Suntou,

I am glad you were following the Iraq elections. In Iraq there are
religious cults turned political parties. And then there is Iyad Alawi. Alawi  has
managed over the years to court both sunni and shiite religious folk to
fashion a political party that aims to govern a nation. The other cults aim to
hijack the instruments of governance to advance narrow cult interest. That
is  what Saddam Husein did. And his war with Iran was prosecuted on that
base notion  and he found a ready and willing ally in clueless christians.

Iran supports ALawi because Iran's majority Shiites felt threatened by
Saddam's sunni crusade (because he says he is a direct descendant of prophet
Muhammad). So Iran supporting Alawi is not based on special affinity for
ALawi  but on intrinsic urge to defend themselves from future persecutions based
on  religious beliefs. You will notice AL-Maliki favours the shiite sect
but it is  not in Iran's best interest to take the side of Maliki as against
Alawi because  Iran is not engaged in occult at this time. They are engaged
in ensuring a  benign Iraqi neighbour who cannot threaten their own
existence. That is the main  reason behind Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons. It is
not to wipe out Israel as  Ahmadinejad's rhetoric may suggest. It is in
defense of the Iranian nation  against all madmen and women.

I am very pleased at Alawi's win albeit narrow. It portends a new dynamic
for the region and I encourage Suriyya and Saudiyya to give him their
support  and accompaniment in national governance. He will have to form a
coalition  afterall. I will choose an Alawi coalition government any day against
ultra cult  PACs in Iraq.

Thank you SUntou for affording me the opportunity to weigh in on this one.
It risked being neglected and it is too significant to ignore.

Haruna.

In a message dated 3/27/2010 3:54:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,