-----Original Message-----
From: Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
To: GAMBIA-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, Aug 12, 2011 6:34 pm
Subject: Re: [G_L] Rene / [>-<] Mathew K on Coalition and the Point
Newspaper

  Brother Rene,

"Please do not compound your problems. Just apologize and we move on so
I can wring your small neck. I'm waiting for you on the other side of
the apology."

  [Haruna, why do you want me to apologize for an observation that I
made. I made a general statement] Rene.

Yes. You made an OBSERVATION in a general statement that transgresses on the JOLA MINORITY. That is why I think
you should apologize. A thief makes an observation before he/she steals. A rapist makes an observation before he/she rapes.
It is indeed the mind that conjures up an observation that is inimical to a whole group of people that purveys exclusion and
discrimination, or at the very least encourages another to act on such observation. Rene, we must not extend my plea for an
apology from you. If you do not think you are in error (if of observation), please disregard. However, I will not consider breaking
bread with you until you reconnoitre.

[and you should try to understand that statement within the context that
I made it.] Rene.

Yes. I really understood the context in which you made it Rene. That is why I thought you made the observation in error and

inadvertently.

[I made a distinction between opposition to a political dispensation that
is characterized by principle and purpose; and opposition to a political
dispensation that is not characterize by principle and purpose, but merely
by a desire to change the present leadership] Rene.

I noticed that distinction you tried to make. You went further than making this distinction. Read your notes again. What you did
after making the distinction is that you extrapolated the opposition to the present monstrous leadership to the JOLA MINORITY.

Please read your notes again. And I want to share something with you at least about tribal disharmony. When even one individual

takes umbrage and perceives tribalism, it doesn't really matter what philosophy underlies the utterance or action. What is

advisable is to apologize and if you did not intend the harm perceived, re-phrase or redo the culprit statement or action. You are

not making any sense in your explanations and recalcitrance to reassure us that your intentions were benign. How can you excuse

a malignant statement or action away by delineating the process it took you (observation) to get there in the first place??? It doesn't

matter Rene. It is the place we are worried about. Not how you got there. There are a zillion ways to get there. They all use

OBSERVATION and POETRY.

[because it is in the wrong hands. In the hands of a person who is in
the minority. "Yahya's hands is the wrong hands. NOT THE JOLA MINORITY.
Every Gambian understand who is the wrong hands in Gambia. Why would you
unduly extrapolate that to mean The JOLA MINORITY's hands should not be
entrusted with the governance of Gambia???? Can you trust the hands of
the other minorities?????? Can you trust the hands of the majorities????]
Haruna.

[Well, you are making that determination and that distinction. There
are others who are not making that determination and that distinction.] Rene.

And why would you take it upon yourself to share the contrarian determination? Of Other? Why would you not let those others

share or make that determination???? Why would you burden yourself thusly Rene??????????????????? I couldn't care less

if you think Mathew or Haruna are thinking the contrarian determination and distinction. Let Mathew and Haruna make that

contrarian determination. I will share something else with you while I'm here Rene; In Rwanda, everyone sort of thought that the
other folk of other tribes were always scheming to gain an unfair advantage over them and their tribe. For centuries. However, it

took the Radio Milles Collines and odious journalists to certify that by their incendiary broadcasts. What they did was elevate folk
suspicions of each other (whether actually true or not) to the crescendo. And you know the rest of that story. If you tell me there

are folk in Gambia who hold tribalist views against another tribe, you could be correct. But if you share with me that that tribalist
is that the other tribe must be excluded from governance of the nation, you all of a sudden have interjected yourself in the place
of the vrai tribalist. Perhaps he or she understood that acting on his/her odious thought is actually a crime of immense proportion
and as long as the thought remains inside of him/her it is not a crime. Why would you want to be the thought police????? If you
come to my home where I keep a gun, you took the gun without my permission or knowledge and stab a kid on the street, would
you excuse your crime by saying Haruna wanted to stab the kid all along but he was afraid to do it himself, so I did it for him,
therefore I'm innocent??? What kinda cacamayme is that????????????? Please do not belabour this point. I have many a poet
and playwright as friend. You are not producing a play or a poem Rene. You were responding to Mathew's disdainful comments
about PDOIS and Hon. Halifa and you went too far to inure tribalism in Mathew. Well it backfired. Why would you even try to
share what you think Mathew meant to say???????????????????? I mean its not like Mathew could be accused of brevity and
and economy of words. If you read Shaky Shaky's comedy of errors, it is exactly this parallax of folly and extreme vengeance that
he warns us of.

[I do not unduly make the extrapolation, it has already been extrapolated.] Rene.

WHere??? and by Whom?????

[Some of our opinions and political commentaries are littered in such
extrapolations.] Rene.

You see what I'm talking about by COMPOUNDING YOUR PROBLEMS Rene don't you???????? Well you are telling me that

you are aware of profuse discriminatory and exclusionist comments in our global opinions and narratives. WHen you perceived one
such, did you challenge the utterrer or de-minimis express hallmark disdain for such????? Did you ever ask for an apology from
the culprit if indeed it were UN-INTENTIONAL??????? Remember I'm only asking you to apologize because I think this was
inadvertent. If I ever thought it was intentional or a conclusion from your earnest OBSERVATION of other, I would not have bothered
myself. And if Kukeh did not reprimand the wrong party, I would have let Ansu's repulsion instruct your conduct. I will instruct myself
on how to deal with you in the future depending on your reaction or response to Ansu's repulsion.

[With the kind of political dispensation that I support, all minority
and majority groups would be entrusted with the governance of Gambia.] Rene.

We wouldn't know that would we???? And you're not doing yourself any favors by simply refusing to ammend our misunderstanding.

You will understand that even if you claim you support Allah's party, you are only sharing with us what you admire. Not what you
do or say in that party. Therefore that would be terribly insignificant to your fellow citizen or man. He/she could also swear to you
the same about his/her party. Here we merely point out to you a possible aversion of other and one way to remedy that. We are not
seeking to know which party you support or are a member of. Do you not know there could be another Rene in the APRC, NRP, UDP,
ppp, PDOIS, or GMC?????? Well you will have informed them that the behavior is UNACCEPTABLE. Would you do your fellow a good
turn then Rene????? The reason why someone calls themselves a muslim or christian is because they desire to emulate the
examples of Muhammad and Jesus Christ. Me, I make my mould. And I take responsibility for my actions. That is why I consider
my actions toward my fellow profusely and I am a quick learner. I want you to be better than me. You demonstrate enormous
promise Rene. Don't let this apparent misspeak govern your immense success.

[In fact, minority or majority groupings would be so insignificant in
the process, it would not be discernible who is minority or majority.] Rene.

I heard you Rene. Now how about doing this here problem right so you can move on to demonstrate the great person you really
are???????????????

[It would all be about issues. Issues, Issues and Issues. The politics
of issues.] Rene.

Ok OK. Trust me Rene, I understand. That is why I think this was inadvertent error. If it was Haruna you're trying to convince,
you need not worry. Haruna judges from actions. Not everyone in this world is like Haruna. When I looked at your comment, I

understood that if this were your personal feelings and OBSERVATIONS, you will never be in a position where you could determine

which minority or majority governs any nation. So to avail yourself the possibility of that honour, I thought you should apologize.

That's it. Nothing else. So please do not think I am just asking you to apologize for fancy. I am on record for sharing that the most

listless idiot is one who apologizes willy nilly at the drop of a hat. But you have seen me apologize here on several occasions right?

So if I didn't think it were valuable for you Rene, I would not have urged it. Remember, at this point it doesn't really matter how you
explain the error away or whether you do not think you were in error. That is the purview of your fellow citizen and the JOLA
MINORITY. Do you realize that you not only aversed the JOLA, you darn near excluded all MINORITY TRIBES of GAMBIA.
Possibly your own friggin self. That should explain it were INADVERTENT. So don't make it seem INTENTIONAL when it could not
possibly be Rene. And I'm really tired of throwing you lifelines.

"Please don't compound the misspeak. Instead of make "the wrong hands"
more explicit, you introduced, inadvertently I believe, the ire of
odious tribalism Rene. Take it from a brother. Please." Haruna.

[Well, Haruna, I believe the smell of tribalism was already there. I didn't
introduced it. I only observed it.] Rene.

And if I agree with you for a moment that the "SMELL" was already there, why didn't you see if there's a fire behind the smell
and help to put it out instead of attaching a hose to the smell and bring it into our living rooms. What is wrong with you Rene. I
couldn't care less about the SMELL. I got smell in my sewer. You don't see me go down there and route the smell back to the
bathroom. This is what we want to do about Tribalism, rape, thievery, murder, abductions, etc. Keep them at bay de-minimis, or
eradicate them if and when we can. I don't friggin believe you Rene.

["We all misspeak once in a while. The gravitas of a man is in the
recognition and correction of misspeak. You are better than this. And
plus, your problem is not with me. You can handle me very well as you
have demonstrated in the past. The problem is with the JOLA MINORITY of
GAMBIA to whom you owe apology."] Haruna.

[Haruna, we can agree to disagree on this.] Rene.

Hangh??????????????? I wish it were that trivial for you Rene. Really.

[You know that I have no compunction to apologize for something done wrong;
neither if I say something untoward.] Rene.

Wait a minute Rene. No one should have any aversion to apologizing when you do or say wrong. And things don't just become
wrong until they unduly affect your fellow or yourself. So it is immaterial to say you have no problem apologizing when you have
aversed even ONE person and they share with you that you have aversed them. Your aversion or lack thereof to apology is
demonstrated by unique events. This is because you don't do wrong all of the time and a perceived wrong could be inadvertent.
This is just such a time when you are afforded an opportunity to make an inadvertent wrong right. At the rate you're going, I'd say
you risk committing a crime against yourself. Atel PDOIS nkol kangol jaata baake. Doina sekk. A bifosay una crase. And remember,
Ansu could have just kept quiet and not share his repulsion with you. Would you not think that by speaking up, he offered you a
golden opportunity to shine???????????????? Men.

[But I believe I can express an observation.] Rene.

Yes Rene. You can always express an observation. WHen you share what you THINK other folk are THINKING, you are not making
an OBSERVATION. You are EXTRAPOLATING. DIVINING. Perhaps poetically expressing what you are thinking yourself. That is
called Extra Sensory Perception ESP. It is this doubt that I wish you to erase.

[You can disagree with me. And I take your disagreement in good faith.] Rene.

What??????? It is not my purview to agree or disagree with you about such Rene. Trust me.

[Don't extend your misgivings to the Jola Minority.] Rene.

OK.

[I did not do them any wrong nor do I owe them any apology.] Rene.

Very well. Maybe you do not understand that the misgivings are not only to the JOLA MINORITY. They are to all
conscientious Gambians. You will understand that there are Gambians of other tribes who have relations within the Jola
tribe and vice versa. Maybe you didn't know that. I am one of those Gambians.

[I hold them in the same esteem and regard as all other ethnic
groupings.] Rene.

I understand.

[Even if you and I try to massage this to become benign, the
perception you will have left in the minds of most Gambians will have
been one of an unapologetic tribalist. Please consider carefully.] Haruna.

[I don't know why you want to manage an observation that you may
consider tribalist.] Rene.

It WAS NOT AN OBSERVATION RENE. You are not a serious man are you. And if you read my notes you will understand

that I was discouraging YOU from trying to lure me into MASSAGING the error instead of apologizing and reassuring us it was
inadvertent. Hell I don't even have time to manage others' idiocies. I thought you are capable of nurturing harmonious communal
relations Rene. Forgive me.

[Let the statement stand for what it is, and it can leave in the minds of
most Gambians who the unapologetic tribalists really are.] Rene.

I am one Gambian in whose mind it shall remain that Rene is an unapologetic tribalist. And I shall not allow you to be in charge
of determining the ware of the JOLA MINORITY in Gambia.

[I have considered it carefully.] Rene.

Very well Rene.

Haruna.