Ali Mazrui was an intellectual alright of the academic type, in my opinion He will be remembered,among others, for his counter narratives of African History on  mainstream BBC TV,around 1984,following Basil Davidson's exceptional narratives on Channel four(which had just gone into broadcasting).

It was fairly obvious that Ali Mazrui,was used as a counter weight by the establishment to provide a counter narrative to Davidson's left-leaning but informed narratives. This stirred a debate in university campuses and intellectual circles in UK at the time, particularly among Africans and diaspora black people.

Ali will be remembered for his love of Literature,and African history.

Aib Jobe
From: suntou touray <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 14 October 2014, 16:15
Subject: Re: [G_L] Ali Mazrui: R.I.P, Pan-African Legend

Yero
Indeed he was a patriot. May his soul rest in peace. Ameen
Thanks Mawdo
Suntou
On 14 Oct 2014 13:56, "Y Jallow" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29599933

Suntoumana,

I was greeted by this bbc link from another comrade who enlightened me on his personal experience with the deceased years back, his attestation of an intellectual giant and a moving and influential intellectual.

Even though I do not know the man, it is quite saddening from the eulogies.  He is a true patriot, a hero,a renowned intellual, a fighter and a great son of Africa. It is a great loss and may the great spirit for which he lived be mercy for him before the great Rabb. Rest in peace till again.

Thanks for sharing.