the wall of your office (interview site). One can assert that the language is certainly growing popular in this area, especially among school children. To answer that question, I’ll start by asking you whether one could be able to view yourself in a mirror without a coat behind it. You see, not only do I teach these people free of charge but also the way they embrace it shows that it has already been suspected of being "the mirror of Africa" through which they will be able to view themselves with pride and dignity in the future. I specifically targeted these children because they are the future generation of Africa. To speak a language is not a difficult task, but inventing (in my case discovering) one is an enormous task. Hence every language spoken today has its source likewise its knowledge.

How many of such learning centers have you initiated?

They are only two so far. The first and the headquarters are located in my place of birth-Kumbija, URD. The other is here in Serrekunda and I intend to extend branches to other parts of the country.

There is a reason why Kumbija is to be its headquarters, the answer lies in the future, and in the meantime before completing this mission the process goes on. No language is better than the other but the difference lies in both our heritage and cultural values, which helps shape the thinking of Man.

My mission includes helping to shape our future, I mean Africa as a whole, and it is and will continue to expand….

But how do you intend to achieve such an ambitious expansion?

It’s like planting a fruit tree in the right soil. That plant will surely grow and benefit many others, both within and without. Let me give you the example of water, a purely natural element of life. Why is it that waters from different locations in an area will differ in both taste and other properties, some are easily drinkable while others are not. I’ve embarked on publicity activities since 2002, both locally here (in The Gambia) and internationally.

But where is the source of this your alphabet?

You will not know its source. What I will add to that is, the message has its source from the sheep (be it the lamb, the ram or the mother), they all send a message in bleating, heard as ‘MAY’. But do you know what it means. If you don’t know as a journalist you better go and do some research whether it does this at will or was it stored there in its mouth. If you can establish that, then you will know the source of this alphabet. You speak English but do you know the source of that language? I am challenging anyone who is interested in searching the source of this alphabet. There may exist others like it but this one, I have its source and no other will be like it. You see Africa has got its own languages and it is time we start making the best use of them so as to be a progressive people in this world.

-0-

 Sports Journalists Seminar Wraps Up

by Njonji Drammeh

The Gambia Sports Journalists Association (GSJA) organised a one-day workshop for sports journalists at the GRTS conference room last Saturday.

The workshop focused on the enlightenment of sports journalists on rules governing the African U-17 championship, football reporting, as well as the rules of the game. In his keynote address SoS Samba Faal indicated that U-17 CAF 2005 is a lifetime opportunity for Gambians, as it is the first major international tournament to be covered by The Gambia. He stressed that accuracy and factuality are the things to be consider in journalism.

On his part the chairman of the NSC (National Sports Council) Omar Sallah accentuated that as far as sports journalism is concern the development and promotion of sports will be done throughout the country. He pointed out that sports journalists are very important in the development of sports, as the media is getting a momentum in the country".

In his remarks the Gambia National Olympic Committee executive secretary, Mr. George Gomez said "the programme is a major one for The Gambia, which cannot be done without sports journalists".

The vice-president of the Gambia Sports Journalists Association (GSJA) Pa Modou Faal outlined the aims and objectives of the association, principally based on the promotion and the development of sports in the country.

Mr. Faal called on stakeholders to support the association on their drive to publish a daily sport paper during the Africa U-17 championship to be held in Banjul from the 07th to the 22nd of May 2005.

The topics discussed during the seminar are: the rules of the Africa U-17 championship, football reporting and the rules of the game of football.

The resource persons were Jammeh EK Bojang, secretary general of GFA, Pap Saine of The Point newspaper, Lamin Cham of Daily Observer and Badou Jasseh chairman of the referees committee.

Seedy Kinteh, first vice-president of GFA, sponsored the seminar.

-0-

 In Bakau Derby, Match Of Classic Goals

As expected, the Bakau Derby between Steve Biko and Bakau United was a game of standard football last Sunday at the Box-Bar mini-stadium in Brikama.

The choc between the two arch rivals in Bakau, attracted thousands of soccer fans from Brikama, Bakau, Serrekunda and all surrounding villages in Western Division.

The league leaders, Steve Biko controlled the game in the first half and scored two classic goals from the former U-17 striker Assan Jatta alias Bierroff. His shoot in the 30 yards gave Biko the lead in the 20th minute. And two minutes before the end of the first half, Assan Jatta extended Biko lead with an excellent finish.

Bakau United, known for their high spirit, came back in the game with more concentration and determination. They put pressure on Steve Biko who opted for the defensive strategy.

In the 65th minute, another former U-17 striker, Pa Modou Gai alias Daddy Gai restored Bakau United hope by scoring a superb goal in the 25 yards near the corner pose of the right side of Steve Biko defense.

The turning point of the game came in the 94th minute when Pa Modou Gai alias Daddy Gai scored the goal of the season so far on a free kick in the 25 yards which left the Steve Biko defense hall and goalkeeper out.

Bakau United continued to push for the third goal but the time was not on their favour.

The Derby ended two all draw.

In the other games of Week Eight, Real de Banjul lost to Sait Matty 1-0.

On Saturday, the new Jeshwang boys, Kaira Silo drew two-two with Wallidan.

Hawks beat Gamtel 2-1 while the choc at the bottom of the table between Armed Forces and GPA ended goalless.

-0-

 Gambian Golfer Leaves For US PGA

by Njonji Drammeh

The Gambian golf hero Fakebba Drammeh (Tiger Woods) is invited by fellow Gambian to play in this year’s US Professionnal Golf Association (PGA) tours in the USA. Mr. Drammeh is sponsored by the Head of State Yahya Jammeh who bought the golfer air ticket to US.

Fakebba met this grate day of success by wining the Belgian trophy that kicked off last week at the Fajara Golf Course. In a chart with Independent Sports, Tiger said as he now has the opportunity to go and compete with professionals in the USA: "I can play like any other pro. Competing with US professionals will give me the opportunity to improve on my performance level to meet up Gambians’ expectation".

He emphasised that he wants the name of the Gambia to be recognised in the world of golf.

He further thanked the President for sponsorising him.

Fakebba Drammeh (Tiger Woods) left Banjul on Wednesday for the USA via Dakar.

-0-

 Belgian Golf Tourney Ends

by Njonji Drammeh

 The Fajara Golf Club, over the weekend, hosted an international golf tournament sponsored by some Belgian nationals and company in The Gambia.The tournament called ‘Belgians Golf Trophy’ was organised and sponsored by Marcel Hendrix of Kombo Beach Hotel, SN Brussels, Robert Crosset and Pierre Sarr.The competition gathered about 82 golfers in amateur and professional categories.Participants were drawn from The Gambia, Senegal, Belgium and England.At the end of the competitions, Fakebba Drammeh (Tiger Woods) came first, the second place went to Momar Wally from Senegal and the third place was grabbed by Alhagie Drammeh from The Gambia who recently came second in the SN Brussels Championship held in Sally, Senegal.

The tournament, which is the first of its kind aimed to keep the progress of young talents in golf. According to organisers, the tournament is in the right direction and would help improve the game of golf to higher heights.

A total amount of D150, 000 was shared among the winners.

-0-

 In GFA First Division League, First Round Ends Sunday

 The Gambia football Association (GFA) self-sponsored first division league would grap up its first round matches this weekend with Week Nine fixtures.

Today, Real de Banjul would face the bottom team on the table GPA at the Box-Bar mini-stadium in Brikama.

Both teams are going through a very difficult moment.

Real de Banjul, despite a good beginning in the league is dropping points in each game. They collected only one point in their last four games while GPA collected only five points in eight matches.On Saturday at 3pm, Bakau United would take on Gamtel while at 5pm Armed Forces would line up in a very difficult game against Kaira Silo new Jeshwang who have mounted good results against big teams since the beginning of the league. Armed Forces are still struggling in the league.On Sunday, two Bakau teams, Sait Matty and Steve Biko would lock horns at 3pm while in the last game of the first round, the 2004 defending champions, Wallidan would face a difficult game against Hawks.The match would be a revenge for Hawks who were denied the league title by Wallidan last year when they lost 3-2 to the ‘Blue Boys’.Coach Sang Ndong and team are favorites of Sunday game as Wallidan is facing one of their worse performances in the league in the past years.

-0-

NAMs Threaten Jammeh's Cabinet

by Sana Camara

A threat has been directed at President Jammeh’s cabinet by the National Assembly Members for their reluctance to commit themselves to the proceedings of the assembly as demanded by dictates of the constitution.

This development comes against the backdrop of complaints stemming from the early days, when the current assembly was inaugurated, but up till now nothing is done to the effect.

As a result, NAMs were receptive to the idea of standing against those members, who do not honour their commitment to the assembly as true representatives of the people in the National Assembly.

Hon Kebba Touray, member for Illiasa postulated that it is a pity that the assembly continued to complain against the same issue at every time of the legislative session, while deliberations are countered around development issues. Turning to the speaker of the assembly, the honourable member, said in exasperation, "what is your office doing about it Mr. speaker"? To this, the speaker S M Dibba, responded that he would assure the members that on several occasions his office has forwarded such complaints to the appropriate department, and that he had personally discussed the matter with the authorities but the issue is yet to be addressed.

In response, Hon. Touray went on to elaborate that "if the speaker’s office can’t do little more than forwarding the issue with the authorities, then as representative of the people, we are mandated to take actions in the interest and welfare of our people. Any SoS appointed by the president is required by the law to serve the interest of the people, whom we are the representatives. If it is difficult for the speaker to bring solutions to this, despite several efforts on his side, we will do it", he said, amidst chorus of affirmations from all the members in the chambers.

The NAM for Basse, Hon Selhi Bah, further urged members not to put the office of the speaker in "a funny situation", since according to him, they are people’s representatives with the right mandate to do just that.

In continuation of his deliberation, he said the Secretaries of States must appreciate them as partners, noting that everything being said in the assembly is relevant to the development of the country.

Though the president may have ‘bell the cat’ by taking the bull by the horn and attempting to alleviate the difficulties facing that sector, he said it seems they are becoming "mere victims" of the problem when real detractors still remain at large, adding that NAMs should help expose such people, who are bent on causing problem in the health delivery system of the country.

According to the Hon member, local government decentralisation process is getting problems with full implementation, since the institution is faced with problems relating to the assembly.

He however indicated that whenever they stand to speak against certain practices within the government, they were always mis-represented by informers to the president.

-0-

IPI Releases World Press Freedom Review 2004

Freedom in 191 countries and Territories

The 2004 Review reveals the overwhelming failure of the authorities in many parts of the world to properly investigate and prosecute the killers of journalists.

Containing detailed reports on 191 countries and territories, the IPI World Press Freedom Review 2004 includes a Caribbean section, as well as a comprehensive Australasia and Oceania section.

Speaking of the Review, IPI Director said, "With 78 journalists killed, there has been a terrible toll on the media in 2004 as they struggled to report on issues such as the Iraq insurgency and the Israeli/Palestine conflict. Elsewhere, there is the continuing problem of governments and individuals doing their utmost to intimidate and harass journalists into remaining silent on an array of subjects including corruption and drug trafficking."

The report will be available online on Tuesday, 22 March 2005 at www.freemedia.at

-0-

 Children’s Bill In The Offing

by Sana Camara

President Jammeh, has announced government’s preparedness for the enactment of "children’s Bill" by the National Assembly as part of its efforts to improve the lives and welfare of Gambian children.

This "tireless efforts", he indicated have received international recognition, and would be reinforced as soon as the bill is passed into law, during the legislative session: incorporates all laws relating to children in The Gambia for parent and the child; protection of the rights of the child; care and protection of the children, including provisions relating to trafficking in children; support of children by local authorities and child justice administration and care centers.

According to him, a notable feature in the preparation of this Bill is that all stakeholders with the active participation of children themselves have validated it. He recalled that The Gambia, which has earlier signed and ratified without reservations, the conventions on the rights of the child in 1990 and the African charter on the rights and welfare of the child in 2000, had received international recognition for her tireless efforts in improving the lives and welfare of children.

Addressing the assembly, he said "Mr. speaker, it is now abundantly clear that, one of the pillars of my government’s policies is the creation of a Gambia fit for children, where the inherent rights of survival, development, protection and participation of our children are actively promoted and protected through appropriate legislative, administrative and other measures in fulfillment of our national and international obligations".

-0-

MATAG Finally Restored

by David Thoronka

The Mathematics Teachers Association of The Gambia, (MATAG), has finally come back to life after a considerable period of hibernation.

The association, which was founded in the 1970s and preceded throughout that decade, is founded on the principles of tackling problems relating to the teaching and learning of mathematics in the Gambian schools.

In an intimate interview with The Independent, the assistant Secretary General of the newly institutionalised executive, Mr. Malick Bittaye of Nusrat Senior Secondary School explained that due to their indispensable contribution in the teaching of Mathematics in schools, they have deemed it necessary to reactivate the programme.

He said with the support of the Department of State for Education, the outgoing executive in collaboration with the Science, Technology and Communication wing of the department were able to hold a successful transition of power to the current executive on the 27th of August, 2004 at the Regional Office in Brikama.

Mr. Bittaye indicated that the current executive comprises of regional members of various educational regions except region six. He added that "since the inception of the new executive we have held our second congress at the Brikama college campus on December 28, 2005. During this session we reviewed the past activities and look for the way forward. High in our agenda is the revision of the constitution, activation of the account, radio programmes and introduction, of mathematics Bantaba".

He further noted that another plus to their aims is the promotion of mathematics, helping teachers acquire and develop the necessary knowledge and skills, to make them more effective in the implementation of basic education and secondary school maths curricula in schools.

-0-

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤