Senior Police Officer Indicted

Full of rage, a native of Kerr Katim in Niamina West, Alhagie Madi Ceesay walked to our offices to throw punches at the Station Officer at Jareng Police Station, Modou Sanneh for illegally arresting and detaining him.

"Following a confrontation with the police that the Station Officer must compensate us for slaughtering our goat without our approval, he ordered for my arrest and detention," he said, disclosing that the SO has no legal justification to slaughter a goat whose ownership is being contested at the court.

"I should appear before the court on the 24th January 2006 but before that I want to ask the SoS for Interior and the Inspector General of Police whether it is a crime for one to make inquiries about his/her belonging at the police," he angrily stated. "This matter is before travelling Magistrate Baldeh but the SO, Modou Sanneh went ahead to slaughter the goat and share the meat. He admitted killing the goat," Alhagie Madi Ceesay said.

"It so happened that we found a goat among our goats in July. We made declaration in the neighbouring villages but nobody claimed to be the owner. Few days later, one Abdul Bah of Nanna Peul in Niamina West came to enquire about his lost goat. He could not identify his goat among our flock," he said.

He said Mr. Bah however later emerged claiming that one of the she-goats of Neffu Ceesay was his. "Mr. Bah reported the matter to Jareng Police who ordered the Alkalo of Kerr Katim, Majabou Ceesay to ask Neffu and her husband to report to the police with the two goats. We reported there but were asked to report back the following day. I asked Neffu Ceesay to surrender her ID card and that of her husband to the police so that we could go with the goats because I was concerned about their feeding. But the SO told me that the matter is going to the court."

The matter, he said, was presided over by Magistrate Baldeh last November. "He heard testimonies of both parties and adjourned the case for ruling. To our surprise, Sanneh slaughtered our goat before the ruling. We are yet to know the whereabouts of the other goat. Upon inquiries, he admitted slaughtering the goat that gave birth to twins under police custody. He threatened me with arrest when I insisted that we needed compensation. In fact, another police officer, Gibba said there would not be any compensation. And when I confronted them, Sanneh ordered for my arrest and detention."

The Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Aziz Bojang described the story as news to him. "I am not the least aware of it but I think you know what to do, that is to contact the other side of the story."

However, when the Jareng Police was contacted, the Station Officer was said to have gone out of office.

-0-

 GPU Rebuffs Observer Editorial

 The Gambia Press Union has strongly rebuffed the Daily Observer editorial of Tuesday 27th December 2005, describing the content as unfortunate, baseless and unfounded.

According to a rejoinder signed by the president, Madi Ceesay, the thread that runs through the said editorial is that journalists in The Gambia seem to be provoking conflicts and that conflicts make the position of journalists precarious. "This is a total misconception of the stand of the GPU and the media fraternity and it is completely at variance with the reality. One thing which must be clearly noted is that we are not in a war zone, yet our journalists continue to face harassment, media houses experience arson attacks and worst of all a journalist was killed in cold blood. The culprits have not been brought to book in all these cases. The principal concern of the media fraternity is that impunity still sticks out its ugly head and it must be nipped in the bud. That’s all we want. Nothing more. We cannot therefore take the death of Deyda "in the general context of the profession and the risks involved" as the Daily Observer wants us to do. The death of Deyda is very dear to us to be considered as a mere passing event. Journalism will continue to be a risky profession in The Gambia so long as impunity is allowed to continue," the rejoinder reads.

The GPU strongly stated that no march or demonstration was organised by the GPU or any institution as outlined in the editorial. "Nonetheless, what is wrong in having a demonstration or a march in remembrance of a journalist who stood for freedom of expression? In fact, what is actually wrong is the killing of Deyda Hydara, not any march or demonstration or laying of wreath in remembrance of him."

The Union said there was a definite plan to lay a wreath at the spot where Deyda was killed. "How this can provoke anybody other than the murderers of Deyda remains to be seen. The laying of a wreath is simply a mark of honour and remembrance of a loved one who has fallen, irrespective of the religion one belongs to," it added, indicating that the Daily Observer may soon advise government not to lay wreaths for fallen soldiers on Remembrance Day since not all of them are Christians. The rejoinder described the editorial’s indication that Gambian journalists must realise that they are not above the law and that GPU must not be seen to be encouraging journalists to break the law and disobey the forces of law and order as a terrible distortion of reality.

The rejoinder question what the editorial means by stating, "stability and security cannot be compromised." "Who is undermining the stability and security of The Gambia other than arsonists and murderers who pounce on lawful citizens performing their professional work?" it asked. "The Daily Observer is advised to be careful of what it writes lest it is seen as a collaborator of murderers and arsonists who have no regard for the peace and stability of The Gambia."

-0-

 Editorial: Welcome 2006

As we have already entered the 2006, we thought it prudent to pen down some of the major things our paper had gone through.

Like many past years, 2005 had also become yet another challenging and painstaking year for us. While we were tamed with arson attacks in 2003 and 2004, our enemies used the printing censorship to throw us from business in 2005. But as the saying goes: man proposes, God disposes. Believing in predestination, we were not the least intimidated by the plot of our fellow human.

Without our bravery and commitment to serve the interest of our people, The Independent would have been ditched forever because local printers refused to print our paper, which threw us from newspaper market for one full month. The May blackout is undoubtedly one of our biggest hiccup or blight in history, as it forced us to change the format of our widely read paper. This is why The Independent is printed on A4. With this format, our enemies thought their dreams were waiting to be fulfilled. However, this was far from happening, as our product remains a hot cake in the market.

We thank Allah for giving us the energy to remain alive and kicking.

Throughout 2005, security forces pounced on our staff five times. We had also catalogued mountains of verbal and legal threats from people we have not share ideology.

We have also registered significant progress during the past year. The staff of the company got the opportunity to travel overseas for journalism courses. It was also in 2005 that two of our staff – Sulayman Makalo and Sanna Camara – travelled overseas for short journalism courses. Our proprietors also added more feathers on their cap. While our Chief Executive Officer, Baba Galleh Jallow authored his third book – Anatomy of Powercracy, the company’s Managing Editor, Alagi Yorro Jallow also won the international award for press freedom in Canada.

Consequently, one of our reporters, Alieu Darboe was awarded the best sports journalist in Western Division.

Perhaps, our biggest achievement was the company’s employees’ undivided commitment, determination and firmness in not only practising press freedom and expression but also champion it to the fullest. Of course, maintaining our hard-earned credibility, confidentiality and trust with the public was also another landmark achievement.

As we enter the 2006 in peace, stability and tranquillity, we wish our esteemed readers, partners, advertisers, professional colleagues and the entire public a belated and prosperous 2006. It is our fervent hope that The Gambia, particularly the media will enjoy unconditional freedom and security in 2006. May Allah guide and protect us from evil forces such as the killers, arsonists and kidnappers within our midst.

-0-

 "Media’s Role Is Crucial"

 By Lamin Njie

The Assistant Director of National Population Secretariat, Saikou Trawally has said that the media’s role is crucial in communicating the principles, goals and strategies of the revised population policy for the country.

Addressing a workshop to reactivate the network of journalists on population and development at Manjai Lodge on Thursday, Mr. Trawally said the media will be a vital platform for civil society to monitor and evaluate the progress they are making. "There should be the scope to publish the aspirations, fears and hopes of our people on the full range of population and development issues," he said, adding that while there are many channels on the satellite, media coverage on population and related issues has been very much limited. "Media coverage particularly print media has always been marked by sensational stories that always bear the hallmark of explosive media charade."

According to Mr. Trawally, media being the vehicle for economic and social change has great potentials for dissemination of information, removing prejudices and stereotypes and most importantly, accelerating and understanding population and development issues. "The media is one of the major vehicles that can prepare significant sectors of our society for the implementations of the proposed population policy." This, he said, can be done by creatively focusing on the important inter-linkages between population and social, economic and environmental development, as well as their implication for a multi-sectoral approach in addressing the multi-faceted population concerns within the context of the national development strategy. "It is only through close collaboration among all government departments supported by the private sector and various organisations of civil society that we will succeed in making practical the promise of the population policy".

-0-

Mecca Swings Into Action

By Ahmed B Saidybah

As a follow up measure to facilitate the smooth running of the world’s biggest religious gathering, Mecca Municipality has employed 23, 100 workers to cater services to more than two million Muslim pilgrims to perform the annual pilgrimage that kicks off soon.

The Mayor of Mecca Municipal Corporation, Khalid Hamza Nahas told IslamOnlie that the labour force of 7,200 - including supervisors, foremen, drivers and sweepers, had been working round the clock since December 13. A fleet of 654 garbage trucks along with auto vacuum and broom cleaners had been sprung into service with over 200 electronically operated compressor garbage storage tanks placed in the holy city.

Mina has 131 ground garbage storage tanks and 900 electronically operated portable garbage storage tanks. All these tanks have a total capacity of storing 13,950 tonnes of garbage.

Khalid said in the Jamrat area, a place of heavy congestion where pilgrims will perform the stoning rituals, symbolizing the stoning of satin, will be kept clean by auto vacuum sweepers with garbage to be lifted round the clock by small tractors and filled-in small trucks.

The municipality has further allowed 1, 200 chairs for barbers close to Jamrat for pilgrims wishing to cut or shave their hair after completing the stoning rituals.

Pilgrimage consists of several ceremonies, which are meant to symbolize the essential concepts of the Islamic faith and to commemorate the trials of Prophet Abraham and his family.

Despite the convergence of the large number of pilgrims, Meccan officials are determined to keep the holy city from being infected by insect-borne diseases, as 26 mobile teams provided with insecticides move round the clock to counter such. Officials also clean the holy sites of Mina, Muzdalifah and Arafat, where pilgrims would spend five days and nights performing various rites.

Amid fears of global spread of bird flu, Saudi authorities are also tightening health checks, with the Health Minister, Hamed Al-Manae confirming 622, 000 arriving pilgrims were clear of any virus or illness.  "Anyone found to have an illness is sent back to his country immediately," he said, adding the kingdom had beefed up health checks at arrival points around the country. He said the kingdom has spent US$6.7 million to treat and prevent flu ahead of the hajj season, especially among those in contact with birds.

Each year, about 2.5 million Muslims from 160 countries perform one of the world’s biggest religious gatherings. Most of the pilgrims come from Asia where the deadly H5N1 form of bird flu has killed more than 70 people since 2003.

-0-

Cultural Depletion Disturbs Gov’t Official

 By Ansumana Darboe

 The Deputy Permanent Secretary at the Department of State for Health and Social Welfare, Alhagie Omar Taal, was disturbed about the depletion of typical African cultural values and norms.

Addressing the inaugural ceremony of The Association for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (TAPEA) at Corinthia Atlantic Hotel in Banjul, Mr. Taal questioned why the rich African cultural values and norms give way to alien ones in our society. He said the saddest thing is that the alien values and norms do not hasten to shun and relegate the elderly to a space characterised by helplessness and abandonment. Taal added that elder abuse is a phenomenon that is beginning to rear its obnoxious being within our society. "The complex nature in dealing with elder abuse depends on a cultural willingness to accept the problem. Recognition and identification of cases of elder abuse is a major task. Victims reluctant to report is also an issue of concern in many forms of domestic violence and abuse in institutional care setting," he said.

Mr. Taal commended TAPEA for taking a bold step to sensitise the public about elder abuse and prevention. The president of the newly launched association, Priscilla Jones described elder abuse as a serious problem across the globe that is still under acknowledged and reported. She said in Africa, older people are increasingly at risk of physical violence related to cultural beliefs and accusations of witchcraft. "We tend to associate old age with witchcraft," she said.

-0-

Boost For Yiriwa Health Programme

 The Brikama community and surroundings have commended the Health talk show on the Yiriwa Development Radio Station (YDRS) in Brikama for being educative and encouraging.

According to residents, the programme aired thrice a week on 104.7 is gaining momentum. One Jonsaba Jaiteh of Brikama Sanchaba said: "the programme helps us to know more about our health and other health related issues in the country and even outside. I think the programme producer and presenter Alieu Darboe should be commended. I definitely applaud the management and staff of the radio for initiating important programmes for the community."

On his part, YDRS ambassador Ba Kawsu Jaiteh said health is one of the fundamental tools in human lives. "The programmes always create a room for understanding on health issues especially at the community level. We are grateful to Mr. Darboe who is doing everything possible to promote the programme for the benefit of the community," he said.

Alagie Ceesay a resident of Tubakuta also said the programme focuses on tropical diseases like Malaria, Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Hiv/Aids, Polio, public health and the most interestingly on the role of the community to attain good health.

Reacting to the view of the public Mr. Alieu Darboe said the importance of the programme couldn’t be over emphasized, as it is a way of bringing health to his people. "The only way to sustain the show is to have sponsorship from institutions, NGOs, government and international agencies responsible for health matters in the country. We need sponsors," he stressed.

-0-

 Sukuta Gets Life-Saving Unit

 By Pa Modou Secka

 The Medical Director of Lamtoro Clinic, Dr. Hassan Azadeh recently set up a life-saving maternity unit at Sukuta Health Centre (SHC).

The unit, which include a 14-bed maternity ward, rooms for sterilising, nursing, modern showers and toilet facilities, was financed by British Caledonian (BCAL) and other leading international organisations that donate and transport medical equipment from London.

The Chairman of BCAL, Sir Adam Thomson who visited the unit expressed satisfaction about the project, describing it as a successful self-help scheme. "It is a great achievement for everyone involved," Sir Thomson said, after touring the premises. Accompanied by Lyn Jenkins, BCAL Manager, Mr. Thomson visited maternal health facilities.

Dr. Azadeh, also a gynaecologist obstetrician, thanked BCAL for their support. He said the unit is like manna from heaven because it enables healthy and excellent delivery of babies in the area. "I wish this type of project is initiated in many parts of Africa, not only The Gambia. People in other Gambian villages have already asked me to start self-help projects for them," he said, disclosing that the establishment of such projects is already under way.

Dr. Azadeh said the importance of such projects cannot be overemphasised in developing countries where infant and maternal mortality rates are extremely high. "Developing countries record 600 deaths per 100, 000 live births while Britain and North America register ten deaths per 100, 000 births," he said, adding that with the proliferation of well-equipped maternal units in the country, The Gambia would be able to contain high mortality rates in the rural areas where health care services are inadequate. "In these places, most women give birth at home," he said.

-0-

 Re: Telephone Blackout In CRD

 I hereby refer to your story dated 27-12-05,concerning the above stated subject, together with my photo. I want to make it abundantly clear that I do not have the faintest idea of what the whole story is about. Never ever has any body contacted me on this issue. Therefore I would like to disassociate myself from the whole thing. It’s improper and unfair for my photo to have been placed along side the story, as if the information came from me. This can be very much misleading. Please rectify the situation for the consumption of the public.

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.

Mr. Amadou Touray (PRO)

Editor’s Note:

As the mouthpiece of a public company, there is nothing wrong in using your picture with a story that concerns your institution. That is ethical everywhere. We would have wronged you if you were not the mouthpiece of Gamtel or public figure.

You will be surprised to know that we have made frantic efforts to get quotes from you to no avail. We knew even if you were available, you would prefer no comment. But now that the story is published, what is stopping you from clearing the air because the public wants to hear the truth surrounding the story.

The experience we have with people of your type is that hardly they complain when we use their pictures with positive stories. But as soon as they saw their picture with a negative story, they develop fury.

We tend to believe that constant pressure forces such people to write rejoinders. But using your picture does not mean you speak to us.

The fact is that civil or public servants in the present system need the private media for one thing: promotion campaign. And as soon as that objective is achieved, nobody wants to associate yourself with private journalists. We have been victim of such on several occasions.

-0-

New Year Message 2006

 Dr. S. Tilewa Johnson, Bishop of Gambia and Dean of the Province West Africa

 Dear Reader,

As we enter another New Year, it must be our prayer that this year will be a better one than last year. Although this is the case, there was also much to be thankful for last year. We give thanks to God for the blessings of 2005, and that we have lived to see in 2006.

The outgoing year -from the day after Christmas 2004 to the present -was marred by one disaster after another: both man-made and "natural". On the morning after Christmas Day 2004, we were horrified by the news of the tsunami in South East Asia. As this news unfolded over the following days and weeks, the extent of the disaster went beyond our comprehension. The immediate loss of life and the massive task of rebuilding lives and livelihoods presented a desperate situation. The resilience and determination of people, who had lost so much, was humbling and inspirational. We are sometimes privileged to witness something in the human spirit that seems to be able to rise above the horror of such experience. As the year went on we received news of more disasters: famine in Niger, and now Malawi; a hurricane that caused devastation in the area of New Orleans; a mud slide that engulfed whole communities in Guatemala; an earthquake in Pakistan, Kashmir and India that has taken the lives of tens of thousands, including many children; and finally man-made disasters such as the devastation caused by warfare and terrorist attacks, or the quiet violence of poverty brought about by bad governance and diabolically unequal world economic systems. It is invariably the poor who suffer most when a country is exposed to corruption and abuse of power or when disaster strikes: in time of famine the poor cannot afford to buy food when crops fail; it is the poor whose houses are built in places most vulnerable to storm and earthquake; and it is the poor who cannot afford to move away from high risk areas.

The suffering of the innocent defies our understanding, particularly in the light of our worship of a loving, merciful and almighty God. It sometimes seems easier to understand man-made disaster, where we can see who is responsible. But, who is responsible for an earthquake or tsunami? It is a mystery. On this side of eternity, we will never fully understand why some people are called to an early death or to unspeakable suffering. However, we are called by God to work with Him to bring His Kingdom here on earth, where His will is always done. Peace with justice will be the nature of God’s kingdom, where God’s will reign supreme.

On the evening before he died, Jesus spent time with his disciples. The words he spoke to them were to comfort and strengthen them. Whilst informing them that he would be leaving them, he was determined not to leave them comfortless, saying,

"Peace I leave with you,.

my peace I give you.

I do not give to you as the world gives.

Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid II

(John 14..27)

Jesus continued to speak words of comfort to his disciples, assuring them that, through the Holy Spirit, he would continue to guide, protect and strengthen them. He says,

‘I have told you these things,

so that in me you may have peace.

In this world you will have trouble.

But take heart!

I have overcome the world"

(John 16..33)

Jesus is encouraging his followers to persevere. They may face many trials and difficulties, but, at the end of everything, all will be well. God is everything that is good. God’s kingdom, when it has fully come, will restore a world where all is good. In the meantime we are required to build up our lives, and thus the lives of our communities, with qualities that are honourable and godly. We are God’s hands and feet here on earth. We are called to do His will, and to speak the words He gives us. Anyone of us can be used by God. We are the agents of God, who can transmit His love, mercy and comfort to those around us. No person is unworthy if they are prepared to use their lives -from this day forward -in the service of God.

It sometimes seems that evil is overcoming our world. When we consider the tragic events of the last year we could be led to believe this. However, we must remember Jesus’ words to his disciples: "... take heart! I have overcome the world." Evil is NOT the strongest force. God -and the goodness that comes from God -is much stronger. Let us remember:

Good is stronger than evil

Love is stronger than hatred

Peace is stronger than conflict

Justice is stronger than injustice

Forgiveness is stronger than vengefulness

Kindness is stronger than cruelty

Hope is stronger than despair

Truth is stronger than lies

Faithfulness is stronger than unfaithfulness

Mercy is stronger than hardness of heart

Life is stronger than death

Are these not good qualities for us, under God, to build our lives and our communities upon? They are qualities that can give us the kind of inner peace that can only come from God. This is the kind of peace that can survive even when we are faced with difficult times. If, under God, we can build our lives, our families, our communities and our nation upon such strong foundations, the world could become a better place to live in.

It is our prayer that we may come to know more of the peace of God during 2006. May God’s kingdom become a reality in our lives, our communities and our nation. To God be the glory.

May God bless you all, today, throughout the coming year, and always.

Happy New Year.

-0-

 "Jesus said, if you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32

What will you do with Jesus? Article 267

 "Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth, and all mankind will see God’s salvation." (Luke 3:5-6)

Herod did not fancy king Jesus’ birth as that great event when "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." (John 1:14) He felt himself threatened and insecure. Many will seek to kill baby Jesus even while he is in the manger - not yet fully grown to carry out his mission. They will seek to frustrate the plan of God to no avail. Many today like Herod then have no place for him in the inns of their hearts. They do not want to hear the message of salvation that he brings. "For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (Matthew 9:13b) I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10b) Their minds are made up. He has become an intrusion to running their lives the way they would like to. Yet Jesus has set the standards that we should live by if we want to make it to heaven.

Herod will not share in the joyous celebration of the incarnation and the nativity, when God became Emmanuel –God with us. His heart is full with grief and bitterness that will manifest itself in violence. This spiteful mood and opposition will characterise the Jewish leadership and will later simmer up to the crucifixion and death of Jesus on the cross of Calvary thirty three years on. They will mock him, spit on him, put a crown of thorns on his head and beat him - all because He represented the truth.

You would not want to eliminate this little boy in your heart today because the prophet Isaiah said of him that "He will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)

When Joseph, Mary’s fiancé, learnt that his fiancé was pregnant, he received it with mixed feelings. Why? They had not performed the marital rights and Mary was already pregnant. As he planned to end the relationship an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 1:20)) This explanation set him at ease and he stood by Mary all the way.

Nothing however could equal the honour bestowed upon Mary - ‘you who are highly favoured’ – to be the mother of baby Jesus. Isaiah had prophesied that the Messiah would be born of a virgin. "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with a child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." (Isaiah 7:14) She takes on the challenge when angel Gabriel announces to her; "You will be with child and give birth to a son …" (Luke 1:31) In spite of the risk of scandal and shame to her family, the young virgin Mary was up to the task; "I am the Lord’s servant," she answered, "May it be to me as you have said." (Luke 1:38)

Will you be willing and ready to receive baby Jesus without counting the cost – not heeding peoples’ opinion over the matter? It is going to be a personal commitment that you’ll have to make. No one was around when Mary pledged to be the mother of the Chosen One. She did not have to consult mother, father, brother, sister or cousin. She took that decision alone, herself.

As we commemorate yet another nativity may we emulate Mary’s stand and discard any doubt from off our minds. For what the angel promised was that that baby "…will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." (Luke 1:32-33) Mary was so overwhelmed with joy that she travelled miles to break the news to her cousin Elisabeth. ‘When we walk with the Lord in the light of His word what a blessing he pours on our way,’ writes the hymnist. "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!" (Luke 1:42)

Jesus’ greatness was perceived by John the Baptist, a forerunner to Jesus when he said: "But after me will come one who is more powerful, whose sandals I am not fit to carry." (Matthew 3:11) As Jesus approached him to perform his baptismal rights John the Baptist hailed; "Look, the lamb that takes away the sin of the world!" (John 1:29)

What will you do with Jesus? Love, adore and honour Him - that is your rightful duty.

-0-

LG Opens New Showroom

 Special Report by Sana Camara

 The MFH Group, sole agents of the LG Electronics in The Gambia has on Friday inaugurated LG’s ultra modern, premier show room along Kairaba Avenue.

Having won global leadership, recognition, and outstanding awards in digital revolution, the opening of this edifice is part of the Group’s drive to introduce into the market their unique products ranging from latest advanced refrigerators to elegant and sophisticated home entertainment systems – from sleek, stylish and very compact mobile phones to the majestic imposing digital projection televisions; with other electronic products ranging from revolutionary designs in refrigerators to stunning photo reality television systems, and from high fidelity audio systems to aesthetically finished air conditioners and GSM mobile phones.

According to Mr Michel Hocheimy, the founder and president of the MFH Group, this latest development is part of the group’s commitment to produce innovations to meet the everyday needs of their customers. Addressing an epoch-making gathering at the launching, Mr Hocheimy said the story of MFH Group started off from a small pharmacy in Wellington Street, Banjul, growing to become what is today known as Banjul Pharmacy to serve the teaming population in different areas of the country, especially the Greater Banjul Area.

MFH Group he added, has grown to be a leading company both in the Gambia and beyond representing such notable companies such as BAYER of Germany, BASF of Germany and Brazil, Tramontina of Brazil, Troge Pharmaceutical of Germany, BELLS Pharmaceutical of the UK, Foster Clark’s food products of Malta, Westpoint Electronics of France and LG Electronics of Korea.

On the LG story, Mr Hocheimy said it all started during his visit to the Middle East in 1991 when he was fascinated by the wide acceptance, which Goldstar (today called LG) enjoyed within that part of the world. "Although I have never really had a keen interest in electronics, but instinctively, I felt the urge to associate myself with this ‘unknown’ brand. And almost spontaneously, I visited the headquarters in Korea and initiated the first container load of Goldstar products to the Gambia in a matter of months", he narrated adding that LG has now become one of the very few brands that enjoy so much degree of trust and loyalty in the Gambia - a trust built on product quality, commitment to service and social responsibility.

He said since the re-branding in 1997, LG has enjoyed a remarkable growth globally, as it is currently the number one brand worldwide (in terms of sales volume) in Air Conditioners, Microwave, Computer Monitors and Vacuum Cleaners. "LG ranks among the top three technological companies in the world and also the fourth largest manufacturers of GSM mobile phones. And for the record, LG is the only brand that offers pan-African warranty covering 23 African countries for all its products, whose qualities speak for themselves," he said.

On it’s social responsibilities, Mr Hocheimy indicated that in the realisation of the hardship faced by sick patients especially at odd hours, the MFH Group opened the first 24-hour pharmacy in the country – Banjul Pharmacy at the Westfield junction - coupled with their support to the Accident and Emergency Ward at RVTH between 1996 and 2003, their support to the Gambia Organisation to the Visually Impaired (GOVI), consistent donation of medicines and other needed materials to Bansang and the RVT Hospitals, their association to, and support of the work of the Jammeh Foundation for Peace, donation of litter bins and a host of other cleansing tools to Banjul City Council, support to indigent students and providing internship for electronics students of GTTI, sponsoring of a local football team from 1997 to 2004, sponsoring of miss ECOWAS in 1991- won by Gambia’s Amie Faye, among others.

The Vice President Dr. Isatou Njie-Saidy and several Secretaries of State, among other dignitaries, graced the ceremony. Also present were corporate executives. The master of ceremony was Standard Chartered Bank’s Fatou Mass Jobe. The Gambia Police Band and Kabakel Group provided entertainment for the crowd.

-0-

 GNL Pays End Of Year Jackpot

 By Lamin M. Fatty

Cherno Jallow of Wellingara, Western Division on Friday 30th December 2005, has won the end of year Quarte jackpot of more than D88, 400.00.

Mr. Jallow was declared winner of the last jackpot for the year 2005.

The presentation held at the GNL headquarters in Banjul was presided over by the GNL Managing Director Dembo Fanta Bojang.

"This ceremony would be the last payment of the year. However, there are more prospects in the coming year," Mr. Bojang said.

Mr. Bojang called on customers to continue playing GNL products, which will give them the opportunity to win more jackpots. "GNL is forecasted to provide more employment to Gambians by 2006, but it could only be possible if customers continue to patronize our products," he added.

The GNL management also thanked the media for their continuous support, acknowledging their crucial role in the selling and marketing of the GNL products.

On a final note, Mr. Bojang seized the opportunity to wish their clients, members of staff and the entire Gambian populace a happy and prosperous 2006.

-0-

Miss Legs Arrives Home

by Fatou Badjie-Ceesay

 With the advancement and refinement of the so-called civilization, there has been a depletion of mindsets, social and moral cultures as well. The world and human mind advances rapidly.

The modern day civilization is so powerful that it is capable of penetrating or breaking the human mind, which is seen as the faculty responsible for intellect, thought, feeling, speech, reason, opinion, sanity, etc. This civilization, which goes with external forces, poisoned the mind to the extent it finds it extremely difficult to reason or act properly. In most cases, the troubling thing about the modern day civilization is that it obliterates the dignity, pride and moral value of a person, thereby transforming his/her character. As a result, a society’s people behave madly boasting of being civilized.

All societies, including ours are getting their bad share of this cake, as this civilization has overthrown our well-preserved cultures and beliefs. As a matter of fact, we live in a confused society where people are neither civilized nor uncivilized. This is why all sorts of pollutants are surfacing in our society. One such is the Miss Legs competition, which is recently being advertised on commercial radio stations in the country. It is again disheartening to know that women are going to be turned into laughing stocks and undignified beings. Why don’t organizers of this awful initiative call it Mr. Legs competition instead? Isn’t it a disgrace for women to participate in such immoral activities? Why should it always be miss this, miss that? Is it because women have allowed themselves to be abused by event organizers? Whatever the case may be, clearly it is immoral for women to contest in competitions like Miss Legs because they are generally considered as the highly placed gender. God respects us to the core. A Hadith of Prophet Muhammed confirms our significance thus "paradise lies underneath the feet of your mothers." He also said the best among you is one who treats his wife well. Are we not satisfied with this honour or dignity?

What wonders me is the type of dress contestants of this new competition are going to wear. Are they going to expose their nakedness?

Concerned about the future of our society, Every Woman went to the extent that its columnist decided to sample the opinions of young women, most of who rubbished the Miss Legs competition.

"The competition is yet another imported culture into our country. Left to me alone, it would be abolished before it goes out of hand," said a Grade 11 student, Haddy Loum. "Blame parents for allowing their daughters to contest in such competitions because my daughter will not dare do that. And if she tries it, I will deal with her seriously," said a young lady.

The discussion of the issue also gained momentum at a validation workshop on a research document on Gender In Islam prepared by Dr. Omar Jah of University of the Gambia. A renowned female Islamic scholar, Aja Maimuna Savage condemned the competition in totality. "This time it is Miss Legs but next time they will say Miss Breast competition."

For one non-Gambian woman, the practice may be foreign but there is nothing wrong for women to compete in anything, for they will after all win fabulous prizes and better their lives.

One Mr. Edward also describes how he loves watching girls move their legs in such competitions.

Every Woman is convinced that organizers of such events, who are mostly men, succeed in abusing and using women the way they like. Since it takes two to tango, one is also right to levy blame on contestants of such events. Such women lack self-esteem, respect, dignity and pride. Only women who don’t value themselves would stand before a crowd to exhibit their legs.

A woman with self-esteem will never allow men to use her as an object to satisfy their needs. A woman with dignity and pride will always want to be respected by others.

Therefore, let us exercise patience when it comes to the issue of money and think twice and avoid concentrating on only worldly affairs. We have to remember that every action we do will be accounted for in the next world. The organizers should engage in a more descent competition that earns them money than miss legs.

Every Woman is disappointed that religious leaders fail to grab newspaper space or airwaves to condemn the act. Our society needs aggressive sensitization otherwise we will perish one by one.

-0-

 Sukuta Yet To Receive Prize

by Namory Trawally

 Barely two months after claiming the 2005 Super Nawettan trophy, Sukuta have not yet received their winning prize from the Gambia Football Association (GFA).

According to reports reaching Independent Sports, Sukuta was served a notice by GFA to collect their prize on December 06th, 2005. When the team officials turned up at the GFA secretariat on that day, they were told by officials that no money is in their coffers for them.

The reports pointed out that another date was given to them and when they returned again it was the same story. "We have been going to the secretariat almost every week but till now no money for us," one Sukuta official was quoted.

Meanwhile, Independent Sports were also informed that the runner up Serrekunda West have not also received their prize. The other zones too are yet to get their consolation prizes.

It could be recalled that this year Super Nawettan was sponsored by GFA. They pointed at the beginning of the tournament to pay D25, 000 to the winner, D18, 000 to the Runners up and consolation prize of D6, 000 to other zones.

-0-

Semis In Brikama Female Tourney

 By Alieu Darboe

 The 2005 Brikama female tourney organised by the city’s sports committee BYSA has entered in semis, following well-contested matches between the teams at Box Bar mini stadium.

On the Friday December 23rd UN Girls of Kunkunjang beat Jammeh For Peace (JfP) by 2-0. On Saturday Busumbala lost to Sky Kexx United by 3-1.

Meanwhile, on Tuesday 27th Newtown beat JfP by 2-0. On Wednesday 28th Samasang again beat Skykexx by 3-0 which gave them six points to become the leader in Group B.

In group A, UN Girls collected 4 points, while JfP collected 3 points after lodging an appeal against Newtown.

At press time, UN Girls were playing against SkyKexx, while Samasang battling against JfP on Sunday.

-0-

Bojang seeks to give to Gambia

By David Hein

 Former Illinois State basketball player Baboucarr Bojang’s opportunity to give back may help put The Gambia on the international basketball map. The 25-year-old Bojang, who played for the Redbirds in 2002 and 2003, is attempting to work his way through the European basketball world in Europe. He is playing for second division club Kauhajoen Karhu Kauhajoki in Finland.

The Banjul native is one of only two professional basketball players presently produced by The Gambia. But he believes he is far from the last. "I’m working day and night to get myself in a position to make lot of money to help improve basketball in The Gambia," said Bojang, who hopes to meet Gambian president Yahya Jammeh and ask him for help in his efforts.

Bojang plans to bring home used basketball shoes and balls. He also wants to start a project to help give more children the chance to play basketball after school. "I’d like to create an after-school program where children, between the age of 9 and 15, can go and have recreation time in the gym. The project would also provide food for them. And they would be supervised full-time by a trainer earning a monthly salary," he said

One thing lacking is money. Bojang said his salary in Finland only allows him to live comfortably. "But I plan to use my popularity and network of basketball friends to help raise money for this project. Even 10 Euros is like hundreds of dollars at home," Bojang said.

Bojang says $50,000 would be a "great start" for his campaign.

The SoS for Youth and Sport Mr. Samba Faal appreciates players returning something to their homeland. "Boo is a great ambassador for The Gambia. He is not just taking, but also giving. He will have a great impact on basketball here. It’s a good humanitarian act," he noted

"I want to see basketball become what football is now." he said. "It’s a challenge as the resources are not there. But we have to work on making basketball competitive and popular and allow a lot of people to like the game," SoS Faal continued.

Bojang came to The Gambia in June for the first time in nine years after playing professionally in Denmark where he averaged nearly 30 points and 12 rebounds for Glostrup during his second season in 2004-05.

"I hadn’t been back to The Gambia for nine years. It was very different. I couldn’t remember the streets," admitted Bojang, who was just 16 when he left in 1996.

Bojang still hopes to achieve big things on the basketball courts of Europe. He wants to make better inroads into Germany next season because his American coach, Greg Gibson, played there for a few years.

-0-

Police Confiscate Fishing Nets

 By Ansumana Darboe

 Police in Niamina Jareng in the Central River Division last week confiscated more than 30 fishing nets belonging to the fishermen in the area.

According to local people, the police stormed Jareng riverside after they received tip-off that fishermen were involved in illegal fishing in Gambian waters. "The police received information that some fishermen were using fishing nets with small holes which trap the smallest species of fish in the river," said a fisherman, adding that as a result of this practice, thousands of these small fishes were left to decay on the offshore. "They neither eat nor sell these fishes."

Some fishermen reacted angrily about the police move, describing it as "unfair because we don’t allow small species of fish to die on the beach. Instead we return them in the river," a fisherman defended.

At present, residents in Niamina are faced with scarcity of fish in their markets. However, they endorsed the steps being taken by the police. "We commend them for taking the bold step to protect our small fishes in the river. If this is not done on time, there will be scarcity of fish in future," he said.

Our reporter visited Jareng Police Station where he saw the confiscated fishing nets.

-0-

 SIC VP Condemns Legal Adoption

 By Awa Jobarteh

 The Vice President of Supreme Islam Council, Oustass Ousman Jah said that even though Islam acknowledges the need to adopt dumped babies, it does not recognise ‘legal adoption,’ which is considered ‘haram.’

Oustass Jah made these remarks at a national conference on launching the Human Rights’ Unit of Ombudsman’s Office at Senegmabia Beach Hotel.

He dispelled the belief that Sharia ignores baby dumping. "Islam and Sharia law were here before we came to this world. It is the duty of every human being to take up the responsibility to adopt babies by giving them both physical and financial support," he said, adding that it is also correct in Sharia law for the adopted child to marry his/her adopted parents’children.

Jah however stressed that Sharia forbid legal adoption and that adopted children must not adopt the surnames of their foster families.

Reacting to this statement, Social Welfare Director Fanta Sisay-Secka noted that the word ‘haram’ is a heavy word to be used in such a context. "Sharia does not recognize ‘legal adoption’ but if a baby is adopted, the adopted parents can give the child their surname because the child has nowhere to go. I don’t think it is wrong in Islam for people to give humanitarian assistance, protection and guidance to the needy."

Mrs. Sisay-Secka noted that adopted babies cannot inherit properties from their adopted parents. "But if the parents wish to give the child some property, then it is their duty to make the gift before they pass away," she said, adding that every Muslim and non-Muslim should be righteous and extend their hands to the needy.

-0-

 GID Gets Counter-Fake Machine

 By Ahmed Carayol

 Swiss authorities have bolstered The Gambia’s efforts to detect fake or forged official documents or visas at the Banjul International Airport after donating a sophisticated devise for the purpose.

The donated projector is capable of detecting all fake or forged documents or visas by showing their security features, which are not plainly seen.

At a briefing ceremony at Banjul International Airport last Thursday, the Public Relations Officer at Immigration Department, Louis Mendy said the donation was possible through the efforts of the Immigration Director who traveled to Switzerland with his staff for training. "The machine had been with us for almost a month now but we have not used it because we want to inform the public about it first," he said, adding that thought it prudent to warn people before they wound themselves. He warned travelers to Europe with fake passports or visas to be wary of the new development.

Mr. Mendy thanked the Swiss Government for the gesture. He also commended The Gambia Government for cementing a cordial relationship with Switzerland.

An immigration officer, Aliyu Jammeh who demonstrated the functions of the sophisticated machine, said, "It has three functions which are activated by three different lights. Dark blue shows the security features encoded in passports to prove that it is not faked, light blue shows that passports are not forged by changing the photographs or transferring valid visas into a faked passport, and a clear light shows visa security features. The projector will assist us in the fight against global terrorism."

The six immigration officers, who were trained about the operation of the machine in Switzerland, are equally training their colleagues.

The Officer Commanding at Immigration Post at the airport, Deputy Superintendent Buba Sanyang said they have a similar machine but that the new one is more sophisticated.

-0-

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤