Mbading,

I sincerely dont know what our dear friend is complaining about,even though the story is from freedom newspaper .There are refugges in the Gambia even though  he is calling Jammeh a Dictator and want to help people in exile.

For Freedom

Saiks

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:49:23 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Gambian Charity Worker In Norway Lambasts Freedom Editor Over Senegal Refugee Report
To: [log in to unmask]

Gambian Charity Worker In Norway Lambasts Freedom Editor Over Senegal Refugee Report

Published 02/18/2009 - 5:38 p.m. GMT

Rate This Article:

1

Credit - Freedom Newspaper
Mr. Pa Nderry Mbai, Editor/Publisher of Freedom Newspaper criticised for reports on Gambian refugees in Dakar, Senegal
Dear Ndey Tapha,

First of all, as a charity worker living overseas, I have the highest respect for the Gambia Press Union which is why I have decided to write to you.

It is distressing to read fabricated reports by Pa Nderry Mbai that Gambians in exile are 'suffering badly' in Dakar. Many Gambians both at home and abroad can't believe such statement would be written by a fellow Gambian. Therefore, these false and unfortunate claims should be rebutted.

We are all aware of the hospitality of the Senegalese people towards  refugees, especially Gambians living in Dakar. Also, the international humanitarian groups in Dakar are so helpful to these people because they are aware of the cruelty they suffered back home. Pa Nderry wrote:

"One of the Gambian refugees lamented that his situation is almost on daily basis degenerating from bad to worse because he's currently without a job and receives no assistance from any local or international organisations. In Dakar, many Gambian exiles rued the high cost of rent, food and other incidentals and therefore called on the international community to look into their plight".

Trying to demonize the people who are helping our own brothers and sisters is unfair and totally dishonest. So in order to be fair, the GPU should come out and condemn these lies from Pa Nderry without further delay. I even fear the plights of these refugees with such reckless reports.

We are aware that Pa Nderry fooled Justice Darboe and Omar Bah and lured them into believing that he was capable of helping them to travel to the United States. He was doing this just to use these journalists for his selfish interest and later dumped them. Thanks to GPU's friend Professor Kwame Kari kari of the Media Foundation for Africa in Ghana that Omar Bah was rescued. The same Pa Nderry turned around and abused Kwame for no good reason and still everyone is quiet.

Since Pa Nderry has succeeded in exploiting Justice Darboe by pretending that he was a co-author with his younger brother Alagie Mbai, he managed to use such lies to apply political asylum for his younger brother in the United States and left Justice Darboe stranded in Senegal. So why did Pa Nderry failed to elaborate on that fact?

Instead of trying to rectify all his mess over the years, Pa Nderry is abusing the press by further attempting to create division with our Senegalese friends. If such irresponsible reports persist, these poor people in exile may end up having some trouble and I wonder who will be held responsible? Can Pa Nderry protect these people? How many dozen Gambians are still in serious trouble back home due to Pa Nderry's recklessness and careless journalism?

Pa Nderry is just sitting at his computer with strange imaginations and with no better job whatsoever, while these humanitarian guys are on the ground helping desperate people. Yet, he has the nerves to lie against this wonderful people.

His report is a complete lie. I personally met Gambian refugees just few months ago (I mean less that 6 months ago) and I know that such statement is one of ungratefulness and unrewarding on the part of Pa Nderry.

I understand Demba Jawo frequently works in Dakar and he should have known better than Pa Nderry who has no better job in Raleigh, but to sit down fabricate stories against decent and helpful people. I am hundred percent sure Demba Jawo would have been the first person to condemn such things if it was true. But it is not true, and the GPU must therefore put Pa Nderry to task before it is too late.

Yes, it may be true that people can say that transferring refugees to other countries may be slow, but this is not the fault of those on the ground helping them. Pa Nderry should learn how such international groups operate and stop these fabrications.

Already, I have personally invited two people abroad to work, and I am currently contacting genuine Gambians including journalists living abroad to also help those I believe are still waiting and need help.

The GPU must be careful because the same arrogant and senseless writings failed to convince the UK immigration authorities not to deport Sheriff Bojang jnr; and if you are not careful, God forbids, it will be the same with Abdoukarim Sanneh in the UK.

How on earth can someone said he fears reprisal in the hands of dictator Jammeh and at the same time called the UK government (the number country that accept most asylum seekers in the whole of Europe according the UN, UNHCR and the EU), a racist government? Yet, the same person desperately needs to seek refuge in that racist country. That's a contradiction and for many people, it is too senseless and hard to defend!

Some of Pa Nderry's sister papers as usual might not publish the truth about our own people but as a Gambian, I think that in as much as they criticise others, they must be prepared to call black - BLACK; or we may all lose the fight against opression. Or are such papers immune to criticism?

Thank you for allowing me the time to comment and I will be grateful if you could please supply me with email addresses of journalists who have status abroad for their assistance. Good luck to everyone.

Momodou-lamin Jah, Norway

 Email this to a friend