Thanx Ace for sharing. You have a knack for value-articles yourself my
brother. I am not worried about Nigeria so much as I want Ghana, Benin, the
Comoros Isles, Burkina Faso and Mali to learn from these man-made disasters
wrought from drilling and mining. As you know, I am opposed to any  offshore
drilling or mining for whatever. I am also opposed to onshore  drilling and
mining to any appreciable depth below sea level and when such  extraction is
approved, the rate of extraction must not exceed the rate of  natural
renewal.

ANyway Ace thanx for sharing. We will be embarking on a comprehensive
campaign with other sane and sober partners to put all these idiots out of
business very soon. This is environmental and therefore ecological genocide. For
 what??? So we can drive cars and trucks. in circles. They can kiss my big
beautiful black arse.

I am not very pleased at this moment Ace. Forgive me while I recover and do
 something about it.

Haruna.

In a message dated 5/25/2010 11:30:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Nigerian Spills Make Valdez Look Like Drop in  Bucket

by Chanan Tigay

(May 23) -- Now a month old, the Gulf of Mexico oil  spill still dominates
the headlines, with politicians, pundits and ordinary  people debating who's
to blame and wondering if it will eclipse the Exxon  Valdez as the worst
spill in U.S. history.

Meanwhile, Nigeria reportedly leaks as much oil as the Valdez -- which
spewed nearly 11 million gallons of crude into Alaskan waters in 1989 --  every
year, with little attention paid.
A top 10 oil exporter with proven reserves of 36 billion barrels, Nigeria
today also ranks among the world's worst in petroleum safety. According to
reports, last year alone the West African nation had more than 2,000 active
spills.

George Osodi, AP
Nigerians evacuate their homes as an oil pipeline burns  in 2005. Nigeria
reportedly leaks as much oil as the Exxon Valdez did in  1989 every year.

Indeed, a half century of oil exploration --  and, experts say,
exploitation -- has earned the Niger Delta a dubious  distinction: Environmentalists
call it the most polluted ecosystem on Earth.
Concerns about offshore drilling have intensified in light of the Gulf
Coast spill, with President Barack Obama ordering a slow-down in new  drilling
while the accident's causes are investigated. Sensing an opening, a  group
of environmental and human rights activists this week released a _hoax
announcement_
(http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/shell-hoax-puts-spotlight-on-big-oils-poor-safety-record-in-nigeria/19483817)  claiming that Shell Oil had
 ordered a halt to its offshore operations in Nigeria.
Members of the Nigerian Justice League said their _prank_
(http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/shell-hoax-puts-spotlight-on-big-oils-poor-safety-record
-in-nigeria/19483817) , timed to coincide with Shell's annual  general
meeting in the Hague, was meant to shine a light on Big Oil's role  in damaging
the Niger Delta region -- and triggering an increasingly violent  atmosphere
on the ground.
"Shell's operations in the delta have helped transform that area into the
world's most polluted ecosystem, which has in turn resulted in a human
rights catastrophe," said Christopher Francis, one of the Nigerian Justice
League organizers.
No Hands Are Clean

Experts say that while Big Oil  is not blameless, Nigeria's abysmal
petroleum record in fact stems from an  explosive mix of politics, weak regulation
and corruption.
Oil production in Nigeria began in earnest during the 1950s, when the
British discovered reserves in the delta, near Port Harcourt. Initially  profits
were split 50-50 between the colonial government and Shell, which  the
government had awarded a monopoly on mineral recovery. By the 1960s,  though, a
number of other oil companies had arrived on the scene, including  Gulf,
Mobil and Texaco.
Decades of messy oil exploration have since despoiled the delta
environment, depriving the local population of its traditional livelihood:  fishing.
Experts say this has prompted the migration of many locals into  surrounding
communities populated by other ethnic groups, where they  inevitably compete
for land and resources, destabilizing the political  landscape.
Matters were further complicated by the lengthy illness of Nigerian
_President Umaru Yar'Adua_
(http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/nigerian-president-umaru-yaradua-dies-at-58/19466555) , who died earlier  this month. He had
launched a peaceful campaign to rein in a delta  insurgency, aimed at oil
infrastructure, that sprang up in the late 1990s.  Efforts to curb the violence
-- which has included bombings, kidnappings,  and battles with government
troops -- crumbled during Yar'Adua's sickness,  however, and rebel attacks
eventually slashed the region's oil production by  more than half, clearing
the way for Angola to overtake Nigeria as Africa's  leading oil exporter.
Moreover, the oil companies have secured local approval for their
operations using methods that "have not worked very well," according to  former U.S.
Ambassador to Nigeria John Campbell.
"These methods often involved paying fees to traditional rulers,"
Campbell, now a senior fellow for Africa policy studies at the Council on  Foreign
Relations, told AOL News. "But either the 'traditional rulers'  weren't
traditional rulers, or they kept the money for themselves."
Patronage, often based on ethnic affiliations, has fed intertribal
tensions, leading to violence between groups eager to maintain footholds in  the
oil-rich region, observers say.
For its part, Shell Oil says its critics ignore the challenging context  in
which the company operates.
"Shell shares concern about the environment and welfare of communities in
the Niger Delta, but often the reality and complexity of operating in the
delta is not recognized," a Shell spokesman told AOL news. "The vast
majority of spills, for example, are the result of sabotage, but Shell  cleans up
the spills regardless of their cause."
One engineer who has worked on a U.S. oil company's offshore rig outside
of the Democratic Republic of the Congo confirms Campbell's account of
corruption in the region.
"For me to go offshore, I had to have a special card that would let me  fly
out there," he said, speaking to AOL News on condition of anonymity.  "The
card was a form of payment, so that some guy in the government could  get a
little extra money. So the company I was working for would pay him,  and I
had this little yellow piece of paper so that I could get on the  helicopter.
"The people don't see the revenue that the oil company is paying the
government," he said, adding that according to his colleagues who worked on  rigs
in Nigeria, "Nigeria's worse."
An Uncertain Future
By way of comparison to Nigeria's reported 2,000 active spills last year,
a _report_ (http://ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/08Mar/RL33705.pdf)
prepared for the National Council for Science and  the Environment says U.S.
coastal waters saw 263 spills of 100 barrels or  more a year, on average, between
2002 and 2004 (the last period for which  complete data are available).
The_ Nigerian National Petroleum Corp._ (http://www.nnpcgroup.com/)
estimates  that some 650,000 gallons of oil are spilled in 300 separate incidents
each  year. But conservative assessments from a World Bank study indicate
that the  figure is in fact a great deal higher. The Associated Press reported
that  Shell alone spilled nearly 4.5 million gallons of oil into the Niger
Delta  last year.
Insiders say that unlike the United States, a good number of Nigeria's
spills are not the result of operational accidents but sabotage -- chiefly,
"bunkering" operations in which mom-and-pop oil shops induce spills while
attempting to tap pipelines.
Still, slim rays of hope are breaking through. Nigeria's new president,
_Goodluck Jonathan_
(http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/nigeria-swears-in-goodluck-jonathan-as-new-leader/19467377) , has pledged to fight  corruption
and make peace in the Niger Delta a priority.
"The federal government, strictly aware of the need for a properly
coordinated amnesty program, has achieved the much-desired peace in the  Niger
Delta region," Jonathan, a former environmental official with a degree  in
zoology, was recently quoted as saying by United Press International.
He was referring to a program in which thousands of former rebels put  down
their arms last year in exchange for promises of clemency, cash and
employment. The initiative has bred a state of relative calm in the  area.
"We will consolidate on the gains of the amnesty program and do all that
is humanely possible to prevent the Niger Delta from once again descending
into a nightmare," Jonathan said.
Meanwhile, a much-delayed measure known as the Petroleum Industry Bill  now
awaits action in the National Assembly. The so-called PIB, which has  been
the subject of long and sometimes difficult negotiations between the
government and the oil industry, is an attempt at comprehensive reform of
Nigeria's oil and gas industries. Among other things, it would boost the
government's take in new offshore developments and improve community  programs in the
Niger Delta.
Many analysts, however, say the bill, at least in its current form, is
unlikely to pass -- in large part because of strong opposition from the oil
companies, which fear the measure would diminish their profits and could
jeopardize billions of dollars in investments.
Concerned onlookers also worry that Big Oil has a big ally in Nigeria's
new oil minister, Diezani Allison-Madueke. The daughter of a Shell employee,
she spent close to 15 years working for the company's Nigerian joint
venture.
For now, at least, it appears increasingly likely that the Gulf of Mexico
spill will lead to a moratorium on offshore drilling in the United States.
And while such a move would be cheered by environmentalists, some analysts
warn that it may not be good news for Nigeria.
Writing in a _New York Times op-ed_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/opinion/02margonelli.html) , New America Foundation  scholar Lisa Margonelli
noted: "All oil comes from someone's backyard, and  when we don't reduce the
amount of oil we consume, and refuse to drill at  home, we end up getting
people to drill for us in Kazakhstan, Angola and  Nigeria -- places without
America's strong environmental safeguards or the  resources to enforce them."

--

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい  To