Gunshots In Jarra By-election

By Buya Jammeh &

Ansumana Darboe from Jarra

In their attempt to discourage jubilant supporters of Kemeseng Jammeh, Police Intervention Unit (PIU) officers fired gunshots in Soma, our reporters witnessed the scene.

This angered NADD supporters who reacted by pelting stones at PIU officers. During the process, a PIU officer, Landing Tamba had sustained serious injuries. The injured officer was immediately rushed to Soma Health Centre for treatment. Reports indicated that judging by their actions, it is definite that PIU were waiting for orders to open fire on the supporters but were warned by their senior officers to remain calm. Despite the tense situation, nobody was reported to be arrested.

Shortly after he was declared the winner, Kemeseng Jammeh pledged to continue his watchdog role at the national assembly. He said the bad governance of APRC administration was the main reason why the country needs a change. Jammeh punched Kalagi Police for preventing his supporters of four buses to vote. He saw the act as "conspiracy of highest order," which is an affront to democracy and integrity of the Gambian people.

However, Jammeh advised his people to remain calm and steadfast in supporting NADD that has come to salvage Gambians from dictators.

-0-

Upper Saloum Results To Be Challenged

By Habibu Ceesay

The Upper Saloum by-election results are waiting to be challenged in the courts by the opposition, coalition members disclosed. NADD officials believed the electoral exercise in the area was marred by irregularities.

The NADD Campaign Manager for Upper Saloum and Councilor of Njau Ward, Dullo Bah and Ms. Channeh Ceesay have spoken of their intention to contest the election results that saw the defeat of their candidate at the courts. "It is the intention of the coalition to seek redress at the courts because the electoral process is far from being free and fair," Dullo said.

Hamat who lost his seat was not available for immediate comments.

His agents also have denounced the elections as "not free and fair." They blamed paramilitary officers for harassing NADD supporters. "Armed paramilitary officers were armed with live bullets which itself threw fear among opposition supporters," complained a NADD agent.

Hamat’s defeat had allowed the Chief of Upper Saloum and APRC hand-picked village heads to heave a sigh of relief, for they were purportedly threatened with serving jail terms should Sainey Mbye failed to win the seat. "We were warned to do everything it takes to win the seat to avert going to jail. We were given money to unseat but it was difficult. We are happy that we will not go to jail", was the comment of a alkalo soon after the results were declared.

NADD supporters also scolded IEC for allowing discrepancies to take place in the voting system. They said IEC announced a total of 5, 310 being cast while the voter turn out was close to 7, 000.

The official difference in Panchang alone is about 500 votes, with Sainey Mbye defeating Hamat in almost all polling stations except Kerr Ouldi, Hamat’s native village. The Chief of Upper Saloum, Malick Mbye was involved in a scuffle with a NADD polling agent, Musa Loum in Panchang. In some polling stations, some people were allowed to vote on behalf of their parents or relatives.

-0-

Halifa Reacts

By Lamin M. Fatty

&Fatou Sanyang

The winner of Serrekunda Central, Halifa Sallah has spoken about his landslide victory.

"I am pleased to be given another mandate by the electorate of Serrekunda Central to continue the work I had begun in the national assembly," he said.

Halifa who described the election in his constituency as free and fair, said NADD will petition IEC for the conduct of electoral exercise in Upper Saloum, where his colleague lost in controversial circumstances.

Sallah said NADD does not deem the by-election in Upper Saloum free and fair because the state deployed a contingent of armed PIU basically to harass NADD supporters, seize their voters’ cards, arrest and detain them beyond 72 hours. Some were released after the closure of polls.

"We have been educating the people to take charge of their destiny and I don’t think we would go round to corrupt the people by buying their votes. Selling votes is like selling their rights to people who will turn them into slaves. That means we are hypocrites and I don’t think people will turn and vote for us if we were engaged in that," Halifa responded. Halifa’s defeated candidate, Lai Sanyang claimed to have recorded 200 votes being bought by Halifa and OJ. But at the polling station where he (Lai) voted (Madina Fass B329), he was defeated by 67 votes. Out of 32 polling stations, Lai Sanyang won only 4.

Meanwhile, the voter turnout in Serre Kunda Central is very low, with less than 50 percent of the voters not casting their votes. Nonetheless, Halifa said he is going back to the assembly to ensure a proper scrutiny of the executive. "I will put emphasis on national audit report that has not been presented to the assembly for the past six years."

-0-

Independent Editor Off To Conakry

By Sulayman Makalo

The Editor-In-Chief of The Independent, Musa Saidykhan left for Guinea Conakry last Saturday to attend the All Africa Editors Forum which will be held from 3rd to 5th October.

Mr. Saidykhan joins his colleagues in West Africa to discuss as well as prepare strategies for editors and journalists in the sub-region. The conference is organised under the auspices of All Africa Editor’s Forum. West Africa Coordinator, Souleymane Diallo coordinates the forum.

The Conakry forum is a prelude to the All Africa Conference to be held in South Africa from October 15 – 17th this year.

Asked about his impression of the trip, Mr. Saidykhan said, "I am happy to represent my country in this very important function. I hope to share my experience and exposure with my colleagues back home," he said.

He is expected back home on October 7th.

-0-

Magistrate Lambasts Lawyers

By Dawda Faye

Presiding over a case last Wednesday at Kanifing Courts, Magistrate Moses Richards lambasted some lawyers, accusing them of "telling lies in their affidavits."

He wondered why some lawyers are fond of misleading the High Court as well as state in their affidavit that he had judged fraudulently. "They tell blatant lies," Richards stated. While Richards was expressing his fury, Lawyers Dandeh Njie and Ceesay watched, although they did not react. However, it seemed the police prosecutor, 1748 Mballow was enjoying the scenario.

Magistrate Richards’ comments followed an affidavit filed by Lawyer Gomez, challenging a judgment he delivered on November 2nd 2004 in which the court ordered Nyass of New Jeshwang to pay D915, 000 to the plaintiff for his failure to complete construction works. Richards said the court was satisfied with the claim of the plaintiff against the defendant.

He therefore ordered the defendant to complete the constructions works in two months or face contempt charges.

However, unsatisfied with the judgment, the defense counsel, Lawyer Gomez filed an affidavit at the High Court, contesting the said judgment. Gomez described the judgment as "significantly flawed."

-0-

Gender Inequality Heightens HIV/Aids

By Lamin Njie

The President of the Society for Women and Aids in Africa (SWAA) Gambia Chapter, Isatou Marena has said that to reverse the global spread of Hiv/Aids and poverty, gender inequality, stigma and discrimination needs to be broken.

She was speaking at a one-day stakeholders’ consultative workshop on Human Rights and Hiv/Aids at the Sun Beach Hotel in Cape Point. She said since Hiv/Aids was diagnosed, SWAA has played a vital role in the fight against the pandemic. "Respect of the rights of HIV-infected persons is a fundamental right that every individual must heed to," she said, calling on people to join hands in the fight against Hiv/Aids.

The executive director of SWAA International, Gifty Akosua Baka said the meeting was organised to further strategize on how Hiv/Aids pandemic will be managed. She said more interventions are on the pipeline to address the menace. "Stigma and discrimination increase the risk of transmission, as people refuse to test while infected persons conceal their zero-positive status or refuse to undergo treatment," she said.

-0-

GTA Boss On Tourism Development

By Pa Modou Secka

The Director of The Gambia Tourism Authority (GTA), Mr. Kaliba Senghore believes that for the stimulation of socio-economic development for the country, Gambian tourism must be put on the world map.

Mr. Senghore made these remarks at a recent consultative forum of stakeholders at Senegambia Beach Hotel. The forum, among others, aimed to facilitate the promotion and marketing of Gambian tourism.

Senghore doubted why tourism operators such as bars and restaurants have not been registered or represented in any tourism association to facilitate ecoy tourism sector development.

He said Gambian tourism is lagging behind compared to Senegal that has recorded significant developments in the sector. Mr. Senghore also elaborated on the complaints of some hotel managers that bars and restaurants have become nuisance for them.

Bumsterism, he said, has been a great concern for the sector hence the need to get them involved in the development process. He challenged stakeholders to contribute in the reformation of bumsters into official tour guides, bird watchers, nature guides, etc. while advocating for the early issuing of identity cards for their employees to avoid clashes with the officers of the Tourism Security Unit.

The Chairman of Gambia Tourism Marketing, Mr. Patrick Southern gave an overview of tourism marketing. He said tourism marketing required teamwork. "GTA website is currently being developed. As soon as it is completed, all Gambian tourism establishments will be encouraged to make links," he revealed.

The Marketing Director of GTA, Mr. Saho described marketing as the bedrock of Gambian tourism, which is why they see it as a necessity in the sector’s development. He also said licensing is a regulatory tool to regularize the status of tourism operators in the country.

At least 60 stakeholders charged with the responsibility of mapping out a way forward for the 2005/6-tourist season participated in the forum.

-0-

WABSA Outlines Plans

By Pa Modou Secka

The West African Bird Study Association (WABSA) has developed packages on biodiversity, climate change, coastal management and environmental education, a coordinator of the association disclosed.

"Since its founding some years back, WABSA has expanded rapidly. It has been addressing important matters relating to policy, training, institutional capacity as well as raising awareness in communities," WABSA coordinator, Modou Njie said.

Mr. Njie said for The Gambia to maintain its environmental qualities, it must have firm policies backed by strong administrative planning and legal measures. "With support from development partners, WABSA will surely work hard to strengthen its capacity. Our activities complement The Gambia’s biodiversity programmes, which depend on donor funding," he said, stressing that capacity building will provide excellent basis for the establishment and effective management of protected areas of network in the country.

Mr. Njie recognised the pivotal role being played by the tourism sector in ensuring that habitats are conserved. Biodiversity is important to people wherever it occurs and however rich it is. He said the few species that are in The Gambia are very important to the people and functioning of the eco-systems. "Large number of species are mostly found in countries with high mountains and rainfall," he said.

"WABSA has a lot of plans to implement but lack of funds has however hindered our work. That is why we are soliciting for technical and financial support to allow us effectively function in the six administrative divisions in the country. We are doing well to excel in our work because it is our aim to enhance sustainable development. If our environment is not conserved, our remaining species will face extinction," he said.

-0-

Yiriwa Launches Health Programme

Yiriwa Development Radio in Brikama launched a programme on health. The programme is being anchored by Alieu Darboe who is also a reporter at The Independent.

Speaking at the maiden edition, Mr. Darboe said the importance of health is one of the factors that motivated him to launch the programme. "I will use the programme to promote health education," he said, hoping that the communities will make good use of the show. "It is my conviction that people will take the show as their property. We will be inviting health experts in our subsequent editions," he said.

"I hope people will contribute regularly to the programme which will help them attain good health."

Sales and Marketing Officer of Yiriwa, Pa Modou Bojang said development programmes rank high on their agenda. "Our management is interested in programmes that would help the communities. This was why we decided to allocate airtime for health issues. It is all part of our quest to serve the interest of our people," he said, thanking the board and proprietors for supporting them.

The Brikama community described the programme as "a school that will avail us the opportunity to discuss health issues.

Among other health problems, discussions would be centred on cholera outbreak, mental health, tuberculosis, malaria, Hiv/Aids, etc. The programme comes on air thrice a week – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Alieu Darboe produces the programme alongside Lamin Gassama.

-0-

The U-17 Tourney

Congratulations to our U-17 for their performance at the just ended Under-17 tournament held in Peru. Though the boys did not progress to the quarterfinals their performance during the first round is worthy of praise. Beating of the reigning world champions – Brazil is a feat in itself. Our darling U-17 side is the only team that defeated the Brazilians side so far with just the final to play.

Though we had some faults, the boys proved to the world that they are the African Champions. Most of them will surely have contracts to play abroad.

All said and done, we should now scrutinize what went wrong during our match with Holland. The Grape can recollect that in our match with Ghana during the African championship in May, we lost because the twin brothers started the match. Our test match with Costa Rico, the same scenario occurred again in which the twin brothers started in the first half. Our last match in the group stages, where we lost to Holland, the twins started together in the first half. Why?

Sanna is not a first half player but a second half player. While he is on the bench he observes the match and note the weak points of our opponents and capitalise on those weak points during the second half.

Though we lost, we had a golden opportunity to have scored a goal when we had the penalty. Our problem is who authorised Modou Ceesay to take the penalty. Every team has a player who takes free kicks and penalties. Ousman Jallow is our penalty taker, then why the change here.

Grapevine need answers.

The By-election Results

Another congratulations. To who? The opposition NADD for re-capturing three of the four seats. Bravo. Elections is not the spending of money but the facts. And the Upper Saloum seat was lost because according to political analysts, thousands of people were denied their rights to vote, when they voted in the last general elections. What a shame to the Independent Electoral Commission, IEC.

Most of the ruling APRC members who were campaigning will be ashamed because of what they were saying during the campaign period. Most of them are wolves in sheep clothing. In fact the result of Upper Saloum should be properly scrutinised as foul play is suspected.

National ID Card

It has come to the attention of Grapevine that the cost of our national ID card is very expensive and most of the people cannot afford it. One of the things people are complaining about is the payment for JP’s signature. Even when one lost his or her card and wants a replacement, they have to pay for the police report. Why? Is it that the government is so broke that they have to sell passport and ID forms?

In fact these forms should be given at free of charge, especially that of the ID cards, which is to determine weather one is a citizen or not. Why are we paying taxes? We expect the government to provide certain things for the populace free of charge.

School Fees In Private Schools

Parents are now feeling the pinch when it comes to the paying of school fees for their children who attends private schools. In one of these so-called private schools, the fees, books and other funds total to D5, 000. Because most of the parents want their children to have good education they sacrificed to send their children to private schools, as some of the government sponsored schools do not have qualified teachers to offer the services the parents are looking for.

As the government is calling for free education for girls, there should be rules and regulations governing this in private school, instead of leaving them to do what they want to do.

Most parents whose children attend private school are not earning D5.000 per month. School fee of D5, 000 is wickedness on part of the proprietors and owners.

-0-

Payback Time

by Fatoumata Ali Garba

"No sinner shall go unpunished. He that lives by sword shall die by sword." Whatever might be the consequences she is set to avenge Michael’s death. No turning back either.

Her brother was all what she had since they lost their parents in a plane crash. Her only brother, Michael has been the shoulder on which she leaned. His untimely departure from the world had darkened her entire being. It had derailed her and made her lose faith. Solitude had dashed into her life. No one to hold her, the way Michael used to. His death had rendered her life blank.

Each time she remembered the last statement he uttered, the spirit of vengeance would becloud her.

Michael had been a wonderful brother ever since the sudden death of their parents. Her mother and father had been on official visit to Holland when the plane they boarded, crashed.

Their death brought brutality, sadness, loneliness and honour into their lives. Michael was a student of sociology while she had just gained admission into the university to study accountancy when the incident happened. Their parents were the type children pray for. They were the most wonderful parents who showed excessive love to their children.

One day, she brought admission letter to her parents.

"Hey! This really calls for celebration," her mother echoed to her father.

"We’ve started it already," was her father’s reply, picking his car key from the table.

He drove them to a shopping centre and told everybody to pick whatever he or she liked. Her friends most time regarded her a lucky girl. She has come from a family where love, care and peace reigned supreme. She had never for once seen her parents in disagreement; they would not even disobey each other. She envied her mother for the type of husband she had, and she prayed everyday to God to make her what her mother was to her father.

They doted on them passionately, without discrimination. She missed her parents throughout her first semester in school.

Calling them on her phone became obvious. She called her mum one afternoon but was informed about their trip.

"Jennifer, we shall be traveling to Cuba in a week’s time," her mum said joyfully.

"Mum for what? Are you going with dad?" she had asked.

"Yes the ministry sent us to attend a workshop."

"But why not one of you?" she asked disappointedly.

"You know we’re both head of our departments, so each departmental head must attend the workshop", she said, pacifying her. She really understood what her mum explained.

Her parents worked in the same place and both were big shots in the ministry. Even her mum told them that she met her dad many years ago in that ministry, before they eventually got wedded and had them.

That would be the last time. She didn’t hear from her mum until the following week, some staff of the ministry came to their school in their staff bus.

They told them that their parents sent for them from Holland that they should come with them. She found it hard to believe because she her mum had failed to call and informed her as usual. Michael also became suspicious and couldn’t therefore stop asking questions.

They decided to visit home only to be told that their loving parents had died in a plane crash. However, the state had given them a befitting burial with a promise that the ministry would be responsible for their upkeep.

They were not disappointed because the director general of the ministry ensured they lacked nothing. Even though the death of their parents created a vacuum in their lives, they still managed to move on.

Michael took over the responsibilities of their parents. He became her perfect father with the way he carried her along. He would never allow her to be haunted at home and in the school. They were always together and sometimes people wondered if he was her boyfriend. She would vacate her room and sleep with her in the two-bedroom apartment they rented off campus.

Their intimacy angered most of her male admirers. They would be annoyed seeing her with her brother. And once Michael discovered that she was having an affair he would howl and warn her to face her studies.

Her second year was eventful. She had known many people and was having a steady relationship with a final year student of philosophy.

Though Michael didn’t support it initially, but he eventfully did when she explained to him that the relationship was just platonic. Due to his care for her, all what he could say was for her to be careful.

It was a surprise when one afternoon Michael came hand in hand into her apartment with a very beautiful girl.

"Rose, meet Jennifer and Jennifer, this is rose my babe", Michael had said cheerfully.

"It’s nice meeting you", Rose said with a babyish smile.

"It’s a pleasure", she replied reluctantly.

She just couldn’t understand why she didn’t talk to Rose. Something about her told Jennifer she might be too dangerous for her innocent Michael. She was too much of raising beauty for Michael to handle.

"Michael, I don’t seem to like that Rose," she had told her brother a day after he had introduced Rose to her.

To Be Continued

-0-

Status of Gambian Women

By Fatou Badjie-Ceesay

Gambian women presently constitute 49.93% of the Gambian population in relation to 51.085% male (1993, population figures).

The majority of Gambian women are rural based and engaged in agricultural production constituting the main food producers and also carrying out other activities such as processing and marketing fish, fish products and fresh produce, selling crafts in the tourism industry, and other informal sector activities.

In Gambian society today, the traditional roles of women are still recognized and irregularity in the society is taken as given, having been reinforced by massive illiteracy (73%) and women’s lack of self-worth due to the way they socialize.

Available data indicate that women comprise about 50% of the agricultural labour force, and 70% of the unskilled agricultural labour force and are responsible for about 40% of the total agricultural production. This data suggests that women are a labour force, as opposed to being managers in the agricultural sector. In the area of crop production, women produce 3% of the maize, 6% of the millet, 2% of the sorghum, 3% of coarse grains, 99% of upland rice and 24% of groundnuts,(population data bank, 1993)horticultural production, (vegetables) is predominantly a female activity and women livestock farmers raise and manage most of the small ruminants and rural poultry.

In fisheries, women form 80% of the fish off-loaders, 99% of the traditional fish processors, 50% of the processors in the major coastal areas (saine and Williams, 1995). In forestry, women are engaged in planting seedlings and wood lots.

In the area of health, maternal mortality remains unacceptably high as 10.5 per thousand live births. The under 5 mortality (U5MR) is 160.5 per 1000 (GCPFDS, 1990) and its amongst the highest in the region.

However, data available from maternal mortality figures show a declining trend. Presently, 90% of women are provided with antenatal care and about 60% of all delivered are attended by a trained health worker, whilst traditional birth attendants (IBAs) carry out 65% of deliveries in homes in the rural areas.

In the area of childcare, 85% of children are fully immunized. With annual population growth rate of 4.1% (1993 census) and a high total fertility level of 6.1, the implications on our socio-economic development are indeed profound. This is exacerbated by a youthful population that comprise 63% of people below the age of 24 years, 45% of those under 15 and 18% within the 15-17 age bracket. Other population related issues affecting the welfare of women include but are not necessarily limited to, infertility, early marriage, boy-child preference, harmful traditional practices and inadequate representation of women in decision-making.

As regards education, women are equally less disadvantaged as in other sector. At the moment, the primary gross enrolment rate stands at 56% of which young girl’ enrolment represents 4.6%. Female enrolment at the junior secondary level is 37% and at the senior secondary level 31%. (Education statistics 1994/95). Preference is indicated for madrassa education, particularly for girls because of the moral and religious education it offers.

Girls enrolment is constrained among other things by cost of schooling, distance from home to school, the offering of a non-broad-based curriculum, gender biases on teaching learning materials, stereotyping and other socio-cultural deterrents both at home and in the school.

In the non-formal education section opportunities have been created for women and girls to become literate in their own languages. However, these efforts are limited by factors such as heavy workload of women, lack of labour saving devices and poor attitude of men towards women’s literacy.

As a result of the following, women’s access to employment is limited in terms of getting employed in the first place, staying in employment and making it to the top. Women occupy 12.8% of managerial positions, 13.9% of the professional and technical 26.3% of clerical, 94% of the skilled labour force and 61.3% of the unskilled labour category (population data bank, 1994). While domestic workers falls within the informal sector employment category, they are excluded from the labour act of 1990, thus reinforcing society’s perception of domestic activity as a female domain and not worthy of legislation or magnetization. Domestic workers are mainly young women and face problems of sexual harassment, long working hours and poor wages.

The gender nature of poverty has been well documented and continues to be a threat as against human rights. It is integrally linked to other conditions which restrict human potential such as-hunger, poor sanitation and hygiene, illiteracy, lack of access to education, lack of access to health services, high fertility rates, prostitution and child labour. According to an ILO study, 3% of urban households and 33% of the urban population are food as compared to the rural areas the figures are 37% and 54% respectively.

Women play a central role in the tourist industry, a major source of foreign exchange for the Gambia. They serve as food and craft venders, but also provide labour for the hotel industry. In spite of their central role, women face a number of constrains in the industry. Constraints such as, inadequate access to permanent employment, lack of access to training for senior level positions in the hotel industry, lack of access in the fine and creative arts, clothing and textiles and consistent exposure to sexual exploitation. The absence of an organised structure for women and the inadequate linkage between the industry and production groups in horticulture and small ruminants has restricted the optimal realization of the population in the sector.

In realization of the importance of sports to the development of one’s mind and body, women have beer introduced to various sports, although, with limited success.

This is an extract from the national policy for the advancement of Gambian women 1999-2009.

-0-

Worshipping The Sun

By Sana Camara

At the 1992 UN Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil governments across the world signed an agreement known as Agenda 21.

Agenda 21 addresses the serious environmental problems of today, and also aims at preparing the world for challenges of the next century, thus reflecting a global agreement and political commitment at the highest level on sustainable development and environmental integration.

The world’s demand for energy today is up to 100 times as much as that of the 19th and 20th centuries. The industrialized world uses energy up at much higher rate than other places. The average U.S. citizen for instance consumes 330 times as much energy as the average Ethiopian.

The issue of the global trend in energy consumption on earth became contentious among the agenda of the UN earth summit in Johannesburg in 2002 when it was proposed to increase solar power use to 10% of all global energy consumption. It became ‘pushed down’ by developed and other oil producing countries that saw it as bad news for the oil industry.

It was earlier in 1996 that a world solar summit was held in Harare, Zimbabwe. This summit focuses on solar power as a future energy resource and representatives attended it from 100 countries, recognizing among other things, the essentiality of energy to the development of all countries, as well as the need to provide enough energy services at a reasonable cost. Also they agreed to increase access to energy in developing countries in order to meet the expanding needs in ways that minimize environmental degradation and risks.

However the Sun should be the future energy powerhouse of the Gambia if we are to attain a better and meaningful development that will benefit the poor people in particular, and the environment. Its beauty lies in the electrification of our towns and villages at an affordable cost. This will be much cheaper and meaningful to the poor than what is needed for the so-called "rural electrification project." Electrifying the rural communities thermally is one thing but sustaining this is another if one takes into consideration, the cost of maintaining these machines, the importation of heavy-duty fuel and the importation of technical experts to mend these machines if they get breakdowns (which are frequent in our situation). Another thing about this so-called "rural electrification project" is the cost of access to it by poor people whom the project is meant to benefit.

The major economic and environmental challenges facing our country today need positive and sustainable responses. This country should adopt technological innovations that take into account the local environment and our circumstances. Solar energy today is generating electricity for refrigerators, ovens, washing machines, vaccines storage, charging batteries, etc. Gambians could use the sun energy profitably, and indeed, in ways that suit our circumstances and needs.

With over 60% of our people living under the poverty line, imagine the quality of life we would have, if we are to solar-electrify our homes to give us light at night, to power our computers, radio and TV sets, our telephones, cookers, fridges and freezers, air conditioners, washing machines and blenders? And all other materials of modern life that city dwellers take for granted?

The argument is that over 75% of our population lives in the rural areas and 90% of them don’t have access to electricity. Yet, our country gets 365 days of splendid sunshine a year! The amount of energy the sun delivers is estimated at 178 million BIG power stations. 30% of this sunshine is reflected back into space, with the rest both warming the air and leaking back to space (47%) while 23% is spent powering the water cycle and plants, for photosynthesis uses 0.06%.

Our country receives a huge amount of solar energy each year, yet over 80% of the population has no access to electricity in their homes. What is wrong in harnessing this sunshine to the benefit of our people? For the past four decades, successive governments have failed to address the energy needs of the citizenry of this country.

More importantly, very few percentage of our population have access to electricity, and the cost of transporting conventional electricity through cables and pylons make it less cost effective for governments to electrify every city, town or village of this country. The best thing about solar electrification is its flexibility, since it can be installed anywhere the sun shines, and can be used for pumping water for irrigation , drinking, lightening at night. The lack of street lights and traffic light in most part of our towns can be remarkably improved. Solar-powered streetlights will be ideal for illuminating streets and walkways, thereby making it safer for people at night. Solar lanterns can replace kerosene cantons and candles. Imagine where space exploration will be without solar technology?

Imagine the communication and other satellites in space, the spacecrafts on their way to Mars, other planets and the Moon? Where could they all have been without solar technology? Encouraging solar technologies will reduce cost and will also help to leave behind a much better environment for our future generations.

-0-

Human Rights Director Defends Child Rights

By Pa Modou Secka

The Executive Director of the African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS), Hannah Forster has said that it is clear-cut evidence that children are marginalized in many communities, something she described as a crime against the social rights of children.

She was speaking at the 6th parliamentary sittings and procedures of the Gambia National Youth Parliament (NYP) at the President Awards Scheme in Bakau, on the theme "give young people the voice." She said children play important role in the socio-economic development of a country. "They should be given an environment that would enable them participate effectively in national development," she said. "Child rights are a component in the social justice. The entering into the force of the Convention on the Rights of the Child in 1990 has highlighted their importance."

She underscored YNP’s immense contribution towards instilling responsibility among children, which enabled them to live with the spirit of understanding, peace, tolerance, equality and friendship. Mrs. Forster hailed the youth parliament for upholding the principles of democracy, empowerment as well as promote national development. She said Gambian children have effectively proven their high level of productivity.

The Director of RAID, Sambujang Conteh has also showered praises on YNP for their participation in decision making and overall national development in the country. "NYP has managed to boost youths participation in the area of information dissemination, health issues, drug and alcohol abuse, HIV/AIDS and STI, promotion of human rights issues, civic education and rights as citizens, conflicts resolution and peace building," he said.

-0-

Journalist Jailed For Reporting Corruption

The Committee to Protect Journalists condemned the jail sentence imposed on a magazine journalist who reported on alleged corruption in the distribution of food aid during this year’s famine in Niger.

On Tuesday, a court in the northern town of Agadez convicted Abdoulaye Harouna, publication director of the monthly Echos Express, of defaming the local governor, Yahaya Yendaka. The court sentenced him to four months in jail and fined him 520,000 CFA francs (US$950).

Harouna told CPJ that Yendaka filed a defamation suit against him after an article accused the governor of corruption in the distribution of aid in the Agadez region. Harouna remained free because no arrest warrant was immediately issued. He said he planned to appeal.

Harouna faces prosecution on another count of defaming Yendaka following an August article in Echos Express, which described a campaign of harassment and intimidation by local authorities against journalists who report on sensitive topics, including food aid distribution. The case has not yet been brought to trial.

A second Agadez-based journalist, Hamed Assaleh Raliou, faces at least two charges of defaming Yendaka in June and July, according to local sources. One charge stems from a report filed by Raliou for Radio France Internationale, which alleged that the governor had distributed food aid to military and administrative officials instead of the needy. The second charge stems from a talk show Raliou hosted on the Agadez-based independent station Sahara FM. In the show, local journalists, a union leader, and a teacher criticized the governor for unfairly distributing aid.

"CPJ condemns the jail sentence given to Abdoulaye Harouna, and is alarmed by the series of cases being brought against journalists in Agadez for their reporting on the relief effort," said Ann Cooper, executive director of CPJ. "Authorities in Niger must ensure that journalists are able to report and comment on this and other issues of public concern without fear of reprisal."

-0-

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8.32 Article 257

GET WISDOM!

by Galandou Gorre-Ndiaye

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." (James 3:17)

James, the brother of Jesus, makes a clear distinction between wisdom that is heavenly and wisdom that is "earthly, unspiritual and of the devil." Our Lord Jesus illustrates this distinction in the parable known to us as the rich fool.

This man had a good harvest and all he could think of was to build bigger stores to stock his crops in. He did not think of giving thanks to God, of sharing with the poor or giving a tithe - (a tenth of what God had blessed him with). He said to himself; "This is what I’ll do. I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I’ll say to myself. You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." (Luke 12:18-19) Self-praise and selfishness are traits one must not seek to cultivate. The Bible teaches that we must honour God with our increase. The ‘rich fool’ earned himself the title because he was not wise. He did not give glory where it was due. "…though your riches increase, do not set your eyes on them." (Psalm 62:10)

He failed to realise that the life he lived was not his own. This life we live is transitory. We are here today and gone tomorrow. It is not in material things that we should boast. After accumulating all this wealth, the rich fool was not going to live another day. "God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" (Luke 12:20) Have you been amassing wealth only to leave it behind for someone else to enjoy? Think again and be wise!

We are wise when we are vigilant and are on the alert. Our Lord Jesus admonishes that we do not know the day or the hour when He will be coming back. He will return when we least expect him. This was the case with the ten virgins; five of whom did not have enough oil in their lamps to welcome the bridegroom. When he arrived at midnight, the five wise virgins who did not store oil in cans could not go in with the bridegroom when he showed up.

The one who keeps watch will not to be taken by surprise. Our Lord Jesus calls on us to be like the wise servant. "Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like the men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open for him. This is the attitude to adopt. The scout is asked to be ready and be prepared; the Christian in addition to that is required to be watchful.

"It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night." Here the Master, Jesus, was talking about Himself. We must be prepared for His return. It will not be announced and there will be only signs to guide us, but the exact day is unknown. We must be ready, because "the Son of man will come at an hour when you do not expect him" (Luke 12:40)

Mark you, the call is not to ward off imminent danger. Oh, no! We want to make sure we do not miss the boat and that when the Lord comes to take His church with Him, we will be counted amongst those who will ascend with Him. May God impart some of His wisdom to us so that we may walk in the light of His countenance and have our eyes focused on tomorrow and where we will spend eternity.

We have been amply warned so as not to be taken unawares. We must do our utmost not to be caught napping. Some will say that the master has taken a long time in coming and therefore there is no need to worry or hurry. Well, it will be foolishness to give up now.

The parables Jesus taught His disciples are fraught with words of wisdom. Times there were He had to explain the parable further. Wisdom, Jesus said, is when a man discovers treasure hidden in a field and he hides it. Then he goes and sells all that he possesses and returns to purchase the field - of course with the treasure in it. (Matthew 13:44) Or it is like a merchant who is looking for a pearl of great value. When he finds one, he sells all of his possessions only to buy it.

Wisdom, continues the Master, is when your enemy plants weeds in your wheat field at night to compromise your harvest. What do you do? He says we should not worry about weeding them out just yet. Wait until the harvest, then take out the weeds first and burn them. (Matthew 13:24-30) That is wisdom needed to enter the kingdom of God.

We are advised to be smart like the world without necessarily using similar methods. If the people of this world can be smart how about us? Jesus describes the wisdom of the world in these terms. A manager of a rich man was being given the sack. What do you think he did? He went around all those who were owing his boss money to ascertain the amounts owing. Then he reduced the sum by half by asking them to settle only half of their debts. By so doing, the shrewd manager was preparing for the period when he would be out of work. These people will be indebted to him for the favour rendered and his livelihood would be secured even though he was out of a job. (Luke 16:1-9) "For the people of this world are more shrewd in their dealing with their own kind than are the people of light." (v.8)

-0-

U-17 Receive Heroes’ Welcome

by Namory Trawally

Gambian fans took to the streets en masse Thursday night to give heroes welcome to their team that returned home.

The Gambia U-17 team was cheered to the core despite being eliminated from the World Cup held in Peru. Several hours before the arrival of the team, thousands of wild soccer fans dressed in national colours stormed Yundum International Airport. With drumming, clapping and yapping, fans turned the airport into an entertainment center. So far, Gambian airport has never received such a huge crowd in history.

Landed at the airport exactly 6 pm, the team first received heroes’ welcome from sports officials from both the government and Gambia Football Association. The large crowd stunned GFA Vice President, Seedy Kinteh who led the Gambian team in their first-ever international assignment.

The team was set to move but the young footballers were amazed to see fans lined up right at the corridors of the airport to the Independence Stadium in Bakau. On board a mini-van, the team had been cheered throughout, as people waved and shouted their names. Despite the presence of heavy security, fans could not be stopped from going wild, for they were anxious to set eyes on their heroes who humiliated Brazil and Qatar on September 17th and 20th. Throughout the long journey, fans were not tired of conveying their team.

The Gambia U-17 team has done what has never been achieved in the country’s 53-year soccer history – clinching the African championship trophy, qualified to the world cup and recorded impressive performances. The team were beaten by 2-0 The Netherlands, thus ending their world cup assignment.

What Went Wrong?

Elimination of the Gambia’s U-17 team from the world cup competition last Friday has gripped the entire nation with shock.

The team’s failure to sting Netherlands is still a mystery for Gambians at home and abroad who had earlier filled the streets to jubilate their team’s victories against Brazil and Qatar, collecting six points in a group of death.

On the eve of the crucial game against Netherlands, nobody thought the match would have ended in such a tragedy.

Ten days after this match was played, Gambians could not have find answers to the team’s poor performance in their last match, which they thought would have been a walkover. Some people attributed the defeat to technical problems. Fans blamed Coach Fred Osam Duodu for fielding a weak team to battle it out with goal-hungry Netherlanders.

In the absence of Ebrima Sohna and Sarja Leigh, Coach Duodu was faulted for benching Tijan Jaiteh. The same formation lost to Ghana by a lone goal in the African U-17 championship. The coach was also lambasted for starting the golden twins – Sana and Sainey Nyassi.

The former national team coach, Alagie Sillah who is the head coach for Gamtel, also joined the debated. He too attributed the defeat to technical lapses.

In a telephone interview in Lima, Coach Sillah said Tijan should not have been left out in the Netherland match. He asked why the Young Scorpions line up was played with a single midfielder because the suspension of Sohna and Leigh the team had been down by 25%. The exclusion of Tijan Jaiteh from the starting line up was another 25% lost to the team.

He also asked why Coach Duodu did not bring Pa Modou Jagne, Omar Mbye and Edi Faye Sonko.

A veteran player, Mass Axi Gai blamed the technical committee chairman for not confronting Coach Duodu to do what was necessary. He criticised the head coach for changing a winning team in a competition they were yet to qualify. Mr. Gai called on the Gambia football association to set up an enquiry committee to investigate the hysterical elimination of The Gambia.

GFA Scouts for Young Talents

The Gambia Football Association (GFA) is organizing a nationwide football jamboree purposely to scout young talents for their new football academy at the National Technical Training Center in Old Yundum.

The main objective of the jamboree is to select interns aged 12 – 15 years for the academy. According to officials, the programme would be organised in two phases. Those in the Greater Banjul Area will have their programme from October 15 – 22 while provinces from October 29-30 this year.

In collaboration with GFA regional coaches, divisional sports committees have been advised to select players for the programme.

Football officials urged interested

teams and academies to provide birth certificates of their players otherwise their participation would not be guaranteed. They also ruled out the participation of players over the age of 15.

"We are set to develop football in the country but we need the support of people," GFA Secretary General, Jammeh Bojang said.

-0-

AFFIA Claims Kuloro Trophy

By Alieu Darboe

AFFIA FC claimed the 2005 Kuloro nawettan trophy after beating One Tribe Movement (OTM) at a recent final in the village.

AFFIA beat OTM 3-1 in a well-contested match. The team opened scoring in the 20th minute and continued to pile pressures on their opponents. They however lost several clear chances, mainly because they found it hard to further penetrate the watchful defense of OTM.

The match took a different turn during the second half when OMT changed their style of football but they could not convert several golden opportunities into a reality. But AFFIA came back to the game and scored their second goal in the 60th minute.

It seemed conceiving two goals did not threaten OTM that toiled hard and reduce the scores in the 67th minute.

With ten minutes before the game sealed, AFFIA scored their third goal. The game ended 3-1 in favour of AFFIA.

AFFIA were awarded a trophy and cash prize of D1, 200 while OMT were consoled with D1, 000. Sateba’s Karamba Dampha who emerged as the leading goal merchant was awarded D100.

-0-

How By-elections Fare

By Sana Camara

Three of the four embattled opposition parliamentarians whose seats were declared vacant by the Supreme Court following their allegiance to a coalition of opposition parties (National Alliance for Democracy and Development) have made what observers described as ‘a clean comeback’.

Halifa Sallah, Sedia Jatta and Kemesseng Jammeh have all become victors against their opposing contenders in the crucial by-elections. However, Hamat Bah controversially lost to Sainey Mbye in Upper Saloum. Sainey pulled 2, 946 votes while Hamat secured 2, 454.

A communiqué’ from Electoral Commission said the returning officers and counting agents endorsed the election results in their respective constituencies. However, reports stated that Mr. Bah, who is said to have flown to Dakar, refused to endorse the results, sending speculations in town that he is trying to contest the conduct of polls at the courts. "Hamat was not present at the counting centre. Instead he was holding meeting at his village trying to ponder over his next move," said a source.

The NADD candidate for Serrekunda Central, Halifa Sallah proved his supremacy over the APRC’s Lai Sanyang, defeating him with a margin of 1, 927 votes. Mr Sallah scored 5, 911 votes while Lai scored 3, 984 votes.

In Jarra West, Kemesseng Jammeh of NADD scored 3, 444 votes while Musa Saidykhan of APRC scored 2, 974, leaving a margin of 492 votes.

Sedia Jatta increased his margin in Wuli West from 400 to 700. Jatta scored 3, 430 votes while Jawneh 2, 659 got votes.

Meanwhile, the Upper Saloum results came as a surprise to many people who could not believe the story. But this does not surprise political analysts who have been cataloguing electoral malpractices, which started long before the contest began. Opposition supporters became victims of security abuse. This was in the form of arrest, detention and sackings of village heads.

-0-

Over 500 Bird Species In The Gambia

By Lamin Njie

The Gambia government has officially stated that 547 species of birds are currently in the country.

According to Mass Cham, though the official figure stands at 547, he has personally seen about 585 different species.

In an interview at his office at Senegambia Beach Hotel, Mr. Cham who has been in the bird watching industry for almost thirty years, said he inherited the business from his father.

Asked where most of the species are found, Cham said, "Species have different habitats - gardens, hotels, woodland areas, farmlands and some bushy areas. The most common areas are mangroves and swampy areas as well as riverbanks of coastal areas," he said. Asked what benefits he has achieved from bird watching in the last 30 years, Mr Cham said, "Watching the way birds grow and live is quite interesting to someone who knows them. Most importantly, the experience one gains in bird watching is worthy."

Lamenting on their constraints, Mr Cham said the lost of habitats and the endangering of birds’ life is disheartening. "It is quite frustrating for one to see a large group of people trying to kill just one bird."

Mr. Cham dispelled the widely believed notion that owls are generally witches and wizards. "I don’t believe in that because owls are mere birds that are good at rats because they feed on them," he said, urging people to allow owls to survive instead of pestering them.

Mr Cham expressed disgust about the present nature of Abuko Nature Reserve, which according to him, used to be the home to many species. "The situation there today becomes a different story simply because of negligence," he added, commending the creation of Makasutu Forest , which improved the situation.

He said bird watching would soon bring foreign exchange into the country. "Some bird watchers from UK and Spain are currently planning to visit The Gambia." Mr. Cham therefore called on the government and stakeholders in tourism sector to support the local bird watchers.

-0-

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤