Demba, you know my position on our situation.  Yes indeed, the issue is the release of Femi Peters.  Having said that though, who do you think is is a better position to lead that, Demba, Joe, or is it the UDP leadership?  If it is the UDP leadership and they decided to invest in an appeal, then an appeal will carry the day.  This was no surprise to any of us, including the UDP.  Don't you think Femi would have been better served if perperations were made to hedge against the inevitable?  Now that the man is in jail, I do not know what a petition will do for him.  We have circulated countless petitions on behalf of Chief Manneh and his body is still not released.  This is not to say that a petion not be circulated.

I disagree that this is not a UDP or opposition issue.  UDP as an organization with a support base is in a better position to deal with this issue than you and I, individually.  Folks will support them however they want to handle it.  It is also an opposition issue, you and I included, but how do you get the opposition to come out and support this effort if the hundreds of illegal arrests and detantions have never been dealth with as a unit and they are hell bent on snobbing each other to eternity?

As to coming out and condemning this cowardly behavior, we do it every day and that is why we are here dealing with this one.  However, do you agree that Ousainou, the UDP leader, and legal representation of Femi should be in front of that charge on the Judiciary?  If Ousainou is reluctant to call the Judicairy and the verdict for what it is, how are the rest of us ressponsible?  I am just being real.  We do not have control on how the UDP handles this, but we have the liberty to speak our minds as Gambians regarding this issue.  If I did not care, trust me you would not have heard from me.  I know if I were in Femi's shoes I would not appreciate this go slow attitude while I languish in the filth tub of a cell.  Any way, I sopke my mind and now it is in the hands of Yaya to determine Femi's release.  Since, that is how we are addressing the urgency of the situation, please disregard anything I said.

Joe

Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:48:32 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Femi Is getting ready to go to Prison for 1year and fine of D10,000
To: [log in to unmask]

Mr. Jahateh, I agree with you. This is a time we should all stand up for Femi. This is neither about the UDP or about the opposition. It is about the liberty and independence of our citizens. This is about our democracy, freedom of speech and assembly, and the future of our country. It is yet again a plot to distract Gambians from the larger picture.

We should all come together and condemn yet again such cowardly acts of injustice. "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere"  It was Chief Manneh and Kanibaa yesterday, today is Femi and tomorrow God knows who?

So my brotherly appeal to all is not to allow the oppressor to continue to divide us, sit back and laugh out loud.  It is action that is required now and let us not underestimate any action taken by citizens in the Diaspora. A petition or condemnation may not get him out but it will put his plight on the spotlight.

Let the folks come up with a petition, ask all decent Gambians to sign it and it can be circulated to international organizations and governments to officially inform them of the situation and remind them that we have been here before. Pressure makes all the difference and it has worked before.

Mr. Peters should not spend a day in jail much more a year for simply organizing a political rally. This is really a shame...

Demba