The role of Gambian women within the APRC government
by Fatou Jaw Manneh

Gambia is known as the smiling coast of West Africa. Indeed it was. Since Gambia gained independence, from  the
British colonial rule, it has won accolades all over the world for its peacefulness, calm and kindness of its people.
Gambian women were also great contributors to Gambian hospitality, humility and kindness . Whether you come from
Banjul, Fajara, Talinding, Sukuta, Basse, Kiang, Foni , Nyumi or Wuli, there is always an angelic Maabintu, Ya Ajie Njie,
Fatou Dibba, Sirrah Jallow,  Binta Bojang, who is always a good cook who shares her food with the community. Great
disciplinarians, great tutors, great community and moral leaders. But Alas! how times have now changed.

Just 2 weeks ago that I asked my collegues at Maafanta that it is time to start writing about the role of women in The
Gambia especially during the APRC era?

Unfortunately, the role of Gambian women within the APRC government is no different from that of the Gambian men: it’
s all disappointment, treachery, greed and insensitivity. What happened? If there is any disappointment with Yaya
Jammeh and his government and his men of greed, Gambian women are not faring better either. Since coming to
power, Yaya Jammeh has bamboozled us into hiring scores of women garnishing the surface; so we could believe he
has the empowerment of women at heart. Eventually though most of them get fired as their men counterparts. Some out
of sheer incompetence, whilst others confusing their roles of civil servants and personal smoochers. Gambian women
as their male counterparts, has turned most of our civil servants to party animals. As women turn to event planners
trying to satisfy king Jammeh . The cruelty and pomp can only equal to the time of the gladiators in ancient Rome.
Marriages broke as women run to kanilai for its endless festivals, children abandoned, multiple mate partner orgies
abound, excuse my language readers. Not talking out of despair. Tough times ask for tough talk.

The most devastating of a Gambian woman trait in the Jammeh era is the sheer greed. Greed, greed greed
everywhere. What happened?

Within the Jammeh government the women who vividly come to mind are Isatou Njie Saidy, Neneh Macdol Gaye, Fatou
Jahumpa Ceesay, Nancy Njie, Agie Fatou Sallah and Nyimasata Sanneh Bojang. There were many others but the most
prominent of all are these people. I have not encountered any Gambian, historian, journalist, lawyer or teacher who
keeps up with the hired and fired civilians.

Isatou Njie Saidy:
The most prominent of them all ,still serves Jammeh as Vice president and many are predicting that she, well with sheer
intervention from the jinn of kanilai will become the next president of the Gambia; that is, if she can dump him on time.
But signs are that Isatou will not. She will drag behind him and behind the scenes; watching students to be gunned
down on April 10 & 11,  for all I know King Jammeh was away, attending a summit; under whose watch did the whole
blooding spilling of our innocent  children happened? Madam Veep, Njie-Saidy!

With a lizard nodding characteristic of obedience; as if praying that soon some imaginary soldiers pull Jammeh out and
plant her as the next head of state; this woman, a “mother” has decided to make a deal with the devil; sold her soul and
continue to dine with the monster, rather than taking the bull by the horn. What signifies her role remains to be seen; of
what impact it has to the status of women in Gambia justifies that they can reach the highest ladder of the civil service
as long as they are ready to kiss the devils foot every morning as they hail to State House and nod to every word the
monster  uttered. Sisi with all due respect.'mojjaaani'.

Then comes Neneh  Macdold Gaye:
A smart woman I heard from people who know her, I’ve never seen or met her in person. Neneh served as information
ministry boss and recently as ambassador to the US. She was disgraced from the position as most of her predecessors.
Many who knew her, thought she can build Gambia’s image in Washington if given the chance, but hence Gambians in
general who work for Yaya, have no voice, Neneh’s mishap according to media reports was trying to meet amnesty
international staff who are really searching for answers for the disappearances of Chief Ebrima Manneh, Deydas death
and many other human rights offences that are still stuck under the carpet. Neneh got fired before she can unpack her
bags in Washington DC.

Oh well; that’s the deal she had penned her signature to. Accomplishments?  Difficult to measure. Like the many before
her, they are just mere ceremonial ministerial faces for the Jammeh government so there are no records of policy
accomplishments within the government. Actually because of her closeness to the president, Neneh at times confuse
her civil duties and personal relationship with the president. She allegedly often brags to people about what and what
she can tell the president.

Dissolving the Great Gambia Student Union; out of her own selfish interest and greed; used innocent students ,rally
them behind her to gain recognition from Jammeh; which gave birth to Natonal Patriotic Student Association (NAPSA).
Well unlike Isatou Njie-Saidy; Jammeh has given it to her full throat! Knowing how well Neneh is; the opportunist she is;
finding ways in building a network with the diplomatic community in DC, he cut her loose being the master of the game.
It really remain to baffle  me as how very genuine Neneh was in discussing the plight of Chief Manneh and that of the
late Deyda Hydara with the amnesty  international officials; when she can phantom the fact that it’s okay to shoot
innocent school children on broad daylight; thanking Jammeh for a job well done at that! For now, she is hibernating.

Fatou Jahumpa Ceesay:
The most cunning, fondly called the devil’s advocate. Talk about scheming; shrewd; ladies she is on top of the game.
With the mesh of web messed up lies, cheat, deception and betrayal she tangled the whole APRC party , civilian, army
and government, the woman nearly controls Jammeh’s head. She trampled on the Baba Jobes and the Ajie Fatou
Sallah's within the  APRC camp.How smart! I applaud her courage for being a con artist; she had indeed learnt the
trade well. Going by reports, she is the most dangerous of all the APRC girls.The fearless, the treacherous and
backstabber; the lady won’t stop at nothing until she get the job done in satisfying king Jammeh’s quench.

Within the APRC hierarchy; she used to call the shots at one point in time. With not much of a resume for us to browse
on, legend has it that she stabbed and smooched her way to the speakership position. She said Jammeh has taken and
given her the opportunities she never believed she will have and at the same time she is top schemer according to
reports against ousting the same man she claims as her godfather. Even journalists don't escape her.She double
daggered her way from any situation in The Gambia; by trying to convince us that she is a political child, which gave her
a passport to hip around everything and everywhere about APRC. She campaigns vigorously for her boss but like the
title book “things fall apart”; even Jammeh could no longer buy into the schemes of this colorful woman.( many people
ask me about her person. I have never seen or met her.)

Nyimasata Sanneh- Bojang:
Well she too did her jump for the master as Minister of Social welfare and women’s affairs. She was cleaned off the
scene as swiftly and neatly as she got in. Bojang - When she won parliamentary elections for the PPP government, she
was admired greatly and being the first woman to win that parliamentary seat, her name was catapulted to national
prominence. Later on when the BB Darboe- Jawara politics became sinister, she was blamed for endorsing BB Darboe
as Jawara’s successor and was abandoned by the Jawara government. She flirted with APRC, became the health and
social welfare minister but was later fired. She flirted again by helping establish the July 22nd movement and was
appointed again as a nominated member of parliament in 2007. God knows why she was booted out again, source has
it, she now does organized cooking on major APRC occasions; still trying to find a way for the devil to recall her back
into the circle.

Nancy Njie:
Yes she came in with only an “Acara” cooking and covert escort service as a resume and curriculum vitae. She was
given the Tourism ministry position and legend has it that not even a 36 font size lettered document will make Nancy be
able to read a speech much more turn our tourism industry into any profitable or meaningful enterprise for the nation.
Now they resort to the military, scaring and beating beach boys to improve the industry. What a naïve take on the
tourism economy.

Tourists do research before they go to any country to spend their hard earned money. They want to do it in a relaxed
and peaceful economy. With Amnesty international and all other human rights organizations harping on our intolerant
and abusive government not to mention the incompetence , greed and cowardice of the people that are trusted with
ministerial and top jobs to make Gambia a better place. So As long as Jammeh remains president, we can forget about
getting foreign money. Their governments warn them not to go to hostile countries. So for a while, Nancy was portrayed
to us as the next Jammeh eye candy. Don’t know what happened. She was booted out; my guess; she ran out of
efficient girls in the escort business to maximally furnish the kings harem. Since that was the main reason for her
appointment to the post. According to sources, she fails to deliver the goods as promised.

What remain to be seen nowadays is that, many Gambian women are now equally greedy, schemers, treacherous and
mischievous like the many men doing the killing spree for King Jammeh. They have largely contributed to the moral
degradation of our communities. Becoming mercenaries, prostitutes, abandoning the children, husbands and family in
the name of being  patriotic to king Jammeh; just to be recognized. They forced our men to portray a lifestyle well
beyond their means; which leads to more stealing , ' a lost Generator at kaninlai', and impersonation of a “wannabe”
business man and an eventual jail time when got caught in the web of devil Jammeh. It’s a common norm now in The
Gambia, for women to swarm a new minister or new lieutenant, suck him dry and move to next new inspector general or
new director. Go home and sleep as their boyfriends and ex- boyfriends are dragged to jails or into oblivion. As  best
put by the writer at
thegambiaecho.com  the moral fabrics of our society tears apart, young girls, have no moral
heroes to learn from as their mothers and big sisters hop from one APRC appointee to the next, some being their pimps
in some cases to the who is who of the APRC. Soldier boys are the stars of the day, as Gambian girls will flock to the
soldier men who receive crumbs from the master.

Since the start of time women are revered as the level headed, guardians of any society. When men go to war, women
stayed home and raise the family. When the husband becomes an alcoholic or drug addict, the wife does whatever it
takes and weans him off it. When men stray, women stay firm, until men come back to their senses. The modern woman
works hard and brings in equal support to that of the children and family finances. That has changed and nowhere
more tragic than in the Gambia.

When our men drink and do drugs and smoke, Gambian women do it harder. When our sons get shot and disappear,
our women turn their backs. When our men steal from the coffers, women follow suit with more aggression than the
brothers. When our sons disapper, we accuse them of theft and sedition. When our husbands get eliminated, we
accuse them of betrayal to the Boss. When our men stray, married women pack their bags to several men around the
world for revenge. What has happened?Just few days ago that a male friend complained to me, " Fatou, there is no
romance in the gambia anymore. Mating is 'The Sport" here."

Hence the Jammeh party is all about cruelty and party, Gambian women resort to throwing the most lavish and
ridiculous ceremonies known to man. So they indulge in the extravagance to impress the boss. A house at the Taf
Company will suffice as a present. So our women will do whatever it takes to smear and swindle their fellow citizens to
get closer to the lavish guy in the white Haftan and eventually his money. They are so aggressive and unified in their
treacherous efforts so every day I wake up with this question: where is the sanity here? What happened to our women?
Less I forget; to top it all, watch your neighbors’ children being shot; have their husbands and son adducted; and get
your grandmas and grandpas poisoned with concussions as witches and wizards.

The role and voice of women were always given high regards since the times of our prophets to the modern political
world. Great religious women who set examples and are role models for their communities, from Prophet Mohammad’s
(PBUH) wives; Khadija and Aisha, daughter Fatima were all regarded as exemplary leaders in their communities. In the
Christian faith, we have Jesus’ mother, Mary, his consort Mary Magdalene, whom modernist claim was his wife and
another Mary…………………………

We learn from our religions and history books that these women were wise, dedicated, and all contributed immensely to
the promotion and establishment of their religions at a time when paganism ruled the day. We tend to have a distorted
view and practice of a religion that the Khadijas and Aishas worked so hard to protect. It is more than running to Umra
and throwing a costly shawl on our shoulders.. We have to closely watch our deeds too.And hence on the surface
Gambian women have embraced religion more and Ibaduism is taking form in the Gambia, let’s take a glance at the
great women in Islam and Christianity.

Khadija
From a religious point of view, Khadija had to console Muhammad that everything will be fine, when he came all
frightened after the revelation at the mountain of light ( cave of Hira in jabla al-Noo);

“Muhammad (pbuh) went back home heavy-hearted, profoundly perplexed, and deeply impressed by the sight of arch-
angel Gabriel and by the depth of meaning implied in those beautiful words: “He felt feverish, so he asked to be
wrapped and, once he felt better, he narrated what he had seen and heard to his faithful and supportive wife.

”By Allah," Khadija said, "Allah shall never subject you to any indignity..., for you always maintain your ties with those of
your kin, and you are always generous in giving; you are diligent, and you seek what others regard as unattainable;
you cool the eyes of your guest, and you lend your support to those who seek justice and redress. Stay firm, O cousin,
for by Allah I know that He will not deal with you except most beautifully, and I testify that you are the awaited Prophet in
this nation, and your time, if Allah wills, has come."

To cut the long story short, Khadija, knowing well that her husband will not claim false leadership in any situation, gave
him all the necessary support for her man to succeed in the difficult task of spreading Islam. According to history, a
wealthy business woman, she lost all her money to supporting Islam. Even Prophet Muhammad, chose Khadija for
consolation when things got rough. When Islam was under threat and casualties abound. When he was in doubt khadija
gave him assurance. She was the only and first woman, plus Ali. son of muhammad’s uncle, seen praying with
Muhammad at the Kaaba premises. Days when they call Muhammad and prostration in prayers as a very strange act.
When Muhammad was set to the task of initiating Islam, she fell on khadija to put the project through among very hard
hearted Arabs. Where are the Gambian khadijas?

Assiya
Assiya, Pharaoh’s wife. It was narrated that Prophet Mohammad, Allah’s messenger PUH said, “Many amongst men
reached the level of perfection but amongst the women reached this level is Assiay-phsraoh’s wife, and Mary ( Mariam)
daughter of Imran…and the prophet Jesus (Essas mother).”

Assiya was married to the great king pharaoh in Egypt. She brought Prophet Moses to her home when her husband
declared all new born sons on the land be slaughtered. Because of the fear of Pharaoh and his chiefs Only Assiya and
few of Moses relatives believed in his prophet hood. Pharaoh was a mighty king who transgressed all bounds.

She became a muslim against her husband’s will , the man who claimed to be God himself. Assiya had every kind of
material wealth at her disposal but she abandoned it all and kept her faith in God the almighty and prophet against her
evil husband who tortured her and the people of Egypt beyond imagination. This is a great example of how a woman
chose the Hereafter over and above all of the wealth of this world. She remained firm on her faith in God despite
persecution of all sorts:

“(Pharaoh) said: “Believe ye in Him before I give you permission? Surely this must be your leader, who has taught you
magic! be sure I will cut off your hands and feet on opposite sides, and I will have you crucified on trunks of palm-trees:
so shall ye know for certain, which of us can give the more severe and the more lasting punishment!” (Surah 20:71)

Mary Magdelene
Mary Magdelene, Jesus’consort. Modernists believe that Mary Magdalene was secretly married to Jesus.“On one
occasion Martha entertained the Savior in her house, and, being anxious to feast him worthily, she was ’cumbered with
much serving.' Mary, meanwhile, sat at the feet of Jesus, and heard his words, which completed the good work of her
conversion; and when, some time afterwards, be supped in the house of Simon the Pharisee, she followed him thither
and she brought an alabaster box of ointment and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hair of
her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with ointment - and He said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.” –
thenazareneway.com

Mary Magdalene was the most slandered woman in Christianity In the bible, she was the woman who has sinned but
converted to Christianity, a strong believer in Jesus that she abandoned the vain life she was accustomed known for,
she became so versed in Christianity that she was called the ‘the apostle of the apostles. Some sects of the Christian
faith regarded her saint.

Gambian women do the opposite, they abandon their husbands and  their faith to follow a cruel king, who not a day
passed when he did not arrest or torture a Gambian son.

If we don’t want to go far into religion and history, let’s take the example of
Winnie Mandela, ex-wife of Mandela.
She supported the anti-apartheid crusade in South Africa, with zeal equal to her husband and his peers. If Winnie was a
Gambian woman, she would have accepted a mansion and a BMW from President Botha or De-Clerk compromising all
anti-apathied efforts within and outside South Africa. If she was short sighted and greedy she would have been very
rich at the expense of all the South Africans in jails. But because she was a visionary who believed in the general
enlightenment and empowerment of her people, she persevered and now South Africa is benefitting from the valiant
efforts of their sons and daughters.

So Gambian women should keep this in mind that history will not leave them behind; they must be accountable. They
cannot swerve and maneuver in the shadows whilst doing equal damage and making it almost difficult for Gambians
who are struggling to bring back sanity to the nation. Leading Non- profit organizations and thinking they are not part of
the problem is myopic. It is not late girls. We can do it. So I call on Awa Ceesay -Sabally, Madam Adelaide Sosseh, Ya
Fatou Sonko, Dr. Isatou Touray - The girl should take a break from female  genital mutilation issues  for now, and
confront the menace of our times, president Yaya jammeh, Fatou Sonko of Nyomi, Binta Sillah of Wulli, Fatou Bojang,
the gardener, and Arra Sanneh the market woman. We can all come together and bring sanity to our country. Together
it is not difficult. It is achievable. Unless Gambian women come together and correct the ills of our government, history
will equally regard us as silent perpetrators of Jammeh crimes.
Assalamu Alaiki
Gambian Women