I AM COMMITTED TO NADD, Says Darboe

 By Sana Camara

When the Supreme Court decided that National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD) cannot be registered as an alliance of opposition ploitical parties, it nearly opened a flood gate of controversies, doubts and confusion among the citizenry while the future of Gambian opposition lies only on one thing - unity!

On the 25th of December 2005, one of the executive members of NADD Mr Ousainou Darboe had a chat with Portrait on many issues, centering on his political career, Gambian politics and current challenges facing NADD. Please read on....

Portrait: Would you tell us something about yourself?

Darboe: Well, I am what you’ve seen. (Laughs) I come from the hinterland of The Gambia - the CRD. I went to school in Bansang, St. Augustine’s. I read law at the University of Lagos and graduated with a bachelors’ degree in Law, before proceeding to the Federal Law School in Nigeria. It is worth noting that I am the first Gambian to read Law outside the traditional geographic area (U.K.). I also studied in Canada, did a Master’s Program in Law before coming home to briefly work for the government. It was seven years there before resigning in 1980 to start a private legal practise, setting-up Basang Sang Chambers. Basically, that is what I have been doing in my legal career.

You are a Lawyer by profession, why politics?

Let me say that law and politics are related in a mutually inclusive way. Constitutional law is a political document. When it comes to jurisprudence, you also read a great deal of political theory. But then, before the military came to power, I was not interested in politics. Suddenly, Gambians who were interested in seeing the country back to a democratic culture invited me to lead a party they have formed called the UDP. I took it as a unique honour and singular privilege to answer to this noble call. I also see it as a continuation of my father’s political legacy. It also showed the enormity of confidence those Gambians had in me. In the same vein, this made me discover certain qualities, which I could not discover in my person before.

We took up the challenge, even though we had to pay the price in strongly supporting the party’s course with intent to returning the country to its true democratic, peace loving, culture.

It has come to ten years today - what is your stake in politics under the APRC government?

A very horrible and hostile political environment! But, we have been taking solace in the fact that there are tens of thousands of Gambians who believe in and support our course. This gives us the impetus to keep going, even though many have suffered – in the form of torture, harassment, loss of jobs, properties, liberty and even asylum! But as you can see, somebody has to take that in order for the entire citizenry to be liberated and restored their dignity and rights to life, justice and economic development. It is the noblest course any one could undertake at this trying times of our historical evolution.

Your party (the UDP) contested and lost in two presidential elections. What will you subscribe to this?

We don’t see it as a loss, since the percentage of votes we garnered was possible in a very hostile political environment. In an otherwise different circumstance, the results will far outnumber what we scored. In 1996, all the security forces were engaged in political campaign of constant harassment, torture, kidnapping at night, as well as the arrest of influential UDP leaders like Kemesseng Jammeh, Kalagi Karamo Fatty, and Amadou Sanneh. Mr. Sanneh, our party treasurer, was arrested and severely tortured. You can still remember September 22nd at the Denton Bridge in 1996, when we were ambushed. With all these and many more, Gambian voters resisted it all and voted massively against Jammeh. Even though he was eventually declared the winner, he could not boast of scoring the sort of margin he hoped to get. In 2001, this margin drastically reduced by six percent.

Does this explain the amendment to Sec. 48 of the constitution to scrap-off the provisions of a second-round vote, if none of the contenders score more than half of the votes cast?

That is the only explanation! Because he knew that his popularity has been dwindling and he is loosing ground everywhere over the past ten years. How many years in recent times has he gone up river for a tour? It has been postponed for several times because of his fading popularity. But, there is a saying in Mandinka that "if you want to witness next year and next year doesn’t want you to witness it, then this year is not available." Come 2006, Jammeh will be out of State House through constitutional means.

With the formation of NADD, analysts believe such was crucial in order to make Jammeh’s dictatorship history in 2006. But is this not proving to be challenging?

Well, these challenges have been foreseen well before today – when we undertake such a unity in the first place! The trial of the ‘NADD Trio’ has just confirmed this. We knew the dictator will use every means, including extra judicial, to frustrate us. But we are not going to allow him frustrate us through confining us to the courtroom. By this, he hoped to have a free political terrain to himself. No, we wouldn’t allow that!

So what alternative strategy would NADD employ to disallow Jammeh not to confine you to the courtrooms?

We wouldn’t reveal that now because if we do, he would adapt counter measures!

The Indepen-dent has been privy to information that there is a growing mistrust between the rank and files of NADD. How true is this?

I don’t know what sort of mistrust people are talking about. What I know is that people are capable of saying things based on their personal imaginations. This should not be strange, especially to an organisation such as NADD, which comprise of five political parties and their leaderships - and hopefully, there may be additional parties joining the coalition. However, this may also be the work of opponents or those pretending to be NADD supporters, pretending to be committed to NADD when in fact, they are on the payroll of the opponents. These are the sorts of people who will go around saying there is distrust within NADD leadership.

Well you are talking of possibilities; but is it true that you are contemplating a pull out of NADD? Secondly if no, this is the second time such allegations are made against you, why you and not somebody else within the coalition’s ranks?

This is because there are people advancing such to put me in a bad light. Frankly, my party has the political muscle and there may be those who hate the course of Mr. Darboe and therefore resort to such. The last time the issue came up, the coordinator came up with a statement. Recently I read on the Internet, what I will regard as some silly comments - but at an appropriate time, the appropriate officers of NADD will meet and come up with a statement. What I can say right now is that I am committed to the coalition.

But how committed are you?

In the past by-election, I have manifested my commitment by going to all the constituencies and campaigning – in Serrekunda Central, Jarra West, Upper Saloum and Wuli West – all at my personal expense. This is an indication of my commitment because if I were not committed, I would have confined my campaign to only one constituency or asked NADD to provide funds for my campaign activities. And it is my view that my appearance in these constituencies made a little wouldn’t say much - difference.

Some analysts believe NADD is better off being registered as an alliance, instead of a political party. Do you share the same view?

Let me say that people are entitled to their opinions - and that is something I respect. But whether it is better off being registered as an alliance or a party, I express no particular view on it.

What do you have to say in reaction to assertions that the recent Supreme Court ruling on NADD’s registration has superficially imposed the alliance’s registration as a political party?

The Supreme Court found that it was registered as a political party but those who followed my arguments in the court will find that we didn’t want to register a political party but an alliance. However, the Supreme Court is the ultimate interpreter of the law and we couldn’t go further than that.

What is your relationship with Halifa Sallah?

Halifa is a gentleman I respect.

How can you explain your representation of his colleagues and not him, in the ‘NADD Trio’ trial?

The question of representation is personal. I am not representing O.J. and Hamat because I belong to NADD. There should be that distinction between Mr Darboe the lawyer and Mr Darboe the politician. I am representing them (O.J and Hamat) because I am a lawyer. It is constitutional that every accused person has a right to be represented by a legal practitioner of his or her choice, if he or she cannot defend him/herself. As I stated in court, Mr Sallah wants to represent himself and it is a view that we have to respect. This has nothing to do with politics.

The state has appealed against the High Court ruling that acquitted you of the charges of alleged murder. Some analysts believed it was a plot to end your political career because, in the words of President Jammeh, your acquittal was "a disaster to the maintenance of the rule of law" in the country. What do you make of it all?

In fact, the ambush at Chamoi was directed at murdering me. That could have been the end of my political career! But what I want to tell President Jammeh is that whatever he does or plans… (Quotes the Qur’an) he will fail. For I know I don’t harm even an ant. So to accuse me of murder is the biggest insult to my integrity because I don’t even defend people who are charged with murder. Well, I know they have appealed and we will meet in the courts….

What I find disturbing is for the Head of State to sit down and publicly say that he doesn’t have confidence in the judiciary. Yet, he is appointing people to the judiciary who are public servants. Does this mean he now has confidence in the judges he newly appointed to do the job for him? That was an unfortunate statement from him and I believe it was wrong for him to say such remarks against a court ruling. I have realised that any time he has the opportunity of speaking on the judiciary, he always refers to this case. The Attorney General has admonished lawyers to refrain from speaking on cases before the courts. I think that remark should have been directed at the President. We are waiting to see what his newly appointed judges entrusted with my case are going to do....

We understand that you also descended from a religious family background. Please, explain that?

It’s true that I come from a family that is God fearing – they believe very much in Islam and they did embrace Islam in all its ramifications. Probably I don’t fall into that category but I am also trying my best to be God-fearing in my relations with fellow-human beings. I try to follow the teachings of Islam. "Dobo" – my village is traditionally called "Karang Bantang" which in Mandinka, means a "Center of Learning" and I believe it is still a center of learning.

My great-great-grand father, Dobo Kemo was a man closer to God in the spiritual sense. His history explained that he had asked God to bestow blessings on his family descendants. So before he died, he promised that within the seventh generation of his lineage would be born, learned, wealthy or a people of leadership or authority.

But have your generation or yourself, seen the fulfilment of his prophesy?

Well, I am a fourth generation of his descendants, and my father Numukunda Darboe, was a MP. He was nearer to Dabo Kemo than me. As far as education is concerned, those who pursued the Islamic knowledge are quite a lot – my uncle Almami Sankung Darboe, who was living in Dakar and another uncle, Yusuf Darboe, are well-educated people. The later was a contemporary of Kamanding Kanteh of Siffoe who just passed away; The old-man in Senegal, Ma-Ngansu Nyang. My father I believe was also a learned person in his area of knowledge. And for those of us who pursued the conventional education, you’ll be surprised to know that Dr. Momodou Lamin Sedat Jobe is another great-great-grand child of Dobo Kemo. He is among several PhD holders, which include Dr Momodou Darboe, my brother. He is a professor at Sheppard college, the US; Dr Lamin Ceesay is the personal Assistant to Kofi Anan; Dr Sana Ceesay is a professor at Rust college, Mississippi, and you have the half-educated ones like myself, and Lamin Darboe, who was a magistrate in Senegal, (where he was brought –up) and became the Permanent Secretary to the speaker of their Assembly, and is currently working in the United Nations. So in a nutshell, all these are indications of his prophesy, or in other words, God has answered to his prayers.

What final message do you have for Gambians?

What I will tell Gambians is that the stakes are very high. It is the duty of every Gambian, whether a government minister or a labourer to make sure that in whatever sayings or doings they engaged in, it is in the ultimate benefit of the Gambian citizenry. It serves no purpose for anyone to engage him/herself in activities or utterances that have the effects of polarising the society, more so for those in leadership positions. It is their responsibility to behave or act in ways that will unify Gambians, irrespective if political, religious persuasions or place of origin.

It is my hope that as we enter the New Year, leaders will adopt new measures of executing their duties in conformity with their constitutional mandates, that I believe, will be in the ultimate benefit of all Gambians. I only hope that this New Year will witness such a change. Afterall, this is our country. If those in the executive think that they can use their positions to oppress their political opponents in order to achieve their goals, then they are making a great mistake. The Gambia is our homeland and we all have a stake in its development.

-0-

Is GPTC For Sale?

 By Habibu Ceesay

#F Reliable sources within The Gambia Public Transport Corporation (GPTC) have informed The Independent of The Gambia government’s resolve to sell the country’s only national transport company, following gloomy financial straits it continues to endure.

A senior staff working with the GPTC stated that the idea of selling the Corporation came up two years ago when the institution began facing serious financial dearth. "The documents are on the director’s desk awaiting approval since the company is bankrupt," our sources said, adding that this has culminated in the corporation’s incapability to pay its staff salaries.

Consequently, the Corporation has lost its best brains, many of who have left the company to pick employments at other companies. The company, it is alleged, is making it a tradition to take loans to pay its staff for several months now. "It owes a lot of money to series of financial institutions like Trust Bank, among others. I have the firm believe that the Corporation will never be able to pay those amounts of money in the current state of affairs. I think the government found it necessary to sell the company," another official said.

It is also alleged that the Gambia Ports Authority (GPA), has helped to bankroll the staff salaries for the month of November, though our reporter could not confirm this.

However, The Independent has not established which company is The Gambia government planning to sell the Corporation to, but it is believed that it has to go through a bidding process. Nonetheless, a senior official revealed that many business tycoons are planning to bid for the Corporation. "Some banks, which the Corporation owes money were also likely to be among the bidders", he said.

The Independent is also aware that some of the Corporation’s staff members are being contracted by the KMC to work for the ticketing department. "And at a time when thousands of rural folks are struggling to acquire transportation in order to spend the Muslim feast of Tobaski with their families up country, the GPTC has its fleet of buses parked dormant at its depots across the country. From head quarters in Kanifing, to Soma, Farafenni and Basse, these buses are lying idle, gathering dust and rust. Travellers upcountry are charged up to D500 per head as transport fares to Basse, excluding baggage. What will this mean for a family man who has to travel with his family to feast upcountry?" one irate woman complained to The Independent, with a baby in hand and two children tailing.

However, when contacted, the GPTC managing director Momodou Jagne described the proposed selling of the Corporation as news to him. He vehemently denied the Corporation owing any money to anybody including the staff. "We paid them their November salaries. They did not ask where the money came from or who gave it to us. They just accepted it," he said, suggesting "I think you should have come to my office and we trash these things out before calling me on the phone."

-0-

 "The Evidence Is Not Credible"

 By Buya Jammeh

 Lawyer Ousainou Darboe last Thursday told Magistrate Kebba Sanyang that there is no credible evidence from the witness testimonies to establish negligence on the part of his client Dr. Njie.

Lawyer Darboe is representing the defendant in the on-going civil suit between Astou Grey-Johnson and Dr. Baboucarr Njie. He however urged the court to dismiss the case.

In his submission before the court, Lawyer Darboe said the plaintiff Astou Grey-Johnson told the court that when Doctor Bubacarr up-rooted her uninfected tooth, she bled profusely and the cloth she wore had some bloodstains. "But the cloth was never brought before the court to proof the alleged bleeding."

Darboe added that the plaintiff also told the court that her doctor (Dr.Abraham Gaye) told her that Dr. Njie took the right steps when she visited him after her tooth was up-rooted.

"It is abundantly clear from Dr. Abraham’s testimony that a tooth without cavity doesn’t mean that it is a healthy one. The witness said he made some x-ray, which were never brought to the court to ascertain the health status of that tooth and therefore negligence cannot be pinned on my client. Furthermore, the second witness (Dr. Abraham) does not even have the dental history of the plaintiff nor did he ever requested for it to ascertain what was wrong," he said.

Darboe said Dr. Abraham admitted that he did not know the stage of the plaintiff’s sickness prior to the tooth infection. "He also admitted in his testimony that, he did not think that the infection was connected to Dr. Njie’s negligence. For that being the case, there is once again no evidence of negligence on the side of my client Baboucarr Njie," he firmly stated.

Darboe enquired why the 2000 Dollars invoice, which he described as a vital link, is missing. He further questioned that how can one receive a consultation in November 2004 while operation took place in July 2004. "Exhibit D states that the x-ray was done in July 2004 and it further states that the bridge on the gum of the plaintiff were fixed in November 2004. I therefore urge the court to dismiss the case because all the exhibits of this case are made up," he stated.

-0-

 In expired foodstuff case

Harris Proprietor Testifies

By Dawda Faye

The proprietor of Harris Supermarket, Suresh Kumar Wadwanni, who was charged for selling expired food items to the public testified before Magistrate Amina Saho-Ceesay of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court.

In his testimony, Mr. Wadwanni told the court that on the night of February 11th 2005, a group of NIA officers went to his house in Kanifing North and invited him together with three of his Indian employees to the NIA office in Banjul. According to him, upon arrival at the NIA headquarters in Banjul, he was asked to write a statement about his activities including the business and when he came to The Gambia. "I was kept at the NIA headquarters for two or three nights," he said. He added that during his detention the NIA conducted a through search of his house and his three supermarkets, mini market and warehouse. "We first went to my house and they found some expired items, which were kept for destruction at a later date. They decided to keep those items in one room in the house and kept the key. It is not allowed to keep expired items in supermarkets. The expired items were kept at the house for destruction under the supervision of health authority," he narrated.

Mr. Wadwanni stated that a similar search was conducted in Harris supermarket. "The NIA officers were checking both the food and non-food items." He said the officers found some expired items in the refrigerator chiller, which were to be destroyed on a later date. "No expired food item was found displayed for sale," he told the court.

Mr. Wadwanni in his testimony stated that he started Sonny Supermarket in February 1999 and Harris Supermarket in 2000 after applying for business registration. He said the department of State for Health issued him with a health certificate valid for six months after he had fulfilled all the necessary payment of taxes, which include income tax.

"This certificate is issued every six months because it was necessary for the inspection of the supermarket," he said, adding that the Health department never refused his Supermarkets’ operation.

-0-

 Tragedy Hits Mecca

By Ahmed B Saidybah

Tragedy has hit the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as some 34 pilgrims were officially confirmed dead and 59 others wounded after a building collapsed.

The collapse building, according to the Saudi officials, lays just 50 meters (yards) from Al-Masjid Al-Haram, Islam’s holiest shrine. Saudi rescue teams hunted for survivors in the ruins of a four-storey building in the Muslim holy city of Mecca. "Earthmovers and heavy lifting equipment roared through the night after Thursday’s tragedy," AFP reported.

Gen. Mansul Al- Turki, interior ministry spokesman, said the rubble of the hotel in a crowded street near the Great Mosque was being removed "very carefully" in the hope of finding entombed survivors. The spokesman, however, gave no breakdown of the nationalities of the dead. But survivors said most pilgrims staying in the hotel came from India, Libya, Pakistan or the United Arab Emirates. Emergency teams armed with sound-detecting gear have been working frantically since Thursday to try to locate survivors amid the rubble of the Luluat Al-Kheir (Pearl of Grace) hotel, which an official charged was overcrowded.

"Through our inspection of the site... there was a clear indication that the building was overloaded,"" said General Adel Zarnzami, Regional Civil Defence Director.

News of the hotel collapse spread, sparking concerns among the two million pilgrims gathering for hajj, according to Arab News. Saudi authorities had deployed some 60, 000 security personnel to try to prevent any repetitions of the deadly stampedes and structural failures that have marred previous pilgrimages.

More than 1.2 million Muslims from around the world have already arrived in Saudi Arabia for the annual hajj, which climaxes this year on January 9, when the pilgrims descend the Mount’ Arafat. They will be joined by around a million Saudi-based pilgrims.

Hajj consists of several ceremonies, which are meant to symbolize the essential concepts of the Islamic faith, and to commemorate the trials of Prophet Abraham and his family and it is one of the five pillars of Islam.

In 2003, 14 pilgrims, including six women, were killed during the first day of the symbolical stoning of the devil, 35 in 2001 and 118 in 1998. The worst toll was in July 1990, when 1,426 pilgrims were trampled or asphyxiated to death in a stampede in a tunnel in Mina.

-0-

 DESA Concern On Gender Violence

By Njonji Drammeh

The Development Studies Association (DESA) of the University of The Gambia (UTG) in collaboration with the African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS) commemorated 16 Days Gender Activism in a two-day forum on the theme: "Using Knowledge To Stop Gender Based Violence".

Speaking at the ceremony, president of DESA, Omar Kanteh said the aim of the association is to expose students to practical development issues within and outside The Gambia. "We also aim to engage in advocacy campaign on issues such as human rights, gender, democracy and environmental protection," he said, adding that the involvement of DESA in the 16 days Gender Activism has afforded them the opportunity to fulfil all the above mention issues. "The association is quite aware of the huge potentials that women can and are contributing towards the development of the country. Yet there are series of socio-cultural practices that impedes or hinders their actual contribution. Our concern with genders is the fact that as a small country like ours, we cannot afford to ignore 51 % of its population by insisting on narrow or indeed cultural practices, he firmly stated.

The Executive Director of Women’s Bureau, Ida Faye-Hydara called on all sectors to actively fight against gender violence. "It is happening and affecting both men and women," she said. "Everybody should be gender sensitive. The most critical challenge is poverty and poverty will never be reduce if there remains a gap between man and woman."

Fatou Kinteh, Director of FASE and Gender lecturer at UTG said gender violence is one of the obstacles that are hampering the advancement of woman. She criticised the police for regarding certain physical and psychological abuse as family matters.

DESA’s chief Adviser and lecturer at UTG, Dr. Boro Suso described the topic of the forum as timely. "If women’s roles are mend to stay in society, their contribution will be highly appreciated," he said, adding that DESA was established to conduct debates, symposiums and development studies.

-0-

Miss Egalitarian 2006 Crowned

 By Pa Modou Secka

The beauty pageant competition organised to mark the 9th career anniversary of Gambian rapper Egalitarian was won by Jarai Bah (JB), an ex-student of ICE Senior Secondary School.

The event sponsored by Gambega was recently held at the Totties nightclub, Senegambia. In an interview with The Independent, the 18-year-old Miss expressed satisfaction in winning the contest. " I am not surprised that I won as I was confident. My experienced sister Aminata Bah who once was Miss Anto-genic coached me. I am really proud of being crowned the first Miss Egalitarian," she stated.

Miss Bah indicated that she viewed the contest as an opportunity for her to participate in international beauty competitions. "Many influential people were there, there must be a chance for me to participate in international contests. Money did not motivate me, as I said it’s an opportunity for me as I want to become a professional in it," she said.

The programme co-ordinator Mr. Lamin Sonko underscored the importance of the anniversary as a way to bring fans together. "Music is a medium for peace, love and unity. This anniversary is a call to everyone to support The Gambian musical industry by attending shows, sponsoring events and buying albums.

Jarai Bah received a cash price of D1000, the first runner-up Amie Faye got D700. The 2nd runner-up Ramou Ngum received D500 whilst Ramatoulie Bojang got D300.

-0-

Gamtel Boosts RVTH

 By Pa Modou Secka

Winner of the 2005 Millennium Development Goals’ award, The Gambia Telecommunications Company limited (Gamtel), recently presented a cheque of D15, 000 to the Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital (RVTH) mortuary ward.

Presenting the cheque to RVTH on behalf of Gamtel’s Managing Director Omar Ndow, the PRO, Amadou Touray underscored the importance of the cash presented. "Gamtel will organize a party for the mortuary staff and patients of its ward. The party will not only serve food and drinks. It will serve as a motivation to improve patients’ health condition and staff at the mortuary," he stated.

Recounting Gamtel’s contribution to RVTH in 2005, Mr. Touray said Gamtel earlier this year gave a cheque of over D60, 000 for the purchase of some surgical gloves needed at the hospital. "Gamtel also donated 3 steel coffins. Also Gamtel exclu-sively sponsors RVTH mortuary ward staff salaries and other facili-ties. Last year a total of D50, 000 was sent to the hospital through the Gamtel board members. The pediatric ward of the AFPRC hospital in Farafenni is also being sponsored by Gamtel," Mr. Touray revealed.

"Furthermore, a cheque of 50,000 was also given to the health department as contribution to the polio immunization campaign," he added.

Mr. Touray also spoke of the support his institution rendered to the University of The Gambia (UTG) science students during the convocation ceremony.

"In recognition of the important role the RVTH renders to the nation, Gamtel gives a special concession to the hospital whenever it launches a massive disconnection campaign despite their huge arrears," he said.

He said Gamtel donated another D250, 000 from the proceeds of the profits realized during fund raising activities to the Operation Safe A Baby campaign. "These successes earned Gamtel the Millennium Development Goals award. When it comes to national issues, Gamtel is second to none," he concluded.

RVTH public relations officer Baboucarr Ngum received the presented cheque.

-0-

#A The Independent

Editorial : The Plight Of Our Pilgrims

Why has it become a tradition for our intending pilgrims to the Kingdom of Saudia Arabia to be left in the cold at Banjul International Airport, year in, year out?

Nobody is ready to supply an adequate answer to the above question. But what remains the truth is that the rights of our pilgrims have been abused on an annual basis. Pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca is an obligation on all Muslims endowed with good health and wealth. The journey is a fulfillment of the fourth pillar of Islam. It is described as one of the world’s biggest gatherings that attract at least 2.5 Muslims all over the world. Known as hajj in Arabic, the event is punctuated with several rites but without Arafat, hajj is invalid.

Our pilgrims are now used to being stranded, this year being no exception when the entire airlifting of pilgrims is left in the hands of Gambia International Airlines (GIA). The irony is that flimsy excuses were given for banning private hajj operators whose services proved better than the national carrier. As usual, GIA officials who promised to airlift pilgrims to perform the hajj rites on time, succeeded in making last minute arrangements. While GIA officials were negotiating a carrier for our pilgrims, those from other countries have gone far into their hajj rites. After waiting in vain for a month, the first batch of our pilgrims finally departed Gambian shores on January 1st, again leaving behind a thousand plus others. While wondering about their fate, these pilgrims spent the night at the airport.

By the time our pilgrims arrive for hajj, which requires too much energy, they become tired and frustrated mainly because of the struggle they had gone through at home. This will surely affect them to carefully carry out their hajj rites.

We agree that some private hajj operators in the past performed badly. But that does not mean the government should hide behind that cloak and elbow out everyone, including those who offer better services. By giving hajj operations in the hands of only GIA contravenes the free market economy because there is absence of competition. And without keen competition, there will of course, be poor service delivery.

In collaboration with private operators, we hope the government would be brave enough to review this year’s hajj arrangements. Gambians need to know the whys and wherefores of the delay of our pilgrims. And even when the need arises, a commission of inquiry should be set up to probe into the issue. We hope this advice would be carefully considered because we cannot keep on repeating the same problem over and over.

-0-

Take God With You

"All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever." 1 Peter 1:24-25 (Article 268)

by Galandou Goree Njie

As we usher in the New Year this 2006, the road may seem long – and probably too long indeed. Yet another twelve months, call it 365 days and we still don’t seem to have gotten to where we want to be! Well, why not take God with us.

The year 2005 has just gone past us, and if we had not been counting our blessings then it could well have been all remorse, problems, challenges, tests and trials along the way. Would you dare to look back?

Working for God or for yourself can be quite an arduous task. The results can be fleeting with nothing concrete to show for your sweat and worst you feel spent. Well, it’s time to ask oneself the question; have I been making the battle mine as well as claiming the victory or have I left it all in the hands of the Almighty God? It’s time to stand back and watch where God wants to take us rather than take the lead role in a matter we know nothing about; to submit ourselves to the power of God at work in us to accomplish His supreme will in our life?

Elijah that great prophet of old had just finished the slaughter of 450 of Baal’s prophets when they failed to call upon their god to act in a duel pitching the God of Israel against Baal. Their partisan approach to the worship of God, the Jehovah, had provoked this confrontation. Elijah had called on his God and he had answered by fire burning up the drenched wood upon which he had offered the sacrifice of a bull. The Baal god failed to turn up at the encounter and so Elijah won the day for Jehovah, his God. (Read 1 Kings 18:16-40)

When the outcome of the encounter reached queen Jezebel’s ears, she sent word to the prophet Elijah to say "May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them." (1 Kings 19:2) In other words, ‘consider yourself dead, if I run into you tomorrow at this time.’ Whatever happened to the courage and boldness Elijah displayed when he faced the prophets of Baal, because soon after this threat, he took to his heels and fled for his life?

Elijah was in a very poor state after his victory. He became depressive and afraid. He laid his servant off after travelling to Beersheba in Judah and continued a day’s journey into the desert. Under a broom tree where he sat, he prayed that he might die. "I have had enough, Lord. Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors." (1 Kings 19:4-5) Sound familiar?

When despondency sets in God comes to meet us at our point of need. The prophet Elijah was found languishing under a tree. Sometimes we become weary in accomplishing the task God has assigned us and we want to throw in the towel. There is too much opposition, the path is strewn with too many stumbling blocks and we want to call it a day. When we tend to go under, God will raise us up. When we feel it is all over, can’t handle it any longer and can go no further, God will prop us up for the last lap or the finish.

God wouldn’t let his servant ‘miss the mark’ and so He sent an angel to Elijah where he lay under the tree fast a sleep in a suicidal mood. The angel touched him and said. "Get up and eat." There before his very eyes was "a cake of bread baked in hot coals and a jar of water." He got up, ate and drank but went back to sleep. Overwhelmed, worn out and weary, Elijah succumbed to sleep again. This first shot did not wake him up from his slumber.

The angel of the Lord paid him another visit and as he touched him to wake him up, he said: "Get up and eat for the journey is too much for you." That did it. Reinforced, revived and regenerated, Elijah ate, drank and stood on his two feet ready for the challenge. The Bible account continues; "Strengthened by that food, he travelled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God." (1 Kings 19:8-9)

If you feel downcast and defeated God is ready to feed

you with the bread and water of life that will energise you for the journey ahead and thus enable you accomplish His assignment.

Let us not enter 2006 with the

weariness of 2005. We are starting off on a clean sheet and we need sustenance from God. Jesus is saying to each and every one of us this 2006.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:29)

-0-

Tribute To The Late Kama Badjie

 Continued from Last edition Alhaji Kama was a man of many parts. He manifested interest in politics at the time Gambians were granted the franchise in 1947. He was a member of the Gambia Young Peoples Association, which also championed this cause.

In 1951, when the Banjul Young Muslim Society metamorphosed to a political party, he became a member and vigorously supported the candidature of I. M. Garba Jahumpa to the Legislature in that year. In 1952, the Muslim Congress Party was created so as to give it a national coverage. In the turn of events, the congress entered into a complete merger with the P.P.P. in 1968. Kama thus became an executive member of the party.

In 1982, he had his first taste of political appointment, when he was nominated a member of the House of Representatives and appointed Minister of the Interior on 14th August 1982. He was also appointed Confederal Minister delegated to the Confederal Minister of Security, Senegambia Confederation. He held this post until 1987.

Prior to being appointed a Minister and soon after his retirement in 1979, Alhaji Kama was appointed Ambassador to the Royal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and he served in this capacity from 1st May 1979 -13th August 1982. A major achievement during this assignment was that, he acted as a catalyst in the Saudi Government’s agreement to build a Central Mosque in Banjul following the abortive arrangements with Libya.

In the wider field of public duties, Alhaji Kama served the following organisations and held positions there as follows: -

Gambia teachers Union 1950-1959 (President 1954-70);

Member National Committee of the West African Examination Council 1965 -1979;

Member National Advisory Council on Education 1959- 1979;

Boys Scout movement 1936-1959;

Elected to Banjul City Council 1952-1954;

At one time, Chairman Board of Governors Gambia College; President, Renascent Youth Club 1950-1972;

Honorary Life President of The Gambia Teachers Union.

For this, and all other public service to the nation, Alhaji Kama was in February 1989 decorated with the Insignia of Officer of the Order of The Republic of the Gambia (ORG). He was also appointed a Justice of the Peace. In 1992, Alhaji Kama was appointed Minister of Education. An office he held until the military takeover in 1994.

In the field of wider community service, Alhaji Kama on his return from Fourahbay College promoted the founding of The Renascent Youth Club in 1951. The aim of the club was inter-alia to cater for the development of the intellectual, social and moral standards of all people in the Gambia. Quite an ambitious objective, but it is on record that the club provided many eminent Gambians in many spheres of Gambian life. A sense of modesty will not allow my mentioning the names of such Gambians, but it would suffice to say that they made quite an impact in the socio-economic development of the country, particularly during the devolution of responsibilities to the indigenous Gambians as a prelude to the Gambianisation of the Civil Service.

In order to foster closer association with his friends and colleagues, the Kamden Attaya vouz spontaneously sprung up at 21 Gloucester street, (now Tamsir Demba Ndow Street) the family home of our dear friend late Alhaji K.C. Sallah. This was another useful forum for intellectual discussions and other social activities concomitant with youth development. With the passage of time, the members have dwindled. At these meetings, Kama was the heart of the Party as he entertained us with his jokes and anecdotes. Because of its proximity to the mosque, the vouz members would readily retire to the Mosque whenever the Muezzin made a call for prayer. This endeared the vouz to the Muslim Elders. It was against this background that the elders of the Independence Drive Mosque, on grounds of old age, decided in 1989 to handover the organisation of the Mosque’s annual Maulud Nabi (Gamo), celebration of the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammed (Salla lahu Alaihe Wasaleem) to this vouz.

Most of the vouz members, over time, graduated to membership of the Committee of Banjul Muslim Elders. Alhaji Kama was one such person. He was also appointed Chairman of the King Fahad Mosque Management Committee. He served on both Committees until his demise. His departure has left us with a vacuum but we comfort in the fact that the Gambian public in their thousands share this loss with his family, and the nation at large. He survived by his wives, children and grand children.

Sydina Ali Bun Abu Talib, the fourth caliph, in his maxims said "The good man is alive even when he has been carried to the home of the death". Alhaji Kama is one such person. May Allah shower His blessings on him, ( Amen).

-0-

 Little Sainey Seeks Help

 By Lamin Njie

 A 10 year-old boy, Sainey Danso from Lamin village is seeking for assistance to go for overseas treatment.

Sainey sustained a leg injury while playing soccer with his mates at school. As a result of this injury, he stopped attending lessons in school, because the injury had regenerated into a full-blown wound. Little Sainey is now suffering from chronic Osmolities. Life for Sainey was almost at a standstill until Peggy Barnard met him through her driver, Lamin Conteh. Peggy’s first intervention in Sainey’s life was the provision of wheel chair to give the hitherto confined boy a freedom of movement. Peggy also secured a suitable medical care in The Gambia for Sainey and was successful in this direction by paying the entire medical bill on his behalf.

"I will leave no stone unturned until Sainey Danso’s wound is fully cured and is able to walk and attend school again like any other children, she vowed.

Today, Peggy is looking for ways and means to enable Sainey undergo overseas treatment because, according to her, "The Gambia lacks the facility to do this." "I am appealing to the general public for support in this direction because Sainey Danso like any other child has the right to be educated but without this vital operation, this cannot be achieved.

Any one interested in helping Sainey Danso can contact Peggy on (0220) 7749983 or 9946645 or 7709579

-0-

 Eternal Love II

 by Fatoumatta Garba

"That makes it even better. There is something called catch them young. The younger they are the better they become at anything. Besides, kids of today are far more energetic and grasp things a lot faster than kids were when we were growing up. I am sure she will do quite well and not destroy her bones," her father said.

"I guess I will not be able to change your mind any way, so I won’t try. But don’t say I did not warn you," the mother said.

"In the future, you will see that it is a good decision. She is a very active girl and I think that we should channel all of that energy into something worthwhile for her good and that of us, her parents."

"I do not dispute any of that I just think that you are spending too much time with her. You have for instance been neglecting my needs since she came into the world."

"Oh come on not again. How many times will I tell you that this is only your figment? No such thing is happening. And like I’ve told you a time without number there is no way that I can transfer the love I have for you to my daughter. The love I have for her is different from the one I have for you. I could never love you the way I love my daughter and I could never love my daughter the way I love you. The love that I have for the two of you is different and distinct. Don’t let jealousy cloud your judgment."

"Oh, Adama I hope I did not hear you right? Who says I am jealous of my daughter?"

I am sorry but that is the impression I get from your complaining about every thing that I decide to do for Mariam, you and I know that this did not start today."

She had heard enough so she walked away from the door. As she went back to her room she though about a thousand and one things that she would do to hurt her mum. By the time she got to her room, she knew that she had nothing but hate for her. How could any woman be jealous of her own daughter? The question kept reverberating in her head. But no answer made sense to her. The only thing she could think about was how to get back at her. It was that bad. She thought about all the things that her daddy would have introduced her to had it not been for her mum who was apparently putting a wedge between her and her progress. Her teacher had been right; it is very easy to move from happiness to sadness. She had so speedily moved from the happy girl she was to a very bitter and sad girl who had no other business in the world but to go all out and cause her mum pain and sorrow.

After she listened to that conversation, she started to refuse to do anything her mum asked her to do.

But if it were her dad, she would do what he wanted even before he told her. Once he told her, "You seem to be reading my mind, Mariam." She had noticed that she had only to think about something and the next moment it was done. "And you are such a small girl I wonder what you do when you are bigger."

Her mum did not like that at all. She could see the way she made her face. She (Mariam) was completely happy about the whole affair. You could say the reason why she was throwing herself at her dad was to make her mum jealous. It was working like magic. Her dad even made things worse.

It is true that he made that remarkable statement he made to her mum but the truth is that he was spending more time with her. He loved her and the love he felt for her could have been a lot deeper than the one a man feels for his woman. He may have loved her but he knew where to draw the line. He was the one who helped her took her bath till she was old enough to do it herself.

Mariam has heard stories of daddies who got into bed with their daughters but she was not afraid that her daddy would do any such thing. He loved her like a father loves a daughter.

Mariam is a grown woman she has a child of her own, and she is beginning to understand how her mum had felt those times when she stood in the way of her daddy’s love for her. She has tried to turn back the hands of time. She has succeeded in mending fences with her mum; lucky for her she did that before she got her own children, if not she would have felt really terrible having to do it now.

Her mum never gave birth to another the child. But one day after she went to university, she came back home and apologized to her mum. She just laughed and told there was really noting to forgive since she had done that long since.

-0-

Let’s Cut The Crap!

And Find The Way Forward

By Ousainou Mbenga

As a member of the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD), by way of our party National Democratic Action Movement (NDAM) being a member of the coalition of "opposition" parties; I think it is high time to cut through the deceptions, obvious hidden agendas and foul dishonesty that permeated the mode of operation within and particularly outside the coalition.

Listen up! To all you detractors and saboteurs, it’s too late;

NADD will not crumble. The Gambian people have gained political maturity; we know what is at stake in our beloved Gambia.

If we are looking for an easy way out of this rot-of-a regime, or a short cut to victory by focusing only on winning the elections and the desires to become "government officials", then we equally harbor the same aspirations as Jammeh and the other neocolonialist bandits that plague our lives in Africa.

Categorically, we will take no part in this drama of tragic consequences. Jammeh and his APRC must go but we must stubbornly pursue the path to total liberation through a system- change.

From the onset of forming the coalition, we raised some fundamental questions to the coalition of the opposition parties and to the Gambian masses in general. Form a coalition for what and a Coalition with whom? We also pointedly raised the issue of the inherent contradictions of coalitions, especially in Africa. This contradiction being: the coming together of five political parties with different methods, approaches and ideology to fight a common enemy. Not that it was impossible to come together but that the basis for its success must be grounded in HONESTY, THRUTHFULNESS an unwavering commitment to uproot the errors and crimes of the entire system that suppresses the imagination by chaining the brains of our people. It is unfortunate but urgently necessary to bring up these questions and issues again because we seem to be going off our course and track, especially after building tremendous momentum following the maiden rally of NADD on May 29, 2005 and our resounding victory in the by-elections despite the IEC and judicial manipulations of the votes in Saloum to Hamat Bah’s demise. We have no other sensible choice but to do the work right. Why must we open ourselves to defeat by the dying but not yet dead APRC? To us, there is no possibility of defeat by the infamous Jammeh regime if we do the ground work right. Commonly, we are reminded of the "reality on the ground" but the fact of the matter is that, one can be on the ground and still miss the "reality on the ground".

The ground in the Gambia has been fertile for quite some time, what is missing is ACTION! ACTION! ACTION!

A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE

Three years ago on the weekend of July 4, 2003, a group of Gambians in Atlanta, Georgia under the name of AGERA (Atlanta Gambians Emergency Relief Agency) spearheaded the first "Meet the Diaspora Summit" which in earnest popularized the idea and need for a coalition of the "opposition parties" to effectively contest the 2006 presidential elections.

In my view, it was an awesome summit, notwithstanding some organizational errors. Well, it is understandable making an error but it is quite a different thing to ignore an error especially with blinders on.

Sekou Toure said it best, that "the only people, who don’t make mistakes, are the people who don’t do anything".

This year 2005; the July 4 activities were organized by Save the Gambia Democracy Project (SGDP). In the same vein as AGERA, the SGDP organized a sequel to the "Meet the Diaspora Summit" to bolster the coalition.

Since this group of Gambians who make up AGERA and SGDP are doing something about the wretched conditions in our beloved Gambia, we will handle and resolve our differences and contradictions in a non-antagonistic manner, unlike how we will handle contradictions with the enemy of the Gambian people – Jammeh’s APRC.

Personally, I am not seeking to be liked by anyone, especially Jammeh when it comes to being truthful and for the liberation of Africa. If it is true that we are genuinely united for a system change which includes uprooting the APRC and Jammeh; we must be willing to accept developmental criticism.

To avoid the pain of regret after the elections, we must be willing to put our presumed political maturity to the test.

First, deflate and surrender the ego, it hinders genuine and honest work such as the task to uproot AFPRC-APRC and establish a proud – future Gambia. Deflating the ego is a prerequisite in ORGANIZATION; it opens up the channels to social and political consciousness thereby making one receptive to COOPERATION.

Secondly, we must expunge the obsessive drive for competition out of our mindset to see the real issues and what is at stake. How can we expect to achieve and accomplish any of these lofty goals we set when we engage in this absurd competition among ourselves?

This illogical competition is razor-sharp within SDGP and NADD and to my dismay with some party affiliated members of SDGP against NADD. A point of caution to SDGP; don’t tailor your organization to the likes of the so called "watch dog" organizations in the west and make knee jerk demands of NADD. I intend never to shield NADD from criticism; in fact no one needs permission from anybody to make criticism of the political process.

Contrary to popular belief, competition is very unhealthy, especially among the powerless and colonized minds. Thirdly, COOPERATION is the primary solution to our powerlessness and to the decolonization of our minds. Consider this common practice among our enemies; they have the developed the ability to abandon their differences instantly whenever their interest is threatened and gang-up against us to protect that interest. We cannot compete from a position of powerlessness and expect solutions to our extreme problems.

At this point I want to direct this portion to the NADD-5, Waa Juwara, Halifa Sallah, Hamat Bah, Omar Jallow and Ousainou Darboe. With the exception of Hamat, all four leaders came to the U.S with Darboe on a separate trip. Six months have lapse since your return and we are yet to see any tangible signs to choose a "flag bearer". You have countless meetings to no avail. In Atlanta, Waa Juwara suggested that upon your return all of you should call for a press conference to declare your interest to be a "flag bearer" but it never happened. Quite honestly we don’t have time to wait for you to come to a consensus because that will not happen if all of you are interested. Here is my question-suggestion: since power belongs to the people, should we decide and select the person we want to be the "flag bearer"? With all due respect, we have waited for too long for you to come to a consensus. We can no longer afford to be paralyzed by indecision. Name the flag bearer now!

Let us wield power through cooperation as oppose to competition among ourselves and all else will fall into place. The issue at stake is power to the Gambian people; the enemy is Jammeh and his AFPRC-APRC. NADD is the only solution and the only alternative to the Jammeh regime. From this point on NADD and SGDP should adopt the cooperation approach and solidify an unshakable base to counter all actions to undermine NADD. It is too late NADD will not crumble from within or from without. Our eyes are set on the prize- VICTORY! Once again, let us show the world that we have the ability to subordinate our differences and work towards our common interest, uprooting the Jammeh regime.

APRC MUST MELT IN 2006! LONG LIVE NADD!

APRC MOVE OVER OR WE WILL MOVE ON OVER YOU!

-0-

 Jerreh, A Player In The Making

 Namory Trawally

 Things are looking up for the 24 years old Gambian born UMass Lowell (Canada) basketball player Jerreh Saidybah. Standing 6-6 and weighing a solid 205 pounds, it’s hard to imagine that Jerreh Saidybah once aspired to be a figure skater.

The UMass Lowell sophomore forward, recruited by Lowell coach Ken Barer has only been playing organized basketball for five years.

There are games when Saidybah can be the dominant player on the court, as he was in UML’s 74-69 victory over Southern New Hampshire recently. Saidybah scored a career-high 23 points on 9-for-12 shooting, grabbed six rebounds, and didn’t commit a turnover in 31 minutes.

Then in the very next game against Stonehill, Saidybah scored just three points in 18 minutes on 1-for-5 shooting and turning the ball over three times in an 80-68 loss.

But for someone who had never seen ice, much less a basketball, until he was 12 years old, Jerreh Saidybah has come a long way, both figuratively and literally.

Born in 1981 in The Gambia, Saidybah immigrated with his parents to Canada in the winter of 1994.

The Saidybah family settled in Montreal, and there were football teams, a sport Jerreh had played all his life. But he also learned to roll skate, got interested in ice hockey, and played on local ponds.

"My parents couldn’t afford to pay for me to be in a league, so that’s when I quit hockey," he said. "But I loved ice skating."

His parents couldn’t afford to send him to an English language school in Quebec. So he was immersed in a French language school and learned to speak it well in two years. He also turned his attention to figure skating for a while. At the time he was only about 5-9 and didn’t start to grow rapidly until his last year at Centre Jeanne Sauve High School.

Then one day, while he was fooling around with a basketball on a neighbor-hood playround, a neighbor whom he knew only as "Mr. Big" approached him.

"To be honest, if it wasn’t for him, I would not be here,"

In Quebec, se-condary educa-tion ends at age 16. Having gra-duated from high school, Sai-dybah enrolled at Vanier College, played basketball, and was named Rookie of the Year after his first season. Barer spotted him playing in a summer league and was impressed with his raw ability.

"I talked with his coach, and he said he had only been playing for two years," Barer said. "But his athleticism was tremendous, and his skill level could be improved upon. I could see he could play at a very high level.

"I think one of my strengths as a coach is developing players. I saw a lot of potential, and he was also a super young man."

Saidybah’s coach, Andy Herzog, took the Vanier team to play in prep school tournaments in New England, and during an off day the team visited UMass Lowell to watch the River Hawks play.

"I liked what I saw," Saidybah said. "I did some research and found the school had exactly what I wanted. I was recruited by some other schools, but I didn’t give them any thought, because this was where I wanted to play."

Saidybah is majoring in criminal justice.

His playing time as a freshman with the River Hawks was limited. But as he improves, his minutes have climbed.

After his fabulous performance against a tough SNHU team, Saidybah showed he could be an impact player at the Division II level.

"This was just a glimpse of the kind of player Jerreh Saidybah can be," Barer crowed after that game.

A bad outing against Stonehill was just an example of the inconsistencies that mark an inexperienced player, and Barer was not discouraged.

"The only thing that will keep Jerreh from reaching great heights is Jerreh himself," Barer said. Courtesy of The Gambia Journal

-0-

Seedia Ceesay: A Pillar Of Success

By David Thoronka

 Gambian football fraternity is gradually experiencing the emergence of uprising footballers that will inevitably take over the struggle of propelling Gambian football to higher height.

In view of that, Independent Sports went on scouting after what many observers called a surprising footballing season. The tour was to recognise and talk to some of the players who have made the past football season great.

One of such players is Seedia Ceesay, a midfield defender who resides in Tallinding. Ceesay like many started playing football since childhood. But he realised his potentials in sport when he helped Bundung primary school win the inter-primary school league championship in 1984.

"After completing my course at the GTTI Business department, my ambitions in football grew tremendously. This led me to join the Juventus FC of Serrekunda East in 1998. During my stay with Juventus F.C I did extremely well and sent the team to a double finals of the Nawettan," Ceesay said.

However, this time was a trying time for Ceesay in Juventus F.C, as his team struggled to win the league and lost the FA cup. "My stay with the team reached its climax when I joined the team to Dakar to play the championship of the Dakar Nawettan in 2001.Thus this was my first international encounter and we won," he proudly said.

As a determined player, we went on to join Leeds United in 2002 and certainly assisted the team to qualify for the Nawettan that same year. Ceesay is not a profuse goal scorer, as the nature of his role in the field does not permit him to stray.

Ceesay is currently with the Cherno Samba Academy of Football and through his hard work, dedication and team spirit he has aided the Academy’s team (Samger) to be promoted from 3rd to 1st division side.

Ceesay likes Ndaga music. His favourite dish is Benachin. He seldom goes to nightclubs and his most admired player in Europe is Makelele. "My favourite Gambian player is Ebrima Jaiteh of Samger. I would like to advice all aspiring footballer to work hard, respect the rules of the Game and be patriotic," he said.

-0-

 More Constituencies Than Districts In Gambia

 By Lamin Njie

 The Department of State for Local Government and Lands (DoSLGL) has revealed that there are more constituencies than districts in The Gambia.

A press release from DoSLGL states that as a result of this, more constituencies are left without District Chiefs. Places like Nyakoi in Wuli west, Fulladu East Basse, Tumana-Upper Fulladu and Sabah Sanjal are constituencies without district chiefs. To solve this variance, the above constituencies have been turned to districts.

In this connection, in North Bank Mam Biram of Njeyen Sanjal is the new chief of Sabah Sanjal district, in Upper River Division Alagie Yusupha of Taibato is the new chief of Nyakoi in Wuli West district. Julaba Konma of Tambasangsang is the new chief of Tumana district.

The release added that the name of the new chief of Fulladu East Basse would be announced in due course. While in Central River Division, the releases add that the new chief of Upper Fulladu district is Biram Baldeh of Sinju Chanderi.

All this is in line with the decentralisation process, which seeks to make districts correspond with constituencies and thus harmonise and enhance local governance.

-0-

 Cattle Rustlers Strike Kombo East

 By Alieu Darboe

Barely two days before Muslims around the world observe the feast of Tobaski, cattle rustlers have once again reportedly strike Kombo East.

Reports indicated that the cattle rustlers used the cover of darkness to raid the area and disappear with sheep and goats. One such victim of the recent rustling is Malang Kassama of Kafuta village. He said the rustlers stole four of his goats. "It’s becoming a culture that every time Tobaski festivity is approaching, rustlers will strike," he said, lamenting that he spends a huge amount of money to get the stolen goats.

Musa Bah of Giborroh stated they feel isolated when it comes to security. "We do not enjoy any peace anytime Tobaski feast approaches. One has to remain sleepless if you want your livestock to witness the festivity," he said, calling on the public to be vigilant in order to address the situation.

Foday Jarju described cattle rustling as a tradition. He called on the government to allow livestock owners be armed. "There are times one cannot challenge the rustlers with bare hands because they are always armed to the teeth," he said.

Residents of Kafuta reported that since the approach of the Tobaski feast, they have lost over twenty of their livestock. Similar reports also emerge from Kombo South, North and Central.

-0-

 £10, 000 For Bansang Hospital

 Bansang Hospital is to benefit from 10, 000 Pound raised in just three weeks to transform the lives of patients needing hospital treatment in the country.

The challenge to raise the said amount came just days after Anita Smith made her emotional appeal to fund a shipment of medical supplies to Bansang Hospital in The Gambia. Readers of her appeal began to dig deep, raising thousands of pounds within weeks. Thanks to the donation that the consignment of life saving supplies will be shipped over to the hospital next month.

Mrs. Smith said: "Sincere thanks go to the Evening Telegraph for its continued support and to the many people who have donated money but have not given their address so I can write and thank them."

The Orlingbury housewife began raising money for the hospital after a family holiday to The Gambia 13 years ago. "Since then our readers have raised £98,000."

Mrs. Smith added she is both humble and proud at the way the people in the area and beyond have responded to the needs of the patients in Bansang Hospital. "The greatest gift that has been given over the Christmas period is the fact you have helped alleviate the suffering and saved the lives of so many children who would have died without your help," she said. "I put my hope in the generous people of Northamptonshire that they would once again respond to this urgent appeal and I am so proud of them for their help."

-0-

Don't just search. Find. MSN Search Check out the new MSN Search! ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤