Hydara Family Speaks

 By Lamin M. Fatty

 The wife of the assassinated Gambian journalist has asked Gambian journalists to emulate her late husband who had been a firm believer and campaigner of press freedom and expression, democracy and justice.

The leading Gambian editor was shot three times by unknown assailants on December 16th last year at the wheel of his car. The killing coincided with the 13th anniversary of his paper.

Speaking to our reporter on the eve of an international conference marking the one year anniversary of Deyda Hydara’s killing, Mrs. Mariam Hydara urged Gambian journalists to keep up the momentum because Allah will surely guide and protect them while executing their work.

After one year of his killing, she said, the entire Hydara family is still mourning Deyda. She said the family rested hopes on Allah and would hold a whole day’s charity, which will be characterized by recitation of the Holy Quran at their family compound.

"Deyda is a man worthy of emulation because he has campaigned for press freedom and expression not only in The Gambia but also in the whole civilized world. We don’t know who killed him but Allah knows. Whatever one does will follow him either in this world or the hereafter," she said.

"I have nothing much to say. I am very much grateful to the entire media fraternity in The Gambia, particularly The Independent Newspaper. I would never open a newspaper without seeing something on Deyda. This has kept us going on," she said, thanking GPU members for their support and solidarity. Mrs. Hydara also saluted all those who made the one-year anniversary a success, especially Action Aid The Gambia. "Deyda deserved to be recognized because he strives hard to ensure freedom of press and speech is guaranteed. He believes in democracy and justice. The family is grateful to everyone in the wider world who keeps on repeating Deyda’s good works," she said.

In between sobs, the foster daughter of Deyda, Nelly Touray said, "Since I was one year old, I had been under the care of Deyda. He has done everything a child needed from a father," she said, repeating her mother’s somber statements.

-0-

 Sigh Of Relief For NADD

By Lamin M Fatty

After a wrangling defence, the three executive members of National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD) at last reunited with their family and love ones after Justice A.K. Savage of the Court of Appeal granted them bail on Tuesday.

The trio – Hon. Halifa Sallah, Omar Jallow and Hamat Bah were each granted bail in the sum of two hundred thousand Dalasis with Gambian sureties.

The presiding judge ruled in favour of the defence lawyers that the charges against three opposition leaders are bailable. Justice Savage admitted that the three are all responsible Gambian personalities who reside in the country. He quoted Section 25 of the Constitution and Evidence Act to justify granting bail to the accused persons.

Confident-looking Hon. Halifa Sallah, who defended himself, told the court that he would neither interfere with the ongoing investigations into their case, nor jump bail.

In a sworn affidavit, Hon. Sallah said, "I am a Gambian and leading political figure. I have a constituency to represent, and also a member of the Pan African Parliament I was the rappateur for the delegation sent to examine the Darfur crises by the African Parliament and I have to submit the report. It is in the public interest that I am release so that I can do the job being entrusted on me."

At press time, the three were billed to appear before Justice Savage who took over from Justice MA Paul, for he was asked to excuse himself from presiding over the case.

A team of lawyers – Antouman Gaye, Ousainou Darboe, Mai Fatty and Awa Sisay-Sabally represented Omar Jallow and Hamat Bah.

-0-

 RSF Rep Refused Gambian Visa

Officials of Reporters Without Borders (RSF) have sharply reacted to what they called obstructive Gambian officials attempt to prevent their representative to attend the first anniversary conference marking the death of Deyda Hydara.

The head of RSF Africa Desk, Leonard Vincent was refused visa to attend the conference being organised by Gambia Press Union on December 15 and 16 at Kairaba Beach Hotel.

"The Gambian government’s ill-will made it impossible for us to be with Hydara’s family to mark the end of a year of mourning," RSF officials said. "We deeply regret being unable to go to Banjul to express our solidarity with The Gambia’s independent press, which has suffered so much in recent years, but we reaffirm to the family our commitment to see justice done."

Because Gambian authorities have failed to issue his visa on time, Leonard was unable to depart France Tuesday morning for Banjul. "The visa request, accompanied by copies of the airline tickets, a letter of invitation by the GPU and RSF letter authorizing the trip, was handed in to the Gambian embassy in Paris on November 24. Visas are supposed to take 48 hours to issue. An embassy official said the visa would be ready on November 28."

RSF officials added, "Despite Reporters Without Borders’ daily calls to the embassy, no explanation has ever been given for the delay. The Gambian foreign ministry did finally tell Reporters Without Borders that the GPU’s letter of invitation was not valid because it was not addressed to the head of the Africa desk by name. GPU president Madi Ceesay immediately sent a new letter to the ministry while Reporters Without Borders sent a copy to the embassy in Paris.

The Gambian foreign ministry finally gave the green light to its embassy in Paris at 6:30 p.m. Monday (Paris time), but by then, the consular section was already closed, so it was too late to issue the visa to the Reporters Without Borders representative in time for him to board his flight for Banjul via Dakar at 9 a.m. Tuesday. In view of this behaviour by the Gambian authorities, Reporters Without Borders has decided not to go to Banjul."

-0-

 Sinking Signal For APRC Branch

Pa Musa Taal, Deputy Youth Leader of the ruling APRC has admitted a "sinking signal" for his party’s Banjul branch.

In an interview with The Gambia Journal at his Banjul residence, Taal described the meeting as the poorest meeting in the history of AFPRC/APRC in Banjul. "I see that the APRC is losing grip in Banjul because the attendance of the meeting was very poor and people and members of the party came out in a very small number," he frankly stated. Taal said the meeting the government officials who attended the said meeting came one by one. "To be truthful, it was not well attended."

Asked whether the poor attendance had anything to do with the suspension of Mayor Pa Sallah Jeng, Taal said APRC has no political direction for the country but to keep sacking, suspending, arresting and detaining people without any reason. With the suspension of the mayor couple with other developments within the Banjul branch, he said, APRC is now disunited.

Taal said the arrest and detention of NADD leaders was the worst wrong move being taken by the President because these are internationally well-known figures. He said it has even made things worse for the APRC in Banjul, noting that people on the ground understand and realize what the government is doing to the people of the country. Mr. Taal said the suspension of Mayor Jeng and clampdown on opposition leaders are politically motivated, unconstitutional and undemocratic.

-0-

Lawyers Clash In Court

 By Buya Jammeh

Controversy sparked off at the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court when a court witness flatly refused to swear to the holy Quran, complaining of having natural illness.

Pa Babou William’s refusal to hold the Quran, let alone swear to it stimulated a bitter argument between lawyers in court.

Lawyer Borry Touray who defended Karafa Jawneh and Lamin Nyanado argued that since the said witness is a court officer, he should perform dry ablution and swear to the Quran and testify. Lawyer Touray said it is not proper for a witness to affirm in such a sensitive case.

However, Lawyer Lamin Mboge who represented the plaintiff, Karamba Kijera said there is nothing with affirming in a criminal case, especially if the witness has natural illness. He said since the defense counsel insisted that the witness should swear to the Quran, then the case needs to be adjourned.

But Lawyer Touray perceived the adjournment request as a delaying tactics and therefore asked the plaintiff to pay D1, 000 as cost.

Magistrate Amina Saho adjourned the case for further hearing.

The plaintiff and defendants were involved in a land dispute.

-0-

US Envoy Addresses New Peace Corps Volunteers

 By Pa Modou Secka

The United States Ambassador to The Gambia, Joseph D. Stafford has described Peace Corps as an important symbol and tangible evidence of American values in countries where volunteers are serving.

He said Peace Corps activities that are supported by the American taxpayers is one of the longest standing development organisations between the US government and countries where volunteers serve.

Ambassador Stafford was addressing a swearing-in-ceemony ceremony of 17 Peace Corps volunteers at his Fajara residence. He said the success of the organisation can be counted in many different ways, "but the relationship, building, and putting a face on America is exactly what the Peace Corps is about and what our greatest legacy will be."

He said the organisation is United State’s ability to inspire and persuade, rather than coerce. The Permanent Secretary at State Department for Forestry and Environment, Kotu Cham, said The Gambia’s natural resources is mainly centred on the wild flora and fauna in form of the forests, the marine and reverine systems and ground water resources.

"Vision 2020 and the Gambia Environment Action Plan (GEAP), the main basis for our actions within the natural resources and environment sectors have called for the optimum utilization of these resources," he said.

The Peace Corps Country Director, Dr. Diana Sloane said Peace Corps is dedicated to promoting world peace and friendly environment. She said it allow Americans to work with people of the host country. "Peace Corps volunteers can be very successful in promoting development without leaving behind a single thing that one could take a picture of or point out to a visitor," she said.

The newly-sworn volunteers graduated with Bachelor Degree in sociology, social works, anthropology, humanities, liberal studies, history, journalism, corporate communications, fine arts, business administration, physics and agricultural biochemistry.

-0-

 "Unite And Assume Leadership Roles"

 By Pa Modou Secka

The Executive Director of the African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS), Hannah Forster has urged women to unite and assume leadership roles, which would push the men to be responsible enough to support them.

Mrs. Forster was addressing the launching ceremony of the 2006 Almanac of Sierra Leonian Women’s Association at Father Farrel Memorial Hall at Kanifing.

The human rights director expressed excitement about the objectives of the association and the role it is playing towards community development. For the attainment of their wonder ful objectives to thrive, she suggested, the association members must unite and work together.

The President of the association, Mrs. Christiana Camara said her association is non-political and independent one whose main aim is to provide room for development of women to thrive speedily in the society. "The association was formed to solve the social and economical issues of the Sierra Leonean women in The Gambia," she said, adding that since inception, the association has better the lives of Sierra Leoneans in The Gambia. "It is our aim to foster good relations with Gambian women.

A lecturer at the University of Gambia, Juliet Lawson said since women play positive role in socio-economic development of thecountry, the association would therefore boast the morale of women to the higherheight. Compared to the past, she added, women of today have claimed prominence in all levels of developments or sectors - education, commerce and industry.

-0-

Man Charged With Stealing

 By Awa Jobarteh

One Sheikh Tijan Loum was recently arraigned before Magistrate Amina Saho of Kanifing Magistrates’ Court charged with stealing the properties of a London Corner resident tailor, Alagie Gaye.

In his testimony, the plaintiff told the court that he had found the padlock of his shop broken in early November morning. "The padlock was on the ground and when I went inside, I realised that some materials were missing. I immediately reported the matter to Serrekunda police. They took my statement and one of the CID officers and a police man joined me to inspect the shop," he narrated.

Mr. Gaye said days later, the officers called him and told him that they had caught someone with some materials in his possession. "I identified the materials as mine," he said.

Gaye estimated the value of the stolen at 26, 200.

The accused Sheikh Tijan Loum pleaded not guilty to the charge brought against him. He was bailed in the sume of D10, 000 with two Gambian sureties. The case was then adjourned for later hearing.

-0-

 Taf To Be Transformed

 By Namory Trawally

The leading building construction and materials supplier in The Gambia, Taf Holding Company Limited, is laying the foundation to transform the company from private ownership to a public corporate company.

According to the General Manager of Taf Holding, Momodou Senghore, the transformation is the first of its kind in The Gambia’s history. Speaking at the certification ceremony of 17 senior and middle managers of the company at the Paradise Suites Hotel, Mr. Senghore said his company organised a six-month tramsformational training and retreat mainly to prepare its staff for the transformation. He said the past six months were a milestone in the history of Taf Holding. He commended Emani Consultancy Company for its successful conduct of the training.

Mr. Senghore advised course participants to take charge of thier rightful positions in the new Taf Holding Company. "The company is changing with a new environment and I urge you to take ownership," he said.

The President of the Gambia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Abdoulie Touray, who is the guest speaker of the occasion, described the transformation of Taf Holding to a public corporation as a milestone in the development of industry in The Gambia. Mr. Touray said the majority of Gambian companies are privately-owned which is why they give less commitment to employees, who also only care for their salaries at the end of the month.

Dominic Mendy of Emani Consultancy firm said his institution took the institutional transformational training and strategy retreat of Taf Holding as a big challenge.

He said the programme was drawn to meet the challenges of NEPAD, ECOWAS, amongst others.

-0-

Editorial: Remembering A Hero

It is exactly one year since a leading newspaper editor in The Gambia was shot dead by enemies of truth, freedom, democracy and justice.

The incident marked one of the most unfortunate and shocking events of our country’s history. With all the hues and cries by press watchdogs and all justice-hungry people in all corners of the world, it is sad that the killers of this highly-respected, ethical and professional journalist, freedom fighter, mentor and firm believer of truth and justice are yet to be tracked down, let alone face justice.

We have always believed that the killers and their collaborators could only succeed in ending the precious life of Deyda but not his name. It is so painful for a country, family and professional colleagues to lose worthy sons in such gruesome manner. However, most people have become relieved when they keep setting eyes on effigies of such people. Like all martyrs, Papa Journalist has enjoyed eternal crowning.

The launching of a fitting memorial foundation and today’s international conference in Deyda’s honour are clear testimonies that valiants continue to live forever. Valiant like Malcom X, Martin Luther King, Kwame Krummah, Ahmed Sekou Toure, etc will continue to live with generations to come. They are not like snipers who used the cover of the night to kill innocent souls. Such people always die in shame, betrayal, anger and mystery.

As we immortalise Papa Deyda’s one year killing, we should all join hands to shame and condemn people behind such barbaric, cowardly and dastardly acts, which stain our democratic and international credentials.

One year after the gruesome killing, it is disturbing to know that justice is still hanging in the balance, with police and intelligence agency registering their inability to unearth who must have done the act and for what purposes. As if they have got clues about the killing, some security officers grow horns any time the issue gets international condemnation or coverage. For our government to exonerate itself from blame, we had expected it to open Coroner’s Inquest into the killing or invite international investigators to the country. But either of this was endorsed, which added suspicion among Gambians.

Most people believe that the trigger-happy gunmen assassinated Hydara mainly because they wanted to teach Gambian journalists an unforgettable lesson. For that goal to be realised, unshakeable and professionals like Papa Deyda whose entire life had been to defend truth and justice, was killed perhaps to signal cowards that the real crackdown journey on stubborn private media had began. The killing came in the wake of arson attacks on journalists and their institutions and dead threats.

We want to assure all those whose hearts were pierced by the killing, especially his family and professional colleagues to take courage because truth will sooner or later prevail. We commend the local press union, civil society organisations and generous donors of the high profile conference and foundation for their solidarity.

May the soul of Papa Deyda continue to get eternal bliss. Amen.

-0-

Hajj Journey

After Returning Home

by Ahmed B Saidykhan

After pilgrims properly finish all the prescribed rites while cloaking themselves with the best of all manners, committing themselves to the Sunnah of the Prophet, and devoting all their movements and even their silence to Allah alone, they still have some things to observe after returning to family and property.

This makes their hajj a never-ending ritual, even if they never perform it again in their life. During hajj, the pilgrims have attained a great dose of taqwa (piety), and hence, after their return they should be in constant fear of Allah and His mighty status. They should observe all their moves in order not to violate any of the rules set by Allah to guide humanity to the right path.

Throughout hajj, the pilgrims should have realized the reality of tawheed (oneness of Allah). Thus after their return they should sincerely invoke none but Allah as well as seek refuge from Him alone. They should ask everything from Allah, dedicate vows only to Him and recognise that legislation is the right of Allah alone.

On the contrary, if pilgrims return with any sort of or distortion in their creed, they have learnt nothing from that magnificent journey.

It is the responsibility of each and every pilgrim to observe the moral code observed during hajj. If anyone was reluctant to abide by the best of all manners, he/she should after return be more committed and constant in observing the moral system of Islam, which is a unique and distinguished one.

At the end, there is one remaining question: What is the value of an accepted hajj – hajjul mabrur?

To answer this question, let’s recall only three Prophetic hadiths.

Abu Hurayrah narrated: Allah’s

Messenger was asked, "‘what is the best deed?" He replied, "To believe in Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad)." The questioner then asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, "To participate in jihad in Allah’s cause."

The questioner again asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, "To perform hajj mabrur" (Al-Bukhari).

Abu Hurayrah narrated: Allah’s Messenger said, "Whoever performs hajj to this House (Ka`bah) and does not approach his wife for sexual relations nor commits sins (while performing hajj), he will come out as sinless as a newborn child" (Al-Bukhari).

‘A’ishah narrated that she said, "O Allah’s Messenger! We consider jihad as the best deed. Should we not fight in Allah’s cause?" He said, "The best jihad (for women) is hajj mabrur" (Al-Bukhari).

I do not think I need to add anything to this. What can anyone say after the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) says and teaches?

But what does all this mean? It means that pilgrims must spare no effort in adhering to these criteria and observances in order to render their hajj valid and acceptable by Allah. If these criteria were not met while they are performing the rituals, their hajj will be nothing more than one similar to the pilgrimage the polytheists used to perform in pre-Islamic times and it will bear no fruits whatsoever.

Would anyone like to go on hajj - with all the difficulty and tremendous expenses of the journey - and come back empty-handed, without any reward from Allah? I doubt it.

-0-

 RSF Launches Journalism Murder Campaign

Reporters Without Borders today launched an ad campaign in some 60 African newspapers to draw attention to the many murders of journalists in Africa that go unpunished.

The launch comes on the seventh anniversary of Norbert Zongo’s murder in Burkina Faso and a few days before the first anniversary of Deyda Hydara’s murder in The Gambia.

Produced in French and English, the advertisement is being distributed by Presse et Démocratie, a press freedom network created in 2000 in the French-speaking countries of Africa by media and journalism watchdogs, journalists’ associations and news media. "In some African countries, if you kill an elephant you may go to prison. If you kill a journalist, you might not," the Ad message stated. It also stressed that the killers of Zongo in 1998 in Burkina Faso and Hydara last year in The Gambia are still at large.

There are strong grounds for suspecting persons close to the government in both murders. But witnesses who could expose Zongo’s killers are refusing to talk, while the official police investigation into Hydara’s death has limited itself to considering absurd theories, which have produced no results.

Zongo was the editor of an independent weekly, L’Indépendant. His badly-burnt body was found inside the wreck of his car on 13 December 1998. Prior to his murder, he had been investigating the circumstances of the death of David Ouédraogo, the personal driver of François Compaoré, President Blaise Compaoré’s brother. Ouédraogo was tortured to death by members of Presidential Security Regiment.

Hydara was the co-editor of The Point and Banjul correspondent for Agence France-Presse (AFP) and Reporters Without Borders. He was shot dead at the wheel of his car on the night of 16 December 2004 after receiving death threats from the intelligence services, which had him under physical surveillance just a few minutes before he was shot.

-0-

No Development Without Peace

GPU President Says

 By Awa Jobarteh

 "Without peace, no meaningful development of any nature would take place."

These were the words of Mr. Madi Ceesay, President of Gambia Press Union at a recent workshop organised by Alliance for Democracy in Africa (ADA) at Senegambia Beach Hotel.

Presenting a paper on the role of the media in conflict, peace building and maintenance, Mr. Ceesay said the media’s role is universal and fitting in all situations. "Although we have to accept some faults, but generally media has been playing vital role in every society," he said. "Journalist can foster and make peace happen. On the other hand, they are also capable of creating an inflammatory environment which can bring chaos or war," Ceesay noted, citing the case of Rwanda where media fanned a war that claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands.

"Irresponsible journalism caused this killing described as genocide. This kind of journalism is very unfortunate and the media fraternity is standing up to see that such happenings are not repeated," he said, believing that the challenge now is to put the media in its rightful place in the make up of the society.

-0-

Water Crises: A Global Issue

JAMES EDONZIE (freelance journalist)

 War over water will mark this century; the pessi-mists would have us believe. Some argues that the reality is more complex, and that, whilst efforts at achieving international co-operation over water management is gathering pace, our chief concern should be small, localized conflicts, which affect the poor.

At midday every Thursday for past thousand years, a unique tribunal has sat in the Spanish City of Valencia. Its job is to resolve disputes over water. Local farmers in the fertile Valencia plain depend on irrigation requires lots of water, which has always been in short supply in this part of Spain. The farmers can appeal to the water tribunal whenever they think they are not getting their fair share of water.

Disputes over water are nothing new, but they are rarely resolved so equitably as in Valencia. Several thousand years ago, a violent dispute erupted among shepherds about access to well water near Beer-Sheba in the Middle East. Water problems in the Middle East have become much worse since then. At least two prominent leaders in the region have said that water is the one issue that could lead them to declare war on a neighbouring State.

In the semiarid countries of the world, water has always aroused strong feelings. The reason is simple: water is vital to 1ife. As Kofi Annan pointed out, "fresh water is, precious: we cannot live without it. It is irreplaceable: there are no substitutes for it. And it is sensitive: human activity has a profound impact on the quantity and quality of fresh water available."

Access to a secure, safe and sufficient source of fresh water is a fundamental requirement for the survival, well being and socio-economic development of all humanity .Yet, we continue to act as if fresh water were a perpetually abundant resource. Today as never before, both the quantity and quality of our planet’s fresh water are under threat. We should not be misled by the apparently abundant supply in some fortunate parts of the world.

One of the contradictions in human nature is that we value things only when they are scarce. We only appreciate the water once the well runs dry. And the wells are running dry not just in the drought-prone areas not traditionally associated with water scarcity. Those who face water scarcity every day understand the problem only too well. In some parts of the world, the demand for fresh, clean water has already begun to outstrip the supply. The reason is simple, a large number of people live in arid or semiarid regions, and where water has long been scarce. According to Stockholm Environmental Institute, a third of the world’s population already live in areas that suffer moderate to severe "water shortage. And demand for water has risen at more than twice the rate of the population increase.

The water supply, on the other hand, is basically fixed. Deeper wells and new reservoirs may temporary relief, but the amount of rain that falls on the earth and the amount of water store under the groun4d essentially remains the same Therefore, meteorologist all over the world, after an in-depth intensive research calculate that within 25 years, the quantity of water available to each person on earth may be cut in half.

Now someone may want to know how water scarcity affects people. First of all it affect their health. It is not that they will die first, rather, the poor quality of the water available for cooking and drinking make them ill. United Nations estimate that about 80 percent of all diseases and more than one-third of all death in developing countries are cause by contaminated water. In the semiarid countries of the developing world, water supplies are frequently polluted by human or animal wastes, pesticide, fertilizers, or industrial chemicals. An impoverished family have little option but to use such tainted water.

Just as our bodies require water to dispose of waste products, abundant water is required for proper sanitation, water that for most people is simply not available. According to a UN report, the number of people without adequate sanitation rose from 2.5 billion 1990 to 2.9 billion in 1997. This is nearly half the population of the world. And sanitation is a matter of life and death. In a joint statement, UN officials Carol Bellamy and Nitin Desai warned: "when children lack water that is fit for drinking and sanitation, virtually every aspect of their health and development is at risk.

Food production is dependent on water. Many crops, of course, are watered by rain, but in recent times irrigation has become the key to feeding the world’s burgeoning population. Today almost half of the world harvest depends on irrigation. But the world’s total irrigated cropland reached a peak more than 20 years ago, and it has been falling steadily since then. If plentiful water gushes out of our tap in our home and if we have a hygienic toilet that conveniently flushes away waste, it may be hard to believe that the world is running out of adequate supply of water. We should remember, however, that only 20 percent of the total world population enjoy such luxuries. In Africa, for instance, many women spend several hours a day fetching water, and frequently it is polluted. These women comprehend much more clearly the harsh reality that clean and safe water is scares and is getting scarcer.

Furthermore, most of the people in the world live where water is not plentiful. Relatively few people, for example, live in the tropical areas of Africa and South America where rainfall is abundant. The great Amazon River disgorges into the Atlantic Ocean 15 percent of the annual global runoff, yet because the population in that area is sparse, very little is needed for human consumption. On the other hand, some 60 million people live in Egypt, where rainfall is minimal, and practically all their water needs must be met by the depleted Nile River. Years ago such disparities in water supplies did not cause serious problems. According to one survey, in 1950 no region in the world suffered from a very low or extremely low water supplies. But those times of plentiful water have changed. In arid regions of North Africa and Central Asia, the amount of water available, per person has dropped to a tenth of what, it was in 1950.

Apart from the population increase and low rainfall in many densely populated areas, demand for water has risen for other reasons. In the world today, progress and prosperity go hand in hand with reliable water supply. Those who live in developed countries have no doubt noticed that factories cluster around important rivers. The reason is simple. Industry needs water to produce practically every thing, from computers to paper clips. Food processing also uses a surprising amount of water. Power stations have an insatiable appetite for water and are located along side lakes or rivers. The need for water in agriculture is even greater. In many places rainfall is either too little or too unreliable to guarantee a good harvest, so irrigation seemed to be the ideal solution for feeding a hungry world. As a result of dependency on irrigated crops, agriculture takes a major part of the world supply of fresh water. In addition, domestic water consumption has grown. During the 1990’s, a staggering 900 million new city dwellers needed decent sanitation and access to safe water. The traditional sources of water, such as rivers and wells, are no longer sufficient for large cities.

Thus, industry, agriculture and urban areas have all been clamouring for water. And many of their demands have been met, for the time being, by drawing on the world’s reserves - ground water. But they are not inexhaustible. Such water deposits are like money in the bank. You can’t keep on withdrawing it if you make few deposits. Sooner or later, the day of reckoning will come.

Groundwater is the water supply we tap into when we sink a well. The United Nations Children’s Fund report calculates that half the water used for domestic purposes and for irrigating crops comes from this source. Since groundwater is usually less polluted than surface water, it also provides much of our drinking water, both in cities and in countryside. If withdrawals were moderate, groundwater supplies would remain constant, since they are regularly renewed by rain that slowly seeps through to these underground reservoirs. But for decades we have been siphoning off much more than the natural water cycle can replace.

The result is that the level of the groundwater gets farther from the surface, and it becomes either uneconomical or impractical to dig deep to reach it. When the well run dry, economic and human disaster results. In India such tragedies have already began to occur. Since the food for a billion people who live in the central plains of China and India depends on water stored underground, the outlook is alarming.

Depletion of groundwater supplies is further aggravated by contami-nation. Agricultural fertilizers, human and animal wastes, and industrial chemicals are all finding their way into the groundwater. "Once an aquifer is cbf1taminated, remedial measures can be long and costly, even impossible," explains a report published by the World Meteoro-logical Organization. The slow penetration of pollutants has been called a ‘chemical time bomb.’ It threatens every one of us.

Despite all these difficulties, the situation would not be so bleak if the world’s precious water supply were used more carefully. Inefficient irrigation methods often squander 60 percent of the water before it reaches the crops. Increase efficiency- using available technology - could reduce industrial water consumption by half. And even urban water use could be cut by 30 percent if broken pipes were fixed quickly.

When next time you are served with a g1ass of clean water, count your self-fortunate, because there are some people who do not’ have access to it.

-0-

GAP’s Perspective On Society’s Responsibility Towards Children

David Thoronka

The consequences of neglecting children on the road to development have far-reaching consequences. It was against this background that Group for African Peace (GAP) became concerned with the welfare of children in society.

The road to economic growth and development cannot be achieved if the rights of the children are not ensured. The current plight of Africa is the gap between the children, parent, government, educational institutions and other stakeholders. Society has to be aware of the fact that every child is their child, irrespective of his/her colour, creed, sex, language political or other opinions. The notion that every child is your child substantiates the need for society to collectively ensure the satisfaction of the rights to basic need, education, health care, tolerance and compensation for their efforts.

The right to basic needs has to do with the society’s obligation to address children’s food, shelter, and clothing needs. Societies must also ensure that the children are healthy because the sound health of children ensures good future of a nation. The protection of children is relevant in promoting future economic growth, particularly in Africa where resources are under-utilised.

Due to weak parental background may children are dying in the world, which is worrying and scaring. It is a lip service to say that health care services are abundantly available in our countries when health care delivery systems continue to deteriorate, with long queues in our health facilities. Countries that fail to address the health care of their countries should understand the dangers being posed by diseases.

It is fundamental right for societies to make education accessible to their children. They must be equipped with knowledge and skills so that they genuinely participate in future economic activities of their countries. With the creation of loan scheme, the educational needs of children with weak parental background can be amicably solved.

It is also obligatory on societies to be receptive and accommodating to their children. Children’s voices must be heard if we want to guarantee a child-friendly environment – an environment that allows children to know what is expected of them. Believe it or take it, but most children have developed unfriendly attitudes mainly because of the unfriendly disposition of their societies.

In a typical democratic environment, parents ask their children to prepare list of their school and other expenses. They even bargain the content of the list before they finally agree.

It is the fervent belief of GAP that if these basic rights of the children were not guaranteed, societies would find it extremely impossible to shape a better future for their children.

Of specific interest or concern to GAP are the children’s right to basic education, health care, good upbringing, etc, which are guaranteed by international conventions. Let’s put children’s interest first and avoid harming, exploiting and them for whatever purposes. Investment on children is surely the most reliable investment.

-0-

 The Independent’s Message Of Sympathy To The Hydara Family

The entire staff and management of The Independent Newspaper join the Gambia Press Union and the world to register their sympathy and solidarity to the Family of the Late Deyda Hydara who was shot dead by enemies of truth, justice, democracy and press freedom and expression.

Papa Deyda was a mentor, father, moral booster, humanist, nationalist, freedom fighter and firm believer of democracy and free press.

It is one year today since you departed this world but your memory shall never be erased from our minds. Like all heroes, valiants and martyrs, you are still living in our midst. Your memory – Deyda Hydara Foundation For Press Freedom And Expression – is very fitting, as this legacy will expose your known and unknown good works in The Gambia, Africa and else where.

We pray and hope that Allah the Almighty will one day expose those bent on separating a father from the family, husband from wife as well as separate colleagues.

May your precious soul rest in perfect peace!

Ameen!

-0-

 Delegates Reject Omar Sey Candidature

By Namory Trawally

As the deadline for the submission of the GFA presidential nomination draws nearer, Independent Sports has learnt that delegates have unanimously rejected the nomination of the Interim President, Alhaji Omar Sey.

Come December 31st this year, GFA delegates are going for a congress, heralding the presidency of Alhaji Omar Sey who assumed the seat without Universal Adult Suffrage.

"Delegates from north bank division, lower river, central river, upper river and western division have all come to a consensus to reject the candidature of Mr. Sey," disclosed a delegate from Basse, Omar T.C. Jawo. "We were disappointed by Mr. Sey’s one year term of office. It’s a complete failure," he said.

He faulted Mr. Sey for selecting only players from the Greater Banjul Area for training at the GFA School of Excellence, which he added, is a clear indication that Sey has no regard for the provincial football development. He added that the school of excellence should have a national character with players selected from Banjul to Basse.

"We need somebody who cares for provincial footballers," he said, revealing that they will make their candidate known to the public tomorrow, when nomination expires.

Some football top brass in KM and Western Division have also rejected the candidature of Mr. Sey.

However, Independent Sports has been tipped that teams in Banjul are the only ones supporting Omar Sey’s candidature.

22 Cross Level II Coaching Course

Out of the 27 coaches who took part in a five-day intensive Level II Coaching Course, 22 have passed the exams with flying colours.

The coaches, who placed themselves on a success beam after a rigorous hard work, went home full of smiles on their faces. The four coach participants who failed the exams were issued certification of attendance. However, a coach who was caught red-handed cheating during the exams went home empty handed, as he was not certificated either.

In his remarks at the close of the course on Wednesday at Friendship Hotel, the Course Director, Fred Osam Duodu described the course as a big success. He registered his satisfaction about the performance of participants and that the course has prepared them to excel to a higher course in future.

Coach Duodu however called on course participants to remain active and put into practice what they have learnt. The President of Gambia Football Association (GFA), Alh. Omar Sey said coaching is one of the main pillars of football development. He said there could not be any meaningful football without coaches. He disclosed GFA’s readiness to appoint a Technical Director who will put in place a good training programme for coaches and referees.

The president of Gambia Football Coaches Association (GFCA), Pa Suwareh Faye said with the course at hand means what they have been dreaming of in the past three years has come true. He said the development of football should be the main preoccupation of coaches.

Mr Faye appealed to trainee coaches to avoid toeing along the line of their colleagues who throw towels after being trained. He said most of the 300 coaches that have been trained unceremoniously left the field.

GKA Holds National Championship

The Gambia Karate Association (GKA) is marking Karate Day in the form of a three-day National Championship, which started on December 16th at the Independence Stadium.

According to GKA Secretary General, Mr. Muhammed Camara the National championship and day celebrations will also be punctuated with a march pass by members of karate clubs countrywide. The event ends up with an exhibition of karate demonstration by young Gambian athletes in various karate disciplines at the Basket Lawn of the Independence Stadium.

Mr. Camara said the event would be used to award certificates of appreciation to sports personalities and institutions that immensely contributed to the development of karate in The Gambia. "Karate masters would also be upgraded for their success in their career," he said, revealing that events were planned to mark the 10th anniversary of the association.

-0-

GTA Coach Returns From Overseas Training

 By Njonji Drammeh

The National Assistant coach of The Gambia Tennis Association (GTA), Phillip Akibogun returned home last week after he had participated the Level II Tennis Coaching Course.

The course, which took place in Nigeria, was organised by International Tennis Federation in collaboration with Olympic Solidarity from Nov 24 to 2 December.

In an interview with Independent Sports, Akibogun described the course coaching as higher the previous ones being conducted in The Gambia. "Level II coaching is a more demanding course, it covers various aspects of tennis ranging from the role and purpose of a coach to various other aspects like technical and tactical aspects of tennis," he said.

He said the course was sub-divided into two sectors – practical and theory. He said 60% of the course was practical. "It also entails the coaches’ playability and testing skills in organizing training. The theory part has to do with studying the advanced coaching."

Wile participants await their results in six or eight weeks time, each was awarded attendance certificate. Akibogun summed the course as very fruitful, emphasizing that more people should be encouraged to do it, as many Africans don’t have the Level II Tennis Certificate.

-0-

 New GM For Yiriwa FM

A bi-lingual journalist, Pa Modou Bojang has been appointed the General Manager of Yiriwa Development Radio Station. Mr. Bojang’s appointment was effective on December 1st.

Transmitted on 104. 7 MHz on FM band in Brikama, Yiriwa that started transmission some months back in Brikama, enjoys a nation-wide coverage.

Reacting to the appointment, Mr. Bojang said, "I think the appointment is a greatest challenge I am faced with. But I am determined to surmount any obstacle along the way. I must thank people who had supported me during my heydays in journalism," he said, promising to collaborate with sister radio stations to promote and accelerate development in the country.

"Though private and commercial, Yiriwa is poised to work closely with development partners. My team is destined to promote national development through the use of airwaves."

Bojang boasts of having a radio that covers the whole country and beyond. "During our programmes, we receive calls from all over the country and even Senegal,’ he said.

Before his appointment as General Manager, Mr. Bojang who is fluent in both English and French serves as producer, presenter, sales and marketing officers of Yiriwa FM.

In the past months, Yiriwa has launched many development-driven programmes. These include Development or The Way Forward, Back to Land, Your Environment, Education Forum, among others.

Born in Brikama Suma Kunda, Pa Modou Bojang began journalism career in 1998 at the Daily Observer as a regional correspondent based in the troubled Southern Senegalese province of Cassamance. Bojang also traded a career in Brikama Community Radio Station, The Point, The Independent, among others. He was the press relations officer of Muslim Hands Gambia until his appointment.

Schooled in Senegalese High School in Banjul and Alliance Franco-Gambienne, Mr. Bojang bagged certificates in French Language and modern literature.

-0-

 Ex-Vice Chairman Testifies In NIA Case

 By Dawda Faye

 The deposed Vice Chairman of Kanifing Municipal Council, Buba Senghore has testified in the ongoing diamond scandal involving six former NIA officers.

The officers, Lamin Drammeh, Basiru Jabang, Kajali Jawara, Lamin Sanneh, Fabakary Barrow and Salmina Drammeh, faced charges of theft, criminal trespass and abuse of office.

In his testimony, Mr. Senghore told the court that his friend, Alasan informed him on June 23rd 2003 that his sister (Adama) had a problem. Mr. Senghore said Adama was accompanied by two Germans to Sierra Leone to buy diamonds with the promise that they were going to pay her $2, 000 Dollars. He said the Germans however refused to honour their promise.

Senghore further testified that he had told Alasan and Adama to bring the case to state security officers who could better handle it. "I called Salimina Drammeh and explain it to him," Mr. Senghore said, adding that Mr. Drammeh had sent three NIA personnel who he identified as Jabang, Jawara and Sanneh. "I led them to Adama’s compound and introduced them to her. Adama then explained to the NIA officers what transpired between her and the two Germans." He said the NIA officers and Adama left departed to the hotel where the two Germans were lodged.

Senghore said later in the evening he had received call that Adama and her aunt were detained at Kotu Police Station. "When I visited Kotu Police Station, I met Salimina Drammeh but he could not explain to me what happened. The only thing he told me was that the case was very critical but they were going to handle it."

He said he also spoke to Foday Barry, the then commissioner of police for KMC, who told him that he had come to see what happened. Senghore said one of the Germans was complaining about the attitude of Gambian security agents.

He admitted being called at the police headquarters as well as appearing before the NIA Inquiry Commission concerning the case.

Magistrate Kebba Sanyang of Kanifing Magistrates’ Courts who presided over the case decided to adjourn it for further hearing.

-0-

Don't just search. Find. MSN Search Check out the new MSN Search! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤