Public humiliation of Gambians

Not since the days of slavery have Gambians been so humiliated en masse as the on-going witch-hunting spree initiated and being enforced by the Government of the Gambia.  The God-given dignity and universally-recognised human rights of ordinary Gambian villagers and town-dwellers have been violated by the very government that was supposed to have been at the fore-front of safeguarding those very rights and human dignities. The victims of the government-led witch-hunts have not only been publicly humiliated in the process but were also left traumatized and with manifestations of low self-esteem from the degrading treatment that they have experienced at the hands of Government-hired dubious witch doctors and other Gambian accomplices. The responsibility for these crimes against Gambians must solely be attributed to those who are responsible for procuring the services of the so-called witch-doctors. The Government of Yahya Jammeh is therefore exclusively culpable.

Overall our gallant armed forces are not jointly to be held responsible though this should not preclude any member from their ranks who are have been misused in this disgraceful witch-hunting spree from being duly held personally liable either now or in the future for the maltreatment of their compatriots. I salute our gallant Gambia National Army for distancing themselves from such atrocities. Their commander-In-Chief must realize that such witch-hunts are not in the interest of the Gambian nation of which he is merely one person nor is it in the interest of the government that he leads.

What is to be done?

I urge our political leaders regardless of whichever party they may belong to, to publicly condemn the latest uncivilized, brutal, shameful victimization of Gambians by the Government of Yahya Jammeh.  This is one way to demonstrate that they have some spine in them and that they care for the welfare of their compatriots.

Certainly, if such senselessness is continued by the Government, there will be a mighty backlash at some point which could easily degenerate into massive public disorder. Those who think that they wield supreme power in our nation are deluding themselves.  History has left irrefutable evidence that ultimately it’s the governed that are more powerful than the governors.

I am hereby letting it be known to President Jammeh that he could never be our master. We have only one Master in this universe and that is Allah (SWT) the only worthy of worship.

This madness must stop!

Bailo Jallow