From: Modou Nyang <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 8:19 pm
Subject: Re: In the matter of Femi Peters V. Inspector General of Police, Gambia.

Uncle Haruna wrote: “So the permit is actually for the PA system and not for the rally or is it for both you think? It may be helpful if you can share the exact language in the POA dealing with rallies and PA systems if you can. Thank you.” Uncle Haruna.

Uncle, I assume you know I like any other keen follower of events in The Gambia that the POA was original a piece of colonial instrument to control and suppress the “natives” hence it’s object clear. However, it was adopted and assimilated into our laws like many others after independence until it’s recent amendment to make it more draconian. It is important to tell you and I guess you know that I have no hand in the making of such a law and as well do not subscribe to it’s intent and utilization. And with regards to the exact language in the POA dealing with the use of PA systems, I think you also have the means to help us with it’s wording. I will try, but give no promise.

“Hmm!!! "The situation UDP finds itself in"???? Dad this is the second time so far you share this fear of yours; That discussing what is already in the public domain may unduly malign the case of Femi Peters V. IGP-Gambia. I want to assure you that if you stay within the contours of my queries, you have nothing to fear. I take it you are with your UDP coleagues and that the situation UDP finds itself in presently is PDOIS' situation too. Or do you not think it to be??? Neansmoins, just stick with me. One way you can unduly malign the case of FP V. IGP-G is when you waylay into waxing philosophical about extraneous issues such as inter-party this and sovereign that. Just stay with me baby. I fail to see your concern for someone who thought the UDP should have dared
the police and security and hold last week's rally. Just stay with me. Please.” Uncle Haruna.

Uncle, yes the situation UDP finds it’s self in presently regrading FP VS IGP a national one and I count my self in. However, after retracting my initial remarks following events in Latri Kunda when the UDP cancelled a meeting. I came to the conclusion that the UDP knew exactly what it was doing and I have no right to pass judgement on the steps they chose to take especially at this stage. That might only be done after the results are known in other to draw appropriate lessons.  This is why I do not wish to discuss this topic any further. Parties have different tactics and it is wrong for me to question that. You get me my Uncle, this is my fear if any.

“Has any of the other political parties (incl. APRC) ever held a rally Dad??????”, Uncle Haruna.
Don’t you think the question is a rhetorical one again? And as you quipped all the following questions are tied to the first one. I am with you my dear Uncle, but please do not treat your nephew this way. And here I wish to close it until later.

Nyang