There is a disturbing pattern of theft of land and homes and to resell such stolen properties to unsuspecting buyers and sometimes complicit realtors in West Africa. The problem is most acute in Senegal where I am reliably informed that a mayor Diop is serving 6 years in prison for such grand larceny. I came across an instance in Mali where this has occured by the Mayor of Djeguenebougou. More odious is the fact that this mayor dispossessed some 1000 families of their modest improvements with the excuse that the land was appoertioned by government act (which letter seems to be forged) to resettle victims of flood from Nafadji commune. The case is still ongoing, but the tribunal has not, to my knowledge, issued any estoppel to cease construction and resale of the contested parcel, while the case is being litigated. This constitutes a travesty of justice and gross negligence not only on the part of the Mayor, but also on the part of the magistrates.

Generally, such opportunities for theft by Mayors and chiefs present themselves at the confluence of customary land tenure regimes and constitutional land reform acts. A similar event happened in Gambia where folk in Brufut and Half-die were dispossessed of their homes without fair market value compensation under the pretext of eminent domain. In the latter, it was the expansion of the Banjul Port and in the former, the plans of the Tourism Development Authority and Taf-Taf Bereft of Gardens, Theft of Brufut land, that were the official reasons for the gross negligences and crimes.

I am not terribly surprised that such could happen in Senegal and Gambia, but I was incensed that the tribunal in this community of Mali have not issued estoppel or at the very least order due compensation to the dispossessed and appropriate alternative housing. Because in this case, eminent domain was not issue and there is fraudulent agency and falsification of records at play. This mayor ought to be relinquished of his post without prejudice even as the case continues. For the mere fact that the dispossessed property is being developped and sold as a private, not public venture. Nevermind the fraudulent agency and falsification of records. I will lodge my consternation with the President's office and the minister responsible for lands and local enclaves. I will share the culprit report with you tomorrow with translation. It has a lot of legal language so I apologise in advance for error in translation but I promise to do due-diligence between now and tomorrow to capture the essence and more.

Haruna.
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい