Stop Killing Journalists: CPJ Expresses Concern

by Sana Camara

The Committee to Protect Journalists, CPJ, has expressed concern over the killing of innocent journalists in the world. The committee advised governments to protect journalists from attacks.

CPJ, whose mission is currently assessing media freedom in The Gambia, catalogues the scores of repressive media legislations, arson attacks and threats which punctuate the work of Gambian journalist in 2004.

CPJ is an independent, nonprofit organisation that investigates cases of murder, imprisonment, attacks and harassment meted out to journalists on a yearly basis, noted with concern the mounting fears Gambian journalists face as a result of Deyda Hydara’s murder.

The murder has drawn international condemnation and a week’s news blackout by local journalist, CPJ notes, the Jammeh government were too slow to condemn the escalating assaults on press freedom and bring those responsible to justice. "About 300 Gambians journalists marched through the streets of Banjul in protest. But the killing left the nation’s independent press shaken," CPJ observes, noting that The Point was out of circulation as a result at year’s end.

Hydara’s killing came barely two days after the national assembly passed into law repressive amendments to the constitution in the form of Criminal Code and Newspaper Act. Amendments to the code sets mandatory prison sentences of six months to three years for owners of media houses and journalists convicted of publishing defamation or "seditious" materials while another imposes minimum of six months prison terms for publishing or broad casting false news and allows the state to confiscate any publication deemed "seditious".

CJP was also concerned about the amendments to the Newspaper Act which increases bond required on all print media owners and extends the obligation to broadcast media. "Owners typically post bond in the form of personal property such as a house, which can be confiscated if they lose a libel lawsuit. The amendments raise the bond from D100, 000 (US$3,348) to D500, 000 (US$ 16,740), a prohibitive sum for many in The Gambia." The amendments came following the repeal of the National Media Commission Act on December 13th 2004.

In another development, CPJ officials – deputy director, Joel Simon and Julia Crawford – Africa program coordinator on Thursday paid a visit to The Independent offices. The paper’s editors, Musa Saidykhan and Seedy Bojang briefed the CPJ officials about the numerous arson attacks The Independent went through, culminating in the burning of its printing press.

The editors also expressed worry about security of journalists in The Gambia, in particular, those at The Independent who have been subjected to all sorts of intimidation and harassment. "Ironically, all these attacks slip by without justice being taken, despite suspects being named in parliament," the editors informed CPJ officials.

-0-

Portrait, with Sana Camara

 Baba Galleh Jallow, CEO, The Independent

Baba Galleh Jallow is an award winning journalist who founded The Independent about six years ago before going ahead for educational training in USA. Author of two books, Baba was editor of Gambia’s Daily Observer, a US based online media group allafrica.com and his own brain child - The Independent. He bagged a Bachelors Degree in Political Science from Fourah Bay College, University of Sierra Leone and is currently pursuing a Masters Degree in Liberal Studies in the US. In this edition of Portrait, he talks about his journalism career, The Independent, President Jammeh and other issues.

Briefly tell us how your writing started?

Well, I started writing long ago when I was in secondary school. I think I started falling in love with writing during my very earliest readings. Reading books like King Solomon’s Mines, Treasure Island, The African Child and some of Sembene Ousmane’s works. But I started experimenting with writing by trying to put into words the stories of some of the Indian movies I watched. I was a great fan of Indian movies and they gave me my first story ideas.

You’ve had the opportunity to work with Kenneth Best. Tell me how it all began?

Kenneth Best was my mentor. He is a great and very generous person. While working at the Exams Council back in the early nineties, I started running a column called Story of the Week for the Daily Observer. Mr. Best was impressed with my writing and often gave me paid assignments to do for him. Then when I left the Exams Council at the end of July 1994, precisely a week after the Jammeh coup, Mr. Best appointed me Assistant Editor of the Observer. He gave me some very intensive training in editorial writing and I became virtually responsible for that for all the time I remained at the paper, which was until May 1999. By then, I had become Editor-in-chief.

You had previously worked for NCAC and WAEC before you shifted to journalism. Why the shift in career?

Well, my job at the National Council for Arts and Culture was on a contract basis. I was employed at WAEC as an Assistant Registrar II, in February 1992. Unfortunately, one, the job was too boring for me; and two, I couldn’t get along with the then head of the Banjul WAEC office, the late Mr. Charles Jow. He said if I did not stop writing for the Observer I will lose my job. Well, I insisted that I wrote in my spare time and I did not write about WAEC. So I refused to stop writing. So after my probation period of two years, Mr. Jow felt he couldn’t work with me and terminated my employment. That was on July 28, 2004. Three days later, on August 1st, I was appointed Assistant Editor of the Observer. I guess the media is where I belong because working in an office was for me like wearing an iron coat. It was too extremely boring.

As a professional journalist, tell us how you honestly reacted to the news of the July 22, 1994 military coup d’etat in The Gambia?

Well, it was like trying to make the best of a very bad situation. Like all right-thinking Gambians, by July 1994 I was hungry for change. Jawara had spent more than 30 years in power and corruption and nepotism had become seriously endemic in The Gambia. If you didn’t have a relative in high places you stood a very little chance of either having a good job or a scholarship. All the good scholarships went to the children of the wealthy and powerful; and people like me, who had no one to pull strings, had to be content with going to Russia, China, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone or some other country in Africa or Asia. Scholarships to Britain, Canada, Australia or the United States were given to the children of the rich, some of whom were not qualified at all. Moreover, there was very little chance that the PPP regime could be voted out of office. So when the coup happened, and after listening to the lofty protestations of Mr. Jammeh and his colleagues, I decided, like many other persons, to give then the benefit of the doubt. But, as you can see, Mr. Jammeh has failed all who thought he was going to fulfill his promises. Particularly his promise to limit the terms of the presidency. So his and his colleagues’ claims that they were soldiers with a difference were not genuine; and we never hear his mantra of transparency, accountability and probity anymore.

As a journalist who had the opportunity to work in the early days of the coup, how did you gauge the capability of the then young soldiers?

As I said, I was all for giving them the benefit of the doubt. I knew that Jammeh and his colleagues were young and inexperienced in the arts of statesmanship. But I also believed in the human capacity to grow, to develop. So I believed that if they kept an open mind and were prepared to learn and improve themselves, they could very well handle and run the country well. Unfortunately, Mr. Jammeh in particular felt that he was already well-versed in the art and science of politics and that he needed no instruction or advice as to what he should or should not do. He refused to keep an open mind and so bungled from error to error. It is sad to see that he still hasn’t learnt a single thing and still behaves as if he knows everything about everything else. Which is tragic both for him and for The Gambia.

The press chronicled scathing reports of persistent arrests, torture and deportation of journalists, especially foreign ones. One wonders how you operated in such a volatile environment. Were you subjected to any mistreatment or intimidation at the time?

Oh yes, it was pretty ugly in the days after the coup. Initially, the military regime, Mr. Jammeh in particular, invited the press to criticize him and his regime where they go wrong. But once the press started criticizing, he proved too thin-skinned to take the heat. Also, he was incapable of recognizing that he was making lots of mistakes and that the press was there to help him and the country. And so the regime turned on the press, particularly the Daily Observer, with a vengeance. Many foreign journalists were arrested. Some, like Mr. Best, were deported. Local journalists were arrested, often beaten up by soldiers. I was myself arrested several times on very flimsy excuses such as, for instance, reporting that the State House Wall had collapsed revealing some armored vehicles parked there. At one point, immigration officers were posted outside the Observer offices twenty-four/seven to monitor who goes in or comes out. No foreigners were allowed to enter the premises even if they came to place an advert and all foreign staff were banned from working for the paper. But we managed to weather all that storm. I was never physically mistreated, but I was intimidated. Or rather they tried to intimidate me because I refused to feel intimidated. But the early days were tough even though hardly tougher than today.

How did you receive the news that Kenneth Best was deported?

It was as if someone had died at the Observer. Helpfully, we were not really surprised. But it was hard. We were however determined to continue publishing the Observer until it becomes physically impossible to do so.

What was the motive behind setting up The Independent newspaper? After all, other private papers existed.

Well, the existence of other papers should not preclude the setting up of new papers. As they say, the more the merrier. There should be as many papers as possible in the free marketplace of ideas. Anyway, The Independent was set up to continue the tradition of independent journalism practiced at the Observer. By the dawn of 1999, as editor-in-chief of the Observer, I knew that the paper was not going to survive in its present form any longer. At the same time, I knew that The Gambia without a fiercely independent paper could very well go down the path of Liberia and Sierra Leone. So, while still working at the Observer, I started working on plans to start a new paper just in case the Observer was closed or something happened. The break came when Mr. Best, disenchanted with how the paper was being run by the management he left behind, sold the paper. Then following News Editor D.A. Jawo’s sacking a few weeks later, I resigned in protest and concentrated on getting The Independent off the ground. So, in short, The Independent’s founding was not motivated by a desire to make money. It was motivated by the desire to continue the tradition of independent journalism introduced into this country by Observer founder Kenneth Best.

By the way, did you go through unnecessary administrative bottlenecks or red tapes while trying to register the paper?

Yes, we had to. Decrees 70/71 etc.

Who owns The Independent?

The Independent is jointly owned by myself and Alagi Yorro Jallow. When I conceived of the idea to start a new paper, I came up with a name - The Independent. Then I looked around for someone I could work with to set up the paper. I was editing a daily paper and had little time to run around. So I looked around for someone who would have the time to be going up and down taking care of administrative matters. As fate would have it, I thought of Yorro, who was then a freelance reporter. I believe he was also the vice president of the GPU at the time. I called him up and told him my plan. I told him that if he was interested, he was welcome to come and see me so we could work out some modalities and proceed with the plan. He came to my office and I explained everything to him and that’s how we started working together. So, the two of us own the paper. I am the Founder Editor/Chief Executive Officer and he is the Managing Editor/Director.

People wonder how The Independent succeeded in attracting such a large readership. Is it because the paper maintains a strong editorial policy, balanced and accurate reporting?

I believe it’s for those reasons, among others. We have always been uncompromising in our adherence to the truth, honesty and professional integrity. Of course, we do suffer some lapses here and there, particularly due to the lack of professional training of some of our staff. But by and large, we have been doing pretty well. Remember, you can’t force people to respect you; you have to earn their respect. So, our challenge now is to keep the respect and readership we have earned.

The Gambia government, in particular the President, is fond of branding The Independent as an opposition mouthpiece. How true is this statement?

Well, we really don’t care what the president or anyone else thinks or says we are. We know what we are and that’s the important thing. We will willingly serve as the mouthpiece of all who are denied a mouth to speak with. If the public media is a mouthpiece for the government in blatant disregard for, and violation of the constitution, what would prevent us, as a legal, independent media house from providing a forum for the expression of alternative views and ideas? We feel honored to be an opposition mouthpiece and the voice of all who feel left out in Gambia’s ugly politics of exclusion. So, let Mr. Jammeh call us a no-position, pan-position or whatever-position mouthpiece. It is our right to be what we want to be. Period.

Over the years, The Independent has gone through a lot of trials and tribulations – the arbitrary arrests of editors and arson attacks. How do you envisage the future of paper?

Well, our policy is to keep working without fear or favor, affection of ill-will, as long as it is humanly possible to do so. We will never compromise our commitment to truth and justice and will stick to it as long as our doors are open. That much I know. We leave the future to God.

The brutal murder of Deyda Hydara came at a bad time for the Gambian private press. How did you receive the tragic news?

Well, like everyone else, I was shocked, to say the least. Deyda’s murder is a good indicator of where we are as a nation. And, if you ask me, I think nothing will come out of it. The investigation is likely to die, like the investigation of Koro Ceesay died. Or the burning of the Eagle Press and other heinous crimes against innocent persons. The implications are obvious enough I think.

What have you been doing in the United States of America?

Well, certainly not eating junk food and getting fat or pretending that I am some special species of homo sapiens or some great philosopher. Simply put, I have been trying to improve myself academically and professionally. I am currently on the verge of completing a Masters degree in Liberal Studies at Rutgers University, New Jersey and have just been admitted to the Graduate School of Journalism at Columbia University, New York, to pursue another masters, this time in journalism. So, what I have been doing in the U.S. is trying to improve myself. And of course a lot of writing for The Independent.

But the rumour is milling in town that you are in the process of seeking asylum in America. How authentic is that?

Well, I am not in the business of trying to deny or authenticate what "the rumour is milling in town" or anywhere else. Best to let it keep milling. Good for its cheeks.

How soon are you making a final homecoming?

Honestly, I wouldn’t know. As I said, I am going to school. Of course, I will come home someday. Gambia is my home. Right now, I’m getting myself trained and prepared for the day I will come home, sweet home. Meanwhile, I do what I can from here.

As a political scientist, how do you analyze the current political situation in The Gambia?

Well, first, I’m not sure I would call myself a political scientist. I would rather refer to myself as a student of political science. As for the current political situation in The Gambia, I would say without a second thought that it is very bad. So very bad it makes me hold my nose. First, Mr. Jammeh has hijacked the Gambian people’s right to a peaceful and regular change of political leadership. He failed to fulfill his promise in this regard. In addition, it is a political situation in which dissent and contrary opinions are not tolerated and one in which the President behaves as if he literally owns the country. Ultimately, our political system is dysfunctional, like a car engine whose parts have grown dry and rusty. The tragedy is that Mr. Jammeh thinks that he is Mr. Know-all and that his regime is the best of all possible governments.

What is the party of your choice?

The party of truth and justice, whatever that is.

Would you work for the Jammeh government if you were appointed?

Never. That would mean compromising everything that I have ever held dear and worthy. The very idea is an oxymoron.

How do you see the proposed football match between the government and press?

My opinion is that it’s merely a circus. I would never have played if I was there. I’m sure I can play better than the Observer’s Sheriff Bojang or Andrew Dacosta. But my position is that the government and the press, particularly the private press, should be playing truthball, not football.

-0-

 SDA Cashier Demands Compensation

For Character Assassination

 Mrs. Isatou Sanyang, a secretary/cashier of the Seventh Day Adventist Mission is claiming a sum of D150, 000 as damages, after the mission accused her of stealing a cooking pot. Lawyer Borry Touray wrote a letter to Pastor Emmanuel Smith on behalf of his client. The letter reads:

WRONGFUL ARREST,. DETENTION AND ACCUSATION OF

ISATOU SANYANG

CLAIM FOR COMPENSATION.

I write this letter on behalf of Isatou Sanyang the secretary/cashier of the S.D.A. Mission School in New Jeshwang on the one hand, and the Parent Teacher Association of the said School on the other.

You will recall that Isatou Sanyang was arrested on the 21st January 2005 and again on the 26th on allegations of theft of a cooking pot.

Her arrest, and later detention has caused her much stress, anxiety, hardship and embarrassment .The said allegation also led to her indefinite suspension from work.

This allegation has been investigated by the police only to realise that it was not substantiated, because some of the officers believe that it was malicious after 22 years of service.

My client is a clear victim of discrimination and such discriminatory practice has been the orchestrated policy of successive administrations of the Mission. It spares no one except Ghanaian and Liberian nationals. It is the believe of the Parent Teacher Association, PTA, that this discriminatory policy has prevented the missionIschool from getting a national character and has resulted in the lowering of standards. The PTA expresses its profound disappointment more particularly bearing in mind that this is a religions institution, which should practice very high standards of equality.

It is the view of the PTA that it has long been the stated agenda of your mission’s administration that no Gambian or other West African nationals should handle responsible positions in the school other than Ghanaians and Liberians.

This discriminatory practice can be easily seen in the following contrast. Isatou has been working with S.D.A for over 22 years. The former head of S.D.A. pastor Adjel Kwei was arrested for embezzling over hundreds of thousands of dalasis. When the case was forwarded to the Inspector General of police, the mission met the then I.G.P Landing 13 Badjie and pleaded for his release. The said pastor took to his heels .He is now presently in Ghana his home country. The S.D.A mission has taken the path of revenge when the new pastor replaced the fugitive pastor Kwei. He promised to revenge on behalf of Kwei and well over 100 Gambians were sacked. These Ghanaians should know that this is Seventh day Adventist of The Gambia not of Ghana .The Association is therefore resolved in supporting her case and unless she is formally apologised and compensated financially for the damage to her reputation and for the wrongful arrest and detention further action will be taken out in her support.

It is my instruction to demand payment of the sum of D150, 000.00 as compensation.

Grateful for your attention.

Borry Touray

Meanwhile, it took The Independent a week trying to contact Pastor Smith to no avail. But the vice chairman of the SDA School, Dembo Kuyateh described the action as a mere witch-hunt.

-0-

Lang Conteh Faces Court Today

by Lamin Njie

 The economic crimes case preferred against the former Central Bank Foreign Exchange Manager, according to judicial sources, would continue at the High Court in Banjul today.

Lang Conteh who has been charged on seven counts of economic crimes, is expected to appear before Justices Tahir or Izuako. His case has previously suffered setbacks after the presiding judge, Justice Paul excused himself from it, claiming that Lang Conteh had appeared before him at the anti-corruption inquiry commission.

Earlier, Mr. Conteh had appeared before Justice Paul but pleaded not guilty to the charges brought against him. He was accused of embezzling D224 million dalasis from the government coffers.

At the time of going to press, sources alleged, Mr. Conteh was still being detained in Mile II Central Prisons.

-0-

Editorial: The Missing Justice

 It has been five long years since some trigger-happy or bloodthirsty uniformed men hauled gun at innocent and armless students who were merely exercising their constitutional rights.

Instead of cooling down tempers by taking the culprits before the law, the government flared tempers by indemnifying the soldiers who committed the most heinous crimes. These soldiers are allowed to go scot-free, thus roaming the streets as if they had not committed any crime at all. But to the surprise of Gambians, they were indemnified after the commission submitted its report to President Yahya Jammeh, who wasted not time to temper justice with mercy and let them go free.

The hopes of the people were dashed, as families of these innocent souls continued to wait for the dispensation of justice. It is disheartening to know that five years have elapsed and until now nothing is done.

Despite all the hues and cries by students, civil liberties and right groups the case is still in limbo because the authorities do not even bother to comment on the issue. For them, the chapter is closed.

Those who watched, although with pain and sorrow, the events unfolded on that fateful day could not believe their eyes that our soldiers who feed and cloth on our taxes would have the guts to knock, let alone kill our brothers. 14 souls gone forever without a just cause! What an irreparable loss to The Gambia!

For some people who had never witnessed such an unfortunate event, the day would ever remain as the Gambia’s red-lettered day in history.

Journalists who were covering the event nearly lost their lives, as they maneuvered to escape shots. Sadly, one of the victims, who met his untimely demise, was Omar Barrow, who was allegedly shot thrice on the chest for merely trying to save the life of a shot student by administering first aid to him. Other sources said Omar, a broadcaster at Sud FM, was killed for appealing to the public to donate blood to the wounded students.

In fact, according to reliable sources, Omar knew his murderer, who did not want him to escape for fear that he would one day identify him. "If Omar had escaped unharmed, he would have been the principal witness before the April 10 and 11 Commission," contended a student.

If the authorities or uniformed men are threatened with a mere demonstration or freedom of assembly by innocent students or any other citizen, they should have better passed a bill to amend the constitution, instead of allowing gunmen to disperse demonstrators through the barrel of gun.

As the old adage goes: "Justice delayed is justice denied." But surely in the kingdom of God justice would not be overturned for whatever reasons. The souls have departed us but in spirits they are with us, as evidenced by the two stories we carry on today’s publication.

-0-

 Ecowas Forms Custom Union

by Gibril MS Jassey

 Ecowas member states have agreed to implement a uniform or common external tariff within the region. This resulted at the end of a technical expert meeting of involving Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Guinea and The Gambia.

The Banjul meeting also agreed to establish a custom union among Ecowas countries on May 28th this year as part of activities marking the 30th anniversary of the existence of the sub-regional grouping. The current meeting was a follow up to the agreement made by Ecowas heads of states to effect a common tariff on inter-states road transit.

According to a communiqué, o% will be levied on educational materials, 5% for raw materials and agricultural inputs, 10% for the intermediate goods and 20% for finished goods.

"The aim objective of common external tariff is to create a common market and free movement of goods and services within Ecowas member states without any tariff or non-tariff barriers," says Mr. Bonaventure Adjavor, a Ghanaian expert.

If properly implemented, according to experts, it would greatly reduce smuggling of goods within the Ecowas countries since importers of goods expect to pay a common tariff on their products.

A Ghanaian economist said the regulation would also boost the revenue base of member countries.

The meeting was told that Ghana is already on course to implement the new tariff, which according to delegates, will bring efficiency in terms of administration and offloading of goods at the sea ports of Ecowas countries.

The new regulation is not however a windfall for all Ecowas countries, as it will surely reduce the their coffers. One such is Nigeria where customs duties go up to 100% sometimes.

The Gambia’s director of economic management and planning, Mr. Modu A.K. Secka told The Independent that as at now, The Gambia cannot implement the new tariff. "If we want to charge 20% on imported goods into the country, it will create a serious price inflation of goods and services," he said, adding that The Gambia’s current customs duty stands at 18%. "Some member countries will release gains, while others will experience lost in taxation."

With the exception of Guinea, French-speaking countries have long established their own economic zone with harmonized customs and tax laws.

-0-

 Copyright Law, A Giant Step For Artists

by Lamin Njie

 The enactment of a new copyright law for The Gambia, which seeks to protect intellectual properties, is hailed as giant step in the country's musical development, especially for young artists who stand to reap the fruits of their sweat in the form of royalties.

Gambian artists have been victims of piracy, since at no time an effective and viable law had not been put in place to protect their works. Through the years, they have seen their brainchild vandalised by people without their consent. A new era has begun not only for artists but also for everyone in this country.

With the enactment of this law, the challenge now is for the Gambian artists to write themselves under some form of Union, which together with other stakeholders in the realm of copyright, and under the guidance of the National Centre for Arts and Culture (NCAC) will strengthen their positions.

The sound administration of copyright laws buttressed by a strong and united society of artists will undoubtedly make a significant contribution to the poverty alleviation programme in the country.

On February 12th this year, a new museum was opened at the Kerr Batch Stone circles site, which will not only add value to tourists at the stone circles sites, but will also contribute to the development of cultural tourism in the country.

The Stone circles sites of Wassu and Kerr Batch, both of which now have been established as museums are currently the subjects of world heritage nomination.

-0-

Government To Control Fuel Prices

by Pa Modou Secka

 The government of the Gambia through the Department of State for Finance and Economic Affairs (DOSFEA) will be a facilitator in the supply and distribution of petroleum products throughout the country.

It has thus entered into an agreement with a sole agent who is at present the main importer of petroleum products for all other oil companies (Shell, Total and Elton) except Castle. Through this arrangement, the government of The Gambia controls the prices of petrol and diesel in an effort to enable the private sector to do beneficial business to the country as a whole.

The Petroleum Act 1921 chapter 65.01, and the Petroleum Regulations as last amended in 1983 were only concerned with importation, transportation, storage licensing, health and safety issues of dangerous and non-dangerous petroleum. Prices of all petroleum products were left out of the regulation presumably to be determined by market forces.

In an interview with journalists, the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP)

Representative Ms Jane Akumu said though the Petroleum Act 1921, a very short act of only four sections, provides the necessary legal framework for the regulation of the petroleum sub sector in The Gambia, it may be amended so as to grant more comprehensive powers to the Department of Energy or for the Public Utilities Regulation Act (PURA) to make regulations.

However, issues in the Act relating to the import, supply, storage, possession and sale of petroleum products, the licensing of and conducting of business by wholesalers, resellers and consumer installation operators, the application of health, hygiene, safety and environmental standards and requirements, and minimum specifications as regards to standard of facilities, structures and equipment, and restrictions on the sale and use of petroleum products are meant to provide for reasonable and just contractual rules and principles in the petroleum industry. The Act will also provide for increased penalties for contravention in certain cases of the regulations and the act, and incidental matters.

Through the agreement with the sole agent supplies, she said, are guaranteed for the period of the contract, short but economical lifespan, which will expire in 2007.

The government revenue from the importation and distribution of petroleum products will be the difference between the controlled retail prices for the various products (gasoline, diesel and kerosene) reduced by the allowed dealer margin and the landed cost of the products, as the process is transparent and equitable, she said.

"The lead phase-out is targeted for the 1st January 2006, aims to reduce urban air pollution through less vehicle emission as a clean or cleaner fuel and vehicles air initiative", she said, "adding that 50percent of the gasoline sold in Africa were lead free".

Leaded gasoline has been identified as a potential source of serious health problems, affecting the mental and physical development of children and causing elevated blood pressure, cardio vascular infections, neurological and kidney diseases among adults, she reiterated.

-0-

Training Package For Fire Officers

by Buya Jammeh and Lamin Njie

 In a bid to ameliorate the conditions of the Gambia Fire Service, a two-week intensive training is currently under way at the Bakau Fire Service headquarters, Banjul International Airport and the Sea Rescuing Station, as part of the ongoing partnership between the Gambia Fire Service and the Avon Fire Brigade of Scotland (UK).

In an exclusive interview with Chris Mivard, the divisional fire officer of Avon Fire Brigade, said the purpose of their visit is to keep the momentum of the partnership, which aims to solidify relations between the two institutions.

Mr. Mivard indicated that for this year, the training would be concentrated in the area of boat training, water safety, and station management to deal with extreme harsh conditions.

The programme, he stated has started thirteen years ago, and at the end of training the team will return back to their formation and prepare for the next year.

He recalled that at the inception of the programme, there were only two fire stations in the country, with a capacity of 30-50 officers, but as situation improves the country could now boost of over 13 fire stations.

He further disclosed that 120 officers are currently taking part in the training: 40 officers at the fire stations, 30 at the Banjul International Airport, 30 at the Sea Rescuing Stations and 20 others.

He finally thanked their Gambian counterparts for the good welcome accorded to them.

-0-

Jammeh In Grief For The Pope

 President Jammeh is deeply saddened with the sudden death of Pope John 11, who passed away last week Saturday, describing him as a man of apostolate for peace. Below we reproduce the full text of the letter:

I learnt with deepest sorrow the demise of Pope John Paul 111ast Saturday evening and as the Catholic Community the world over commences nine days of official mourning for probably the most charismatic figure in papal history, I wish to extend to Your Eminence, to the College of Cardinals and to Christendom at large my heartfelt condolences and those of the Government and people of The Gambia.

The legacy that the late Pope John Paul 11 will be leaving is especially one of accessibility of the papacy to the world. Indeed he was a great and compassionate man who gave reason for hope, a populist and an indefatigable apostle of peace who through the 104 journeys he undertook during his tenure gave hope to billion of souls regardless of their confessions, race, creed or colour.

For, the late Pope was the very epitome of human dignity, a man who strongly advocated dialogue and reconciliation of faiths and religions as amply exemplified by his visits to Jerusalem and Palestine and the establishment of diplomatic ties between the Vatican and Israel. Indeed he will be remembered amongst other initiatives for having been the first pontiff to convene a conference on peace and one whose anti-war stance -the first Gulf War and the invasion of Iraq come to mind -won him the admiration and adoration of many more. He will be missed for his "urbi et orbi" blessings brought to our living rooms for a quarter century and for being the Head of State who was the moral authority of the world.

In these moments of grief, Your Eminence, for Christendom and for the rest of the world, I pray that the Lord grants him safe niche in His divine kingdom.

Please accept, Your Eminence, the assurances of my highest consideration.

-0-

Talk All Leave None

With Khadija

 The Missing Suspects

Since the brutal killing of Deyda Hydara, managing editor of The Point, both the police and NIA have invited all those who had war of words with the slain editor except two lousy ladies. These are the rabble-rousers who confront journalists on every issue concerning the ruling party or government affairs.

Since the security agents have been following issues in the country, the public expects to know the said ladies. Or else let them go through The Point’s archives and see for themselves.

But their failure to invite these people has raised a lot of eyebrows, with some speculating that if they were opposition members, by now they would have been netted. In a real democracy, all birds are equal.

What is wrong with 151?

What is the essence of having a service that does not satisfy the public interest? Well, one such is the Gamtel 151, which according to people, is no longer useful, to say the least. As a matter of fact frustrated customers whose calls normally come and go unanswered do not bother to make use of the 151. "Why do we have to keep calling when nobody answers our calls?" retorted a frustrated customer.

In theory, no single sector or pillar of the economy is developed without a vibrant telecommunication system. The fact that The Gambia is seen as the commercial hub of the sub-region implies that its telecommunication system should be second to none. Even visitors have complained about the appalling services of 151.

What is actually wrong with the service? This is a question that needs an answer because the service has defeated its purpose. May be Gamtel is going through human resources problem which is why some essential services are going through the doldrums.

Since Gamtel is yet to produce a current telephone directory, can there be an alternative to the 151 services. Gamtel should make the service 24 hours rather than allow it to die down like that.

Frequent Road Accidents

Nowadays, road accidents are becoming the order of the day. On a daily basis accidents are frequently happening, especially in the rush hours of morning and evening, when all the people want to get to their workplaces and homes at the same time.

Despite imposing heavy fines on reckless and careless drivers at the courts, accidents continue to hike. And one may ask why. It appears most of them who put on dreadlocks don’t even have a gist of traffic rules and regulations. They don’t know when to overtake or pay attention to sign boards. All that they are interested in is to make quick money so that at the end of the day they stash away their share, without the notice of the vehicle owner.

Should we blame the drivers alone? No! Sometimes cyclists and some stubborn people in society magnetize accidents. Imagine seeing a cyclist competing to overtake a vehicle in traffic. In the interest of pedestrians and other road users, the Grapevine is asking GRTS to introduce a programme dedicated purposely to road safety. Officials from Traffic Unit can be useful in this programme. It is risky to see children use roads as a football pitch. Please IGP do everything possible to avert accidents in the country. Remember, life has no substitute.

Sport Hunting Outlawed

Grapevine welcomes the banning of sport hunting which seeks to protect our flora and fauna. Since the Banjul Declaration of 18th February 1977, there has been nothing in place to implement the act. But now that the government has outlawed sport hunting we believe the remains of our species would be protected. However, bush fire and other unfriendly environmental activities have not only extinct our species but also destroy the forest cover.

Ironically, most people have guns in their homes claiming to be protecting themselves when in the actual fact are causing havoc to our flora and fauna. The police are therefore commended for taking the bold stance by asking people to surrender all guns. This is a good thing but it came late.

Bravo GRTS!

Bravo or shall I say kudos to GRTS for televising the funeral of Pope John Paul II from 11 to 12 midnight. Like the old adage goes "grief goes with knowing," Pope John Paul II deserved to be given 16 hours TV coverage on GRTS. Here is a man who visited us and bowed down to us.

The Grapevine assumes that GRTS will continue the momentum by broadcasting important issues to their audience because there are times when important events go uncovered on GRTS. In such instances, the public is left with no choice but to switch off to other channels, which is not good for The Gambia’s cultural emancipation. What the new GRTS should strive is to win back public confidence. Please identify audience-friendly programmes.

Sometimes they should also view matches that the public wants if too many matches take place at the same time.

-0-

Pope’s Wisdom Of The Century

by Seedy Bojang

 Pope John Paul II, is no doubt a man of wisdom, who resolutely preached the words of God for the resurrection of the fallen world. Although, he is physically gone forever, but will be spiritually remembered for eternity, as one of the disciples for world peace.

It is in this light that we herein penned the last words of the Pope, as he ushered the New Year with prayers for the families and victims of the world’s most dreadful catastrophes in recent times, during a special unscheduled mass held in his private chapel, shortly before he met his demise, with intentions specifically dedicated to all those affected by the devastating tsunamis that swept through ports of Asia and Africa.

As the news heralded that over 5 million people were without proper shelter and nearly 2 million were in urgent need for food and water, after a series of powerful tsunamis hit 12 Indian Ocean countries, the Pope wasted no time to engage the mission in relief operations and to pray for those engage in relief services and those victims affected by the disaster.

The death toll continued to climb to more than 150,000 people, but according to the United Nation, the true number of those killed in the disaster might never be known, because many bodies were washed out to sea.

From the window of his studio over looking St. Peter’s Square, the Pope assured victims of his continued concerns for the people hit by the tragic cataclysm. "Promoting peace on earth is our mission" he said, adding that in the wake of the evils that injure the human family peace is best promoted by "giving importance to dialogue; works of justice and teaching of love becomes the way in which each person can contribute toward peace for all people".

Without much ado, the Pope concluded that we could only make heaven on earth, if mankind insist to be reduced into emptiness but strive for the furtherance of world peace.

Pope, renown for his outstanding performance in the promulgation of Catholicism, is definitely a man of peace, love and virtues, who extensively traveled for the evangelization of the gospel to promote world peace through inter-religious dialogue and tolerance, through sacrificial prayers and reaching out to those in need, and by walking in love with others , transcending political, racial, ethnical and religious barriers.

The legacy of Pope John Paul 11, is indeed referential, emulative and shines brilliant for generations to see, as evidence in his 104 journey of apostolate.

-0-

Christ, Man's Substitue

By G. Goree Ndiaye

 "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him…" ( Isaiah 53:5)

When we talk of a substitute – someone who takes your place – what comes to mind is the pleasant side of things. Substituting for someone means acting in his/her stead. It means the one you are representing is unable to make a physical appearance and you have been asked to act on his/her behalf. Are we worthy of God’s plan for a substitute for humanity’s sin? A substitute that is not looking for reward, but a substitute who is thinking in terms of sacrifice – laying His life for our sakes?

When Adam and Eve fell and were chased from the Garden, they had left a heavy bill of disobedience that someone had to pay. How, you ask? The Bible teaches that the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23) and they had sinned and were unable to pay the penalty. Indeed, the problem of the consequence of sin had not been settled with their departure.

In actual fact, sin cannot cover for sin. Humanity’s sinfulness had to be purged by God’s sinless-ness. Dear Reader, the solution to this sin problem had been revealed from the beginning when God pronounced these words to the hearing of Adam, Eve and the serpent. "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head and you will strike his heel." (Genesis 3:15) God was saying in these lines that Mary’s son – Jesus - was going to deal a heavy and deadly blow on Satan whilst the latter would wound Jesus’ heel.

This revelation by God happened at the cross where Jesus hung wounded by the works of Satan with a little help from his friends Judas, Herod, Pilate and of course the Pharisees who orchestrated His death. In the end, Jesus had the upper hand nevertheless because prior to breathing His last, He proclaimed for all to hear: "It is finished!" The task of substituting for Humanity by paying such a high price has been accomplished.

Our Lord Jesus did not substitute for humanity because of any reward. Rather he was driven by a strong sense of purpose to have His mission of conquering death, and liberating humanity from sin settled - but most particularly to redeem ( to buy back) him from debt. Understand it this way, let’s imagine that you owed large sums of money that you could not pay and risked a jail sentence. In fact, you have been summoned to court to face charges; and just before the judge ruled over your case, a benevolent person came and settled it all. S/he did not know you personally but your case was pathetic; not coming to your rescue at all would mean ultimate death.

Thus, God in His wisdom devised a plan whereby He was going to slaughter an animal to make atonement with its blood for Humanity’s sin. This substitution became evident before Adam and Eve even left the Garden of Eden. Aware of their nakedness they had designed clothes made out of leaves, but God in His grace and bounty had pity on them and killed an animal whose skin He offered as clothes. (Genesis 3:21) By so doing, God was going to take the temporary and replace it with the permanent – leaves for animal skin. This was a sign of things to come.

This act was from then on going to determine the relation between God and Humans. The blood of the slaughtered lamb covered for the sins of our ancestors until the Lamb of God – Jesus Himself settled the debt. God had appointed His own Son to pay the price which Humanity could not pay. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son …" (John 3:16) Consider this act vital in the process of paying for our sins, because the Bible teaches that without the shedding of blood there can be no forgiveness of sin. (Hebrews 9:22)

"God made Him (Jesus) who had no sin, to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Corinthians 5:21) It will take someone who has not sinned to pay for the capital sin of humanity. God could not find a better candidate other than His Son to carry this out. And so, He "carried our sorrows." Jesus was "stricken by God, smitten by Him and afflicted…" (Isaiah 53:4) in order for our scarlet sins to be washed clean - as white as snow. Assigned to settle on our behalf this outstanding debt with God, Jesus "…appeared so that He might take away our sins. And in Him is no sin." (1 John 3:5) "So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people…" (Hebrews 9:28) "He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree (cross)" (1 Peter 2:24)

"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous to bring you to God." (1 Peter 3:18)

Forgiveness of sins; payment of debt; God’s offer of righteousness (His Son) in exchange for our sins; Jesus taking on the punishment on our behalf that we may live; Here in a nutshell is what Christ’s death means to me. What a loving and merciful God we serve. He cares for every detail of our lives and he did not consider it too much of a price to pay to save humankind from the hands of the evil one, by offering His Son.

Wouldn’t you abandon your leaves for Jesus’ skin? That is the offer at stake. God’s purpose is clear.

-0-

 VP Delegation overwhelmed By Women Projects

by Fatou Badjie

The vice president, followed by Secretaries of State, National Assembly Members and councilors, headed a delegation in the provincial town of Kerewan, North Bank Division, where the team visited women projects in the area, as part of activities marking International Women Week.

The visit took them to different project sites, including Chilla Juninka Vegetable Garden, Sara Kunda Rice Milling Project, Kerr Pateh Functional Literacy Centre, Kerr Ardoh Skill Centre, Njawara Maternity Health Centre and Darsilami Salt Project, where women of all cadres overwhelmedly received them.

The selected project sites were identified based on the efforts of women’s contributions in development in the past, and they were given D5, 000 by the National Women’s Council in appreciation of their immense contribution in the socioeconomic development of the country, and to induce them to work harder.

In presenting the money to the beneficiaries, the SoS for the State Department for Education, Fatou Lamin Faye, said poverty cannot be eradicated without the requisite knowledge, urging both men and women in the community to search for knowledge. She also admonished children to give helping hands to their parents, and to work in unison for the advancement of the society.

For her part, SoS for Tourism and Culture Susan Waffa Ogo, used the opportunity to educate residents of Chilla on the importance of Tourism and Culture and urged them to better mould their children to become responsible citizens of the country. She also presented D5, 000 to the community’s garden.

The community of Chilla Jurnka, however, complained about acute water shortage and fertilizers in the area, which they indicated undoubtedly result to poor harvests.

At the Sara Kunda Rice Mill, the councilor for the area, Hata Njie said their projects have become successful through the collective contributions of the members, and a funding from the Social Development Fund (SDF).

Speaking at Kerr Pateh Functional Literacy Centre in Cæentral Baddibu, which was officially inaugurated by the Vice President, the chairperson of the National Women’s Council, Kassa Kanteh encouraged women and youths to be literate, noting that it is the key to women empowerment.The member for Central Baddibu, Hon. Modou Touray, dilated on the importance of education, adding ‘without education there can be no meaningful development’. At Kerr Ardoh, another skills centre was also officially inaugurated to help in capacity building. A cash amount of D5, 0 was also dished out to the residents to help in the furtherance of their cause. The community however appealed for infractural facilities, such as a guesthouse, milling machine, conference hall, solar lighting system and telephone facilities to enhance communication network in the area.

Upon arrival at Njawara, the vice president officially opened a maternal mortality unit, where a cash donation of D100, 000 was given to the residents out of the funds for Jammeh’s Foundation for Peace. The traditional birth attendee, Isatou Njie, appealed to the entourage for an ambulance to be allocated to the community, which she indicated had always remained a problem in the area.

At Darsilami Women’s Salt Project, the Imam appealed for the completion of their mosque, while villagers complained about lack of market to sell their products. They also appealed for the processing of iodized stuff.

At the end of the tour, certificate of appreciation was awarded to the Advancement for the Development of Women and Children (ADWAC) for their outstanding contributions in the socioeconomic development of the country.

Women groups, youths gender activities and members from the press were also present.

-0-

 Gambia 2005 Under-17 Championship

by Namory Trawally

 In its drive to
update the
people on the preparations towards the African U-17football championship scheduled to take place in Banjul from 7 to 22 May 2005, The Independent Sports has decided to feature the developments currently taking place at the Independence Stadium ahead of the championship.

In our today's edition, we focus special attention on infrastructural developments going in places where matches are billed to take place. These are Independence Stadium, Serekunda West and East mini-stadia that are still under construction and rehabilitation.

-0-

 GSJA Members Co-opted In The LOC

by Sainabou Kujabi

 Five members of the Gambia Sports Journalists Association (GSJA) were recently co-opted into the sub-committees of the local organising committee of The Gambia 2005 African U-17 championships.

According to a letter from the administrative secretary of the LOC, Mr. Willy Carr dated March 16th, 2005, this was in response to an earlier appeal made by sports journalist to co-opt some of their member into the local organising committee.

The members co-opted are Pa Modou Faal, Lamin SM Jaiteh both from GRTS in the accreditation Sub-committee, Isatou Secka-Saidy of The Point, Brikama FMB in the protocol sub-committee Namory Trawally of The Independent and Tombong Jadama of Foroyaa in the Media and publicity sub-committee.

West Africa Cricket Championship Schedule For April 25th

The annual quadrangular cricket tournament which features four West African teams from Ghana, The Gambia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria is schedule to take place from April 25the to 30th, 2005 in Sierra Leone.

The West African cricket championship matches will be played at the King Tom Oval in compliance with the codes of conduct of the International Cricket and West Africa cricket Association Regulation.

As part of preparation for the tournament The Gambia Cricket Association has embarked on a selection of the national team last weekend.

According to cricket officials, The Gambian team and officials are expected to arrive in Sierra Leone on Saturday April 23rd. We reproduce underneath a full text of the fixtures of the quadrangular matches to be played.

FIXTURES

DURATION: 50 OVERS PER INNINGS

Saturday 23rd April, Arrival of Teams and Officials

Lungi Int. Airport

Sunday 24th April: WACA Meeting / Practice

Monday 25th April: Sierra Leone vs The Gambia

Tuesday 26th April: Nigeria vs Ghana.

Wednesday 27th April: Sierra Leone vs Nigeria

Thursday 28th April: Ghana vs The Gambia

Friday 29th April :Nigeria vs The Gambia

Saturday 30thApril: Sierra Leone vs Ghana

Sunday 1st May Departure of Teams and Officials

from Lungi International Airport

2nd - 3rd May ICC Development Seminar.National Stadium.

-0-

 GTA In Tennis Safari 2005

by Njonji Drammeh

The Gambia Tennis Association (GTA) recently sent four young tennis professionals to take part in the Tennis Safari 2005 in Senegal.

The professionals, namely Ebrima Gassama, Yankuba Drammeh, Sheriff Bojang and Chukaley with coach Masiyano left for Senegal on March 30th.

The boys will play in nine different venues including Sally, Mbour, Thies, and Ziguinchor. Other participating countries are Mauritania, Guinea Bissau, Senegal, among others. According to organisers, the objective of the tournament is to enhance standards as well as attract the interest of young children to tennis. It will also develop tennis in African countries, as it does in Europe and America today. "The children are building interest in tennis, and with enough support, they can improve on their career in tennis," said Philip Akibogun, the assistant secretary general of GTA.

-0-

 No Printing Censorship, Information SoS Defends Gov’t

 At a meeting with members of the GPU steering committee, the Secretary of State for Communication, Information and Technology, Dr. Amadou Scattred Janneh described as unfounded that the government has issued a directive banning printing firms from printing private newspapers.

The committee, set up following the killing of Deyda Hydara, managing editor of The Point Newspaper, among others, aims to draw strategies and actions as well as dialogue with concerned authorities in their bid to create conducive conditions for journalists to operate.

Dr. Janneh said, "I am not aware of the existence of that. Whoever tells you that let him show you the letter, so that we know who has issued it," he told, concerned-looking journalists at his office on Monday.

He described the meeting as a "new beginning" between the private media and the government and that such a dialogue would always improve relations between the two, promising to liaise with colleagues and relevant authorities so as to address concerns raised during the meeting. Dr. Janneh said journalists in public media have the right to join the GPU. He also promised to help the union access land to build an office.

PS for DoSCIT, Dr. Saidou Jallow, permanent secretary prayed for the existence of continuous dialogue, confidence and trust between the private media and the government.

The steering committee members express concern over security of journalists, continuous closure of Citizen FM Radio Station, amendments to the Criminal Code and Newspaper Act, among others, affecting journalists in The Gambia. Journalists also want solution to their continuous denial to cover functions at State House as well as access senior government officials.

For the GPU president, Madi Ceesay, in the absence of a school of journalism in the country, training becomes difficult for journalists in the country. The information SoS was also briefed on the need to have a media-friendly approach, which would create a conducive atmosphere for journalism practice.

Demba Jawo, Madi Ceesay, Ndey Tapha Sosseh, Musa Saidykhan, Swaebou Conateh and Sam Sarr who are all members of the steering committee attended the meeting. Also in attendance were Fatou Touray and Kaddy Bajo of DoSCIT media unit.

-0-

 Gamsu In Solidarity With Fallen Colleagues

 An assembly of Gambia Students Union, Gamsu, wrote a somber communiqué expressing solidarity in memory of their colleagues who died in the aftermath of April 10 and 11 students demonstrations.

The full text reads:

"It is with our deepest and most sincere sense of solidarity and love that we the student parliamentarians of Gamsu wish to pay tribute to our dear brothers and sisters who fell victim of the April 10th and 11th mayhem.

Indeed, it is a time of sorrow and pain but most importantly, it is a moment of reflection and regurgitation on issues that affect our welfare as bonafide citizens of a nation.

We therefore implore upon all Gambians, home and abroad, and all religious leaders in the country to offer their sincere prayers for the departed souls to meet their eternal bliss. Forgetting these soul brothers and sisters will tantamount to a gross betrayal of the bond of brotherhood and sorority that binds us as Gambian students.

For we should always remember that: "of life, time is a point and the substance is in a flux and the perception dull and the composition of the body subject to putrefaction and the soul a whirl and fame is a thing devoid of judgment and life itself is a warfare and a stranger’s sojourn and after fame is oblivion." What transcends all underlying factors is truth and it is always the verdict of history, which is written through time with indelible marks on the hearts of the victimized.Adieu! To those who fell on that fateful day – may God save their souls to Rest in Perfect Peace. We shall always remember you in our sad moments and merry ones as well.Long live Students Unionism, long live the Struggle"Alluta Continua, Victoria acerta"Signed Assembly MembersGambia Students Union Lamin B. Camara Speaker of Gamsu Assembly

-0-

 Gambia’s Hiv/Aids Doubled

by Sulayman Makalo & Lamin Njie

 Going by the results of the latest sentinel surveillance survey, The Gambia’s hopes to reduce the Hiv/Aids rate have hit the rock. According to the latest results of a survey, while Hiv 2 remains stable, the prevalence of 1 doubled.

Previously, the prevalent rate of Hiv 1 was 1.5%. A policy guideline for reduction of parent/mother to child transmission of Hiv/Aids in The Gambia states that Hiv is the predominant virus driving the epidemic.

The Unicef country representative, Dr. Cheryl Gregory-Fye who launched the report, said the main mode of transmission of Hiv/Aids is during pregnancy and childbirth.

"It is therefore important to include the prevention of parent to child transmission in the overall effort to control the further spread of HIV in The Gambia," she said, while calling for a multi-sectoral effort to control the spread of Hiv/Aids.

She added that since the children living with the virus depend on their mothers for survival, interventions must focus on how mothers should have access to effective care, support and treatment.

Mrs. Fye hailed the development of the policy document as an important milestone in national efforts to control the spread of Hiv/Aids as well as enhance the survival of children and women. The studies have also stated women have more chances of being infected with Hiv 1 than 2. While 25% of women were infected with Hiv 1, only 4% got Hiv 2.

"If the current prevalence rates stay stable, the number of infected infants likely to be born to Hiv positive pregnant mothers by 2007 is estimated to be 250. This could rise to 562 and 1, 730 if annual prevalence rates increase by 20% and 50% respectively," the guideline document warned.

Besides, added the guideline document, nearly a quarter of the young people tested below 25 years had been infected with sexually transmitted infections. Apart from negatively impeding the socio-economic development of The Gambia, this can result to the acceleration of Hiv epidemic unless rigorous and sustained action is taken to provide a multi-faceted response to the epidemic.

-0-

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar MSN Toolbar Get it now! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤