Name A Flag Bearer Now!

The deputy secretary general of the National Democratic Action Movement (NDAM) Ousainou Mbenga has urged the leaders of the opposition National Alliance for Democracy and Development, NADD, to choose a ‘flag bearer’ immediately.

In a letter send to The Independent, Mr. Mbenga said with the exception of Hamat Bah, all the four leaders during their visit to the US promise that a ‘flag bearer’ would be chosen upon their return to The Gambia. "Six months have lapse since your return and we are yet to see any tangible signs to choose a ‘flag bearer.’ Quite honestly we don’t have time to wait for you to come to a consensus because that will not happen if all of you are interested. Here is my question-suggestion: since power belongs to the people, should we decide and select the person we want to be the ‘flag bearer’? With all due respect, we have waited for too long for you to come to a consensus. We can no longer afford to be paralysed by indecision. Name the flag bearer now!" he urged NADD leaders.

Mr. Mbenga stated that from the onset of forming the coalition, they raised some fundamental questions to the coalition of the opposition parties and to the Gambian masses in general. "Form a coalition for what and a Coalition with whom?" adding that they also pointedly raised the issue of the inherent contradictions of coalitions, especially in Africa. "This contradiction being: the coming together of five political parties with different methods, approaches and ideology to fight a common enemy. Not that it was impossible to come together but that the basis for its success must be grounded in honesty, truthfulness, an unwavering commitment to uproot the errors and crimes of the entire system that suppresses the imagination by chaining the brains of our people. It is unfortunate but urgently necessary to bring up these questions and issues again because we seem to be going off our course and track, especially after building tremendous momentum following the maiden rally of NADD on May 29, 2005 and our resounding victory in the by-elections despite the IEC and judicial manipulations of the votes in Saloum to Hamat Bah’s demise," he strongly stated.

The NDAM deputy secretary general use the opportunity to called on what he described as "detractors and saboteurs" that it is too late for them to make NADD to crumble. "NADD will not crumble. The Gambian people have gained political maturity; we know what is at stake in our beloved Gambia."

He said come the presidential elections by the end of the year, Jammeh and his APRC must go but stop short to say that Gambians must stubbornly pursue the path to total liberation through a system- change. "If we are looking for an easy way out of this rot-of-a regime, or a short cut to victory by focusing only on winning the elections and the desires to become "government officials", then we equally harbour the same aspirations as Jammeh and the other neo-colonialist bandits that plague our lives in Africa," he opined.

Editor’s Note

You can read the full text of Mr.Mbenga’s letter in our next edition.

-0-

 Juwara Punches Again

 By Alieu Darboe

 The arch critic of the Jammeh regime, Lamin Waa Juwara has once again directed his punches towards the cronies of the administration describing them as fighting over their spoils as the days of the party begins to number.

In an exclusive interview with The Independent at his Brikama residence, Juwara said the vision 2020 economic strategy and management was put in place to enrich President Jammeh and his cronies, thereby led Gambians to get poorer everyday. "The reality has dawned on The Gambian people that empty slogans that are far from the facts can never be term as developments," he charged. "President Jammeh has promised heaven for The Gambian people and as we are in the election year, everybody is asking, where is The Gambian oil and will it transform the lives of Gambian people."

Juwara further condemned the APRC administration for duping the farmers by always engaging into credit buying. "When will there be a well managed trade season when farmers will be paid on the spot after selling their nuts. Jammeh has betrayed his back to the land call. What is the use of buying all those tractors when the regime knows that it cannot buy farmers nuts," he enquired.

The former Niamina parliamentarian seized the opportunity to once again punch the recycled Secretary of State for Agriculture, Yankuba Touray describing him as ineligible to hold any public post. He said the mere fact that the Paul Commission indicted Touray, makes him incapable to serve in his present portfolio. "There is no justification in re-appointing Yankuba Touray into Cabinet when he has already been indicted by the Paul Commission. This shows that the Commission has created a situation of crisis within an administration that is fast crumbling.

-0-

 Jareng S.O Reacts

 The Station Officer at Jareng Police Station, Modou Sanneh has strongly rebuffed the claims made by Alhagie Madi Ceesay, a native of Kerr Katim in Niamina West that he was illegally arrested and detained.

The embattled Station Officer said Ceesay’s arrest and subsequent detention had to do with his idle and disorderly behaviour at the station. "He had fired abusive and derogatory languages at me but I did not pay any heed to him. But I ordered for his arrest as soon as he started beating the counter. I can defend myself any where in the world," he said.

In his telephone reaction, Sanneh has justified the reasons for slaughtering the goat in question. "The goat was about to die after it had suffered from a sudden disease. That was the only option for me to do, although the goat was a subject of dispute. After slaughtering the goat, I communicated the matter to the parties concerned, including the Magistrate as well," he said. "I informed the Magistrate that I would compensate whoever the ruling favours. Surprisingly, Alhagie Madi Ceesay later accompanied Neffu Ceesay to the station to claim for the goat and I told them what transpired. And come on January 24th, when judgment is expected to be delivered, I am ready to compensate whoever wins the case."

Sanneh added that Mr. Ceesay vowed not to leave the station unless they are compensated. "I did not pay heed to all what he was saying including the abusive words. Instead I told Neffu Ceesay to wait for the judgment day, who adhered to that." He added that when he ordered Mr. Ceesay to leave the station, he started furiously beating the station counter, insisting that their goat has to be compensated immediately. "I effected his arrest and detention because he was behaving idly and disorderly," he defended.

On the confiscation of fishing nets, Mr. Sanneh said they were just aiding the officials of the Department of Fisheries. "A memo was send to the IGP and copied to all the Station Officers in Central River Division back the officials of the department in their strive to prevent illegal fishing. We were there as a secondary party, trying to protect those carrying out the exercise. We would not in fact participate if the memo were not sent to us. So we did not confiscate the fishing nets but instead give backing to those doing the exercise," the SO said.

-0-

 Independent Editor Off To Niger

By Lamin M. Fatty

Alongside four other Gambians, the Editor-In-Chief of The Independent Newspaper, Mr. Musa Saidykhan is currently in Niamey, capital of Niger to participate in the third Annual General Meeting of West Africa Civil Society Forum (WACSOF).

Other Gambians on tour are Omar Gassama, Executive Secretary of National Youth Council, Musu Badjie, Adama Njie and Yusupha Touray. The three-day AGM started on January 4th and ends on 6th.

Among the objectives of the Niamey forum include deliberations on key social, economic and political concerns in the sub region. Participants are also expected to elect a new bureau for WACSOF. The forum will be attended by at least 100 participants, with each ECOWAS member states being represented by five people. Development partners and members of West African Diaspora are also expected to participate in the forum.

WACSOF is an umbrella body of civil society organisations in 15 member states of ECOWAS and its membership is drawn from persons and organisations of diverse backgrounds and experience in human security, education, trade, health, democracy, human rights, gender equality, conflict transformation, among others. The West Africa Network on Peace building (WANEP) is overseeing the activities of WASCOF, which is expected to have a secretariat in The Gambia.

The National Coordinator of WANEP, Ms. Pamela Cole briefed the participants before they left on Tuesday. She said WACSOF meets annually prior to the annual ECOWAS Council of Members Meeting and Summit of Heads of State and Governments. The aim of the AGM, she said, is to analyse the situation and issues in the region from a civil society perspective as well as make recommendations through the Council of Ministers to the summit for consideration. During this process, civil society views and aspirations could be brought to bear on crucial decisions taken to the level of heads of state and governments.

Since its establishment, WACSOF has been complementing the work of ECOWAS Secretariat in peace building, integration, and economic development.

The Gambian delegation is expected back home on January 10th.

-0-

"Uplift The Music Industry"

By Pa Modou Secka

 Pa Omar Jack, a Gambian Mbalax artist has urged The Gambia government to support coming up artists to uplift the musical industry of the country.

According to him, music contributes towards the socio-cultural development of the country. Nephew to Mbalax star Mass Lowe, Pa Omar told The Independent that he has learnt to play the drums and occasionally does the Phil Collins act, playing the drums and rhythm through the verses.

Mr. Jack is one of few artists in The Gambia who have taken steps to pursue a musical career in the Mbalax genre. "Mbalax originated in this country. It was then called ‘ndaga’ and there was a moment when Banjul was the musical capital in the sub region. Over the years Mbalax was popularised by artists largely from Senegal and few from The Gambia, and mainly Senegalese Grammy award winner Youssou Ndour, whom I admire," he narrated.

His voice is in many ways influenced by that of Youssou Ndour. However he has since embarked on an experiment of authenticity, which has led him lending his voice to many popular radio commercials notably the Coca-Cola local jingle. "I have done more studio samples releasing my first promotional single dedicated to women (Giggen Nye)," he revealed.

The 26-year-old rising Mbalax star indicated that over the years he has been playing with various bands more usually around Hotel venues. "I have been on opening act for many bands." He said he has created a niche to dispel the social belief that Mbalax from Gambia is dead. "Four in five that have heard my songs already believe that I am not from The Gambia. That is just saying Gambian Mbalax stars are overshadowed by their Senegalese counterparts in the genre, and it is very rare to spotlight Gambian talents in the field," he added.

Pa Omar has released the tracks Guestu- Lenn and Giggenu Gambia, but now planning to produce his album for entitlement. He needs an estimate of over D300, 000 to produce his debut album. "Music has no boundary for me, every sound you play I can sing a song on it. It’s my profession," he said.

-0-

Shell Marketing Donates PIU

 By Ansumana Darboe

Shell Marketing-Gambia Limited last week donated sports gears to the volleyball team of the Police Intervention Unit (PIU) of The Gambia Police Force.

The items which include 20 pairs of jerseys, 20 tracksuits, 20 pairs of sport shoes, 5 volley balls and 3 volleyball nets were handed over to the Inspector General Ousman Sonko at his office in Banjul. In receiving the items, Mr. Sonko said the donation is yet another landmark in the long-standing relationship that exist between the police and Shell Marketing Limited. The donation, according to him does not come as a surprise, knowing well the relationship between the police and shell. He commended Shell Marketing for trying to empower the security forces in sports. He assured that the donated items will go a long way to motivate the volleyball team.

A senior commercial sales representative of Shell Marketing, Lamin Jammeh presented the donated items.

-0-

 Taf Shares To Be Sold

 By Ansumana Darboe

 The chairman and CEO of Taf Holding Company, Mustapha Njie has said that the company will now be open to potential investors who wish to express their interest in owing a share.

"Taf holding will now be radically transformed from a business revolving around one man to a national entity," he said. Speaking at the Company’s third annual long service and employee of the year award ceremony, held at its Brufut Garden Housing Development Site, Mr. Njie said that the Company stood on a strong footing whereby no one would ever regret investing in it. "Over the past two years, we have developed a new administrative tactics to transform the company from entrepreneurship to a corporation which shall be run on a colleague basis in order to operate globally," he said, stating that although he intends to hold a greater share of the company, the doors are open to potential investors. "I intend to hold 51% of the shares due to the confidence revolving around me in running the affairs of the company."

Three employees were awarded for long service; three others received employees of the year award in both the skills and unskilled category, while the outgoing general manager, Momodou Senghore received a special award.

-0-

Marsden Nursery Seeks Assistance

 By Ansumana Darboe

 Marsden Nursery School in Tallinding is currently in desperate need of a land to relocate the school.

According to Lamin Jammeh, chairman and head of the school, the capacity of the school cannot house for the number of students enrolled. "The house currently rent is not spacious to abode 125 students presently enrolled by the school. The place is also not conducive for both learning and teaching because the place is noisy," he said, appealing to concern individuals and NGOs to come to their aid. Since its establishment in 1985, the nursery school has recruited thousands of children who have now picked up several responsibilities in both the public and private sectors in the country. "We are definitely in need of a land which shall be develop to a better school campus to ensure quality education for the children," he said, calling on all potential people to invest in young children. "They are the future of the nation."

The school can be reach on 9860582, 9991684 and 9950159 for any assistance.

-0-

Editorial:  Jammeh Signals

President Yahya Jammeh has once again exhibited his government’s usual intolerant colour towards the opposition in the country. During his New Year interview with GRTS, Jammeh signaled that he would continue his iron-fist ruling in 2006, contrary to what some people had expected.

As we entered 2006, we thought Jammeh’s pre-occupation would be to apply zero tolerance to undemocratic moves, respect for the rule of law, human rights, security and corruption that is biting our economy. Since occasions like the New Year are set aside for merrymaking, President Jammeh should not have fired threats while celebrations were going on. Besides, threats are misfits in our society, especially as we move along the road to elections in October this year. By continuously issuing threats to his opponents, Jammeh is proving to the whole world that the coming elections would be neither free nor fair. It is unfair for Jammeh to rely on the state machinery and security under his control to pose blanket threats on citizens. But he should understand that absolute power belongs to God alone and not leaders. Please, slow down your words of threats if you really mean what you are preaching. Politics is a game of professionals, which must not be taken at heart to the extent that its negative consequences disrupt peace in our country.

Going by the trend of events in the country, it is clear that Jammeh is clearing any obstacle on the elections road. The arrest, detention and subsequent charges of the three key opposition figures are clear testimonies that your government is following the lines of other repressive regimes in Africa.

In some countries, leaders are debriefed hours before they entertain marathon interviews from press officials who are in the habit of pinning down executives on sensitive or critical issues. That is not the case in our country but we think time has come for us to start introducing that system. Our executives should be briefed how to tackle some sensitive press queries. Otherwise, they would only succeed in either diving people or cause state of panic in the country.

Throughout the world, leaders are honoured for serving the interest of their respective peoples. But this should not bar their subjects from throwing truth on their face. By that, their countries would attain peace, stability and genuine development. Consequently, the citizens chase out anything that would endanger the above.

Leadership must not therefore be abused for whatever reasons or interests. And those leaders who wrong their subjects and communities lose their honour or dignity as soon as they leave office. All we want is a country where the rights of people are respected, no matter which political, ethnic or cultural background they belong to. We all wear the same citizenship colour, so what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

-0-

Man of The Year Award

 Mr. Pa Sallah Jeng, the suspended Mayor of Banjul who was recently restored to his position by a High Court order, has been named "Man of the Year 2005" by "The Gambia News and Report" Weekly Magazine.

In a letter conveying the news to Mayor Jeng, Mr. Swaebou Conateh of the Dippakunda based Gambia Communication Agency and Baroueli Enterprises, the publishers of" The News and Report," states that Pa Sallah Jeng’s selection was based on the conviction that his case "I...illustrates possibilities for the individual citizen who cares enough about his rights under a democratic dispensation and points to the importance of individual strength of character and high principles in the face of all adversities.

"2. You have shown, by your conduct and example, a high level of self-restraint, personal discipline, forbearance and modesty especially in the face of accusations against you culminating in the steps council members embarked upon to have the SoS for Local Government suspend you from office and set up a task force to enquire into your administration of the Office of Mayor of Banjul.

"3. By so doing, you have reserved to yourself respect and admiration which won to your side the unreserved applause of many Gambians when you were legally recalled to your post as Mayor of Banjul.

"Since we believe that, like some other prominent leaders of the past, your story will remain for all Gambians an important example of good leadership to serve as a point of reference in terms of civic responsibility and service to the nation, and in the pursuit of individual rights as enshrined in our constitution, we take this opportunity to salute you for what you have been able to achieve in the annals of our country’shistory. We know your courage; steadfastness and highly commendable principled stand in the face of all adversities are bound to remain a source of inspi- ration and exemplary conduct to our citizens now and generations unborn.

The letter also tells Mr. Jeng of :-"1) Your singular and exemplary achievements as an ordinary citizen who, imbued with a high sense of national service and devotion to civic responsibility, successfully contested as an independent candidate the 2000 mayoral election for Banjul, despite formidable odds.

" 2) The leadership and administrative skills you have manifested in running the of fice of Mayor of Banjul with dignity, and in successfully implementing under adverse conditions imagina- tive and feasible policies aimed at increased revenue generation to fully meet the municipality’s budgetary requirements for both recurrent and capital expenditure.

" 3) Above all, the courage, determination and commitment you have shown in dealing with the problems of working with a council comprising a majority of members belonging to opposing parties. This is best exemplified recently by the way and manner in which you success- fully challenged in the High Court, the procedure and the basis used by the Secretary of State for Local Government and Lands to suspend you from office.

"As the High Court declared subsequently, your suspension as Mayor of Banjul by the Secretary of State for Local Government and Lands "is null and void," and contrary to the Local Government Act 2002 as amended. The Court further made an order directing the Secretary of State to reinstate you as Mayor of Banjul, and to prohibit him from interference with your Office as Mayor.

The letter ends by telling Mr. Jeng that the management of "The Gambia News And Report" weekly magazine being thus satisfied that he has met the requirements to be designated the magazine ‘s "Man of the Year 2005," congratulates him "most heartily on your selection and desig- nation.

"The Gambia News and Report" magazine, which started publication as a monthly in 1992, has since June 1996 been published weekly. The magazine’s editor and publisher is Swaebou Conateh who is also the Managing Director of the publishing company, The Gambia Communica- tion Agency and Baroueli Enterprises.

The criteria for selecting "Man of the Year," as explained by the letter, is based on the following considerations:-

1). The person selected must be someone who, through his/her work, profession or per- sonal endeavour, is judged to have contributed the most to the public welfare and to advancing the country’s development in the interest of all Gambians.

2). He or she must have contributed significantly in enhancing in a direct and tangible form, the social and economic status of Gambians as a whole.

3). He or she would have put in place for posterity facilities and or infrastructures and other achievements that can serve as a lasting memorial of his/her contributions to national development.

Previous Man or Gambian of The Year named by the paper were Amadou Samba, Pa Sallah lagne, Dr. Ebrima Samba, Dr. Lenrie Peters, Lamin Waa Juwara, Isatou Njie Saidy, Bye Lamin lobe, Mrs. Harriet Ndow, Imam Karamo Touray, Hassan Jallow, Ousman B. Conateh (Fisko), Mubammed Jab, Deyda Hydara.

-0-

 Eid -Ul-Adha

by Ahmed B Saidybah

 All praise is due to Allah and may His peace and blessings be upon the last prophet, his family and all his companions.

Alhamdulillah (thank God). Once again, Almighty Allah has blessed us with the opportunity to witness the second feast of Islam- EID-UL-ADHA. Insha Allah (God Willing), Makkah will observe the feast on Tuesday (10th January 2006). We pray that Allah enable us attain and observe it in the most holy way and safeguard us from following the footpath of Satan -the cursed one, during our celebrations. Amen.

Although only the pilgrims in Makkah can participate in the Hajj fully, all the other Muslims in the world join with them by celebrating the Eid ul Adha [eed ul ud-ha], or Festival of Sacrifice. On the 10th of Dhul-Hijjah, Muslims around the world wear their nicest clothing and attend a special prayer gathering in the morning. This is followed by a short sermon, after which everyone stands up to hug and greet one another. The traditional Eid greeting is "Eid Mubarak," which means "Holiday Blessings." Next, people visit each other’s homes and partake in festive meals with special dishes, beverages, and desserts. Children receive gifts and sweets on this joyous occasion. In addition, like the pilgrims in Makkah, those Muslims who can afford to do so offer domestic animals, usually sheep, as a symbol of Abraham’s sacrifice. The meat is distributed for consumption to family, friends, and to the poor and needy.

The Eid ul-Adha is a major religious event in the lives of Muslims. Usually, communities celebrate this occasion over a period of several days.

The Sunnah of Eid

1. Wake up early.

2. Prepare for personal cleanliness; take care of details of clothing, etc.

3. Take a Ghusl (bath) after Fajr.

4. Brush your teeth.

5. Dress up, putting on best clothes available, whether new or cleaned old ones.

6. Use perfume (men only).

7. Have breakfast on Eid-al-Fitr before leaving for prayer ground. On Eid-al-Adha, eat breakfast after Salaat or after sacrifice if you are doing a sacrifice.

8. Pay Zakaat-al-Fitr before Salaat-al-Eid (on Eid-al-Fitr).

9. Go to prayer ground early.

10. Offer Salaat-al-Eid in congregation in an open place except when whether is not permitting like rain, snow, etc.

11. Use two separate routes to and from the prayer ground.Recite the following Takbir on the way to Salaat and until the beginning of Salaat-al-Eid. On Eid-ul- Adha, Takbir starts from Mughrib on the 9th Dhul-Hijjah and last until the Asr on the 12th Dhul-Hijjah: Allahu-Akbar, Allahu-Akbar. La Ila-ha ill-lal-lah. Allahu-Akbar, Allahu-Akbar. Wa-Iilahill hamd. (Allah is greater, Allah is greater. There is no god but Allah. Allah is greater, Allah is greater. And all praises are for Allah

How to offer Eid prayer:

Ibn Abbass (ra) reported: "I participated in the Eid-ul-Fitr prayer with the Messenger of Allah (saw), Abu Bakr (ra), Umar (ra) and Uthman (ra), and all of them held Eid prayer before Khutbah, and then the Prophet Muhammad (saw) delivered the Khutbah (sermon)." (Muslim)

Who should go to the prayer ground & offer Eid Prayer:

Umm Atiyah (ra) reported: "The Messenger of Allah (saw) commanded us to bring out on Eid-al-Fitr and Eid-al-Adha, young women, hijab-observing adult women and the menstruating women. The menstruating women stayed out of actual Salaat but participated in good deeds and Duaa (supplication). I (Umm Atiyah) said to the Holy Prophet (saw): Oh! Messenger of Allah, one does not have an outer garment. He replied: Let her sister cover her with her garment." (Muslim). On the Eid day, every believing man, woman and child must go to the prayer ground and participate in this joyous occasion.

Structure of Eid prayer:

Eid prayer is wajib (strongly recommended, just short of obligatory). It consists of two Rakaat (units) with six or thirteen additional Takbirs. It must be offered in congregation. The prayer is followed by the Khutbah. The Khutbah is part of the worship and listening to it is Sunnah. During the Khutbah, the Imam must remind the community about their responsibilities and obligations towards Allah, fellow Muslims and the fellow human beings. The Imam must encourage the Muslims to do good and ward off evil. The Muslim community must also be directed to the state of the community and the Ummah at large and the feelings of sacrifice and Jihad should be aroused in the community. At the conclusion of the prayer the Muslims should convey greetings to each other, give reasonable gifts to the youngsters and visit each other at their homes. Muslims should also take this opportunity to invite their non-Muslims neighbours, co-workers, classmates and business acquaintances to Eid festivities to expose them to Islam and Muslim culture.

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

"The sacrificial camels we have made for you as among the symbols from Allah. In them is (much) good for you: then pronounce the name of Allah over them as they line up (for sacrifice): when they are down on their sides (after slaughter), eat ye thereof, and feed such as (beg not but) live in contentment, and such as beg with due humility: thus have We made animals subject to you, that ye may be grateful. It is not their meat, nor their blood that reaches Allah, it is your piety that reaches Him:

He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for His Guidance to you and proclaim the good news to all who do right." (22:36-37)

-0-

New Year’s Resolution

by David Thoronka

We give thanks and praise to the Almighty for allowing us to see this year, which is very important as it marks the mid-point of the first decade of the 21st century.

As usual, the end of every year is a period of monitoring and evaluation of one’s life, the examination of one’s achievements, successes and failures. It is a period of stock taking- whereby you reflect upon your life: What direction your life has taken, what areas need to be developed?

It is time for us to ponder over certain salient issues. Let us ask ourselves these questions: How best are we using our time and talent to make society bene

fit positively. Is our presence really felt in society? Thus for everybody to be able to make an informal New Year resolution we have to break down the discussion into sectors of our society.

First let us consider ourselves as political leaders, men and women of position and authority. Let us ask ourselves what have we done to transform the lives of the people under us. Have we succeeded in reducing their level of poverty? Have we reduced wars, hunger, diseases and affliction or have we worsened our people’s situation.

Let us reflect on the budgets we drew up or proposed, are they genuine or do they have some covered malpractice.

Do we use the monies, deposited in our reserves to be utilized in worthy projects, in just and reasonable manner, or we divert them to covert accounts. If we are guilty of such charges, then I think this is the right time for us to have a change of heart and attitude, a time to make a new resolution that will make a difference for our children, our nation and ourselves. In short, we should take a u-turn in our lives. We should be determined to lift our nation from all sufferings and poverty.

The other sector to be discussed apart from politics is the safety and security of our nation. Are we really satisfied at the end of this year as security personnel and officers employed to keep the peace in our society? Are we really comfortable with the way and manner in which our society is policed?

In 2005 in the Kanifing municipality alone, we have a minimum of more than six homicides compared to the past two years. This is a very alarming criminal statistics for a small country like ours with less than 1.5 million people. It is our duty as security personnel to ensure that such exhibition of barbarity is stopped.

The sore crime rate in the country is unprecedented. Security personnel’s New Year resolution should be to tackle and curb crimes. It is our duty to adapt to the modern strategies of community policing. Let us abstain from the use of naked force, refrain from brutal and hard tactics. Let’s leave by the maxim that "he who fights a monster must see to it that he does not become one in the process."

We should seek to protect our children. Security as well as political leaders’ attitude change is more than ever child protection. Parents should be able to relax and feel comfortable whenever their children go to school. This is no longer the case as things are gradually deteriorating: more HIV/AIDS, a higher crime rate, corruption, embezzlement, scam, unlawful arrest and false detention, murder and other.

Values’ deterioration is very obvious where teachers are raping their students, or undue influence is used to sexually exploit or abuse them. Such can also prevail where doctors value money more than patients’ life, where lawyers lie and win their cases and where police take bribes and pervert justice. All of us need to rethink and resolve to change for the better this New Year.

We should also reflect the way we utilize Donors’ and NGOs’ funds. We, advocacy groups and child-oriented organizations, should evaluate ourselves in terms of achieving our targeted goals in line with the 2015 Millennium Development Goals. Making the world a better place for the children is a MDG and it is our duty to really increase the tempo in realizing this objective. We should resolve to expand our scope, and explore new frontiers this year.

However, in this complex circle of making a New Year resolution, the family unit should be the first resolution maker. Parents have a huge degree of responsibility in improving the living standard of their children. The primary duty of our fathers is to protect and perform all paternal responsibilities imposed on them by both moral and legal instruments.

The mother is the most admired and a good model for the children. If we as parents are not doing these things then let us start contemplating on them now. If we do not want children why do we make them? If they go without their parents or guardians who is going to blame them when they do wrong.

Our new year’s resolutions are that all strata of society should embark on an attitude change campaign, a change for the better for national development. Our new year’s resolution should prioritise children’s needs so that children’s living conditions will be improved. In short Child Care’s New Year resolution is putting children’s affairs first.

-0-

 Regional Integration In West Africa- The Gambian Perspective

It should be recalled that after the establishment of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in Lagos on May 28, 1975, Heads of State, during their summits of 1987 and 1989 gave topmost priority to promotion and development of Intra-Community Trade in West Africa with the main objective of integrating the 16 West African markets for goods, service, capital and labour.

This led to the launching of the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme (ETLS) programme in January 1990 with the objectives to increase intra-ECOWAS trade in goods; encourage free movement of people and develop the West African Market. The volume of horizontal trade will certainly measure the success of the West African regional integration, which is currently insignificant compared to the sub-region’s vertical trade with Europe, USA and Asia.

Among the many ECOWAS protocols, The Gambia has ratified the Protocol on the ETLS and there are many relevant issues at stake in The Gambia relating to implementation of the Protocol. The ratification of this protocol was not only for mere realisation of political aspirations but the recognition of the need of consolidating in the West African space and being part of the larger West African markets formation. Gambia’s trade with ECOWAS countries accounts for most of its trade compared to the whole of Africa although trade with ECOWAS countries is very low compared to trade with Europe, USA and Asia. The Gambia’s trade links in the West African sub-region has largely been propelled by the country’s small market size and the absence of other inherent economic circumstances that are necessary to achieve long-term sustainable development. The Gambia being one of the smallest country in the ECOWAS sub-region, cannot afford to be isolated or excluded from the West African regional trade integration process. In view of its size and economic characteristics, being part of the integration process is a big challenge. Apart from its location as a great advantage to provide services for horizontal trade within the West African sub-region, The Gambia will have to reap the benefits of the integration to address supply side constraints, develop an indigenous technological know-how and to develop capacity to participate effectively in the evolving regional interdependence.

Given these considerations, it is felt necessary to rekindle the importance of addressing the implementation issues that are besetting effective implementation of the ETLS protocol in The Gambia. So many efforts have been made in The Gambia to exploit the West African sub-regional market, with many pronouncements especially in investment and trade promotions without addressing certain implementation issues such as tariff structure in relation to preferential rates for goods, the application of Most Favoured Nations, tariff range and its application on certain goods, legal & institutional framework, and revenue implications to name a few.

The aim of this paper is to give a perspective of The Gambia’s participation in regional trade integration. Cognisance of its commitments to regional trade integration, there is need to re-focused attention to certain implementation issues if The Gambia is to reap the benefits of regional trade integration. In this regard, the paper will serve as a model by highlighting key issues that could form the basis of further research to assist The Gambia in participating effectively and to take advantage of regional trade integration.

-0-

Tribute To The Late Kama Badjie

 On Tuesday 29th November 2005, Banjul woke up with the news of the passing away to eternity of the charismatic Alhaji Kama Badjie. This sad news reverberated the city, and indeed The Gambia.

Alhaji Alieu Ebrima Woola Fally Badjie was born to Woola Badjie and Adam Chumbey Jammeh at Brikama, Sanneh Kunda, on 2nd Apri11925. Woola Badjie was an Interpreter in the Provincial administration and was virtually domiciled in the Protectorate. In the circumstances, the upbringing of Kama was entrusted to the Manga family of 18 Gloucester Street (now Tafsir Demba Ndow Street).

Alhaji M.O. Manga, the urbane and well-respected Druggist at the Royal Victoria Hospital was his mentor. He made sure that his protégé received both Koranic and Western type education. Kama was a pupil at the Darra (Koranic School) of the late Tafsir Alhaji Masamba Ceesay at 25 Lancaster Street now Ousman Jeng Street, and was also a pupil at the St. Augustine’s Primary School.

At the Darra, apart from learning to read the Holy Quran, there were extra curricula activities, which were performed by the Scholars (Talubes). These included the pounding of coos, cutting firewood at Denton Bridge to provide light during the night of the 27th day of the Holy month of Ramadan (Lailatul Qadr). In the late thirties and the early forties, these duties included excavating sand from the beach for the back filling of trenches during the reconstruction works at the Central Mosque in Banjul (now Independence Drive Mosque). Kama would reminisced on these events with a deep sense of satisfaction.

Another boyhood memory of Kama was that he was one of our champion wrestlers at the then weekly contest, between Half-Die and Soldier Town (Sajatawoon). This term covered the then New Town East Ward, New Town West Ward and Soldier Town Ward itself. Those contests took place at "Saekabu Ess" in Half-Die, and "Saekaba" at the Junction of Lancaster Street now (Ousman Jeng Street) and Gloucester Road now (Nancy Perre Street). In these competitions, he had his antics but it was a thrill to see him take on Half-Die wrestlers such as Dodou N’gum Churchill and Amadou Jobe Ndorgou among others.

Kama was a member of the Boys Scout Movement, and also served as a Warden during the 1939-45 War. The duty of a Warden was essentially to warn people against putting on bright candlelights or kerosene lamps during air raid exercises. As a Scout, (Cub Master) he was a member of The Gambian contingent, which attended a Jamboree at Katibougou, French Sudan (Mali) in 1944, jointly organised for Francophone and Anglophone Scouts in the neighbouring states so as to foster closer relationship during the years of hostilities. The leader of the Party was Bishop John Daly (first Bishop of The Gambia) District scout Commissioner, Alhaji B.O. Semega Janneh, Assistant District Scout Commissioner. Other participants include Edward Eunson, Scout Master, A E Cham Joof, Troop leader, Solomon Njie and Francis Forbes.

After these early contacts, I did not again meet Kama, very closely, until in 1946, when I entered the Methodist Boys High School. By then he was well on the path to a distinctive scholastic career at the School. He passed the Cambright Junior Certificate in 1945,and proceeded to obtain the Cambridge Senior School Leaving Certificate in 1947. He was also a school prefect at the same time as his friend, I A. Jarboh. Few things are ephemeral as the living memory, but that notwithstanding, I cal vividly remember the impressive part Kama played at the 1947 Speech and Prize- Giving Day, when he played a leading role in a drama based on one of Thomas Carlyle’s work. The oratory power, notwithstanding limited stammering, was very evident and so was the self-confidence. For his educational achievements, he always treasured the debt of gratitude, which he owed to the knowledgeable and versatile Principal, J.J. Baker ESQ. O.B.E.

At the end of that academic year, he left School and embarked on a professional career in the field of education. In 1948, he was granted a scholarship to Fourahbay College to train as a Teacher. At the end of the programme, he obtained the Teachers Certificate in 1948, and the Advance Teachers Certificate in 1949. On his return to The Gambia, he was appointed Assistant Master, Muhammedan School. In a bid to enhance his professionalism, he attended King Alfred’s College Institute of Education, Southampton University. In 1972, he underwent a programme of training at the Department of Education (Oxford University) and at the Department of Education Oxfordshire County Council.

In the field of education, which he served for 28 years, he held several responsible positions such as: -

Headmaster Bakau Primary School 1952-1962

Headmaster Crab Island Secondary Technical School 8th July 1964-31st May 1979

It was at Crab Island School that Kama made his greatest impact. He transformed the School from being looked upon as a dead end to a vibrant institution, which supplied the High Schools with late developers and individuals, who by a measure of ill luck did not pass the Common Entrance Examination. In this way, he facilitated the development of many Gambians who are now occupying well-deserved positions in society. Some of those who remained at the School and satisfactorily completed their studies also obtained Certificates in vocational and academic subjects, and have also found suitable employment.

-0-

 Gambian Football In New Hands

by  Namory Trawally

 Delegates, on Saturday 31st December 2005, elected a new GFA executive during a congress held at the Independence stadium in Bakau. Like the presidency, all the other positions went unopposed.

Mr. Seedy Buwa Kinteh, the first vice president in the outgoing executive was confirmed president of the Gambia Football Association (GFA). The chief of staff of The Gambia National Army Lt Col. Lang Tombong Tamba went unopposed for the post of first vice-president.

The president of The Gambia Ports Authority F.C Alhaji Mass Axi Gai was elected second vice-president while Omar Ceesay of Basse in the Upper River Division (URD) was elected to the position of third vice-president. He served in GFA executive for eight years as Assistant Treasurer.

The executive committee should appoint the positions of Secretary General and his/her Assistant. The new draft constitution also allows the executive to appoint the Treasurer and his/her Assistant for a better service in the finance department of the FA.

Before the election, the former executive presented its report. On his one year report to the delegates, the out-going president Alhagie Omar Sey noted that one year ago he was called by the delegates to lead the Gambian Football Association following disunity, dispute, anger and tension within the FA and he thanked God for giving him the strength to bring every body on board. "We were able to restore tranquility in the FA, which gave us the opportunity to enjoy support from Government, stakeholder and private companies. Also sub-committees were put in place and they organised leagues in all categories and FA cups for both male and female," he said.

Mr Sey added that in the international competition, The Gambia hosted the most successful African U-17 championship ever in the history of the tournament and at the same time clinched the continental trophy.

Mr Sey advised delegates to avoid blocks in football, which always bring failures.

Meanwhile, the elected GFA president Seedy B. Kinteh thanked delegates specially his cheering committee for trusting them. He also thanked government, the Gambia National Olympic Committee (GNOC) and all stakeholders who have supported football in the past years.

Mr Kinteh presented to the delegates their 11 points plan for the development of football in the next four years. 76 clubs, zones and division sports committees attended the congress. Clubs like Wallidan, Real de Banjul, Gamtel, and Young Africans all from Banjul boycotted the congress.

West Coast Launches Sports Programs

As promised some months back, West Coast Radio aired on 95.3 FM, on Tuesday January 03rd 2006 launched its new sports programmes. The programmes to be run on a daily basis will be aired at 10.p.m.

Speaking to Independent Sports on Tuesday in his office, West Coast Radio proprietor Mr. Peter Gomez said when they took ownership of the Radio last year, they promised that sports will be given a prominent place. Mr Gomez said they have decided to launch a daily sports programme from Tuesday to Friday from 10 to 11 pm based on the popularity of their sports magazine Sports File.

Mr Gomez pointed out that the popular sports programme will continue to be aired on Mondays from 8 to 10 p.m.

"We receive many sports news in the week and many people call us inquiring about some sports issues which we cannot share with people out of Sports file hours," said West Coast boss.

He revealed that the new programmes will be based on sports reporting and priority will be given to other sporting disciplines like Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Handball, Karate, Judo, Cricket, Golf to name a few.

Mr Gomez expressed the need to get sponsors for those programmes, as according to him sports programmes are very expensive to run.

"We are very grateful to Africell for sponsoring the Tuesday programme and hope to get response from other companies for the other three programmes," Peter Gomez indicated.

He added that they are going to run the programmes on their own expense for two to three months and if they don’t get sponsors they may decide to discontinue it.

"We have to build on Gambians’ achievement in 2005 and put sports in the National Agenda," Mr Gomez stressed.

-0-

 No Gov’t Money on GFA if……..

 The Secretary of State for Youth, Sports and Religious Affairs Mr. Samba Faal said that the Government will not put any butut into Gambian football if the draft constitution, prepared by the then GFA president Alhagie Omar Sey, is approved by delegates to stand as the FA final constitution.

In his keynote address at the opening of the GFA congress last Saturday at the Independence stadium, SoS Faal said the draft constitution is not in for the partnership between Government and the Gambia Football Association and its adoption will see Government withhold its assistance to GFA and that will not bar them to question GFA activities.

SoS Faal pointed out that in the former constitution they were clauses, which clearly outlined Government partnership with GFA.

"If we have to fund the National teams, we will question GFA activities," said SoS Faal.

Mr Faal pointed out that, the GFA has a membership and those members should decide on the fate of the Association. They should also participate in the decision making process of the association.

Mr. Faal revealed that Government has spent lot of money on Football especially in 2005, but when the time of going to Peru arrived, Government was totally sidelined.

"You think that Government is a milking cow, having a ‘give us the money we spend it and don’t interfere’ attitude towards it," SoS Faal stressed.

Mr Faal added that if GFA wants to be independent as stated in the draft constitution they should be responsible.

"It is true, you have an international association called FIFA who has its guidelines but you should accept the realities in The Gambia. And I am really disappointed with the out going executive for failing to give me my working documents before the congress. I received my invitation a day before the congress and I had to ask some delegates to lend me their document to know what will be discussed at the congress," said SoS Faal.

-0-

 Mayor Jeng Honoured

 By Lamin M. Fatty

The Gambia News And Report weekly magazine has named the Mayor of Banjul, Pa Sallah Jeng ‘Man of the Year 2005’.

Mayor Jeng wins the accolade of the year awarded by the paper after meeting the selection criteria. According to a news release, the selection was based on the conviction that Mayor Jeng’s case illustrates possibilities for the individual citizen who cares enough about his rights under a democratic dispensation and points to the importance of individual strength of character and high principles in the face of all adversities. It also indicated that the Mayor has shown a high level of self-restraint, personal discipline, forbearance and modesty especially in the face of accusations against him, which culminated to his suspension.

The release signed by the Managing Director of The Gambia News & Report Magazine, Mr. Swaebou Conateh further indicated that Mayor Jeng’s singular and exemplary achievements as an ordinary citizen who, imbued with a high sense of national service and devotion to civic responsibility, has successfully contested the 2000 mayoral election for Banjul as an independent candidate, despite formidable odds. "The leadership and administrative skills you have manifested in running the office of Mayor of Banjul with dignity, and in successfully implementing under adverse conditions imaginative and feasible policies aimed at increased revenue generation to fully meet the municipality’s budgetary requirements for both recurrent and capital expenditure is exemplary," the release stated.

"Above all, you have displayed the courage, determination and commitment in dealing with the problems of working with a council comprising a majority of members belonging to opposing parties," the release said, adding that this is best exemplified by the way and manner he successfully challenged in the High Court the procedure and basis used by the SoS for Local Government and Lands to wrongly suspended him from office.

Previous Man or Gambian of The Year named by the paper were Amadou Samba, Dr. Ebrima Samba, Dr. Lenrie Peters, Lamin Waa Juwara, Dr. Isatou Njie Saidy, Bye Lamin Jobe, Mrs. Harriet Ndow, Imam Karamo Touray, Hassan Jallow, Ousman B. Conateh (Fisco), Muhammed Jah and Deyda Hydara.

-0-

 4M CFA Visa Scam In Court

 By Buya Jammeh

Despite several warnings issued by the Kanifing Magistrate Court for people to desist from illegal visa deals, it implies that people are not paying heed.

Last Wednesday saw another visa scam involving 4 million CFA franc before Principal Magistrate, Kebba Sanyang. One Binta Barry (plaintiff), an Ivorian woman is claiming the said amount from one Lamin Bah and Musa Cham after failing to secure a US visa for two of her children.

In her testimony before the court, Mrs. Barry said her friend first introduced her to Mr. Bah and Cham. She said Mr. Bah called her on the phone from Dakar and asked her to meet with him in Jarra Soma. She narrated that they later left Jarra Soma for the Kombos and she was lodged at the Banana Ville Hotel in Kololi together with one Matlen Ayamou and Omar Jah. She said Mr. Bah and Cham later came to the hotel at around 12.30am for a discussion. "During the discussion, Lamin Bah and Musa Cham told me that they can secure two US visas within a month for my children but then I should make an advance payment of 1.5million CFA," she told the court, adding that after paying the said amount, she was issued with a receipt sign by Mr. Bah.

Mrs. Barry stated that she made subsequent payments on March 7th and 16th 2005 respectively, which totaled to 4 million CFA franc. The payment receipts were shown to the plaintiff, which she identified as the receipt given to her. The receipts were admitted and marked as exhibits.

She said while making the last two payments, she paid bank charges through Western Union an amount of 55, 000 CFA franc. She said she had come to The Gambia to receive the visas from the defendants but to no avail. I have been staying in Banana Ville for two months waiting without being given the visas.

-0-

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤