Ok cousin Prince. Here goes:

[-----Original Message-----  From: Prince Bubacarr Sankanu <[log in to unmask]>
To: GAMBIA-L <[log in to unmask]>  Sent: Fri, Jul 8, 2011 8:07 am  Subject: [G_L] Hahah Cousin...Majurma Touray Musucology...Journalists....etc
Oh Cousin Haruna, Majurma Touray (courtesy Maafanta), onces again confirms the sexy allures of SANKANUISM and
MUSUCOLOGY.] PS.

I agree Cous. You'll make a great filmmaker. I admire your vivid imagination.
[My Brother Cherno Fankung's Babili Mansa would not like me to join the APRC as he knows all the classy female
party stalwarts, Yayi Compins, Jaeks and foot-girls will follow the seductive charms of Sankanuism and
Musucology.] PS.

Our cousin Fakoo is just in awe of your virulence.
[Majurma read the reference to Mandela on my VP Njie Saidy piece and then wrote on Maafanta.com "So for me and
a whole lot of young people, Professor Dr Amadou Scattred Janneh is NELSON MANDELA OF THE GAMBIA."] PS.

I noticed and she put it to good use. Wise minds generally think of the same things albeit at different times
and they generally nurture each other. I said don't get any funny ideas. You're treading on eggshells.
[You now understand why I said 99% of the ideas being gossiped here and there are useless? How many Majurmas or
Jainaba Houstons have so far wrote to endorse those ideas? LOL.] PS.

We are the richer to have you in our company. We want you to stay with us as long as your time allows. And
don't try to be funny.
[Okay Cousin Haruna, as a Magnanimous Prince and candidate for the title of “Hugh Hefner of The Gambia” (hope
President Jammeh will not snatch it), I leave Majurma Touray in your hands but on one condition: you and the
other handsome Dukes of MaCarthy square should attend my Master Class on Musucology. Agreed?] PS.

NO way. WHat kinda deal is that???? Ndasimma nke Nta Haayinni!!!!!!!!!! Anke Touriyaa. If I have to take these
classes on Musucology, wouldn't that be a clue to my MaNyumma that I don't know what I'm getting into? Ergo you
win her over????? Not konna do it. Give joe-joe those master classes.
[On the issue of Journalists, I am out of the push and pull since none of the people trying to preach what
Journalists should or not do have ZERO idea about Journalism in real life. They are neither Professors of
Journalism nor bonafide Media Practitioners with reliable track records of responsible writing. They do not
have the moral authority or credibility to teach me media work. Of course they are free to enjoy their freedom
of speech and say whatever they want as long as it provokes no destructive mess.] PS.

Cousin, this is where I think you're going overboard. You will agree with me that just as you have the right and
privilege to journalist, the preachers have the right and privilege to preach. All it takes to be a journalist
is a good heart, a mouth, eyes, feet, and possibly a pen. You don't have to be a journalism professor to keep a
journal nor do you have to work for a media house, a newspaper, a blog, a publishing house, a mosque, a church,
or a lodge to be a journalist. I think you will agree with me. Now to be a filmmaker, you do need some unique
skills which can also be learned. I think you were onto something when you diversified into filmmaking. You can
now appreciate diverse views and interpretations. No one can teach you media work except your media employer
and trainer. I don't think anyone is venturing to teach you media work. Those who critique your media work only
improve your proficiency and presentation. I hope after you show a film, you will accomodate the views of the
film critic and the customer who had just seen the movie. I encourage you not to take critique personal. You
know I want to follow your film career and product.
[When the blogosphere started we heard people shouting “the end of journalism” and that bloggers or citizen
journalists (as if Journalists are no citizens)were the new masters.] PS.

I understand the disdain you reserve for bloggers. I was speaking with my friend Craig Aaron the other day
and he admits the bloggosphere contributed immensely to the slow death of traditional journalism. So you and
our other brother Demba can be forgiven for your disdain of bloggers. I do want to share with both of you that
quite a good number of excellent traditional journalists didn't take the proliferation of blogs lying down. Many
blogs are maintained by those same journalists who used to cover stories on the beat with you. I encourage you
to not harbour disdain for bloggers. Retool and blog better than they do. I'm confident when you foray into
blogging, you will find many of your journalist friends there. Only now, they can purvey more openly what they
used to purvey in the secrecy of Press. A blog, newspaper, radio, TV, e-newspaper, are only platforms. They have
nothing to do with content. The difference between them is how each presents content. The content has to come
from the individual writer. So be careful what you say about bloggers. Your friends and former coleagues may not
agree with you. [Now the chaff has been separated from the bread. Journalism is still alive and kicking and no responsible
Journalist or Editor will blindly copy the rubbish of a blogger.] PS.

I beg to differ with you Cousin. The chaff is still in the wheat. Farms have changed hands though. As long as
there are humans on this earth, some of us will always keep journals and will call ourselves journalists,
journalism degree or not. No responsible person will blindly copy rubbish from anywhere unless he/she is a
sanitation worker. Besides, in journalism or litterature, copying anything from anywhere without proper credit
is plagiarism. I would not recommend doing it blindfolded.

[Even Master Hacker Julian Assagne had to cooperate with seasoned Journalists to filter and make sense of his
WikiLeaks. Though certain media houses (especially print in Europe) are struggling due to the online competition
and global meltdown, some traditional print publications are doing fabulously well.] PS.

Cousin Prince, Julian Assange is a whistleblower. He is actually not a hacker. He uses hacking to get at the
material he needs to blow the whistle. He collaborated with MEDIA HOUSES (who provided journalists to him) to
credible outlets for his material. The journalists convinced him to clean-up the material so it can be better
presented on their media. Some of the journalists advised he not release some of the material because they
considered it too inflammatory and could risk lives of soldiers in theatre. WHether those journalists are
seasoned or not is an open-ended question. One thing is for sure, they have access to a platform. And Assange
needed the most profuse platforms.

[The list is long but The Economist (UK), New African (UK), The Financial Times, (UK), Der Spiegel (Germany)
and Die Zeit (Germany) are examples of vibrant and relevant traditional journalism.] PS.

Cousin, I think here you share some platforms with us. Not journalism. I happen to love reading these platforms
because of how they presented their content over the years. I generally don't put too much weight on newspaper
editorials or reports. I read the news though because there is generally no bad or good news. The opinions of
the paper, I leave to other readers. I form my own opinions if I am interested in a subject. In these papers you
mentioned, there are certain journalists whose independence of thought, proficiency in presenting their material,
and due-diligence in maintaining journalistic etiquette I admire. In other words when they share hearsay with me,
they are honest enough to say it is hearsay and cannot be independently verified. When they share work of others
with me, they give proper credit. They do not exhibit to me which party they belong to or what their religion is
because I find that odious and distasteful and unjournalistic. They want me to read their material afterall and
when they are in danger, I can honestly stand up to defend them without giving them cover for crimes.

[These media houses are noted for their adherence to responsible communication.] PS.

Cousin this is another place where I think you risked going overboard. Responsible Communication. It is
generally burdensome to demand "Responsible" communication or jounalism. This is because the journalist may not
be able to readily discern what is responsible or not responsible journalism. Responsible is highly subjective
and dictators, tyrants, and criminals use it a lot to go after journalists whose work product they do not like.
You can interpret anything as responsible or irresponsible. And what may be considered irresponsible journalism
in Gambia may not be so irresponsible in Munich. You see what I mean right????

I agree with those who surmise that there is really no objective, unbiased, or non-partisan journalism. The only
thing I would share with these folk is that there is no really totally unbiased, objective, and non-partisan
human being. Bear with me Cousin. There is no totally unbiased, objective, or non-partisan engineer, doctor,
carpenter, welder, mason, hairdresser, cook, plumber, farmer, or runway model. (I figure I'd throw in something
you really adore). What happened was that when we tried to professionalize griots(minstrels) and ouvriers
(menders of soles etc.), we created a set of standards and matriculation (derived from experience and research)
in order for the minstrel and ouvrier to engage in licensed and fair dealing with his/her fellow citizen. We then
accorded these disciplines of Journalism and carpentry a modicum of indemnification and deference when they
wayfare. The carpenter is not accorded as much lattitude as the journalist because the carpenter's work product
is tangible and you can easily determine fraud and criminality. That is why when a carpenter is abducted,
kidnapped, or murdered, you don't hear as much uproar as when a journalist is. The trouble is that now that
we realize anyone can call him/herself a journalist, those who do not practice and maintain the etiquette of
good journalism (Try your best to be objective and be seen to be objective) make it very hard to stand up for
those real journalists when there is need to. For example, if an unlicensed doctor performs surgery on an
unsuspecting patient and the patient dies, this rogue doctor casts an ominous cloud over real licensed and
trained doctors even for the latter's genuine errors and omission. I added trained because folk buy licenses
from dubious online outfits and purveyors of licenses. You name it. Whatever licence you desire, you can purchase
it. I know you know that already. Being the prolific filmmaker you are. In Munich.

Cousin you were long. SO I will stop here to come back when I have some time. I would encourage you to keep your
notes shorter and to the point in the future. You give me enormous anxiety if I have to read and respond to
long-winded messages like joe-joe is wont to deporsit here apres mudem yornam.

Later. Haruna.
For me the push and bull here on Gambia L Bantaba is not about BIAS. For me it
is about RESPONSIBILITY. The people trying to preach to journalists just want to
divert attention from their exposed gross incompetence and irresponsibility with
their “mess” communication.

Some people are howling that they have the right to asks questions but they DO
NOT want to have the right to be held accountable or responsible for the impacts
of their ill-thought questions and writings on the society. This is first class
cowardice, hypocrisy and double standards.

Those charlatans who misused the media to provoke the Rwandan genocide were
bluffing that they had the right to ask questions and to practice freedom of
speech but that did no convince the judges at the customary GACACA Courts or the
formal UNICTR in Arusha, Tanzania. They were punished for their rudeness and
irresponsibility.

The good thing is that the rubbish these people are purging out are being
ARCHIVED and they cannot escape responsibility for what they wrote, write and
will write.

So if anyone thinks he/she is blogger or Editor and can practise “mess”
communications until it endangers lives and property without being nailed for
it, is dreaming. You can run but you cannot hide!!

I do not have the credibility to tell an accountant, farmer, surgeon, architect,
mechanic or street cleaner what the ethics of his/her job are.

My own areas are Film, TV, Intellectual Property Law, Arts, Culture, Fashion,
Lifestyle, Business, Journalism and by extension, Politics. I do not need to be
told what the Ethics of these professions are. No one can also stop me from
being bias. I confessed by bias towards Jabiyong Ndey and other classy ladies. I
confessed my blanket bias towards victimes of hypocrisy regardless of
background, faith, ethnicity and worldview. I will fight on the side say the
“Gambian sex workers association” should the religious police and moral
hypocrites try to disturb them. The list goes on.

With Journalism, I celebrated my 20th professional anniversary. I have been
writing long before some of the lousy bloggers and online Editors dreamt of
starting blogs and online "papers." So even if they are drunk, they will not be
mad to tell me what journalism or responsible communication means.

Spank me awake in the middle of the night and I will write you at least 10 pages
of my original ideas within 30 minutes. I might not have the time to proof-read
but I can give you a blueprint to work on with ease.

Am aware of my responsibility this is why I still submit my articles to the
Editors and I trust their editorial policies. I give them the right to drop my
articles or modify them as they deem fit. Then not everything I write should be
published.

I still have a lot of draft articles that I am not sending to the Editors. I
have also been receiving a lot information materials that I can use to start a
blog or newspaper but I am not doing it not just due to the lack of time but
also for the consideration of the possible impacts on the ground.

As I said people who have correct information on President Jammeh are not
talking. Only the gossipers are sharing half-truths and second hand “I heard,
they said and I believe” gossip. Some of the people who were once in Jammeh's
inner circle have been in touch with me behind-the-scenes. I encouraged them NOT
to talk to any paper be it online or offline. I advised to keep their
information with them until the right time.

Rubber Murdoch, the modern real life version of Citizen Kane has just closed
down the “News of The World” tabloid for the simple reason that responsible
writing is sacrosanct and non-negotiable.

The rights to know and ask questions do not immune one from the negative impacts
of his or her writing/curiosity. If you write and cause trouble directly or
indirectly through idiots who quote your rubbish, you will pay for it.

On the issue of organizations, no outsider has the right to tell people how they
should run their groups. So people should stop the wicked hypocrisy. I might
extend my solidarity, advice and expertise to say the “Mbindans Association of
The Gambia” but I do not have the right to tell its executives how and when to
do whatever they set out to do in public or private.

Refreshing weekend to you all.

Warmest,

--
HSH Prince Bubacarr A. Sankanu
Chairman and Chief Executive Producer

Postfach 800144
D-51001 Cologne, Germany
Tel.: 00491774842957 (Cell)
Fax: 004922146780440

Emails: [log in to unmask]
Skype: princebasankanu

Tax/VAT ID: 218/5030/2061
Company No: HRA 25199
Amtsgericht Köln. Local Court of Cologne City, Germany

Cous Prince,

I knew you were lurking behind the cactus bush somewhere. I will come back to your notes after my meeting this morning. I like your ideas in the main but I fear you risk confusing yourself further. See you later.

Haruna. Duke of McCarthy Square - Bunkiling Upon Tungo.