Police Confront Journalists

By Sulayman Makalo

A contingent of the Police Intervention Unit (PIU) on Friday confronted and prevented international conference delegates from visiting the site where Deyda Hydara was gunned down last December.

The visit was part of the activities marking the one-year anniversary of Mr. Hydara’s callous killing. But upon arrival at Kanifing, visiting delegates surprisingly found baton-wielding paramilitary officers blocking the road that leads to the site of the unfortunate event. They were waiting to disrupt or clampdown on delegates if they wanted to force their way to the site.

The delegation which was full of civilised and mature professionals engaged the PIU officers who said they were only acting on orders. "We were told there was going to be a protest march," said an officer. Some uncompromising officers said, "We didn’t why were deployed here because we were not informed. We were acting on orders we received from our senior authorities that we should not allow anybody to visit the site."

The first visitors at the site were showered with insults and mistreatment. One such was a reporter with Daily Observer, Ramatoulie Charreh who was bullied for taking photograph of the site. "At first, a PIU officer insulted Ramatoulie that she was a bastard but she revenged. Her hands were twisted until she lost consciousness and fell on the ground. While in a rather comma situation, the PIU officers who were insulting her in Mandinka, kept dragging Ramatoulie," reported an eyewitness colleague, Saffiatou Bah, disclosing that her camera was also confiscated by the violence-hungry officers.

Ramatoulie was rushed to RVTH where doctors said she got fainted as a result of shock from the bitter mistreatment.

Angered by the mistreatment, some charged delegates wanted to use fire to put out fire. "We are ready to die. So they are telling us that our visit hurts them. They remain our number one suspect until truth comes to light. This blockade is a fundamental human right," they said.

However, conference organisers asked delegates to join the Hydara family in Kachikally to pray for the soul of the deceased. "The conference started well and we want it to end well. We wonder why our authorities want to build mountains out of small things. They have only succeeded in further destroying their reputation," they said.

Some delegates believed that having a bitter confrontation with security officers would only succeeded in adding the trauma the Hydara family has been enduring since the killing took place. "This tells the international delegates the horrendous situation Gambian journalists are faced with."

The President of West Africa Journalists Association (WAJA), Ibrahim Famakan Coulibally who was a living witness of the events, said, "This is a clear manifestation of the hostile working atmosphere Gambian journalists have been living in. The police have no mandate to prevent us from doing our work. We were not here to fight, bring trouble or quarrel with anybody. We were there to remember and to visit the site where our beloved friend and colleague was brutally murdered. The actions of the Gambian police clearly manifested that Gambian authorities have less regards for the work journalists are doing. As I am talking to you, the whole world knows about the story. This unruly behaviour is uncalled for. We will definitely deal with the situation. WAJA is a lion and nobody stands before a lion. We will do everything humanely possible to see to it that Deyda’s killers are brought to book. We will not tolerate any mistreatment of journalists," he told mourners in Deyda’s compound.

"Since I started journalism, I have never seen the type of unruly manner manifested by Gambian police in any country in the region. After his death, demonstrations were held in all the 16 West African countries without any obstruction. The assassin of RFI correspondent in war-torn Cote D’Ivoire was arrested. So why can’t the authorities arrest the assassins of Deyda in a war-free country?" he said, describing Hydara as a martyr.

The blockade was swiftly condemned by officials of the local press union and other international press watchdog organisations. "It is outrageous that The Gambian authorities prevented journalists from gathering at the scene of the brutal killing of a respected colleague.

We can only conclude that the authorities are deeply embarrassed by their signal failure to bring Deyda Hydara’s killers to justice," said CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper.

-0-

 Gambian Journalists Face Hostility

 By Sulayman Makalo

The President of the Inter Africa Network For Women, Media, Gender and Development (FAMEDEV), Amie Joof-Cole has said that The Gambia is a hostile environment for journalists to operate professionally.

In her solidarity statement, Mrs. Joof-Cole said assassinations, arbitrary arrests, detention without bail or trial are the order of the day in the country. Describing the event as sad and mind storming, she said it is a shame that no serious attempt was made to investigate Hydara’s killing. "Anybody in the hall could have been murdered cold bloodedly and nothing would come out of it. Isn’t that serious? Does this mean therefore that none of us here is safe, that none of us here has full guarantee for our security and that none of us here can be protected by the state apparatus? These are questions that we have to ask ourselves as Gambians. It is sad to note that for 12 months now, nobody in this country has been able to capture or arrest Deyda’s assassins. With a population of just over one million people and a size of about 15, 000 square kilometres, The Gambia is too small for a killer to be hidden for 12 months. Who Killed Deyda? Why killing Deyda? These are questions that come to mind whenever I think of this sad event. It is baffling and absurd to say the least that the assassins have been on the run since last year and up to this day; there is no clue of their whereabouts. This is really serious," she sadly stated.

Mrs. Joof-Cole said the situation must not be allowed to go unchallenged because "this country belongs to all of us. We cannot continue to be intimidated. We should therefore strive to ensure that Deyda’s murderers are brought to justice without further delay.

"Never in the history of The Gambia has the situation been so volatile and disturbing. As a Gambian, it is disheartening to see the repressive manner in which the media and advocates for human rights and democracy are being treated. The media in this country operates under very difficult circumstances with all forms of repressive laws and structures that most countries are seriously trying to repeal in order to be in line with international standards on freedom of expression, non repressive media laws, and respect for the rule of law, human rights, democracy and good governance," she lamented.

She described the absence of the SoS for Communication, Information and Technology as unfortunate. "Her absence raises many questions. It shows the lack of commitment on the part of the government to press freedom and the freedom of expression. What is even more disturbing is the fact that the SoS herself is a journalist."

SoS Gaye said her busy schedules would not allow her to honour her invitation. "She is my friend but this is too disappointing. She should have at least sent an ant or maid," complained Alex da Costa, GPU Executive Member, that the absence tantamount to the government’s unwillingness to the commitment of press activities.

-0-

CPJ Condemns Gambia’s Action

 The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has expressed outrage that The Gambia government’s continuous ignoring of various calls for an independent probe into the brutal assassination of Deyda Hydara.

In a solidarity statement read on behalf of CPJ, Tidiane Sy said instead of allowing international independent investigation into Hydara’s killing, The Gambian officials produced ‘nothing but a smear campaign against the victim.’

"CPJ is deeply concerned that Hydara’s killers have still not been found, one year after his death. The murder of Deyda Hydara shocked the world, and cast a deep chill over The Gambia’s beleaguered independent press. This chilling effect was all the greater as it followed several unsolved arson attacks on the independent media, and the introduction of repressive new media laws," he said.

During a visit to Banjul last April, CPJ observed the deep mistrust between the government and independent media in The Gambia, which would likely hamper investigations. "We called on the government to take a number of steps to help improve the environment, including publicly affirming a commitment to press freedom and journalists’ safety. But official intimidation and harassment of the media has only continued."

According to Tidiane Sy, when the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) released a report on the murder inquiry in June, it was widely denounced as unprofessional and an attempt to smear Hydara’s reputation and that of his family. "CPJ wrote to President Yahya Jammeh, expressing concern that instead of fostering trust, this report would further undermine public confidence in the investigation and alienate potential witnesses."

"The government has not responded, and since June, even the status of the official investigation is unclear. We appeal once again to the Gambian government for urgent action to establish an independent and transparent probe into the murder of Deyda Hydara. CPJ believes that this is a matter of the utmost importance. Press freedom and democracy cannot flourish in a climate of impunity for serious attacks on journalists."

"While cases of murdered journalists in Africa are not numerous compared with some other regions of the world, they are often emblematic. It is often the most high profile and experienced journalists who are targeted - journalists such as Norbert Zongo in Burkina Paso, Carlos Cardoso in Mozambique and Deyda Hydara in The Gambia."

Mr. Sy said in many African countries, journalists also face constant threats, harassment and intimidation as well as repressive media legislations. "In countries like Zimbabwe and indeed in The Gambia, media laws are being used as a weapon against the free press," he said.

"So we have much work to do. And continuing to push for Deyda Hydara’s murderers to be brought to justice is key. Because allowing journalists’ murderers to go unpunished will only encourage more attacks on the press... and hence on efforts to build real democracy."

-0-

 "We’re Not Troublemakers"

RSF Tells Jammeh

By Sulayman Makalo

 Reporters Without Borders (RSF) African Affairs Coordinator, Leonard Vincent has blamed The Gambia government for not allowing him to attend the one-year anniversary of their correspondent’s death.

Vincent said this happened simply because President Jammeh now sees them as an enemy and troublemaker.

In a solidarity statement sent to conference delegates read by Alex da Costa, Vincent said the only crime RSF could have committed is its demand for the truth on Hydara’s assassination. "We do not know the identity of the gunmen in the Mercedes taxis with no licence plates. We do not know who their boss was. Our anger is on a par with our uncertainty and for this very human reason we demand to know the truth. The investigation is going nowhere. I will not dwell on the ‘confidential report,’ which the NIA published in June. Let us just say that the investigators are not doing anything serious. Anyway, those who have something to say refuse to talk to them because they do not trust them. And without doubt, others also would have things to say but they are not being questioned."

Mr. Vincent said it is a fact that since Deyda’s death, The Gambia has been reeling. "The country has been badly hurt. The trust between press and government that is essential to keep a democracy alive is broken. Deyda’s murderers have an immense debt to pay The Gambia. The authorities cannot go on ignoring the legitimate appeals of one of the country’s most respected families. Deyda’s family and friends are demanding justice, but it is not just for them, it is also for the good of their country," he said.

Mr. Vincent said the horrible murder of Deyda Hydara is not just a matter for Gambians because it has sent a terrifying signal to all African journalists that they could also be gunned down if they do their job too well. He added that after this stifling year of tension, mistrust and fear, things must be clear. "Promises given with your hand over your heart are not enough. We now need action," he told Jammeh. He said The Gambia government should face the facts and equip itself to solve this terrible mystery by requesting help from the Americans, Europeans, South Africa, the UN or any other neutral country or body. "The resources of Reporters Without Borders are also at the Gambian government’s full disposal," he promised, describing Deyda’s killers cowards.

-0-

Statement Of Solidarity From GPU-USA

 We the members of the Gambia Press Union, U.S. Branch wish to formally express our condolences to the family and friends of Deyda Hydara, the management and staff of The Point newspaper, our parent body the Gambia Press Union, and all well-meaning and law-abiding citizens of our country.

We thank the GPU for inviting us to send a representative and regret the fact that we are not able to do so this year. We assure you, however, that we are with you in spirit and we are behind whatever resolutions and statements made at this historic conference.

To those who brutally murdered Deyda we say, shame on you. We say shame on you because you have failed miserably in your evil design to silence the voice of truth. Your criminal act has in fact boomeranged in your faces because rather than silence Deyda, you have in fact turned his voice into a universal voice of truth and a universal voice of condemnation of the evil and injustice that infest our society and of which you murderers are condemned to be eternally a part of.

Having said that, we rejoice in the fact that Deyda Hydara is more dangerous today to his enemies -the enemies of truth and justice in our country -than he was while alive. We rejoice in the fact that Deyda is today taller than he could ever have been during his lifetime, that he towers like a giant over the heads of his brutal murderers and that he continues to strike at the root of the evil that took his life. We rejoice in the fact that one-year after his death, and indeed for the foreseeable future, Deyda shall continue to be the nemesis of those who would see him dead. He will refuse to be silenced and we -his family, his brothers and sisters in the struggle against injustice -will refuse to have him silenced.

Deyda is proving more dangerous to his criminal killers because he has turned the full force of the international searchlight on our country. By his death he has brought our country under a sea of light and driven away all the shadows and the darkness, and removed all the covers behind which hypocrites and demonic killers can hide their evil acts. There is no longer a place to run and a place to hide for the killers of innocent and peace-loving citizens like Deyda Hydara. He fought and died for the truth and that truth will no longer be lost to the community of nations, to societies near and far. Deyda is a thorn in the flesh of his killers, and he is a thorn that is beyond reach, that cannot be removed and that can only sink deeper into the tortured consciences of his murderers.

Some of us who had the privilege to get to know Deyda Hydara at a very personal level can attest to his uncompromising professional honesty and integrity .We can attest to the fact that Deyda Hydara was generous to a fault when he saw the need for such generosity . Some of us, as rookie reporters and inexperienced assistant editors, have benefited immensely from Deyda’ s kindness, both financially and professionally. But we know that it is in the nature of evil to be afraid of good. Darkness flees from Light. Falsehood seeks a hiding place at the approach of Truth. It was because he was an embodiment of uncompromising truth that the evil forces in this country tried to silence him. Thankfully, they have woefully failed.

We know that under the present circumstances, Deyda’ s murderers will never be arrested or brought to justice in our courts of law.

One year ago when he was killed, we knew it. As soon as we heard that he has been killed, we said: "No one will be arrested for this murder." It is a sad fact of life that our security agencies become impotent, deaf, dumb and blind when it comes to investigating crimes such as the murder of Deyda Hydara. When it comes to securing the persons and interests of the powers that be, our security agencies are the most efficient in the world. But when it comes to the securing the persons and interests of those who disagree with the powers that be, our security agencies suddenly become spineless. We know why this is so and we caution them to beware the day of judgement, for that day is inevitable.

Finally, we wish to congratulate our parent body for organizing this conference, and our sister organization in the UK, for its generous contribution to this conference. We assure you all that we Gambian journalists and friends of The Gambia in the United

States and other parts of the Diaspora stand solidly behind Deyda Hydara, and behind the Gambia Press Union. We thank all the independent media houses and entreat them to continue doing their good job under what we know are very difficult circumstances.

We thank all justice-loving and human rights organizations that have contributed to the success of this conference and that have done all within their means to keep the fire of truth and justice burning for Deyda. We wish to particularly thank Reporters Without Borders for their continued support of Gambian journalism and stand solidly with them in their condemnation of those who denied them an opportunity to attend this momentous occasion. We recognize everyone’s efforts at making sure that those who killed Deyda Hydara are brought to justice one day. God bless Deyda Hydara.

God bless The Point newspaper. God bless the Gambia Press Union. God bless The Gambia. Down with injustice and all forms of evil, now and forever.

We thank you very much for your kind attention.

Signed:

 Baba Galleh Jallow, CEO, The Independent newspaper,

Coordinator GPU-USA

Washington, DC

-0-

IFJ Bemoans Killings

By Sulayman Makalo

 The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) has bemoaned the continued brutal killings of journalists in West Africa region.

In his solidarity statement at the last week international conference on the killing of Dedya’s one year anniversary, IFJ Africa Office Director, Gabriel Ayite Baglo, said since the brutal parcel bomb that murdered Dele Giwa in Nigeria in 1986, the sub-region had seen an unprecedented wave of the murder of journalists. "As we remember Deyda today, let us also remember two days ago, on the 13 of December to be precise, journalists in Burkina Faso commemorated the fifth anniversary of the murder of Norbert Zongo. The common denominator in all these murders is that the perpetrators of these heinous crimes are still at large," he said.

"This is not acceptable. The culture of impunity that has been growing in our societies and emerging democracies should be fought against. In this regard, we once again call on the government of The Gambia to redouble her efforts and to conduct a full and independent investigation into the murder of Deyda Hydara in order to bring the perpetrators to justice. The Gambia government needs to rebuild its image in the world by doing this."

Mr. Baglo said African governments themselves have acknowledged the fact that the media plays a significant role in the process of development. "Still, media practitioners are finding it very difficult to go on their daily duties without intimidation, harassment, forceful arrest and detention in Africa. The environments in which journalists operate have become hostile, due to the numerous negative legislations that are intended to clip the wings of journalists and to cage the profession," he added, calling on governments in the sub-region to abolish all forms of defamation laws. "These archaic laws pose hindrance to the freedom of expression and the free flow of information."

He said the murder of journalists should generally be seen as a crime against humanity. "Therefore as journalists and press freedom defenders, it should be our collective responsibility to take every step possible to expose and bring to justice those responsible for these killings."

-0-

Be Proud Of Journalism

Doyen Advises Journalists

 By Lamin Njie

A retired Gambian journalist, Ba Trawale has advised journalists to be proud of journalism, describing it as one of the nobleThe Late Deyda Hydarast professions in the world.

In a somber speech at the late Deyda’s Bakau compound, Mr. Trawale said journalism had been practiced since the time of prophets. "Always be proud of yourselves and see yourselves as partners in development and nothing else.

There is no need for fear," he said.

"The profession would continue to triumph. In the days of prophets, information was passed from one part of the world to the other by people, which showed the importance of the journalism. Though painful, journalism is a long time profession. But we still contribute a lot towards the development of any nation including The Gambia."

"To kill a journalist is like an attempt to kill the profession," he said.

"Deyda would always be remembered as a true journalist and press freedom fighter. He was a nice man who troubles no one. He always stood for the press any time the need arose, which why everyone is today standing for him, either one way or another," he said, calling on the Deyda’s killers to be arrested and prosecuted.

-0-

Editorial: Remembering Deyda

It is exactly one year since a leading newspaper editor in The Gambia was shot dead by enemies of truth, freedom, democracy and justice.

The incident marked one of the most unfortunate and shocking events of our country’s history. With all the hues and cries by press watchdogs and all justice-hungry people in all corners of the world, it is sad that the killers of this highly-respected, ethical and professional journalist, freedom fighter, mentor and firm believer of truth and justice are yet to be tracked down, let alone face justice.

We have always believed that the killers and their collaborators could only succeed in ending the precious life of Deyda but not his name. It is so painful for a country, family and professional colleagues to lose worthy sons in such gruesome manner. However, most people have become relieved when they keep setting eyes on effigies of such people. Like all martyrs, Papa Journalist has enjoyed eternal crowning.

The launching of a fitting memorial foundation and today’s international conference in Deyda’s honour are clear testimonies that valiants continue to live forever. Valiants like Malcom X, Martin Luther King, Kwame Krummah, Ahmed Sekou Toure, etc will continue to live with generations to come. They are not like snipers who used the cover of the night to kill innocent souls. Such people always die in shame, betrayal, anger and mystery.

As we immortalise Papa Deyda’s one year killing, we should all join hands to shame and condemn people behind such barbaric, cowardly and dastardly acts, which stain our democratic and international credentials.

One year after the gruesome killing, it is disturbing to know that justice is still hanging in the balance, with police and intelligence agency registering their inability to unearth who must have done the act and for what purposes. As if they have got clues about the killing, some security officers grow horns any time the issue gets international condemnation or coverage. For our government to exonerate itself from blame, we had expected it to open Coroner’s Inquest into the killing or invite international investigators to the country. But either of this was endorsed, which added suspicion among Gambians.

Most people believe that the trigger-happy gunmen assassinated Hydara mainly because they wanted to teach Gambian journalists unforgettable lesson. For that goal to be realised, unshakeable and professionals like Papa Deyda whose entire life had been to defend truth and justice, was killed perhaps to signal cowards that the real crackdown journey on stubborn private media had began. The killing came in the wake of arson attacks on journalists and their institutions and dead threats.

We want to assure all those whose hearts were pierced by the killing, especially his family and professional colleagues to take courage because truth will sooner or later prevail. We commend the local press union, civil society organisations and generous donors of the high profile conference and foundation for their solidarity.

May the soul of Papa Deyda continue to get eternal bliss. Amen.

-0-

 "Jesus said, if you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32

What Will You Do With Jesus?

by Galandou Gorre-Ndiaye

Many will walk through the doors of Christmas blindfolded. They will neither see nor hear what God has in store for them.

They will walk in and out of Christmas without hearing the Good News, without receiving the gift of God – that of His Beloved Son come to save humanity, come to give a new lease of life to those that are oppressed and are broken-hearted; "to proclaim freedom to the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners." (Isaiah 61:1)

Their minds are set on having ‘a good time’ and so will dance, eat and drink without knowing who threw the party or who the party was for. Pulled by the crowd and attracted by the commercial signs of Christmas they will walk past the gift. The garlands, Christmas trees, whiskies and wines, and the new attires have all come to replace the open arms with which we should welcome Jesus – the Saviour of the world.

How do you receive baby Jesus? Is Christmas just another end of year function, to make merry and exchange gifts and wishes of good health, long life and prosperity? Has the family get-together or dinner taken over and now occupies centre stage at Christmas? What indeed does this great event mean for humanity in general?

The phenomenon is not new, few received baby Jesus as they ought at the announcement of His birth; only a few will be able to make the difference this year in order not to be carried away by the fanfare and be sidetracked. But probably after reading through this article and reflecting on its message you will see things in their true perspective. The question really is, what will you do with baby Jesus this Christmas specifically? On what would you focus your thoughts? Would he be your ‘be all and end all’ ? Or would you rather thrust him out of the way and go ahead with the celebration?

Christ left His heavenly throne on high to come to live as a human being so that the purpose of God will be fulfilled. There could not have been a greater sacrifice or greater love; – "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but shall have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

When the angel of the Lord announced the virgin birth to the shepherds "watching over their flocks at night" he said to them; "Do not be afraid, I bring you news of great joy that will be for all people. Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2:10-11) Straightaway, they left all they were doing and hurried off to see this event that had happened which the angel of the Lord had revealed to them.

They were the first to get to the scene. After they had worshipped him, "…they spread the word concerning what they had been told them about this child." (verse 17) It was all so amazing, they could not have kept it to themselves. They broke the news to others happy to be associated with the event.

After the shepherds, it was the turn of the three wise men – the Magi – to visit. They had "seen His star in the east and had come to worship him." They enquired from Herod, the reigning king, where he could be found. The thought of a Jewish king was upsetting for Herod and thoughts of losing his throne didn’t give him peace. After consulting, he was told that the baby king was to be born in Bethlehem, in Judea, and as he sent them on their way he bid them to, "Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him." (Matthew 2:8)

Imagine their joy when they followed the star "until it stopped over the place where the baby was." (Matthew 2:9) They bowed down and worshipped him. Overwhelmed with joy, "they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh." (Matthew 2:11) Like the shepherds they were all too happy to be a part of that singular event.

Herod could not contain his jealousy or hide his worry about an emergent king that would replace him. When the three kings did not return to the palace to report where the child could be found, he organised a search to eliminate him. But God protects His own. The wise men took another route home prompted by the angels. In his anger , he ordered that all the children two years and below in Bethlehem and the surrounding towns be killed. But before that could happen God had spoken to Mary and Joseph to move to Egypt.

(Part two next article.)

-0-

 Women Protocol Enforced But…

 Fatou Badjie-Ceesay

The 38th Ordinary Session of the African commission on Human and People’s Rights on November 25th enforced the protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa.

The Gambia is the only country among fifteen (15) countries that ratified the protocol with reservations on articles 5, 6, 7 and 14. In expressing their appreciation to the government, women groups, youths and men who cares, headed by the African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies conducted a march pass from Arch 22 to July 22 Square on December 10, which marks the end of the 16 Days of Gender Activism celebrations.

The group came with a message to be delivered to the Legislature and Executive arm of the government to WAIVE the RESERVATIONS and to IMPLEMENT it effectively. "We need legislation and implementation," said Mrs Binta J. Sidebe, Director of APGWA.

The Gender coordinator of African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies, Mary Small, said she is proud that women came to celebrate the ratification and entry into force of the women’s protocol. "Women have suffered verbal and psychological abuses and this African protocol is here to put an end to all abuses against women," she said thanking the government for ratifying the protocol.

It is now a common believe among gender activities and feminists, that there are men who cares for women and among them is Karamo Janneh of Women’s Bureau. He noted that Women’s Bureau would continue to lobby for the domestification of the protocol.

The chairperson of the Women’s Bureau, Kassa Sanneh, said women have remained an important sector of The Gambian population. This importance, she said, is reflected clearly in their roles and responsibilities in the family, economy and society in general. She added that women still suffer all sorts of oppression in the home, office, work places and society. "They are still victims of discrimination, harmful traditional practices, repeated and incessant violence." She noted with the fact that despite the ratification of CEDAW, the rights of women are still violated on daily bases. "The protocol on women is a powerful instrument of positive change. The ratification of this protocol will contribute greatly towards eradicating the gender imbalance gap in Africa" she said, urging the government to revisit these articles and lift the reservations as these articles provide useful guidelines on the elimination of some of the gender based violence.

The permanent secretary, office of the Vice President, Fatou Jasseh Kuyateh congratulated the women for the dedication in the struggle to empower themselves. She underscored government’s commitment in the development of both men and women, noting that the protocol is an effective instrument that highlights the right of women. "We will work hard to remove the reservation on the women’s protocol," she said.

The articles reserved, which are 5,6,7,14, are very significant if we talk about women’s rights. These articles are issues that deal with marriage, inheritance, divorce and reproductive health. The protocol is translated in English, French and Arabic and a copy of them were presented to the permanent secretary for the office of the Vice President. National Youth Parliament, Youth with vision, Women groups, Alcohol Drug Demand Reduction Service Scheme women from the grassroot, Kanyelengs and the media, graced the occasion. The programme ended with entertainment.

-0-

Tribute To A Hero

 Baba Hydara, Paris, France

 First of all, I would like to thank all participants for coming to this very important day, which both negatively and positively changed a lot of lives.

Like our family, for instance, 16 December will always be framed in our memory as the day a great man was killed. The day when children were deprived of a father and a journalist was ripped off his profession. It was very hard and still it is still hard for the family, but we stayed together supporting each other; for which I want to thank my sisters who were there for my mum. We have lost a great man who is irreplaceable but it is the support of some of some Gambians both in the Gambia and abroad who made it somehow easy to cope with the situation.

During this horrible time I was really shocked that the government, instead of pursuing his killers, they tried to bring dirt to the memory of my dad but thank God nobody paid attention to those absurd allegations. Therefore, let me take this opportunity to remind them that we are the victims and not the enemy. We are just asking for the truth about what happened and we have the right as Gambian citizens to request for an independent investigation to be held since his killers are still at large.

Let me bring you back to what happened ladies and gentlemen. All that this great man wanted and his only crime was to be a journalist and live in a world where freedom of speech should be practised and at the same time trying to uphold the good ethics of journalism.

In conclusion, I will once again thank the organisers, the GPU and everyone who contributed one way or the other to make this day a success. Thank you to everyone and may God bless you all. I pray for my HERO to rest in peace.

-0-

Reporters, Alkalolu Receive Training

 By Sana Camara

 Four reporters, five Alkalolu and the area chief of Kombo North have undergone a three days intensive training on Biodiversity, National Environment policy and the Law at the Darwin Field Station, Abuko Nature Reserve.

The training, which was facilitated by Makasutu Wildlife Trust, was conducted with funding from the Plymouth Banjul Challenge, and it is aimed at providing a background in biodiversity and the national laws designed to protect it in the country.

The training introduced participants to international conventions on biodiversity, the environment and natural resources policy in The Gambia, and the overall importance of biodiversity globally and The Gambia in particular, as well as threats to biodiversity including conflicts with people.

The project manager for Makasutu Wildlife Mr. Craig Emms underscored the significance of biodiversity, which he said is fundamental to a healthy environment. He said the fundamental requirements of life are provided by what he calls "a well functioning and complete environment". He noted that to survive as humans, organisms and plants, a fundamental requirement needed is clean water, clean air and the ability to provide us with food and fuel.

Mr. Famara Darboe, a Gambian ecologist and principal fisheries officer at the department of state for Fisheries who was one of the lecturers for the training, defined biodiversity as the variability between living organisms from all sources such as terrestrial, marine and other aquatic organisms as well as the ecological complexes of which they are part.

Other lecturers at the training include Dr. Linda Barnett, Director of research at the Makasutu Wildlife, Mr. Malang Jambang, field Section Head, Darwin Field Station, Mr. Lamin Jarjusey of Department of Community Development and Mr. Kawsu Jammeh of the Department of Parks and Wildlife.

Also participating were Seyfo Alhagie Demba Sanyang of Kombo North, Alkalo Mbemba Bojang of Lamin Village, Alkalo Baboucarr Ndure of Wellingara Village, Alkalo Boto Tamba of Abuko Village and Alkalo Saihou Conteh of Kunkujang Village.

Reporters were drawn from The Independent, The Observer, The Point, and Radio Gambia.

-0-

GTB Unveils New Logo

 By Lamin M. Fatty & Alieu Darboe

 Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) last Thursday unveiled its new logo with keen sense of purpose and re-orientation for customer satisfaction and introduction of new products.

Speaking at the launching of the high profile event at the Bank’s head office, Secretary of State for Finance and Economic Affairs, Mousa Bala Gaye acknowledged the pivotal role being played by commercial banks in the country towards accelerating the engines of the economy. He said banking contributed immensely to the country’s Gross National Products (GNP). "It is the main source and hope for financing private investment in this country," he said.

Mr. Gaye assured government’s continued support to provide the most conducive policy environment and incentives required to bolster the growth and development in the financial services industry. Highlighting Guaranty Trust Bank’s contribution to the socio-economic development, SOS Gaye said the Bank, which was established in 2002 continues to excel in the market. Being one of the newest banks in the country, SoS Gaye said, GTB has proven to be a bank with difference because it has since inception been significantly contributing to both health and education sectors.

He said the Bank has over the years attained outstanding achievements in the areas of Telephone Banking, unique products such as Call Accounts, Young Savers Plus, and Highly Customised Personal Banking, among other things. "This epitomizes the giant steps the bank has taken in modernizing the banking sector through innovation in The Gambia," he said.

Mr. Ayo Richards, GTB Managing Director, said the bank started operation in Nigeria in 1990 with less than US$1 million as share capital but today the bank boasts of nothing less than US$270 million as shareholders’ fund in excess. It has over 80 branches in Nigeria alone with subsidiaries in Sierra Leone and The Gambia. He said the bank is now more sophisticated, discerning and ambitious to become the leading bank in the sub-region and is also poised to do the same on the global market.

Mr. Richards noted that GTB is innovative and always offer quality services. Director Richards said the introduction of the new logo does not necessarily mean the bank discards its old identity or re-invent the bank’s driven aspiration to serve the best interest of its customers.

He added that the new logo would attract new customers and reassure the existing customers of our usual excellent services. "We will live our new brand and therefore the heart of our brand will be built through everything we do, every customer we serve and every product we develop and provide."

-0-

 "Disabled People Are Discriminated"

 By Fatou Badjie-Ceesay

 The chairman of the Foundation For Disabled People (FFDP), Mr. Opesan Gabriel Kenny, has said that many differently abled persons are shunned by their families and communities because of been impaired.

Speaking at a two-days workshop recently held at the Banjul City Council hall, organised by FFDP to commemorate the 16 days of activism, Mr. Kenny these shunned persons have little or no access to education and many are often victims of appalling sexual violence. The workshop, according to him was geared towards making women to know their rights as human being. "To create awareness on the areas that women has been abuse either directly or indirectly, to acknowledge and show appreciation of the laudable roles of women in society, to bring in to focus all traditional practices against women in the modern society and to expedite action on the rights of disabled people as been ratified by United Nations on the standard rules on the people with disability," he said.

Mr. Kenny added that the forum was equally targeting the government, NGOs, and the public to change the way they think about people with disability and to raise awareness on disability as a human rights and development issues. He called on differently abled women to exercise their franchise by contesting for elective position or form a pressure group to influence or contribute in decisions that affect them.

Speaking on behalf of Women’s Bureau, Karamo Janneh said the bureau has taken the lead role in coordinating the mainstreaming of gender in the polices and programmes of government institution, key NGO and some international organizations. According to him, the efforts of the women’s bureau are sometimes constrained by the patriarchal nature of The Gambia society, which has made women subservient to men. "Women perform the triples roles of mother, wife and farmer. In a multifaceted manner, normally without any form of labour saving device, they are only recognized for their reproductive role. Women find themselves being discriminated against at household, community and nations levels. Most decisions are taken by men even those affecting the welfare of women," he said.

-0-

 APGWA Ends Violence Training

 By Fatou Badjie Ceesay

A two days training on Gender violence for policy makers and community leaders was recently organised by the Association for promoting Girls and Women’s Advancement in The Gambia (APGWA) at Illiasa village, North Bank Division.

According to the Director of APGWA. Mrs Binta. J Sidebe, the training focused on Gender violence in the school, in the home, at the work place and in the community at large. "Health implications of Gender violence and religious perspectives were also highlighted".

Mrs. Sidebe further noted that a copy of the protocol to the African charter on Human and peoples’ Rights on the Rights of women in Africa which was enforced by the 38th ordinary session of The African commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights on 25th of November, was given to participants at the workshop.

Imams, Alkalolos, Youth leaders, Councilors, the villages Development committee Members and other Women leaders from six villages converged at Illiasa to grace the occasion.

-0-

 The Intimate Friends 2

 She knew she had to conceal the feeling to herself because even though they didn’t have anything from each other, she didn’t think it would be such a good idea to tell her best friend that she had a thing for her man.

They were doing real good together for about a year until they started having problems. Almost every night, Tonia would come back home crying. She would complain that they had argued about one thing or another and in the end, Jenny had been the one to go to talk. She became the mediator between them though she didn’t find it funny, it was all she could do to make her friend happy.

Then it happened one night after they’d both quarrelled. She had gone to Henry’s house. Before they knew what was happening they found themselves together after he told her about the feelings he had for her. But along the line, he told her the reason why he and Tonia had been having series of problems was because she had denied him everything for the past one year and he was tired of the whole thing.

He then went on to tell Jenny how much he liked her from the first day they met and that was it.

How did it go? Tonia asked as soon as Jenny had walked through the door.

What has she got to tell her friend?

Because of some minutes of pleasure, she had betrayed the trust she had for her. There was no way she was going to tell her what had happened.

Tell me now, Jenny, what did he say? Tonia asked again when she saw she wasn’t forthcoming with an answer. Then she knew she had to tell her the truth.

She told her Henry he didn’t want her anymore and he advised her to get someone else. Then she watched her best friend cry each day with the guilt biting deep in her hearts. She knew Tonia needed her so bad and so she had to be there for her. She continued her relationship with Henry for some months before Tonia got to know what was going on. To say she was angry with her was an understatement she was fond of.

She swore to deal with her severely even if it meant taking her life.

The events that took place that day and some days to follow are left better untold. All she can say is that they were able to bury the hatchet months after Henry had graduated from school and they had gone their separate ways.

She had seen her come out of the class one day after lectures. With the help of some friends, she was convinced to agree to forgive her and moved back to the room. Then they began their life after reconciliation. There she keeps thinking Tonia that had forgiven her for wronging her not knowing she had chosen to keep it in heart for so long time. The day she finally had to release her unforgiving sprit came two weeks before her wedding.

She (Jenny) and Clement met when he went to the bank where she worked to withdraw some money. Jenny was the one who attended to him and in the course of their transaction, they had gotten along so much that they exchanged numbers. Being few days together, their journey to happiness began. But a month before their weeding, she noticed she had started having love for Fank, her colleague at the office. They were so close to each other that she hid nothing from him.

She told him all that went on between she and Clement. Whenever they quarreled, Frank was always the first to know, as she was able to read her attitude like a book. Whenever he realized that she was sad, he always pester her until she told him what went wrong. He always had a solution to her problems. And as time went on, she began to imagine what it would be like dating him. She always thought about it. The chance finally came two months later when their colleague threw a party at her place. Jenny went alone because Clement had traveled and wasn’t coming back until the next day. Things had started to heat up at the grooves when she and Frank hooked up. They drank so much that they started getting tipsy. The next thing she knew was that they ended up at her place since her parents had traveled to see a distant relation.

She must have been careless because she forgets to lock the door and it wasn’t until Tonia walked on them.

Jenny, what is this? She heard her say as she and Frank disengaged from each other and scrambled for the safety of the bed sheet. As she looked at Tonia in the eyes, she saw a wicked smile on her lips and that was when she knew she was done for. Please, Tonia don’t …. Oh so you remember. Don’t you? She said obliviously knowing she was thinking about her thoughts for her.

Please, Tonia don’t tell anyone, I can explain…

Pay back time bitch! As the saying goes "revenge is sweeter than everything," she said walking out laughing.

"What shall we do now?" Frank asked, the drink wiped off from his face as it had done hers.

"Oh you’re still here. Get your things and leave right now before you get me into further trouble."

But…

Get out! She barked at him. She wasn’t ready to listen, to help her in any way.

Clement came back to town the next day and when he came over to see her, Tonia had come with him. Jenny went with fear when she found her at the door.

"Honey, are you all right? You look so pale," Clement asked, rushing to her side immediately.

"It’s okay sweetie," she gushed quickly into Tonia, smiling her eyes, which had the message. "Don’t be thankful next time. I get to be with him. You won’t be so lucky."

In her eyes she pleaded silently that Tonia would not tell her. She kept looking at Tonia while Clement held her in his arms as he kept blabbing about his trip and all that went on. Tonia made him less suspicions by chipping some questions and at last, when it was time to go, Tonia asked if Clement would give her a lift back home.

Not now, Clement. I have something to tell Jenny.

"Why do you call me? Is everything all right?"

"During your trip, I have done something awful that I want you to forgive me she was crying."

"I know everything honey," Frank told me.

"Then I went to see Tonia so that I can cut off the wedding, but she begged me that it was the devil’s work that it was not your fault because you got go drunk," Clement explained.

"In fact, I want to know what had happened between the girls. Now that you confessed, I have forgiven you and the marriage can still go on," he hugged her.

"If there is love, there is surely forgiveness."

-0-

Veteran Journalist Defends Freedom, Development

The Gambia’s oldest journalist, Alhagie Ba Trawale has shared his wisdom with delegates of the international conference marking the first anniversary of the assassination of Deyda Hydara.

The full text of his speech reads:

I have only few points to share with you. I think I am the oldest journalist in this country with a track record of 50 years or so. I started writing a private paper in the colonial days. I had no access to a newspaper, we used to write and circulate fighting for independence. The struggle began for independence and I register a new paper called The New Gambia, which was banned twice. You all know about it and how it was banned. That didn’t kill my spirit. I continue to write up to now. The recent article I submitted was in August as recent as others. Although I have a lot of things to do but I always find time to write. I love it.

What we are talking about is freedom, democracy and development. I want to put that in some context to bring it out so that we can see it in a different perspective and background. Talking about development there was a cat called by a group of people that ‘We want to skin you and pack gold in your skin.’ The cat asked them to say it again. They repeated it. They said what’s your reaction. The cat paused a while and said "who is the gold going to benefit?"

If we talk about development and we are not sure we can live to enjoy tomorrow, then who is that development going to benefit. Who is that development going to benefit if we will not enjoy tomorrow? So when we talk about freedom, we must be able to live to enjoy freedom. If we don’t, freedom is meaningless. That’s all.

Then there was another occasion when a dog from East Berlin that crossed to West Berlin. The dog was received by a group of dogs in Berlin. They looked at the dog, which was well-built, nice, looking fresh and good with no sign of hunger. Then they started to say we don’t know why he is here. One of the dogs invited him to tell them why he was here. But before that the dog jumped, jumped, pubub, pubub, pubub. Then the visiting dog said that’s why I am here. A dog must bark and if it does not bark, it is not a dog. So if people don’t talk, it is not a dog. So if people don’t talk, they cease to be human beings. If human beings don’t talk, they don’t speak their minds, then they are no longer human beings. They are different types of creatures. That’s why we must allow people to speak. The beautiful lady from Denmark said, "If you kill the press, you kill democracy." That’s true. But for those who carry out these heinous and barbaric deeds, I want to remind them of the words of God. In Mathew 10: 26-36 God said that there is nothing covered that shall not be revealed.

In the Old Testament, Isaiah 40:8, God said, "The green grass has dried up. The blossom has withered but the word of God will last indefinite." So those who think they can murder, harass or destroy the life of people and get away with it are joking. The wrath of god will await them. God will react at some point because they will be exposed. Isaiah has confirmed that however long this thing must come to light. Whatever someone hides, whatever means you have, you can hide it from people but not God the Almighty. The days of reckoning are not far away, they will soon come.

Ladies and gentlemen, I don’t want to tell you about my experience. Perhaps some of you know it. One thing I want to tell you young journalists is that you must try and familiarize yourself with the evolution of journalism in this country. You want to know how and when journalism started. Journalism is not new in The Gambia, as it started as far back as 1871 when we had a newspaper in this country. We continued up to colonial days then the struggle began. I read a paper published in Banjul condemning the British government for pursuing Musa Molloh for forcing him to sign an agreement to surrender his country under British rule. But the paper in Banjul has condemned the British government for trying to force Musa Molloh. But the British government did not say we are going to kill or shoot you. No. They know the media has a role to play and they listen to the press.

Then came the Echo and there was an editor called Findin Dailey. Some of you will have heard about him. He attacked an expatriate doctor in Bansang Hospital. The doctor had a problem with a patient in Bansang Hospital. See as far back as The Echo, people in this country knew the role of an independent and impartial press. The people traveled all the was from Bansang to Banjul and talked to Mr. Findin Dailey. After doing all his investigations into the facts, he carried a story. It was a highly emotional story.

The British government asked the doctor to go to the court to prove himself. Then Findin Dailey was charged for libel. He went to the court and they also went to the court. The judge was a British and the complainant Englishman but when the evidence was submitted in court and found that the Englishman was faulty, they entered a judgment against him and in favour of Findin Dailey. He didn’t cover his kith and kin. He was a judge, not a misfit. He was a judge, not a betrayer of justice. The judge could have said "no this is an Englishman like me, I will not give the pleasure to an African to displease my fellow brother. That’s a judge, not a misfit."

Then we had another occasion when M B Jones had a problem with another English dentist who slapped a woman. He was extracting a tooth and when the woman was unable to stand the pain, the dentist cautioned her by slapping. The woman went to the press and lodged a complaint. And not only that, the editor went to town and had a big story Dentist Adam Beating A Patient. And the governor called the man and said, "you have to defend yourself. This matter is going to the courts." Then they charged M B Jones for libel. There’s always a way for a government to protect itself when it is doing hideous things. They charged Jones and took him to court. M B Jones proved his case and the dentist was fired, sent back to England. That’s also an Englishman, a European not an African. He is somebody who respects his profession and not a bootlicker.

Then something else happened when I was a teacher at Abuko. Many people did not know about it. Even the people concerned, most of them did not know what happened.

Teachers went into an office and the white man there said, "get out, get out." The visitors said, "but we are teachers." He said, "get out." Two or three days after, there was a big newspaper article on the paper by an eyewitness. The story was well written, presented and structured thus creating maximum impact. The veterinary officer was then called and told to pack up within 24 hours. He was sent back to England. Can you see the administration of the white man against the administration of our fellow black people? Can you see the difference?

Another thing I want to highlight here is that in all these cases, civil servants went to the courts and spoke the truth. That’s what you cannot get today. Almost every other person is a liar. When you write a good story, well published, somebody out there who is nobody will start saying, "this is baseless, unfounded, incorrect. I’ll take you to court and they will charge you for libel." Somebody of no significance! The journalist takes the trouble to investigate a good case, which you presented, and what we call sai sai will say, "they accused me, they offended me." This is the order of the day. Let’s pray that we have people with consent. Let’s pray God gives authority to those who will respect their fellow human beings.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much.

-0-

 Delegates Rally Behind Seedy

Two weeks ahead of the Gambia Football Association (GFA) congress, delegates from all the regions except Banjul have unanimously endorsed the candidature of GFA 1st Vice President, Seedy Kinteh.

According to reports, delegates from North Bank, Lower River, Central River, Upper River, Western Divisions, Bakau, Serrekunda East and West have rallied behind Mr. Kinteh and promised to vote him as President of the association.

"At a meeting in Mansakonko, all provincial delegates threw their weight behind Seedy Kinteh to lead the FA for the next four years," revealed a source. "Delegates said they want Seedy and nobody else."

It was also learnt that similar such meeting took place at the B.O. Semega-Janneh Hall in Bundung last Friday, where 70 signatures were collected to back Seedy’s candidacy.

On the contrary, sources said Banjul teams headed by Real de Banjul, were also busy collecting signatures to back the candidature of the Interim President, Alhagie Omar Sey. At press time, nomination were said to have been going on at the GFA secretariat in Bakau.

Seedy Kinteh who was the son of the former Jarra West Chief was elected 2nd Vice President in December 2002. However, he was elevated to the rank of 1st Vice President after Momodou Musa had resigned. In November 2004, he was elected the first vice-president of the GFA during the extra-ordinary congress after delegates impeached Alhagie Gabbi Sosseh and elected Mr. Sey to serve a year in office.

Linguere Upsets Ziguinchor Champions

The 2005 Kanifing Municipality championship winners and Bakau Nawettan league titleholders, Linguine FC of New Town last week rose Gambian flag in the Southern Senegalese town of Ziguinchor.

The Bakau outfit, which represented the municipality, defeated the Ziguinchor champions ASC Rival 2-1 in a well-contested game in Ziguinchor. According to the head of the Gambian delegation and chairman of the municipality sports committee, Pa Sulay Jobe, the visit was part of the exchange programme between Ziguinchor and Kanifing Municipality. Mr. Jobe pointed out that Ziguinchorois were very pleased with the visit especially with the performance of Linguere FC and they asked for another trip to Ziguinchor with more teams. He added that another visit is planned for December 26, 2005 with two teams, Linguere FC of Bakau New Town and Maccassa FC of Fagi-kunda in the Serrekunda East zone. Mr. Jobe said the teams are expected to play series of friendly matches in Ziguinchor.

Semi-Finals in Banjul Pre-season

After ten days of intensive competition, Gamtel and Interior became the first teams to book a ticket to the semi-finals of a tournament organised in memory of Eda Carr in Banjul.

Both team in Group B each collected four points in a group of three teams. Their group mate, Starlight was eliminated in the first rounds without a point. In group A, Hawks became the first team to sail through the semi-final ladder after it had collected six points in its first two games. The team that beat Wallidan 1-0 has a match at hand. At press time, the team was playing against the second leaders in Group B, Real de Banjul that reeled with four points after two games.

The second semi-finalist is expected to be either Real or Wallidan. The semi-final matches are scheduled for today and tomorrow.

The Results So Far

Hawks 1 Wallidan 0

Real 2 Young Africans 0

Interior 2 Starlight 0

Wallidan 0 Real 0

Gamtel 0 Interior 0

Hawks 2 Young Africans 0

Gamtel 2 Starlight 0

-0-

WD Winds Up Third Division Preliminaries

By Alieu Darboe

The 2005 third division preliminaries in Western Division last week ended at Box Bar mini stadium in Brikama, with four teams booking their tickets for the next stage.

After a fierce competition, Folonko FC of Kartong, Jambanjelly, Kukujang and Jafaye of Busumbala booked their place for the next stages of the qualifiers. The team joins Jupiter FC of Lamin that was relegated from Second Division last season while Foni United secured automatic qualification to the next stage of the tournament. Six teams are now expected to battle it out in a tournament whose winner would represent the division in a triangular tournament involving KMC and Banjul.

In a chat with Independent Sports, the Chairman of the divisional sports committee, Lamin King Kolley expressed happiness with the manner teams comported themselves during the preliminaries. Mr. Kolley hailed Kartong and Gunjur for amicably resolving their eleven-year football rivalry.

He thanked both sides for their understanding that a sports is only a mere game. "There is no rivalry between the two sides now because they have exchanged flags as a sign of solidarity and peace promotion between the two villages."

-0-

Aids - Threat To Human Survival

 By Pa Modou Secka

 President Yahya Jammeh has described Hiv/Aids as the biggest threat to human survival and the sustainable development efforts of countries.

Speaking at the launching of "Unite for Children, Unite against Aids" campaign at the Kairaba Beach Hotel, President Jammeh, who further described Aids as the number one enemy of humankind said the pandemic is ‘like a torrent, rushing fast and growing stronger, that must be stemmed, and stopped.’

"The campaign is a serious attempt to reinforce our belief that Aids exists, and as such it is our collective responsibility to fight against it. The campaign calls on us all to unite and pull our resources, energies and expertise together to stop the spread of the disease in line with the Millennium Development Goals that the government is very strongly committed," he stated.

President Jammeh said children who are mostly affected and constitute the most vulnerable groups need all kind of support to protect them from being infected with or affected by the disease. "Hiv/Aids epidemic represents an unprecedented health, economic and social global threat. It is undermining the gains and progresses in the development endeavours of most valuable resources, wrecking families, killing humankind in their most productive years."

The UNICEF country representative, Madam Cheryl Gregory Faye said sun-region cannot progress while loosing over 100, 000 children annually due to Aids. She said 4.2 million children are orphaned by Aids in 2004 in the Africa. According to her, the spread of Hiv/Aids should be actively stopped to ensure Aids free society for the generation to come.

-0-

Don't just search. Find. MSN Search Check out the new MSN Search! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤