Wassa,You are deep.
Let's go deeper into the roots, thanks for opening the gates.

You remembered the essence well, everything. If I recall well you lived near the Mask club allso not far from the shop of late Alhagi Chamsu Coker were the loud music with the latest hits used to play all day long. Late Alhagi Chamsu, started the African Jazz band importating musicians from Congo to join his  band ( Sammy Ndame & Marcellin).@ You knew the Ritz band ( former Boogie Boys/ the shoeshop at Fitzerald Street), / and also late Mr.Anthoney Leon (Black Star bar & band.

You talked about the Patrons Yes ! I have covered them in the story of Paps Touray. they are too much to mention but to remind you a few and to reflect on The Flamingo Band.The Flamingo bar recruited musicians from Ritz band, and other talents who could not make ot at African Jazz ubnder Chamsu Coker. I have to research more on this, yet to be done. That state have to research on this as well. There wre lots of musicians and there wre many bands criss crossing from band to band. Before Pa Touray & Badou were estabilshed there were player like Koto Buru Buru, Uncle Adams, Jimmy Coron, Ebou Touray(customs) , etc and many more. I will give your a detail report and accurate on this in my follow ups.

The Mboge Brothers Pitcha Darboe, Sogie, all started at The Flamingo and many other musicians like Abdoulie Jeng, Boy Njie etc started at the Mask Club. All Bars and clubs had resident bands. Also Kan ku Jare ( from Late Tapha John) former Kanku Jare. This is were the soul brother number Chex,Ousman Kumba exloded and made big hits like "Nyo Rakru" & the hit "Gorr Dai Bah- Gorr Dai Legei".Great Dancers like Bunama, Mass Sosseh, Rick, Nabi & Assan Bopa all dreesed up in style showing each show a new dance. It was these shows at the Odean Cinema, when Laye Ngum (Abdel Kabir) was discovered to Sing Otis Redding songs because Sogie Sock was sick. That's how his career stared until, Gelewerr and Abdel Kabirr.

With the Flamingo Band the musicians changed on short periods. It is the root that end up into Supreme Eagles and Gelewar. I called it the left wing.
 In the line of Ifangbondi, Super Eagles and African Jazz was the Badou Jobe Pap Touray & Ousu njie line. they wre never members of the flamingo. The younger bands that followed the steps of Ifangbondi were Bags of Fame, Wild Cats ( Arthur Oliver, Pa Jabel, Ala Sosseh & Dodou Manneh)later Magadan Band.

Before the Afro-Manding Sounds (Afro Beat) the band experimented with music similar to what they experienced in England with Osibisa & other Pan African Bands. Kwame Nkumarha offered scholaship to Osibisa &other African musicians including Late Fela Kuti (who lived in Ghana at the time) to make a Pan Africa sound for one Africa. Ifangbondi joined this league (as Gambians always do) self support- and created a half baked Afro -Sound which was sealed by the discovery of the Jola sound Atis-A-Atis which sounded very close to the Ghanese Super band The Osibisa's Akwaaba Beach. The music was local but yet global. The word frightening was an expression refering to the song Devil Dance, a trance tune that had all from cowbells to cow horns.This was the3 breakthrough into mainstream Afro Mandingo Sounds (as Senegal used to call it).

Patrons of the arts in The Gambia that started bands and create activities for the bands Teacher John Thomas, Malick Secka, Chamsu Coker, Solo Darboe, Mr. Bright (owner Ritz cinema), Anton Tabal, Tapha john Njasse( Kanku jare), B.O Janneh( Dippa Kunda), Matar Sarr, Madam Haddy Taban, Mali Joiner, Ousainou Njie, saihou Ceesay & Hatib Janneh, etc, etc, etc, the list is too long. It was the people not the government that promoted and sustauned the bands. Not forgeting the youths of Brikama Black dragons, etc, Gunjur Dabanani, Kebba kora (Bansang), Sam in Farranenni, Basse Late Sol Oathman, Malick Kurbally & Jahe Sumareh, Inspector Kebba Ceesay b(composer of Duma julo), etc, the list is too long, all the way to youth patrons like .JO.J in Gunjur , Peter Gomez in Bwiam. There was a net work of promoters and 4 days a week, from Wednesday to saturdays all band were working. They had class they were stars. I used to call my self Pa Touray. My Mom bought me a
 Yellow shirt and I wrote with paint on it Super Eagles Fan, I was smacked. For example the friends of Super eagles were people in the system like late Sol Samba, Hyde Park, Commissioner of Plic Evans (after the big fight), late Dr. Peters, they were elites and wore double brested suites, owned motobikes, cars and offices, they ride on new Bebes and every sunday people dress to go out and see cutural eveing Hewaerh shows were the bands will compete in music and costumes. We had pride in our band to a point that when they were traveling outside the Gambia peole would line the streets as if the President was parading, this resulted to the famous Super Eagles song : "Tagu Nang Len"- Ya Marie Nyan nal nu-Nu nga Wore Rew. Before all this there was Western music, Congloles, Pop & Soul but the Super eEgles overshowed all of them by touching the hearts and souls of Gambian people with their songs.
P/S: This is not the full story but only a flash respond to your teaser./ Excuse the typos.
It was jamming.

Regards
Oko
www.sotokoto.tv