Mr Sidibeh,

                   Thanks for a well put together report. You could have fool me to believe that you were in the Gambia for a study or this was used for a thesis paper. I have been in the Gambia within the last two years and I can attest to most if not all of what was written. I enjoyed reading your article, in fact I read it a couple of times. This is a general respond and it is not intended to you as a person or anyone else for that matter.

 Truth be told the Gambia and her people are suffering and I can her their moans. Some times I think that some Gambians, living both in and out of Gambia put emphasis on the wrong things in life (my thought). Some of us are too materially minded and ceremony conscious. if we can tell gently all what we are going through and live the life style we live, who then shall listen to our sad complaining voices of sorrow? I saw and heard of ceremony's lasting for a whole week with a whole lot of money spent not including jewelry. Then wake up the next morning and complain about how there is no money and jobs. Personally it is beyond me how anyone can afford to spend that much on ceremony's, with all the responsibilities and that little pay check. Even the Hajj is turned out to be a business trip for some. It begins with the heavy preparation, the lavish home coming ceremony's and the buying and reselling of jewelry and other goods from Mecca. I think most of us need to go back to basics. If we miss any part of the basics we have to go back through it. Simplicity is the best rule of thumb. Contrary to what anyone believes, Gambia is by far not the poorest country in the world. If you think it is maybe you need to leave that nice city you currently dwell in and visit some of these other areas in the world needless to name places.

In reference to the current leadership, we as Gambians need to focus on what's important. Believe me there is no everlasting reign. If you don't believe me read a little history. Governments change some times when you least expect it. However we have to be very careful while we are so desperate for change, who we empower with our estate. I am sure some of us that were in the Gambia when the new government took over can tell you what the atmosphere was like then. Most thought that it was the miracle change we were waiting for and that our prayers were finally answered. I guess most are fooled now with the long convincing transparency speech we wanted to hear. Isn't it the devils way of tricking us into believing and then leave us just when we need it most? Abraham Lincoln once stated that "nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character give him power". We need to come together as one, determined and diligent in our fight for a better&nb sp;Gambia. Respect each other and each others opinions. We all have opinions and we are all entitled to view those opinions. Why literally insult somebody for saying how they feel. Lets agree to disagree. We should be also looking into going back home and sacrifice to build our nation. I am sure where ever we are right now is providing a comfortable life for us, but if we want change we have to implement change in our society and start within ourselves. A sacrifice is where it all begins. Yeah I am on stage two of my five stage planning to go back home.  I realise how many young able body and intelligent Gambians that are out there. Even the L can prove that to you. We have Gambians in all works of life from every corner of the world. But guess what we don't even have enough Gambian judges to run our court systems. Most if not all out judges are from the neighbouring country's who is after job security. How do we expect them to rul e against their source of income.............

In the case of that religious issue with the westerner and that Sunday coincidence of prayer and church services. I don't think it was handled well. Religion is one of those delicate subjects, but again Gambia benefits greatly from tourism. At the same time we can't change our laws for tourist. With that said we do not want to encourage divide in the Gambia between Christians, Muslims and whatever have you. They all have a right  of existence. I think if there is a situation, these religious leaders need to come together, discuss and come to a unanimous decision as to how to handle the situation and plan to deter future problems. What we do not want is one religious sect going after another in a country that is already torn and need for her people to come together. Look around the world and see what is going on. Most of us are born and raised Muslims and I am certain you will all agree that Islam is a very respected, kind and humble religion which preach love and respect for all mankind. I have yet to know any situation that is resolved by ego or self worth. Somebody have to be willing to open dialogue and I will expect and love to see my Muslim brothers and sisters take that lead on this. I know all this sound good on paper but lets try some before we start knocking stuff and flying off the hinges.

I will tell you a story about one situation when I visited Gambia few years ago. I went to the beach side walking around. Then I was stopped by a uniformed man (soldier). He asked me to leave because that part of the beach is for tourist. I agree to leave simply because I choose to comply than having my brains beat out of me. As I walked up, by the way this was in Senegambia. I walked up to the hotel bar to buy a drink. The bartender would not even look at me. I stood there for about five minutes waiting for assistance, then all of a sudden a tourist walked up (white man) and the bartender seem like he saw God. When the guy left I told him that I wanted to buy something to drink his respond was that this is just for tourist. Of course I asked him to define what a tourist means to him then thats when all hell broke loose. Needless to say I got the heck outta dodge. The point of this story is I felt very very sad that day. I got discriminated against in Europe an d America. My accent is too thick for some only to go back to Gambia the land of my birth to be discriminated against. I don't have anything against a white man just making a point.

v/r
SSG Camara, Ebrima K.
16th EN BN S-1 NCOIC
DSN: 314-343-7528

"You must be able to under write the honest mistake of your subordinates if you wish to develop their initiative and experience".

GEN Bruce Clarke

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい