Demonstrators Demand Release Of NADD Three

By Baba Galleh Jallow

Washington, DC

A group of Gambians from the states of Maryland, North Carolina, Kentucky, Chicago and the Washington, DC metropolitan area converged outside the Gambian Embassy in the American capital on the morning of Friday, December 2, to protest the arrest and continued detention of three opposition coalition leaders last month.

The demonstration was organized and coordinated by a U.S-based Gambian pro-democracy group, Save The Gambia Democracy Project (STGDP).

National Assembly member Halifa Sallah, Hamat Bah and Omar Jallow were arrested by security agents on November 15. Messrs Sallah and Jallow were charged with sedition while Mr. Bah was charged with possession of government documents without authority. The three men were remanded in custody to await a hearing this month.

Holding placards with such inscriptions such as FREE THE NADD THREE NOW, JUSTICE PAUL OUT OF THE GAMBIA, the demonstrators chanted slogans against the Jammeh regime and decried what they termed the continued perpetration of injustice against the Gambian people by the government. Some of the posters showed the pictures of the three NADD leaders.

Shortly after the demonstration started, three representatives of the protesters, under police escort, went into 1156 15th Street, the building housing the Gambian embassy to deliver a petition to Ambassador Bammy Jagne. Shortly afterwards, the three came out of the building. They said they had to deliver the letter to the NIA Attache and First Secretary Njaga Mendy, who told them that Ambassador Jagne was not in the office.

"Njaga Mendy would not even let us into his office," one of the delegates told The Independent. "He told us that Bammy Jagne is out and he was only there to receive our petition for onward transmission to the ambassador."

"It’s so embarrassing that our own ambassador could not receive us. That’s how democratic our country is," another delegate protested. "We are Gambians and we have a right to protest and to petition our government," she said.

The peaceful demonstration almost turned violent when Njaga Mendy came out of the building and lingered near the protesters. He was soon surrounded by a group of angry demonstrators and a heated exchange of words ensued. Only the timely intervention of the police prevented the outbreak of violence as some of the demonstrators loudly condemned Mr. Mendy, who was ushered away by the police. Later, a police sergeant asked the demonstrators to gather around and cautioned them to avoid violence. "You are involved in a constitutional process," he said. "Please do it peacefully to avoid arrest."

Among the demonstrators were former KMC chairman Kebba Jallow and several Gambian ladies, at least one of them carrying a baby in her arms. Also present was former Serekunda East National Assembly independent candidate Ms. Badjen Sosseh. Ms Sosseh told The Independent she came out to protest because of what she called the growing injustice in The Gambia. "The arrest of the NADD leaders is too much," she said. "Justice is not prevailing in our country and that is why I decided to come and join this protest."

One of the organizers of the demonstration told The Independent that after the protest, they were scheduled to meet with a senior official at the U.S. State Department to whom they will deliver a letter to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. "We will also tell them about what’s going on in The Gambia, generally. The human rights violations need to stop," he said.

-0-

Confusion Rocks Health

Cholera Cheque Missing

#C 05122005

#D Banjul

#E By Sulayman Makalo

#F For weeks, health workers have been living in wonderland following the disappearance of a cheque meant to bolster The Gambia’s emergency efforts to combat cholera outbreak.

The forty-five thousand (D45, 000) Dalasis worth cheque, which was donated by the Taiwanese Embassy in Banjul, disappeared in thin air.

According to our sources, the said cheque was donated when the Department for Health appealed to the Taiwanese Embassy. "This was done through a senior health official under the directive of the Permanent Secretary, Joseph Jassey," a source said. "The idea of the appeal came following series of complaints we have received from our emergency team we sent to the cholera outbreak area – Ebo Town – had complained of lack of materials to carry out the necessary emergency interventions."

The Independent was also tipped that the said missing cheque was supposed to cater for the incentives of the team, as health officers worked overtime during the intervention period.

"The cheque has been revolving between the offices of the Permanent Sectary and Director of Health Services. If the cheque is not missing, it has not then served its purpose," said a health official.

"We want to know what the cheque has been used for," another added.

Frantic efforts were made by The Independent to get quotes from both Director of Health Services and Permanent Secretary to no avail. While the Director was not available, the Permanent Secretary was said to be attending a meeting on Friday.

-0-

WANEP Chief Condemns Arms Proliferation

 By Musa Saidykhan

The Regional Director of West Africa Network on Peace Building (WANEP), Emmanuel Bombade has condemned the proliferation of arms in the sub-region.

Mr. Bombade was speaking at the end of a four-day training of trainer’s workshop on Gender and Small Arms and Light Weapons at Girls’ Guides in Kanifing. The training was organised by WANEP office in The Gambia.

In the functioning of a state, security forces alone are licensed to have weapons to guarantee our safety. "Our best protection is to be without weapons," he suggested, pointing out that countries that have liberalised guns are now bearing the brunt. "Our region has been devastated by conflicts that know no borders," he said, adding that countries fail to function, which is why armed forces have become part of the problem, citing Sierra Leone as classical example.

He said the proliferation of arms leads to gangsterism and robberies because "we have not been trained to handle weapons, even the sound of a gun causes panic among us," he stated. "We should therefore work hard to remove arms menace in our respective countries," Mr. Bombade charged, believing that civil society groups should advocate for non-violence. "Our continent is full of good people and when we join hands, Africa would be the best place everybody would like to visit." Mr. Bombade urged participants to strive for their country and continent so that they can be proud of making a difference in future. He also urged them to acts as peace ambassadors who pre-occupy themselves with sensitising people, saying together we can remove anything that has threatened our lives.

WANEP Chief asked ECOWAS Heads of State to turn the Arms Moratorium into a Convention in their next session later this month. He commended The Gambia Armed Forces for playing a leading role in controlling small arms in the country.

The newly appointed Chief of Defence Staff, Colonel Ndure Cham described the training as very vital, as it enhances the job of National Security Council in controlling small arms. He said the porous nature of our borders is alerting. Colonel Cham said we have gone far but a lot remains to be done. "Let’s share the information with the people because it’s a task for everybody. We have a border in which people freely pass. So let’s do something real."

The Technical Adviser of the training, Samba Barry of Canadian Centre for Education and Cooperation said, "We have planted good things which must be continued." The National Coordinator of WANEP Gambia, Pamela Cole facilitated the training. Participants were presented with certificates.

-0-

Court Defends Orphans’ Rights

 By Dawda Faye

Magistrate Amina Saho-Ceesay of Kanifing Magistrates’ Court granted rights of the orphaned children to benefit from their late father’s legacy.

The counsel for the plaintiff, Lawyer Hawa-Ceesay had earlier filed a suit against her late husband’s brother, Saikou Darboe and Curator of Interstate for not allowing her five orphaned children to benefit from the proceeds of their father’s properties. According to court records, the plaintiff, Kaddy Sanyang accused Saikou of receiving proceeds from rented houses and commercial vehicles of her late husband, without giving anything to the beneficiaries.

However, Lawyer Ceesay-Sabally argued that the courts should release the commercial vehicles of the children’s father to the plaintiff. This, she added, would allow her use the proceeds for the upkeep of the children. The court had earlier ordered Saikou Darboe to restrain from collecting from the rent and commercial vehicles. She also ordered the vehicles to be placed under custody pending the outcome of the case.

The case was adjourned for continuation.

-0-

GAMCOTRAP Organizes Reproductive Health Workshop

By Pa Modou Secka

 The Gambia Committee on Traditional Practices (GAMCOTRAP) in collaboration with Save the Children Sweden held a day’s workshop with medical practitioners on the rights of the child in the context of sexual and reproductive health at Corinthia Atlantic Hotel in Banjul.

The Programme Coordinator of GAMCOTRAP, Amie Bojang-Sissoho said the workshop is essential, as it would sensitize participants about negative traditional practices affecting the sexual and reproductive health of the girl child in the country.

She said efforts should be done to eradicate forced marriage, which according to her, tantamount to rape and causes infection, unwanted pregnancy, baby dumping, suicide and psychological depression of girls.

An official at World Health Organisation, Dr. Mamo Jawla underscored the importance of the workshop, believing that it would create awareness on the reproductive and sexual rights of the girl child. He commended GAMCOTRAP for its relentless efforts to protect the reproductive and sexual rights of children. "AS the key helpers of children in communities, I hope health workers will continue to play their role effectively," Dr. Jawla said.

Other speakers included Dr. Bubacarr Senghore. Health workers drawn from health facilities across the country attended the recent programme.

-0-

 AFET Disburses Over D700, 000

 By Pa Modou Bojang

 In collaboration with Social Development Fund (SDF), Association of Farmers, Educators and Traders (AFET) recently disbursed loan amounting to over seven hundred thousand Dalasis to various kafos across the country. Each of the 15 AFET kafos received D50, 000, which should be paid in 12 months with 15% interest.

Speaking on the occasion, the president of AFET, Manlafi Gassama described the loan as very vital, as it was in line with the government’s commitment to eradicate poverty. "We therefore expect the recipients to make the good use of the loan and pay back on time," he said. "I want the recipients to wisely invest the money so that others can also benefit from it next time."

The vice president of the association, Jonsaba Kanteh-Ceesay urged women to change their spending attitude, which is the best way to eradicate poverty in their midst.

The chief of Kombo Central, Bakary Santang Bojang who presented the cheques, warned the beneficiaries to understand that the disbursed money was meant to empower them economically. "The money was given to you for no purpose other than empowering the women, which is in line with vision 2020," he said. Chief Bojang, also a founding father of AFET, thanked the government and SDF for their efforts to eradicate poverty among Gambians.

Beneficiaries thanked SDF and AFET, promising to fully utilize the loan.

Other speakers included officials of both institutions. The programme officer of AFET, Dodou Darboe, chaired the occasion.

-0-

 MPAC Receives Dutch Support

 By Lamin Bojang

The Movement for Positive Action and Change of University of The Gambia (MPAC) recently received support in the form of new computers, cameras and other educational materials from Dutch nationals - Willy and Kommer Van Trigt.

At a presentation ceremony at the university building, the vice president of MPAC, Fatoumatta Baldeh thanked the donors for their invaluable gesture. She assured them that the items would be fully utilised.

A sociologist lecturer and admirer of MPAC, Charles Ebere described the movement as one of the most dynamic groups at the university. He said this has been manifested by the group’s successful implementation of its anti-Hiv/Aids Big Bang Campaign. Mr. Ebere urged the movement’s members to maintain hard work and dedication at all times.

On the donors, Kommer Van Trigt said the items were given to them by Hilton Hotel in Netherlands. "They were meant for distributing among institutions in The Gambia. He promised to bring more items for the movement in the near future.

The movement’s secretary general, Baboucarr Senghore who chaired the occasion, commended the donors for bringing the items at the right time. "The movement is in the process of embarking on more programmes in this December when it clocks three years," Mr. Senghore said.

-0-

BAC, Scouts Embark On Cleansing Exercise

By Njonji Drammeh

Officials of Brikama Area Council (BAC) and Scouts of Kombo Central on Saturday embarked on a massive cleansing exercise at Gambia College in Brikama.

Speaking to our reporter, the Youth Programme Office of Kombo Central Scouts Association, Maimuna Bah explained the reasons for the exercise. "It is organised primarily to make the college a mosquito-free area which is part of our contribution to national development," she said, adding that uncollected refuse invites diseases. "As a voluntary movement, the scouts most of who are young people, have taken the bull by the horns to clear the dirt. We are the cream of the nation that is why we are trying to eradicate anything that affects our development."

Ms Bah expressed delight about her movement’s fruitful collaboration with Brikama Area Council.

The Supervisor of BAC, Lang Luwa Kanteh commended the scouts for what he called their high sense of patriotism they have been demonstrating.

Similar exercise by BAC and scouts took place the following day at the main garbage collection site behind Kabafita Lower and Upper Basic Schools, Brikama.

-0-

Editorial: The World’s Biggest Threat

Is there anything that has threatened the lives of humans in the world than arms and ammunition? The answer definitely is no.

Everywhere we go we live with the fear of being trapped by gangsters, snipers or suicide bombers. The proliferation of small arms and light weapons in the world should be a cause for concern for every peace-loving human being under the sky.

Mandinkas have a better name for gun – kido that means loneliness. Gun causes loneliness in the world - it shatters or devastates communities in the world. On the other hand, no country can today maintain its sovereignty without a robust weapon and army. In our present day generation, even fathers and sons do not trust each other and fell apart, more so countries that share the same territory. Instead of fostering good neighbourliness, these sister countries keep spying on each other’s military strength. This tells us that trust only exists by name.

The most disturbing thing is that most African countries keep increasing their military spending at the expense of other key areas such as health, education or agriculture. These are the countries whose heads of governments have blatantly refused to ratify the international protocol on small arms and light weapon, which was in force several decades ago. This has given them the leverage to buy arms in abundance and even sell them to freedom fighters or rebels who kill innocent civilians. We have seen how some crook leaders in the world fanned civil wars in our sub-region simply because of their selfish interest. Some people are generally like vultures or vampires that gain during conflicts or wars. These are the real enemies of peace and stability.

Some people believe that even if we destroy all weapons, people will still use their tongues to hurt each other. This is why we are duty bound to make consolidate peace-building activities during the period of peace and stability.

We concur well with WANEP that we should build peace and solve our conflicts before they balloon or snowball into full-blown violence. We should all take it as a national duty to sensitise our people about sensitive issues such as tribal, religious or ethnic discrimination spark off flames in other countries. Any society that fails to address these issues properly is surely sitting on a ticking time bomb.

For us to develop we need to join hands together so that we can arrest the illegal proliferation of small arms and light weapons in our region. Like the Chief of Defence Staff said the porous nature of our borders aids and abets the proliferation of arms in our respective countries. We have seen how the war in Liberia has proliferated to Sierra Leone.

-0-

 Gender Issue In Poverty Reduction

 By Fatou Badjie -Ceesay

 The UN statement of commitment of the administrative committee on Coordination for Action to Eradicate Poverty defines Poverty as a denial of choices and opportunities, a violation of human dignity.

It means lack of basic capacity to participate effectively in society… It means insecurity, powerlessness and exclusion of individuals, households and communities. It means susceptibility to violence, and it often implies living on marginal and fragile environment without access to clean water and sanitation."

Poverty, while primarily identified as poverty of income, requires a number of different measures for its alleviation, let alone its eradication. We must know that to address poverty, issues of access to and affordability of education and health are aspects that must be tackled. However, with globalization and the move towards a borderless world these measures are no longer sufficient. This is because poverty is rooted to power imbalances, which are in turn rooted in gender inequality dynamics that stem from issues that cut across race, religion, status, culture, and geographical location, among others. Without addressing the different ways in which men and women are socialized and subverted, poverty is bound to remain, and manifest in a vicious cycle.

Economic development that addresses poverty can no longer be measured merely in terms of financial income. Over the years, other non-income measurements have been identified to determine economic development levels.

These include the Quality of Life Index as measured through literacy rate, infant mortality and life expectancy.

Another is the Human Development Index, which combines longevity with living standards and educational attainment.

A third measurement focuses on the Provision of Basic Needs such as adequate nutrition, primary education, health, sanitation, water supply and housing-service which the poorest segment of the population should have access to.

Finally there is the Gender-Related Development Index (GDI) which also measures life expectancy at birth, access to education and per capita product-but more importantly, focuses on the differences between men and women in these areas as a way to measure the economic status of the female population in each country.

Related to the GDL, the Gender Empowerment Measure (GEM) also measures gender inequality, but in the economic and political spheres of activity. The GEM captures gender inequality between men and women in three key areas: Political Participation and Decision-Making Power and Power Over Economic Resources, as measured by estimated earned income. A higher value indicates a higher level of gender empowerment.

Since they were launched in 1995, GDI and GEM results have shown significant progress in closing gender gaps in the last quarter of the 20th century. However, a trend analysis of the same result is not dependent on political will. UN noted that governments have made the most progress when they have been willing to put women’s concerns at the heart of their policies, and champion the necessary changes in order to achieve real progress.

If we intend to address poverty in its broader definition of "a denial of choices and opportunities, which results in disempowerment and further impoverishment," then there is a need to design economic/development plans based on indicators that measure lack of empowerment and the extent of realization of basic human rights.

The international human rights framework is designed to address discrimination and oppression that could arise from power differentials. The 1948 International Bill of Human Rights, for example serves as a reminder to all that human rights are the minimum (not the maximum) standards we should aim to achieve for all human beings in the world.

Rights and needs are intimately linked, as are economic/social rights and civil/political rights. However, with the liberal interpretation of rights came the tendency to consider some rights to be more important than others. This practice of selecting and prioritising rights in a hierarchy for implementation continues within and among nations, despite the fact that the 1993 Vienna World Conference On Human Rights held at the end of the cold war, had endorsed the principles of universality and indivisibility among the different kinds of rights-meaning that rights are to be applied equally to all persons and one type of right (e.g. right to clean water) is not to be regarded as more important than another (e.g. right to freedom of opinion and expression).

The separation of rights is counterproductive, especially when seen through to a "gender lens." It is necessary to go beyond the idea (and practice) that right and needs are opposing policy options- there cannot be one set of rights for women within the household and in her personnel life, and a different set of rights for the larger society.

Using a "gender lens" requires the State and others analyse the situation as to how it affects women and men differently. A situation of poverty for a community does not mean that all individuals in a community suffer the impact of poverty and its vicious cycle in the same manner and degree. Women, more than men, bear the brunt of poverty.

Seeing poverty through a "gender lens" The gender lens is living a pair of spectacles that allows the viewer to see both the forest and the trees. This means the individual not only understands the big picture but also understands how the big picture came about-viewing all social phenomena from a gender perspective, probing to hierarchical, unequal and unjust relations between men and women in an individual level, this requires a consciousness that continuously challenges socially accepted roles of women and men which directly or indirectly result in harmful health practices or secondary/minor roles for women.

Poverty is multidimensional. It relates to aspects that are economic (income, work, ownership of asserts, credit etc.), human (health education), political (power, right vote), and socio cultural (status, dignity social exclusion), which have an impact on the individual’s protection (against insecurity, risks and vulnerability) and overall well-being and integrity.

Reducing the gender gap in education is very important because cultural tendencies favour boys over girls.

Left unchecked, the conscious or unconscious promotion of stereotypes will ensure gender inequalities to persist in the next generations, which will in turn perpetuate existing power imbalances between men and women, keeping women in subordinated and oppressed roles.

On the economic front, actual figures show that in most countries, women actually do twice as much unpaid work as men amounting to 10-35% of the global Gross Domestic Product (GDP) - and work longer hours than men. Women bear an average of 53% of the burden of paid and unpaid work in developing countries, and 51% in industrialized countries. Roughly 66% of women’s work burden is expended on unpaid activities.

For men, the reverse is true where unpaid Labour makes up only 25%.

The significant contribution woman’s paid and unpaid work to global production continues to remain invisible today in indicators that we use in economic development planning. This is one of the reasons why poor women are often seen as ‘mere housewives’ rather that as bread winners. Looking through the "gender lens" it is quite easy to "shatter the myth that men are the main bread winners of the world", as it allow us to fully acknowledge the value of women’s unpaid work and women’s work hours.

This paper was presented at the 10th AWID international forum on Women’s Right and Development in Bangkok, Thailand.

-0-

 "Jesus said, if you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32 Article 264

Test and Trials Part One

 By G. Goree Ndiaye

 "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him." (James 1:12)

Whether they are of your own making or seem to appear from nowhere without the slightest warning, or worst still whether it is someone who decides to put you through hell (on earth), trials will come your way and sometimes they can literally knock you off our feet. What should be your attitude when they knock on your door? Would you faint? Would you give up on life, and say to hell with it or would you carry the load on your shoulders - suffering and smiling? Let us take a look at how some biblical characters braved through tests and trials for answers.

Tests and trials have become a common phenomenon in our day. No matter how much you try to dodge, they’ll end up on your doorstep - though unwelcome. Our Lord Jesus warned us about them when He said; "I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

Actually, what we must understand here is that no one is totally free from trouble. It comes in diverse forms. What really matters is how we receive them. In the Old Testament, Joseph the son of Jacob, did not have to look very far before trouble stared him in the face. His trials did not come from people with whom he was at loggerheads, nor was it his enemies who made life unbearable for him. Opposition came from within his own kit and kin. When his brothers did not take kindly to his boasts, they sought ways of getting rid of him. Sounds familiar?

"Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers they hated him all the more. He said to them, ‘Listen to this dream I had: We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.’ " (Genesis 37:5) That was what sparked it all - the beginning of his trials. His elder brothers wanted to be certain about what he meant and asked; "Do you intend to reign over us? Will you actually rule us?" (Genesis 37:8) Could you be serious? But Joseph went on and on. "Listen he said; ‘I had another dream, and this time the sun and moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me.’ " (Genesis 37:9) The matter reached the ears of his parents and they wondered. "What is this dream you had? Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow down to the ground before you?" (Genesis 37:10)

Under normal circumstances Joseph’s family should have been happy for him and his dream. Unfortunately, jealousy blinded his brothers and pushed them to scheme for his downfall. In their anger they would have killed him. But for the wise counsel of one of them, they ended selling him into slavery – all because of what he said and the dream he shared. His only fault was that he blew his trumpet a bit too loud. You see dear reader, people will judge your noble intentions and declarations or some rather seemingly harmless utterances. Your ambitions, desires and wishes could get you into deep trouble all because you shared them with a relative or friend. Let’s look at it this way, if Joseph was not safe in his own household where else could it have been safer?

It would appear that Joseph’s tests and trials were of his own making. By predicting he was going to lord it over his brothers he had earned their displeasure. They did not like it one bit. Nevertheless, he went on to fulfil his dream and none of the impediments put in his way could hinder the process. "Consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking nothing." (James 1:2-4)

Joseph’s dream was a divine revelation of his future as the account revealed. However no single event along the way pointed to its realisation or accomplishment. Even though God says in His Word that He will never leave us nor forsake us, (Deuteronomy 31:6) Joseph’s circumstances were the opposite of what should have happened if his dream was to mature. From slavery he had to languish in prison under false accusation making his dream all the more improbable. Yet it was part of God’s plan that it should happen that way. When it is least probable for us that is when it becomes possible for God.

Nelson Mandela was imprisoned and exiled for the most part of his life and at the height of his youth for opposing apartheid and for being politically active. By confining him to Robben Island the authorities thought they had nailed him for good. He later walked out of prison triumphant - to bear the mantle of the first African President of South Africa and to lead his people into independence. It is not always that we see God’s hand in the processes in our lives but afflictions come to better prepare us for the task ahead.

So do not despair, do not worry and do not fret when trials come your way or seem to overwhelm you. You are in the moulding and refining process for better things to come.

"Sanctify them by the truth, your word is truth." (John 17:17)

-0-

Double Mind II

 By Fatoumata Ali Garba

He is someone who does not like to fail. He also says that where Jessica is concern, things just work themselves out.

"Jessica, it is exactly a year since I set eyes on your lovely self, so let’s celebrate our anniversary. Let’s go to town and paint it red," he told her. He had made some good money earlier that week, so he got a taxi and came over to her place to pick her up.

"I don’t think I can do this. I have not taken my bath yet and my hair is not done either," was her excuse. Hope filled his stomach like bright shiny butterflies. This was going to be easy, as it is tricky. But he reminded himself throughout.

"I have always told you, you do not need make-up or any of those things splash on women’s bodies to look good. All you need is splash some perfume on your body and we can be on our way. And I have just the right perfume for you as a first year anniversary present," he said.

When destiny begins to unravel itself, there is no one who will be able to change things or stand in its way. The smiles on Jessica’s face told him that fate was going to swing this one on his way.

"Don’t ever give up, Andry? I have heard your close friends say you are mad." It was not an insult and he had never heard her express herself like that. This also assured him that he was closer to his objective than ever before. "Let me tell the taxi driver that you will not take long." He needed to get out, if only for a moment, to celebrate.

They went to the hotel in town that evening. He was loaded and he could afford the payment.

"Thank you" were the two words she spoke. And as if on cue, she promptly broke down and cried. He got close to her and held her in his arms while he tried to comfort her. He felt that it would be better if they talked. He was right. Jessica had been waiting to pour out her fear to someone she trusted. He let her talk all she desired.

"When David died, I thought that I would never be able to find a replacement for him. He was so patient, so caring, so concerned. I am someone who is easily liked by the men folk. As a matter of fact, I do not have female friends. It would not have been difficult for me to have another man in my life. But no one of them could fit into my David’s shoes.

"I thought I would die, that was my destiny and I decided to fold my hands and waited. Wait for that day when I would return to the earth from where I emerged. Then you came along. I want you to know that no one, living or dead has ever loved me the way you have. Andry, if you decide to walk out that door and leave me today, I will feel fulfilled. Thank you. I love you too."

The effect of her words was so strong on him that he could not say a word for a long time after she had spoken.

If you time long enough and do the right thing, any woman will date you even if she has vowed not to do so.

Jessica felt asleep in his arms. She had talked all day and it was as if fate had brought them together after they had searched for each other for a very long time. He was a very happy man. In the one year that he had to wait for Jessica to take proper note of him, he discovered that she was the woman who would bear his children and give his parents pure joy.

He wasted no time in taking her home. "You have finally done the right thing," his mother said to him. Everyone at his home was happy to see Jessica, even his younger sister who had never been favourably dispersed to the women he had occasionally brought home, said, "you have got the right one this time." That made him very happy. That happiness came to an abrupt end when he spotted Georgina. At the back of his mind, he kept on telling himself that this would be easy. He would rush in and rush out like a Casanova who knows his onions. All his friends have kept two or more girlfriends at a time. He told himself that if someone as dumb as Ken could swing something like that, he could do better. Ken can be dump in other things in life but he is the bomb! When it comes to double dating women. Perhaps he should have gone to him for lessons before he embarked on something as dangerous as two timing. To his surprise, he met Georgia in Ken’s house wearing one of his shirts.

"Can somebody explain what is the meaning of this?"

"This is nothing Andry, it is just to refresh ourselves," Ken said it boldly. As for Georgina she became dumb, as she had nothing to say. Andry returned home with heartbreak. After everything he did for Georgina she had decided to cheat on him.

He was still with Jessica until one day she called him. "Andry, I’m pregnant, I’m old enough to get married. I have always been scared of abortion; you can afford to start a family. So why don’t we just get married?" That is exactly how Jessica broke the news of her pregnancy to him. "I don’t want to die," she tells him. "Nobody is going to die here," he told her. "Will you marry me Jessica, will you be my wife, the mother of my children?" he had asked her. "Yes, I will marry you Andry," was the final answer.

-0-

 -0-

PORTRAIT - A Businessman With A Difference

Ibrahima Diallo is our guest in this interview. Though a Guinean, Diallo’s love for The Gambia and its peoples are no secrets. He is a rare businessman in his generation who is constantly surfing the net to know what happens in the world, in particular The Gambia. Diallo recently flew to The Gambia. In this interview with our Editor-In-Chief, Musa Saidykhan, Diallo spoke his mind.

Tell us who Ibrahima Diallo is?

I am a Guinean businessman aged 35. I was born in Labe, a predominantly Fula community. It is not the second capital in Guinea but it is well developed. But I have been and still doing business in the capital, Conakry.

What sort of business are you involved in?

I sell building materials and I am working on plans to extend to The Gambia. The security of the place motivated me. We hear of occasional burglaries but I believe The Gambia is still a safe place to invest.

Are you married?

Yes I’m. I am blessed with three children – two girls and a boy.

Why do you like journalism because you have always been glued to the net, trying to read news?

The fact is that I have never practiced or learnt anything about the journalism profession. But I like the profession and journalists who respect the ethics of journalism. I have been keenly following developments in the world, in particular, The Gambia through journalists. I definitely like journalists, especially those at The Independent Newspaper. You guys are doing your best. That was why I felt so bad when the paper went through printing hiccups. I must thank Allah that the paper is still surviving, although the road is rough or bumpy.

How do you call yourself – Guinean or Gambian?

I would prefer to be called a citizen of both countries because both countries matter a lot to me. You will be surprise to know that I read Gambian news first before I delve into Guinea affairs. It has become my habit to surf the Internet and read Gambian news, especially The Independent to read the updates. I love countries’ peoples, cultures and their everything. The Gambia is my home and I’m planning to construct a building there in future. I have relatives here as well.

Why is The Gambia so special to you? Is it because you have interest in the country to defend?

I like The Gambia simply because its people are very peace loving, kind and accommodating. The Gambia’s stable atmosphere makes business people to easily progress. I think Gambians should be proud of this.

Conakry is a very interesting capital where Fulas almost owns all the lofty buildings. Does it mean they are the hardest working tribe?

It’s not a matter of blowing our own trumpet but Fulas are generally very hardworking people. Whether they find themselves in the space or earth does not matter to them. They strive hard to work under whatever difficult circumstances. So they must make money. There is no other secret. Through their hard work, a lot of Fulas becomes rich, which is why they erect a lot of lofty buildings in the capital and else where in the country.

How do you become so fluent in English?

I have learnt English language, although I have not gone that far. But I have been able to speak, read and write. The importance of the language motivates me to learn it and master it.

Can you tell me the political culture in Guinea?

Guineans are not that politically conscious because they believe that everyone is part of the same family. Politics does not fan violence in my country. Most of the people believe that it is a game for people who are interested in it. Sometimes this affects the people because it gives the government the leverage to do whatever the want to do politically. Generally, Guineans are law-abiding people.

With all the natural resources at its disposal Guinean currency has the lowest value in the sub-region? Would you elaborate the reasons?

The simple answer is mismanagement of the resources. You know having a lot of resources and effectively managing the resources are totally different. Due to high level of this trend, Guinean Franc is at the lowest ebb. This of course, has a lot of adverse effect on the government and citizens.

So many private papers submerged in Guinea. Is it correct to call them submarine papers?

They can be called submarine papers. But high illiteracy culture in the country negatively impinges on the reading culture. We are different from The Gambia where the reading culture is high. And instead of buying papers, most Guineans prefer to buy something to eat. In short, most Guineans believe in what you guys call radio kankang – rumour.

As a keen reader of Gambian media developments, can you candidly inform us about your assessment?

I respect and admire the editorial content of Gambian private media. Your talents are abounded but the main problem of Gambian journalists is poor conditions of service lack of training. If you have journalism training institute and good conditions of service, The Gambia will have the best journalists in the sub-region. I also respect the local press union for its uncompromisingly defending journalists and press freedom.

The border impasse between The Gambia and Senegal has almost paralyzed business in Guinea. Is that correct?

The impasse was too serious for all the countries in our region – Senegal, The Gambia, Mali and Guinea. It has not necessarily affected or blocked business in the whole of Guinea. But it has left its mark on Labe region that has 75% of its goods from The Gambia. Due to diversity of its market, Conakry did not suffer at all because businesspeople in this region get their goods from many places – Dubai, China and else where directly.

What is your stake on regional integration?

I support it 100% because of closeness. We are the same people. So we should tighten our relations and avoid seeing each other as Franco-phone or Anglo-phone citizens. Looking at The Gambia and Senegal, I find it difficult to spot out the differences – people in these countries have shared everything in common. Let’s see ourselves as Africans and people of the same origin.

Business is Guinea and The Gambia is booming. Can the two countries be compared?

Impossible! It’s impossible to compare the two countries in this sector. Guinean market is ten times more than that of The Gambia. Countries such as Cape Verde, Mali, Senegal, Sierra Leone, among others buy their goods from Conakry. However, Gambian goods are sometimes cheaper which gives its market advantage. Too many customs taxes affect price of goods in Guinea. Like The Gambia, Guinean port is business-friendly, which is why most Malian goods dock there.

What would you tell Guineans in The Gambia?

Let them respect the laws of The Gambia at all times. They should know that as ambassadors, they are not supposed to be involved in criminal activities.

-0-

Gambians Elected In Uzofoot

 By Namory Trawally

Despite the unimpressive performance of The Gambia U-23 team in the just concluded Zone II tournament in Guinea Conakry, the Gambian delegation returned with flying colours as two of its members were elected in the Zone II Football Union (Uzofoot) committees.

In the congress held a day before the final of the 18th edition of the bi –annual event, the Gambia Football Association (GFA) secretary general Mr. Jammeh EK Bojang was elected chairman of the finance committee while the Gambia Sports Journalists Association (GSJA) social secretary Mr. Moses Nden was vice-chairman of the press committee.

Mr. Bojang election as chairman of the finance committee is the result of his contribution to the success of the tournament just ended.

Senegalese FA president Mr. Bounama Dičye leads the new Uzofoot executive committee, Mr. Jose Medina Lobato of Guinea Bissau is the vice-chairman, and Mr. Tolno S. Tessema of Guinea Conakry is the secretary general while Mr. Yankuba Traoré of Mali is the chairman of the organizing committee.

Commenting on his appointment as Uzofoot press committee vice-chairman, Mr. Nden dedicated his election to the executive and members of GJSA. Mr. Nden is a founding and executive member of GJSA for the past seven years.

President’s Baton Relay In The Offing

The Gambia National Olympic Committee (GNOC) is on the verge of organizing an annual relay called "President’s Baton Relay for Peace."

The proposed relay, if agree on in a meeting to be held tomorrow at the GNOC office, will take the same form as the Commonwealth Games Baton Relay. According to GNOC executive secretary Mr. George F. Gomez, the relay will be held for the first time during the Independence Anniversary periods in February 2006. " The President will be launching the first edition at the July 22nd Square and companies will take turn to run with the baton for a given time. The relays will each year have Peace related theme. For the first edition the theme will be ‘Preserve Peace for Gambia’s Economic Growth’," Mr. Gomez indicated.

Meanwhile, the GNOC will be awarding certificates to the organizing committee of the Queen’s Baton Relay at its office tomorrow Tuesday.

Stuttgart FC Changes Name

The Serrekunda West second division outfit, Stuttgart FC have changed their name to Ham-Ham FC. The team, which was managed by the Serrekunda West Sports Organisation, is now taken over by Sulayman Sowe a Gambian based in Oslo, Norway and proprietor of Gambia International Fitness Training Services (GIFTS) in Kanifing.

According to Mr. Alieu Jeng, a member of the team executive committee, Sulayman Sowe always wanted to have a team in The Gambia. "He and his partners wanted to form a team but then the idea of taking over Stuttgart came up. They realized that it would be easier for them to incorporate the team. The team is now fully taken care of by Sulayman Sowe," he pointed out.

The team will still be coached by Ebrima Joof alias Lucky a former player of Real de Banjul who will be assisted by the former Gambian national team and Wallidan goalkeeper George Lobba.

The team will be used as a breeding team for young Gambian players for possible professional carrier in Europe particularly in Norway.

The team started pre-season training last Monday at the Serrekunda West mini-stadium with the sole ambition of getting to the first division next season. At the end of the pre-season training twenty-five players will be selected to defend the colours of the club.

The team officials also hope to sign some top players from both the first and second division teams including some under-17 players who will be later linked to clubs in Norway.

Mr. Sulayman Sowe was the man behind the signing of the three national Under-17 and Gambia Ports Authority FC players namely twin brothers Sanna and Sainey Nyassi as well as Tijan Jaiteh. The three will be sent to Brann FC, a first division team in Norway.

-0-

 UTG Receives Sports Equipment

 By Ousman Baldeh

The University of The Gambia, last Wednesday, received sports equipments from Mr. Loek Struick, a Hollandaise, as part of his contribution to the development of sports in the institution.

Speaking at the University faculty building in Kanifing, Mr. Loek Struick said the donation is meant to motive university students to consider sports as one of the most important component in life. " I am calling on all students to be involved in sports. I personally have been involved in volleyball in the Netherlands for the past 50 years. I find it extremely useful to assist university students in The Gambia. I want to assure you that I will do my utmost best for this to continue," he said.

Receiving the materials on behave on the students, Mr. Thomas Kojo Quayason assured the donor that the items would be put in good use. "The university is very grateful for the generous gift and even female students will form teams in the near future," he said.

Nan and Peter Boudewijins witnessed the presentation ceremony.

The donation items include volleyballs, basketball, footballs, jerseys and volleyball nets. Mr. Struick is on his fourth visit in the country and has been donating different materials to schools in the Greater Banjul Area.

-0-

 Gov’t Committed To Gender Equality

 By Fatou Badjie-Ceesay

FThe Attorney General and Secretary of State for Justice, Sheikh Tijan Hydara has expressed government’s commitment to eliminate all forms of violence against girls and women.

Addressing the 16 days activism against gender-based violence on behalf of the Vice President at the Kairaba Beach Hotel, SoS Hydara said the government has and continues to formulate and implement policies and programmes for the purpose of achieving gender equality. "The ratification of the National Policy for the Advancement of Girls and Women currently being implemented under the co-ordination of the Women’s Bureau and Council is a clear indication of that commitment," he said. According to the Attorney General, the launching, which coincides with the entry into force of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa is an essential step towards the recognition of Women’s Right in Africa.

The vice president of Voice of the Young, Ms. Satang Nabaneh said the children want a protective environment in which they can grow up to adulthood in happiness, love, respect and security. "We want child-friendly, girl sensitive schools where both boys and girls can learn without fear of assault, harassment or sexual intimidation. We earnestly request the Education Department to ensure the full implementation of the sexual harassment policy. We humbly request the government to enforce the provisions of the children’s Act 2005. Merely showing moral outrage is not enough," she vehemently stated.

-0-

GPU Prioritizes Training

 By Buya Jammeh

Lack of a journalism institute of in the country has forced Gambia Press Union (GPU) to look for alternative solutions to address the training needs of Gambian journalists.

In collaboration with partners – National Commission for UNESCO (NATCOM), GRTS and University of The Gambia, GPU began three-months advance course for local journalists. The training, which is being conducted at GRTS news building, is the third of its kind.

Addressing the inauguration ceremony of the course, GPU President, Madi Ceesay maintained that training ranks high on his institution’s agenda, which is why they are doing everything under the hot sun to provide training. "It’s our conviction that organising training workshops for journalists is not enough. We believe that if journalists have been professionally trained, there would not be any room for repressive laws," he said, adding that the onus lies on the government to create room for journalists instead of formulating harsh media laws. Mr. Ceesay therefore called on the government to incorporate journalism in the university curriculum.

He finally thanked their partners and all those who made the course a reality.

The course Coordinator and Administrator of GPU, Demba Jawo said, "Actually, it is our intention to hand over the training centre to the University of The Gambia." Jawo added that sustainability of the course is very challenging.

The Secretary General of NATCOM, Sukai Mbye-Bojang said the first two trainings have yielded positive results. She said the media training is among the numerous contributions her institution has been doing towards development of journalism in the country. She advised participants to take the course seriously so that it would reduce criticisms levelled against journalists.

Serign Faye, Acting GRTS Director told the gathering that there could not be any business in this noble profession without basic skills, which are acquired through training.

The Chairman of the Media Training Committee, Assan Faal chairman the ceremony.

-0-

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤