Khaleel,

Thanks for your comprehensive comments on the nation school concept. I totally agree with you that many Gambians have aided and abetted Yahya Jammeh. He couldn't have done everything he has done single handedly, which means that there are others helping him or serving him and themselves. This is certainly a legitimate point. But while some Gambians are as guilty as Yahya Jammeh, there have been some who have done what they could and continue to do what they can to help ameliorate our situation. So either way,it is a matter of shared responsibility. I also agree with you - and have said as much elswhere and in the section prior to this one (Towards the Family Nation), that the future Gambia we envisage must be a pupil itself, and know that, to quote you "no concept is finite in the sense of accurate measurement." The whole idea is that every person, every institution, every paradigm, every concept and every idea is rightfully a work in progress. The possibility of error and incompleteness must perpetually be entertained because that is the only way we can improve upon whatever we are doing and learn to be tolerant to critical and opposing views. I believe that properly instituted, the Nation School concept has the potential to transform our society, taking into consideration all your points and all my points and many other points that have been raised in our conversations on the L, the Post and elsewhere regading the direction that is potentially best for our nation. Because of the nature of our political configuration, government must necessarily talke the lead in this project, which is why we need a government that is enlightened and aware of its role and responsibilities in the wider scheme of things. Thanks again for your input and let's keep the conversation going.

Regards,
Baba

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:24:50 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [G_L] The Nation School
To: [log in to unmask]

Baba,

Thank you again for another great read. Your nation school, which spells civic education to me, manifested under the premise of duality in which it combines your concept of a heavy government involvement in Gambian education as a means of sheer political and democratic success as well as your perception of the current Gambian regime and its role as a detriment to our democratic progress.
We can argue no one concept is finite in the sense of accurate measurement especially when it is based solely on perceived notions. While there is no doubt that the Jammeh regime failed the Gambian people by any measure, it can be argued that we the people of the Gambia share some responsibility in this montage.  As much as I am critical of Jammeh I will be equally critical of some of the Gambian people and our periodic lapse judgments.
Lets face the facts, though Jammeh is a self-proclaimed be all and know all of all he is one man. I realize that fear is stronger than love and Jammeh was successful in striking an uncanny amount of fear in all four ventricles of our hearts rendering some of us the inability to function with reason. If we hold Jammeh solely responsible for the state of our nation, then we just underwrote a significant shortcoming of our nation in its entirety. There is a continued increase opposition to Yahya none of which put forth a well thought out agenda in moving us not only forward, but also the right way forward.
All these oppositions unanimously call for the uproot of Jammeh but none either independently or collectively offer serious roadmap or blueprint which will potentially turn our state around and move us in a much desired direction. Until we are serious, ask the hard questions and start vetting our next potential leader, we will end up with another Jammeh situation only a change in name and appearance. We already know the obvious that there is no hope for the Jammeh regime but what are we doing as people in reference to actionable contribution to the state of our nation? We need to start evaluating our contributions and their significance.
To be effective civic education must be realistic; it must address the fundamental legitimacies about political vivacity. There is evidence aplenty that no country, even the highly sophisticated, has achieved the level of understanding and acceptance of the rights and responsibilities among the totality of its citizens that is required for the maintenance and improvement of any constitutional democracy. Ours will be no different however we need to plant one foot in front of the other and start moving to the right direction. Key here is movement.
Many institutions help develop citizens' knowledge and skills and shape their civic character and commitments. Family, religious institutions, the media, and community groups exert important influences. Schools, however, bear a special and historic responsibility for the development of civic capability and civic obligation. Schools fulfill that responsibility through both formal and informal education beginning in the earliest years and continuing through the entire educational process. The challenge here is we have young adults born under Jammeh regime some brought up in it, are they too far gone in the sense of adapting some of the senselessness witnessed through their life?
We need to realize that the establishment of well-constructed political institutions has never in themselves been sufficiently strong foundation to maintain constitutional democracy. The civic mission of any schools is to foster the qualities of mind and heart required for successful government within a constitutional democracy. Ultimately a free society must depend on its citizens, on their knowledge, skills, and civic virtues.
Their Self-discipline, respect for others, persistence, concern for the common good, civility, punctuality, personal responsibility and other character traits can be fostered in school and community service learning projects, such as tutoring younger students, caring for the school environment, and other traits relevant to citizenship can be promoted through cooperative learning activities. These dispositions must be fostered and nurtured by word and study and by the power of example. Democracy is not a "machine that would go of itself," but must be consciously reproduced, one generation after another.
If the Gambia is to build a strong and responsible democracy and a prosperous and growing economy into the next republic, it must be prepared to address and respond to core challenges, establish reflection on ethical issues while foster a steady development over time as a result of what one learns and experiences in the home, school, community, and organizations of civil society coupled with political tolerance.
Khaleel