From: Lamin Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 3:31 am
Subject: Re: [>-<] Of Militants, Cowards and Fence-sitters: Disaporan Gambians and the Political Situation in Gambia

Buharry

Good conversations, and I am indebted to Jabou for her comprehensive treatment of a timely topic. I agree there appears to be nothing separating you and Jabou on the critical questions of human rights  and the rule of law in our public life. And you are right that we must talk in the process of instituting and nurturing democracy in The Gambia.

On the key question of proximity and conduct, I am not sure that the Diaspora has questionable legitimacy in agitating for radical action. This is not to suggest an absence of dilemma considering the Diasporan is out of the zone of immediate danger. However, I suggest to you that some Diasporans were at the forefront of radical action when they lived in The Gambia under the lawless atmosphere of the Professor's repressive regime. Radical action may not necessarily mean engaging in violent disorder, but when others are censoring themselves, Foroyaa, and Halifa, continue to ask questions that greatly irritate the Professor and his sycophants. And I can attest to witnessing Halifa-type conduct in the journalistic, and judicial spheres right inside territorial Gambia. Now outside The Gambia, I wonder if it is proper to shout down such people on their allegedly questionable credibility when they now advocate for conduct they themselves engaged in whilst in Professorland. I would reserve incredulity for those who served repression at policy, including, Cabinet level, and are now in the Diaspora because they were fired.

On your "average Samba and Demba", I am hesitant to accept their aspirations are not of the human rights type for reason of preoccupation with their "daily bread". Intelligence, and, or, the ability to discern, are not necessarily tied to either formal certification, or, education. Take the unschooled house help who feigns excessive obeisance to the master, or mistress, yet engages in sexual activity with one employer when the other is absent. Who is laughing at who? In other words, are your "Samba and Demba" really "average" when they routinely disorganise the matrimonial bed, even as they continue to perfect their sycophantic art anytime an employer approaches the mansion's drive?

I urge you to ponder the issue of whether people are "average", as oppose to being driven by self-interest. If you remain unconvinced, ponder the cleverness of your "average Samba and Demba" as informers against their own side in liberation struggles, including against Apartheid in South Africa.

I once again thank Jabou for coming to my rescue, and as for you, your tenacity tells me I should be ready for the long haul before taking you on.. Great conversation nevertheless.

As he is no longer there, please do not try to join Pa Musa on the fence.

LJDarbo