protect the human
TAKING ACTION
TOGETHER
FOR HUMAN
RIGHTS

Oil can be a filthy business

Dear Supporter,

A catastrophe is unfolding in the Niger Delta. Entire communities are devastated. The land they have lived on for generations is poisoned.

Behind this catastrophe is a UK company – Shell. But they’re hiding behind a smokescreen of denials and excuses. It’s time this stopped – it’s time Shell was called to account.

That's why we're working with local NGOs in the Niger Delta to monitor the situation and gather evidence of the ongoing human rights abuses.

Watch our "Welcome to Shell" video to find out more:

Welcome to Shell video

Please forward this video to your friends and family - we really need to step up the pressure on Shell and increase awareness of their working practices in the Niger Delta.

Yours sincerely,
Naomi McAuliffe
Naomi McAuliffe
Campaign Manager – Poverty & Human Rights

Background to this campaign:
The Niger Delta is one of the ten most important wetland and coastal marine ecosystems in the world. Over the last 50 or so years, oil revenues from the region have reached an estimated $US 600 billion. Yet despite these huge profits, most of the 31 million population live in poverty. Dependent on contaminated land for their livelihoods, and without access to clean water or healthcare, they have little prospect of improving their situation. When pollution leads to poverty, it's a human rights issue — in the Niger Delta, it's a human rights violation. Read more

If you have any queries or feedback about this email or Amnesty's work, please get in touch with our Supporter Care team at [log in to unmask] or on